Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Current Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 PM
What is the Cloverfield monster? What do you think?

Of course, this thread is going to have major spoilers in it.

Ok for those that have seen it, what was the monster? What are your theories?

My biggest question is, was there only one? I ask this because sometimes it looked like a Tripod, sometimes it looked like a Quadropod. Also, when they are in the helicopter and it is being bombed by the Stealth bombers, it starts to look a little worse for the wear, but then when Hud gets eaten at Central Park, it looks fine and slightly different in my opinion.

But this could of just been inconstancies in CGI of course. What do you think?

Also where did it come from? So at the start theres an earth quake right, and it comes out of the crack or what?

What are your theories? Alien? Monster from the deep? Mystical monster? Mutant? Government made like Hud says?

Just thought it would be fun to speculate, although I think that the fact they didnt specify any of it in the movie, because it just didnt matter to the plot, was awesome.

Last edited by Rukas; 01-17-2008 at 09:14 PM..
Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 PM
http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=435291

It will be explained more in the sequel. Remember, this videotape was labeled "Cloverfield" by the government and you can bet your ass, given Abrams' past, there's going to be a sequel that's going to give us some more info.

At the very end of the movie, when you see them on the ferris wheel, you can see something "spash" into the water behind him, waaaay in the distance. Someone people are speculating that it's the monster falling from the sky, making it something from space; an alien being, basically.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 PM
spoiler warnings please
Old 01-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreySlayDisplay View Post
spoiler warnings please
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukas View Post
Of course, this thread is going to have major spoilers in it.
There was...
Old 01-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreySlayDisplay View Post
spoiler warnings please
How do you even click on a topic like this if you're avoiding spoilers?

Think McFly, think.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfather View Post
Yeah I've seen it. I know what it looks like, Ive seen the movie, this thread is not about what it looks like, but speculation over WHAT it is and WHERE it came from?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 PM
That's Futureman.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 PM
THAT'S the monster

No longer sure if I want to see this. Looks kinda...gay, haha
Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Why isn't this in the Cloverfield thread where it belongs?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukas View Post
Yeah I've seen it. I know what it looks like, Ive seen the movie, this thread is not about what it looks like, but speculation over WHAT it is and WHERE it came from?
What it Is: A plot coupon.
Where It Came From: Drew Goddard's head.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfather View Post
What it Is: A plot coupon.
Where It Came From: Drew Goddard's head.

Wow, you're brilliant. Really.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclicNightmare View Post
Why isn't this in the Cloverfield thread where it belongs?
Because the Cloverfield thread is for reviews and impressions about the movie, this isn't.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:17 PM
there will def be a sequel...at the end of the credits there is some static that doesnt really come out to be anything but some people played it backwards and it says "its still alive"
http://boomp3.com/m/bd034dfca370
Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 PM
"I'm going with outta space, no way this is a local boy"

I like to think it came from space. Maybe the first of an invasion.
Also the idea that it came up from deep inside the earth after the earthquake is pretty cool. Only problem with that is it did not seem like something that had only lived in the dark, it also did not seem like it had been living on the bottom of the ocean.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 PM
well i think it starts when the oil drilling station gets taken down so i guess they mightve been drillin and woke this fucker up
Old 01-18-2008, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfox1220 View Post
well i think it starts when the oil drilling station gets taken down so i guess they mightve been drillin and woke this fucker up
It was an oil tanker not drilling station.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:11 AM
Is Gwaka actually supposed to be this creatures name?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeperBEATNGU View Post
Is Gwaka actually supposed to be this creatures name?
No.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm guessing that manga will somewhat explain this.

It seems like it's found from the ocean so far, but where it's actually from i dunno. There's bound to be clues, i mean especially with all that slusho stuff round (which from what i remember points to the sea?). I also kinda think like the host, human tampering with something...but it does'nt look really much like anything else.

Plus was anyone else reminded of those things from the res evil remake (gamecube) with the small 'offspring' the monster dropped?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Were the things the monster dropped working for it though? Were they off spring? Or were they just parasites that lived on the creatures body and then fell off?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:11 AM
I go with parasites. It makes more sense.

Space Aliens dont travel without ships, plus theyre not giant mindless monsters theyre usually more advanced than us, since we havent visited any planets.

It does look like it has salamander skin, and it looks pretty amphibian, as far evolution and animals is concerned, it is possible that ancient amphibian species could haved moved to the dark cold bottom of the ocean, and adapted to it without losing the amphibian qualities just yet.

Considering the style of realism in this movie, Id say it came from the ocean, it obviously makes it more believable as a concept.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:27 PM
well if "it's still alive" can be heard at the end of the film (i left during the credits) than JJ and co. are doing a great job of keeping us in the dark. check out the latest pic on 1-18-08.com

looks pretty dead to me.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:58 PM
That thing looks so familiar. He looks like a mash of a bunch of monsters.

