Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Here's yet another problem with this story (since trashing it is pretty much the only value to be had); in BRAND NEW DAY, Peter has been returned (I would say "reduced") to roughly the same character he was in the late 70s/early 80s, a 20-something hard luck kid who is single, unemployed except for his part-time photography gig, living with Aunt May, and missing out on life because of his responsibilities as Spider-Man. Here's the thing though: He's not really a 20-something anymore. People's memories have been altered and time has been undone, but the clock hasn't ACTUALLY been turned back. Logically, Peter is now chronologically the same age he was before his deal with the devil, which makes him a 30-something guy who is single, unemployed, and living with his "mom". I know that he's supposed to be kind of a loser, but there's point at which he stops being a lovable and starts being kind of sad...
Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
...which makes him a 30-something guy who is single, unemployed, and living with his "mom". I know that he's supposed to be kind of a loser, but there's point at which he stops being a lovable and starts being kind of sad...
What the fuck? Man, you're making me feel like the biggest loser on the planet.

... but does Peter have a Command Center?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Whoops, sorry man.

Alright, well, maybe he's not a giant loser (backpedal backpedal backpedal), but you've gotta admit it's a step down from being a happily married college professor who was on the Avengers.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Whoops, sorry man.

Alright, well, maybe he's not a giant loser (backpedal backpedal backpedal), but you've gotta admit it's a step down from being a happily married college professor who was on the Avengers.
No, actually, I know exactly what you're saying, and yes I agree.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:13 AM
What we have now is a character who apparently hasn't done anything with his life since college (how many years that's been is impossible to say, since time is relative in Marvel comics, and has just been altered anyway), seems like he's just been in some kind of years-long rut and not accomplishing much new. Of course, that's because he's Spider-Man on the side and that makes a normal life difficult (that's always been the big point of the comic), but nevertheless this is kind of a grim and depressing version of Peter. It seems that he's poured everything into superheroing and hasn't gotten anything in return.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:33 AM
My biggest problem is how much of a fucking idiot this makes Peter look like.

'WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY"

..and he goes on to make a deal with fucking Mephisto( LORD OF ALL EVIL! Not a good thing!) to bring loved ones back that are already dead or dying, and so the world can forget hes Spider-man.

I already hated his little shit-fit when Aunt May got shot because what else did he think was going to happen when he unmasked himself to the world??

Hes been written as a selfish ass who runs from reality, unwilling to admit his own mistakes.

Galactus just needs to swoop down and eat half the Marvel universe right now.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorrick brown View Post
but even ultimates 3 is rather blah and thats loeb and joe mad.which sucks as i`ve been waiting for mad to return.
sweet jebus say it aint so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
to bring loved ones back that are already dead or dying
Again, lol
Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorrick brown View Post
i gave up reading spiderman zonks ago.

but even ultimates 3 is rather blah and thats loeb and joe mad.which sucks as i`ve been waiting for mad to return.

Ultimares 3 is "blah". No way. Sure its not great but its only on book 1 out of 5. Wait for Magneto to show up. That'll take it out of "blah" stage.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Here's an interview about "One More Day".

Quote:
To explain, here's the conversation I had with Marvel, in sum:

"So what does Mephisto do?" I ask.

"He makes everybody forget Peter's Spider-Man."

"Uh, huh. So Aunt May's still in the hospital --"

"No, he saves Aunt May."

"But if all he does is save her life and make everybody forget he's Spidey, she still has a scar on her midsection."

"No, he makes that go away too."

"Okay...:

"Then he wakes up in her house."

"The house that was burned down?"

"Right."

"But how --"

"Mephisto undoes that as well."

"Okay. And the guys who shot at Peter and May and were killed, they're alive too? Mephisto can bring guys back from the dead?"

"It's all part of the spell."

"And Doc Strange can't tell?"

"No,"

"And the newspaper articles? News footage?"

"Joe, it's been forgotten."

"I'm just asking is that stuff there or not there?"

"Not there. And Peter's web shooters are back."

"Is this the same spell or a different spell?"

"Same spell."

"How does making people forget he's Spidey bring back his web shooters?"

"It's magic, okay?"

"I see. And Harry's back."

"Right."

"And Mephisto does this too."

"Yep."

"So is Harry back from the dead, or has he been alive? If they ask him, hey Harry, what did you do last summer, will he remember? And the year before? And the year before? If he says they all went on a picnic two years ago, will they remember it?"

"It's --"

"Because if he now has a life he remembers, if he's not back from the dead, then you've changed the continuity you said you didn't want to change. Those are your only options: he was brought back from the dead, and there's a grave, and people remember him dying --"

"Mephisto changes THEIR memories too."

"-- or he's effectively been alive as far as our characters know, so he's been alive all along, so either way as far as our characters are concerned, continuity's been violated going back to 1971.

How do you explain that?"

