Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2008, 01:26 AM
"They Died?!?" Which Celebs Have Been Dead & You Had NO Idea For the Longest Time?

When watching The Green Mile the other night with friends, I had pointed out the fact that Michael Jeter, (Eduard Delacroix) had died of AIDS back in 2003. To everyone's surprise, they had no idea he even died, which of course made everyone sad. (Oops!)

But this got me thinking... has there been a time where you were chatting with friends, or reading some news article, and you read about a past celebrity death and it shocked the living hell out of you? "What, I didn't know they died?!?"

Here's a few that I can think of:

Michael Jeter, 50 (AIDS)

Michelle Thomas, 29 (Not sure too many people know about her. She played Myra Monkhouse on the fabulous Family Matters with Urkel. She died from a rare form of stomach cancer. She refused to get treatment, because she was afraid it would cause her to not have any children! How awful... she might have lived if she would have just tried. Her story is pretty interesting.)

Jonathan Brandis, 27 (Suicide by hanging. I had no idea he died until I was looking up The Neverending Story II on IMDB one day. I also loved him in The Stepfather 2 and It.)

Ashleigh Ashton Moore, 26 (Heroin overdose. You may remember her as Chrissy in Now and Then). She struggled with depression for years after her failed career. Truly heartbreaking. Her MySpace HERE.

Rest in Peace guys.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:31 AM
WOW I knew about Jeter and Brandis but I had no clue about the girl from Family Matters and Now and Then. That is truely sad.

Some of my picks are

Big L

(This dude was one of the sickest rappers of the 90s and I got into him during my later years in high school. I asked one of my buddies why he hadnt released an album in so long...he replied, "Uh dude, he got shot and killed.")

Justin Pierce

(He played Casper in Kids and he was also in Next Friday. I looked him up on imdb and was interested in what he was doing. Apparently he shot himself.)
Old 03-19-2008, 05:00 AM

Judith Barsi.

Known as most known for her rolls as Ducky in The Land Before Time, and Anne-Marie in All Dogs Go to Heaven.

She was murdered, along with her mother Maria Barsi, by her father, Jozsef Barsi at the tender age of 10.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Everybody in this thread I either knew was dead or didn't know of at all, but...this has happened to me before.

About a year ago, I made a concerted effort to watch Angel from beginning to end, rather than in just scattershot episodes, as it aired on TNT. As I was watching the first season, I kept thinking that Glenn Quinn, who played Doyle, was really cool and appealing and wondering why I hadn't seen him in anything else. Looking him up on the IMDB, I found that he'd died of a Heroin overdose several years ago, which slipped right past my notice at the time.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
About a year ago, I made a concerted effort to watch Angel from beginning to end, rather than in just scattershot episodes, as it aired on TNT. As I was watching the first season, I kept thinking that Glen Quinn, who played Doyle, was really cool and appealing and wondering why I hadn't seen him in anything else. Looking him up on the IMDB, I found that he'd died of a Heroin overdose several years ago, which slipped right past my notice at the time.

Wow. Okay, now add that one to my list. That's just fucking sad.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 AM
When I listened to a commentary track of Dawson's Creek I was surprised to find out that the guy who played Pacey's father is dead.

I've known about it for a long time but a while back ago I wanted to know what the old Power Rangers were all up to and whether they were still acting or not. I was quite surprised to find out that the actress who played Trini, the Yellow Power Ranger, is dead. I think it was a car accident if I'm not mistaken.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Jonathon Brandis suicide still makes me a sad panda.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:05 AM

Thuy Trang better known as the Yellow Ranger from Power Rangers died in a car accident when the car she was riding in swerved off the road and hit a roadside rockface.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
When watching The Green Mile the other night with friends, I had pointed out the fact that Michael Jeter, (Eduard Delacroix) had died of AIDS back in 2003. To everyone's surprise, they had no idea he even died, which of course made everyone sad. (Oops!)

But this got me thinking... has there been a time where you were chatting with friends, or reading some news article, and you read about a past celebrity death and it shocked the living hell out of you? "What, I didn't know they died?!?"

Michael Jeter, 50 (AIDS)

Michelle Thomas, 29 (Not sure too many people know about her. She played Myra Monkhouse on the fabulous Family Matters with Urkel. She died from a rare form of stomach cancer. She refused to get treatment, because she was afraid it would cause her to not have any children! How awful... she might have lived if she would have just tried. Her story is pretty interesting.)

Jonathan Brandis, 27 (Suicide by hanging. I had no idea he died until I was looking up The Neverending Story II on IMDB one day. I also loved him in The Stepfather 2 and It.)