Not all that impressed, but i'll still see the movie regardless.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Teeray you haven't seen anything yet, that image above is a fragment of what the monster looks like at one specific point in the movie.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Personally I like the it came from the depths of the ocean idea. It was sleeping or hiding or trapped or whatever. Seems logical to me.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:39 PM
It was mantra. In the sequel he will fight godzilla.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Elvis.

I've no fucking idea. I'm leaning towards something the Hud character said at one point: That we created it. Some military deal gone all wrong. Which would kinda explain why they were so willing to just wipe the slate clean as it were.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Speaking of 1-18-08.com, what the fuck is that photo of the Japanese chef holding up a dish? It has a bunch of Japanese writing on the back, anybody care to translate?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 PM
If you look at it logically, it had to be alien. Think about it. No life form on earth, or in earth's past, had sufficient enough skin/exo-skeleton/shell/whatever to withstand direct hits from modern day munitions. In the movie they score multiple direct hits with bombs. There's no way a living creature from earth would have survived that.

I'm no biologist, but what's the hardest, most durable organic thing produced by nature? Enamel? Bone? Shell? I don't think there's anything organic produced by nature that could withstand that barrage.

Even if the monster had steel or granite for a shell, I think modern day bombs, with a direct hit, could penetrate it.

So from a strictly logical, biological stand point, it had to be alien. But movies don't usually stick to logic, so it was probably a mutated alligator someone flushed down the toilet in 1912.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
"I'm going with outta space, no way this is a local boy"
well with that said is off to watch Tremors
Old 01-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo513 View Post
If you look at it logically, it had to be alien. Think about it. No life form on earth, or in earth's past, had sufficient enough skin/exo-skeleton/shell/whatever to withstand direct hits from modern day munitions. In the movie they score multiple direct hits with bombs. There's no way a living creature from earth would have survived that.

I'm no biologist, but what's the hardest, most durable organic thing produced by nature? Enamel? Bone? Shell? I don't think there's anything organic produced by nature that could withstand that barrage.

Even if the monster had steel or granite for a shell, I think modern day bombs, with a direct hit, could penetrate it.

So from a strictly logical, biological stand point, it had to be alien. But movies don't usually stick to logic, so it was probably a mutated alligator someone flushed down the toilet in 1912.
I understand what you're saying but our understanding of biological and organic material is limited to the scope of what we know exists.

All I am saying, is that if this creature came out of the ocean after an earth quake, it either lived in the as yet unexplored deep sea and had to have been very durable to withstand the water pressure down there, or beneath the earths surface (and thus came out of the crack the earth quake produced) and had to survive in extremely pressured conditions, perhaps around the molten core, explaining it withstanding explosions and heat producing muntions.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah, but still, we know a lot about earth, what it's made of, etc. We know a lot about the universe and it's contents. There are probably elements we haven't discovered, but here on earth, I'm certain we know what's here by now.

I just don't think earth can produce a biological entity that can withstand what the cloverfield monster endured.

I mean come on, even if it was a man-made genetic experiment with diamond or carbon fiber skin, how believable is that? The best answer is that it is composed of unknown substances from outer space.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo513 View Post
Yeah, but still, we know a lot about earth, what it's made of, etc. We know a lot about the universe and it's contents. There are probably elements we haven't discovered, but here on earth, I'm certain we know what's here by now.

I just don't think earth can produce a biological entity that can withstand what the cloverfield monster endured.

I mean come on, even if it was a man-made genetic experiment with diamond or carbon fiber skin, how believable is that? The best answer is that it is composed of unknown substances from outer space.

Yeah but theres a lot of unexplored ocean out there, especially in the deep sea. I understand what you're saying, but the possibility is still there for a deep sea creature that we just dont expect.

http://www.who-sucks.com/animals/rea...es-of-the-deep

Not to mention if life exists under the surface of the planet, in its core, it would need to withstand amazing habitats.

But having said that, it will probably turn out to be of Alien origin, and what points to that the most in my opinion is not the create itself, but the parasites that fall off of it.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:40 PM
My theory is...IT'S LAVOS, GOD DAMMIT!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 PM
There are sea creatures that can stand enough pressure to turn a submarine into a tin can and they can stand more pressure than anything we have built. The problem is when you bring these creatures out of that crushing depth they can't survive, they die from the lack of pressure.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Anyone have a picture of the thing falling from the sky while they are on the ferris wheel?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpreacher View Post
Anyone have a picture of the thing falling from the sky while they are on the ferris wheel?
Or better yet, video?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDsoulsurvive* View Post
well if "it's still alive" can be heard at the end of the film (i left during the credits) than JJ and co. are doing a great job of keeping us in the dark. check out the latest pic on 1-18-08.com

looks pretty dead to me.
Actually a lot of those pictures are parts that we never saw, and those bloody pictures are actually whales on the beach tore apart...
Old 01-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Straight from the man himself, JJ Abrams.

Quote:
"The concept for the monster is simple. He's a baby. He's brand-new. He's confused, disoriented and irritable. And he's been down there in the water for thousands and thousands of years."
Then again, this is from the imdb.com FAQ with no source. XD