Old 01-31-2001, 04:27 PM
VIDEO CAPSULE: One Fine Day (7/10)

ONE FINE DAY starring Michelle Pfeiffer and George Clooney

There was a reason that I skipped this movie in the theatres, and it has everything to do with what I like to refer to as "the Nora Ephron syndrome". Slap a couple of big name stars in a "romantic comedy" vehicle with a very THIN storyline, add a dash of classic tunes that everyone could relate to, have a quirky sidekick on either end, and don't try to guess how it'll end up, cause we all know how it will, et voila!! (cha-chink!)

Anyhoo, you could check out many of these cookie-cutters of late, including WHAT WOMEN WANT and THE WEDDING PLANNER, which both kinda sucked, but this film was surprisingly different. It actually had a little ZING with its ZANG.

Sure, most of the basics are there for the "Nora Syndrome" but Clooney and Pfeiffer take it to another level. They are just so gosh-darn CHARMING, you can't help but love the two bastards!! Add to that the fact that the story ISN'T based primarily in mush, but some antagonistic feelings towards one another, and dude...I enjoyed it...what can I say?

The kids were EXTREMELY ANNOYING and made me re-think the idea of ever having any myself (I'm hoping that they were "supposed" to be annoying), but other than that, the film is pretty safe, pretty cute, pretty funny, pretty romantic and George Clooney rocks my world! (oh yeah...Pfeiffer, too!)

PS: It was the Mrs' nite to pick the video. Doh! Tomorrow night it's THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS...never seen it...kewl!!
Old 02-08-2001, 05:23 AM
<moderator bump>
Old 09-24-2001, 02:21 PM
Great review JoBlo, and I must completely agree with you on most accounts. What makes this a brillaint, light and pleasing film is it's simplicity. We dive deep enough into each character just by seeing a glimpse of a day in their life, and that's all you need. Pfeiffer and Clooney are nothing less than stellar. Their genuine charm leaps from the screen and just puts that warm fuzzy feeling inside you (c'mon guys we all like that feeling once in a while )

The cinematography and audio truly capture the essence of Manhattan and like this film there really is not much else to say except this movie is truly just, "One Fine Day."

Old 09-24-2001, 05:33 PM
I really liked this movie when I first saw it on video a few years ago. It is one of the better romantic comedies to come out of Hollywood in the past few years. It's manipulative, but it works and is pleasing to the audience.

And, by the way, Jo, The Ghost and the Darkness is not all that great of a movie, I was disappointed in it, hoping that it would have more suspense and action than it did. See it anyway... just to see it. But don't go in expecting anything great.

[This message has been edited by Fergus (edited 09-24-2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 07:10 AM
I enjoyed the film. It was light, breazy and romantic. And I absolutely LOVE Michelle Pfieffer! I had one big problem with this movie, however. I had a problem with the ending. What is the problem with the ending you ask? Simple, there is no ending. It just sort of peters out. And it felt rushed. It just felt like the filmakers were thinking: Uh-oh we are reaching the one hour fifty mark so we better end this. And by doing that the scene feels rushed and the movie doesn't really have much of an ending. Still, the rest of the movie before is entertaining enough to forgive it for that one big flaw. Especailly since Clooney and Pfieffer work so well together.
Grade: B
Old 09-27-2001, 11:07 AM
The truth is that I think George Clooney is not a good actor.Although I enjoyed his performance here, but I`ll give the movie a smaller grade: 5.5/10.It was nothing special.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:59 PM