Ashleigh Ashton Moore, 26 (Heroin overdose. You may remember her as Chrissy in Now and Then). She struggled with depression for years after her failed career. Truly heartbreaking. Her MySpace HERE.

Rest in Peace guys.

I did not know about Michael Jeter. Damned shame.

Michelle Thomas, I did. She and Malcolm Jamal Warner were in a relationship and when she passed, it totally screwed him up. That was really sad to hear. She was so jubilant and perky every time she was on camera and I really think her character on "Family Matters" helped keep that show interesting as it lagged during those few Urkel heavy seasons.

I actually spoke to Jonathon Brandis on line back in the early days of AOL chat rooms. I didn't believe it was him at first but he relayed a boat load of personal information to me and sent me an autographed picture of himself, so I tend to believe it was him. It's so sad that he's no longer with us.

And I never saw "Now and Then", but it's truly sad to hear about that young woman.

Admission: (and I feel REALLY bad about this) I keep killing off Hal Holbrook. Every time someone mentions him, I say "oh, he died awhile back". Imagine my surprise when the guy gets nominated for a friggin' Oscar.

Sorry, Hal. I've got to check my facts better.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewDB View Post

Judith Barsi.

Known as most known for her rolls as Ducky in The Land Before Time, and Anne-Marie in All Dogs Go to Heaven.

She was murdered, along with her mother Maria Barsi, by her father, Jozsef Barsi at the tender age of 10.

I only found out about this a few months ago when I watched All Dogs Go To Heaven on TV....it was one of my favourites as kid, and while watching it this time I thought, 'wow, that child has the most adorable voice ever', so I looked her up on IMDb...and obviously found out the terrible story.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearMisfit View Post

Thuy Trang better known as the Yellow Ranger from Power Rangers died in a car accident when the car she was riding in swerved off the road and hit a roadside rockface.
Ah damn... I didn't know that. My favorite was always Kim! The pink one..

I'm surprised by most of these! This usually happens when the celeb in question wasn't well known per se, and their death is almost ignored.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
Everybody in this thread I either knew was dead or didn't know of at all, but...this has happened to me before.

About a year ago, I made a concerted effort to watch Angel from beginning to end, rather than in just scattershot episodes, as it aired on TNT. As I was watching the first season, I kept thinking that Glenn Quinn, who played Doyle, was really cool and appealing and wondering why I hadn't seen him in anything else. Looking him up on the IMDB, I found that he'd died of a Heroin overdose several years ago, which slipped right past my notice at the time.
I loved him in Roseanne, rented R.S.V.P. in 2003. After I saw R.S.V.P. I went on the net to see what his next project was and was shocked to see he had overdosed about a year before.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Well, she wasn't that much of a star, but I remember hearing that one of the girls who played the yellow Power Ranger died in a car accident.

Goddamn, this threat is depressing.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Kevin Smith, Ares on Hercules.

I was looking him up on IMDB.. Found out he fell from a tower (or something like that) and died on a movie set.

Last edited by SweetEnLow; 03-19-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Old 03-19-2008, 04:17 PM
John Cazale actually.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post

Justin Pierce

(He played Casper in Kids and he was also in Next Friday. I looked him up on imdb and was interested in what he was doing. Apparently he shot himself.)
Yea I remember looking up his imdb a couple of years back after seeing Kids, too bad He was great in Kids and Next Friday, its always sad when somebody htakes there own life.

You can add Glenn Quinn thats just sad. Also a year ago I found out Jim Varney and Rodney Dangerfield were dead, thats really sad because they were both great. I know I'm late but I didn't know.

Last edited by pablo_super1!; 03-19-2008 at 04:36 PM..
Old 03-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Quote:

There was actually an added tragedy to her death. She had a passenger riding with her in the car the night of the accident who is the wife of Dustin Ngyuen who, if you grew up in the 80's, played Harry Truman Ioki on 21 Jump Street. She survived the crash but it left her a quadriplegic

Last edited by electriclite; 03-20-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Old 03-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I had no idea about Michael Jeter or Justin Pierce. Damn shame!

R.I.P.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM

I was watching a rerun of 'Seinfeld' and I saw her and remembered her from 'Six Feet Under' and a few other shows. Looked her up, and damn -- she died in 2003.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeTheMooCow View Post

I was watching a rerun of 'Seinfeld' and I saw her and remembered her from 'Six Feet Under' and a few other shows. Looked her up, and damn -- she died in 2003.
Whaaaat? Dang!! I had no clue! I remember her as the prostitute in Six Feet Under, and she was definitely a great actress. Wow.. she died of Cardiac arrhythmia. Very sad.

