Old 03-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Harland Williams

I have a thing for the 'offbeat' characters, and one of my all time favorites is the hilarious Harland Williams. Some of his best performances:
  • The State Trooper who drinks the pee in Dumb & Dumber
  • Even though Disney isn't my favorite, he was funny as hell in Rocket Man
  • Kenny in Half Baked! Don't drop the soap!
  • His random role in the SNL based Superstar with Molly Shannon
  • Tom Green's friend who got his legged ripped open in a hilarious scene from Freddy Got Fingered
  • Roberta in the VERY underrated Sorority Boys
  • I hated the movie, but his latest memorable role in Employee of the Month

...and my absolute favorite, the Hitchhiker and his '7-minute abs' idea in There's Something About Mary:

Quote:
Hitchhiker: You heard of this thing, the 8-Minute Abs?
Ted: Yeah, sure, 8-Minute Abs. Yeah, the excercise video.
Hitchhiker: Yeah, this is going to blow that right out of the water. Listen to this: 7... Minute... Abs.
Ted: Right. Yes. OK, all right. I see where you're going.
Hitchhiker: Think about it. You walk into a video store, you see 8-Minute Abs sittin' there, there's 7-Minute Abs right beside it. Which one are you gonna pick, man?
Ted: I would go for the 7.
Hitchhiker: Bingo, man, bingo. 7-Minute Abs. And we guarantee just as good a workout as the 8-minute folk.
Ted: You guarantee it? That's - how do you do that?
Hitchhiker: If you're not happy with the first 7 minutes, we're gonna send you the extra minute free. You see? That's it. That's our motto. That's where we're comin' from. That's from "A" to "B".
Ted: That's right. That's - that's good. That's good. Unless, of course, somebody comes up with 6-Minute Abs. Then you're in trouble, huh?
[Hitchhiker convulses]
Hitchhiker: No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart goin, not even a mouse on a wheel.
Ted: That - good point.
Hitchhiker: 7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 doors. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.
Ted: Why?
Hitchhiker: 'Cause you're fuckin' fired!
Classic!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 AM

An irritating, annoying actor who is only good in small doses (Mary, Dumber), but when given leads (the painful Rocket Man, the suicide-inducing Sorority Boys, the double-team by him and Jim Breuer to make Half-Baked as shitty as possible), proves that not all good comedians are actually appealing comic actors...
Old 03-16-2008, 01:58 PM

LOL! To each his own, I guess.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Don't forget the bumbling hitman in The Whole Nine Yards

But I agree with JJ in general, he's better on stage in his own element, or in smaller doses on film. His bit about getting a vegetarian lecture was classic.

"My friend, he's a vegetarian, he says, 'Ya know, it's healthier not to eat meat.' So I held up my big, thick juicy steak and wagged it right in his face and said 'Ya know, this COW used to be a vegetarian...'."

And his Chewbacca impression is bang-on, from where I'm sitting.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:26 PM
I liked him untill the movie surf school.good lord ,dude must be hard up for work.

but half baked is a classic.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Half Baked is one of the best stoner movies. I still laugh to this day while watching this movie.

I got my brother his stand up comedy show, What A Treat, as one of his presents. Not bad, but not great.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlamingo View Post
An irritating, annoying actor who is only good in small doses (Mary, Dumber), but when given leads (the painful Rocket Man, the suicide-inducing Sorority Boys, the double-team by him and Jim Breuer to make Half-Baked as shitty as possible), proves that not all good comedians are actually appealing comic actors...
He and Breuer are quite possibly my two favorite comedians that get snubbed in the world of film. Also Norm McDonald. We need more of those guys.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith fan View Post
He and Breuer are quite possibly my two favorite comedians that get snubbed in the world of film. Also Norm McDonald. We need more of those guys.
I agree on Norm McDonald (Dirty Work is genius) but obviously not on the other two...
Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Oh God... Slater. Every time I watch that, he cracks me up even though he doesn't say anything most of the movie. Actually that's probably why.

And Half Baked... Love that movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlamingo View Post
I agree on Norm McDonald (Dirty Work is genius) but obviously not on the other two...
Dirty Work is hilarious.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:07 PM

His stand up is great and he was funny as hell in Rocket Man.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 PM

He's better at standup than he is in movies. The last time he was on Conan was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. For those who didn't see it he was concerned that whales were swimming up the Hudson River on the NYC backdrop on Conan's set so to prevent this tragedy he asked Conan's permission to warn the whale's to turn back and head for open waters. What followed had me in tears.