"It's magic, we don't have to explain it."
SOURCE
Old 01-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Halloween View Post

SOURCE

OK, cool. Thanks for that link.

That clears everything up.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:39 AM
Isn't it very out of character for Mephisto to keep his word like this? Also, isn't Aunt May liable to die soon anyway? She's gotta be older than Mr. Burns by now.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Isn't it very out of character for Mephisto to keep his word like this? Also, isn't Aunt May liable to die soon anyway? She's gotta be older than Mr. Burns by now.
Having Aunt May die would completely alter Peter's lifestyle. That would mean that he'd have to fend for himself. He might get to keep the house, but he also might have to get a REAL job to pay bills and what-not.
Also, it would change the whole Spider-Man mythos. This is already proven to be a bad move, thus the whole deal with Mephisto.

It's a vicious circle, really.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
Having Aunt May die would completely alter Peter's lifestyle. That would mean that he'd have to fend for himself. He might get to keep the house, but he also might have to get a REAL job to pay bills and what-not.
Also, it would change the whole Spider-Man mythos. This is already proven to be a bad move, thus the whole deal with Mephisto.

It's a vicious circle, really.

Which means its pointless to read the comic since MARVEL is pretty much delcaring war on any type of change to Spider-man EVER.

In the few years its been out, Thanks to this wonderful movie by Marvel, ULTIMATE Spider-man has now had more character progression then Spider-mans entire run.

Mephisto doing all this for Spidey makes no sense at all. Spidey agreeing to it makes even LESS sense.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Well obviously Marvel can keep Aunt May alive for as long as they want (she's already come back from the dead twice, quite an impressive record for a non-superpowered character), I'm just saying, if I were Peter Parker and the devil offered me this deal, I couldn't help but think that I'd be buying her, what, ten years at the most? Probably less, since, again, it's very unlike Mephisto to keep his word.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:33 PM
If Aunt May gets hit by a bus in the nest issue then this will all have been worth it.

..and then Mephisto will appear in front of Peter, say "ha-ha!", and go poof.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Quote:

SOURCE
Man, I'm trying to read all this today with a hangover, and it's making my head hurt more and more. I can't tell who's fault all this is--though it's looking more and more like Joey Q's, which is what we thought.

In effect, they're retconning all the shitty JMS stories out of existance, which is a good thing. He has to be one of the worst things to ever happen to the Spidey books until this.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Okay, so I succumbed to the hype monster and picked up Amazing #546 & 547. I had to see for myself what they were doing. It's an okay story so far--I just don't see the point. This whole thing that Spidey revealed his idenity but no one remembers--are you fucking kidding me? These issues read and feel like Ultimate Spiderman too. I do like Dan Slott's writing pretty well, & McNiven's art is awesome but not as awesome as his work on Civil War. I don't know if I want to keep dropping $2.99 three times a month for this if they're gonna stretch out this story ad infinitum like lately.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
I don't know if I want to keep dropping $2.99 three times a month for this if they're gonna stretch out this story ad infinitum like lately.

I simply cannot shell out 9 bucks a month basically for one series, no matter how much I love Spidey! I've got other things to read. Bastards.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:59 PM
What would be cool. If about 12 issues from now the top wizards like Dr. Strange, Von Doom, and the Scarlet Witch would sense something is out of place. Since Spidey is so popular some things he did that got erased might effect almost everyone. So some of the top mystic types would sense something is out of place and find out that Spidey is the culprit. Then they'd go after Spidey, then Mephisto. Then they'd change everything back.

It would never happen though.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratlehed View Post
What would be cool. If about 12 issues from now the top wizards like Dr. Strange, Von Doom, and the Scarlet Witch would sense something is out of place. Since Spidey is so popular some things he did that got erased might effect almost everyone. So some of the top mystic types would sense something is out of place and find out that Spidey is the culprit. Then they'd go after Spidey, then Mephisto. Then they'd change everything back.

It would never happen though.
It NEEDS to. Fast.

Spidey needs to realize u cant just "fix" shit by making a deal with the devil.

What would poor uncle Ben say?

Probably, "why the fuck didnt u wish me back to life while u were at it!?"
Old 01-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Probably, "why the fuck didnt u wish me back to life while u were at it!?"
That's another reason why it sucks.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Dont leave out Gwen!

Spider-man needs a hottie now that hes wished his wife away.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Even with the "It's magic" thing in their corner, this severely fucks up the last three decades of Spider-Man continuity. Harry Osborn is apparently alive again, for example. I guess the rationale is that if MJ had stayed with him he wouldn't have gone off the deep end and ended up offing himself while trying to kill Peter. Okay, fair enough, but now you have to sit down and figure out how ever Spider-Man story since Spectacular Spider-Man #200 might have been different with Harry in it (this is particularly troublesome with the Norman Osborn stories. Is he alive now or not?). And think about the Clone story, if you dare. Hard to imagine how that would have gone with no MJ in it.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 AM
"ITS MAGIC!!" seems to be the only answer Marvel is giving.

