Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Spiderman- ultimate marvel in general?

title pretty much explains it, what's ur guys/gals opinion on ultimate spidey, and the whole 'ultimate' universe?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:54 AM
Initially I liked Ultimate Spider-Man but got sick of Bendis' decompressed style; he took seven issues to do what Stan Lee did in 15 pages.

The only other Ultimate series that I've read is The Ultimates, which I STRONGLY recommend. Although a new issue came out about once every leap year, Millar and Hitch's entire 26-issue run are complete gold, taking some of the least interesting characters in the standard Marvel universe and transforming them into...well, something damn readable, which is more than you can say about the "standard" versions of Thor, Hank Pym, or Iron Man (Ultimate Thor, in particular, is awesome). Ultimates 2 is not not as good as the original series, and the last couple of issues get really ridiculous, but be that as it may, I don't think any Marvel fan's collection is complete without it.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Initially I liked Ultimate Spider-Man but got sick of Bendis' decompressed style; he took seven issues to do what Stan Lee did in 15 pages.
Yeah, I read an article in (probably) Wizard where Bagley was saying that Bendis was trying to turn it into a sorta deconstruction, I guess?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:36 AM
See...I really like what Bendis did with Ultimate Spiderman, it was more detailed, and gave a real insight into what Peter Parker was enduring...you actually knew shit about the supporting characters, and the plots were a tad bit more solid.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 PM
I only have 2 Ultimate Spidey books. It was the Morbius story. I really liked it.

I have an Ultimate FF trade. The one where Thor becomes President, Doom and Reed switch bodies and the zombie FF are trapped in the Baxter building. I enjoyed those stories as well.

Ultimate Power was o.k.. But there was to many heros/villians that no one had alot of impact. The story was good though.

I have Ultimates 3 #1 and am looking forward to reading the rest.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Spider Man - has its ups and downs but overall is pretty good
Fav Stories: Venom & Clone saga
8.5/10

Ultimate X-Men - Great use of the characters for the most part with interesting stories
Fav Stories: Ultimate War & the issue with Wolverine and the kid in the Cave
8/10

Ultimate Fantastic Four - I really enjoyed the take on these characters and where they went with them. Most of the stories have been pretty good with small dips here and there
Fav Stories: the first 18 issues & everything after Think Tank
9/10

Ultimates - i have yet to read anyhting of theirs aside from when they cross over withthe other books
Fav Stories - Ultimate War

I haven't bothered with the rest of the tie in Ultimate stuff like the DD & Electra stuff. Its good though that they are keeping hte books to a minimum so they can keep a good eye on the Bendi..... i meen Ultimate Universe
Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Isnt Ultimate Spidey and Ultimate Kitty Pryde boyfriend/girlfriend??? I remember reading the 2 Spiderman books that I got that Peter really likes Pryde. It would be cool if MJ was a different person in the Ultimate Spider Man world.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratlehed View Post
Isnt Ultimate Spidey and Ultimate Kitty Pryde boyfriend/girlfriend??? I remember reading the 2 Spiderman books that I got that Peter really likes Pryde. It would be cool if MJ was a different person in the Ultimate Spider Man world.
they were for a while yeah which created some interesting tension between him and MJ which Bendis handled pretty well. But in the long run Peter's feeling for MJ win out and he goes back to her just after the Clone saga. After that though i'm not sure as i need to catch up.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I really like Ultimate Spidey. As a long time reader of the 'classic' Spidey stuff (I started in the mid70s as a kid and stopped when they went back to issue 1 around the turn of the century), I love this alternate take on Spidey's history.

It's not always perfect, but on the whole I enjoy my regualr fix.