..and thats okay. For writing this shitty, magic is about the only answer that makes sense.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Even with the "It's magic" thing in their corner, this severely fucks up the last three decades of Spider-Man continuity. Harry Osborn is apparently alive again, for example. I guess the rationale is that if MJ had stayed with him he wouldn't have gone off the deep end and ended up offing himself while trying to kill Peter. Okay, fair enough, but now you have to sit down and figure out how ever Spider-Man story since Spectacular Spider-Man #200 might have been different with Harry in it (this is particularly troublesome with the Norman Osborn stories. Is he alive now or not?). And think about the Clone story, if you dare. Hard to imagine how that would have gone with no MJ in it.
This whole thing negates everything after say Amazing Spiderman Annual #21, the wedding issue, which came out in the freakin late 80s. So all that shit JMS wrote w/ Norman being alive and pulling strings (which was interesting but equally preposterous and equally insulting to 30+ years of continuous plot) will never have happened?

They brought Harry back in these ish's so he could own a Coffee Bean? Nuff said.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Quote:

SOURCE
wow...... As a die hard Spidey fan i have a few things to say after reading this....

1. Fuck you Quesada

2. The 2 main resaons this would fuck everything up are Gwen and Harry. Aside from MJ and May there are no other characters that have had a continuing impact on Peters life (and no i won't say Ben cause he's jsut a bloddy plot devise) and to change thier impact on Peter would change Peter himself.

Quote:
In Joe’s story, Peter drops the dime on Harry, and that helps get him into rehab right away. Consequently, MJ stays with Harry, and Gwen never dies and never has her affair with Norman, etc., etc. And in the end, Peter and MJ are never married.”
First off i'd just like to say i didn't like JMS's lil Goblins story for one reason: giving Norman any reason aside from being a lunatic to kill Gwen takes away from the impact of her death.

But anyways, so Harry gets rehab and stays with MJ, so what happens to Liz Allen? Gwen never dies and i would assume stays with Peter, what is Norman up to all this time if not supposedly dead cause if he didn't kill Gwen then his final battle with Spidey probably never happened either?

Gwen never dies and therfor MJ is never started along her road to being a more responsible and caring person from the party all of the time girl she was. Now that last one doesn't even make sense for the whole thing as it was MJ's uncaring ways that were partly responsible for Harry's dive into drugs in the first place, so how does this relationship end out playing out?

This really just doesn't make sense what they are doing and if the whole reason is cause the inability to write Peter a wife then how the fuck has it been done for the past 20 years? What is it about MJ, marriage or even comics tahts changed to make her such a difficult character to write?

Oh and 4. Fuck you Quesada
Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Gwen never dies and therfor MJ is never started along her road to being a more responsible and caring person from the party all of the time girl she was.
Crap. I didn't think about that bit. Ah, fuck you, Quesada.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 PM
So i was jsut reading a review for Brand New Day and the guy gets into all the hubub about One More Day in that BND is really good but will forever be brought down because of how lazy OMD was.

Anyways he gets to a part where perhaps down the line Marvel reviels why things are the way they are or what ever and he suggests one thing that in my mind could make all of this worth while and interesting.....

What if Harry is really Mephisto and its just Mephisto fucking with Peter? Now since i haven't read any of OMD or BND i don't know how well taht would fit into things in the tearms of all the stuff that was changed but i could totally dig this stuff if its all a ruse somehow, and also they could take it back without it seeming like such a copout.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Link to that review please?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
Link to that review please?
here ya go
Old 01-22-2008, 08:14 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 01-23-2008, 01:08 AM
That was amusing. Thank you, kind sir.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 AM
That was fucking hilarious.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I haven't read Spidey (apart from Ultimate which I love) for about 8 years, but from what I'm reading about OMD/BND both here and elsewhere it sounds as though they've taken all of the stories that I grew up with and loved (even, to a degree, the Maximum Clonage mess), and effectively done a Dallas on them (*google 'Dallas Bobby Shower' if you want to know what I mean )

Oh well, I still have my memories, and happy ones they are too (except Aunt May dying* in issue 400 of ASM).

*or did she? who knows anymore?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettdog View Post
I haven't read Spidey (apart from Ultimate which I love) for about 8 years, but from what I'm reading about OMD/BND both here and elsewhere it sounds as though they've taken all of the stories that I grew up with and loved (even, to a degree, the Maximum Clonage mess), and effectively done a Dallas on them (*google 'Dallas Bobby Shower' if you want to know what I mean )

Oh well, I still have my memories, and happy ones they are too (except Aunt May dying* in issue 400 of ASM).

*or did she? who knows anymore?
oh snap thats right, this is totally a Dallas for sure