*Edit* Maniacts! That's where I really remember her from. Maniacts was a really low budget horror movie that was actually pretty good. I'm still just shocked that she died.

Last edited by Lindsey; 03-20-2008 at 03:03 PM..
Old 03-20-2008, 03:12 PM
who are you 2 (Moo Cow & Lindsey) referring to in those last 2 posts??
Old 03-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Her name was Kellie Waymire.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
I had no idea Bruno Kirby died for several months.

Loved his performances in City Slickers and The Godfather, Part II.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Earl Hindman probably best know as Wilson from Home Improvement. Didn't find out he was dead until nearly a year after he died.

Just a few days ago I found out that Allen Melvin(Barney Fife in All In The Family and Sam the butcher in The Brady Bunch) died in January.

Also Heather O'Rourke the girl from the Poltergist movies. Very very sad.

Last edited by KCJ506; 03-21-2008 at 12:49 AM..
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
Earl Hindman probably best know as Wilson from Home Improvement. Didn't find out he was dead until nearly a year after he died.

Also Heather O'Rourke the girl from the Poltergist movies. Very very sad.
I think I remember hearing about the girl from Poltergiest.

But I didn't know Wilson from Home Improvement was dead. Awe, man. He was awesome. If they ever do a Home Improvement reunion he won't be able to be a part of it.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Rodney Dangerfield's grave is truly awesome. Really speaks to his character.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetEnLow View Post

I was looking him up on IMDB.. Found out he fell from a tower (or something like that) and died on a movie set.

Damn, i thought he was awesome.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post

Michael Jeter, 50 (AIDS)

Rest in Peace guys.

Wow didn't know about Michelle Thomas
Old 03-21-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Rodney Dangerfield's grave is truly awesome. Really speaks to his character.
I thought the same thing. It's just so wonderfully Rodney.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetEnLow View Post

I did not know about this.
A damned shame.
He was one of the best parts about "Hercules" as that series started dragging on, and then they added him to "Xena", which was brilliant.
Damned shame.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:59 PM
This was strange. I was just going to post my girlfriend just found out that Poltergeist star Heather O'Rourke died at the age of 12 from complications of Crohn's disease. We were watching the movie together when she asked whatever happened to her.

While setting up this post, I JUST found out the older sister in Poltergeist, played by Dominique Dunne, was murdered the same year of the movie's release in 1982. She was strangled by her boyfriend and died at the age of 23. The murderer even got off on manslaughter and only did a little bit less than four years in prison.

Last edited by KevinthePRF; 03-21-2008 at 02:04 PM..
Old 03-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Quote:

That's awful. I think I remember reading about that a few years ago, though.

Earl Hindman Died??????????????
Old 03-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoferox View Post
Earl Hindman Died??????????????
Yeah, not long after Tim Allen's semi-reunion of "Home Improvement" in which he was the narrator.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:32 AM
of all the roles michael jeter might have played, was he the same guy from tango & cash? y'know, the geeky guy with all of the "high tech" equipment that kurt russell just non-chalantly shoots up with a shotgun? pardon my stupidity and total obscurity of his roles.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Old 03-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clever guy View Post
of all the roles michael jeter might have played, was he the same guy from tango & cash? y'know, the geeky guy with all of the "high tech" equipment that kurt russell just non-chalantly shoots up with a shotgun? pardon my stupidity and total obscurity of his roles.
I believe that was Michael J. Pollard...
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlamingo View Post
I believe that was Michael J. Pollard...
nope. it was michael jeter.....just checked imdb
Old 03-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clever guy View Post
nope. it was michael jeter.....just checked imdb
Just checked it myself, officially BOTH were in the movie, but Jeter had a very small almost bit part, while the character you referenced (Owen) was played by Pollard...
Old 03-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlamingo View Post
Just checked it myself, officially BOTH were in the movie, but Jeter had a very small almost bit part, while the character you referenced (Owen) was played by Pollard...
Your're right, Pollard played the high tech guy. Athough I do remember Russell or Stallone shooting up equiptment that belonged to Jeter. But Pollard is the one who supplies the guys with that truck at the end.

Last edited by MisterTwister; 03-23-2008 at 12:20 AM..
Old 03-23-2008, 06:39 AM
On the flip side of the coin, I thought Karl Malden had been dead for some time until I saw he had been interviewed for the extras on "A Streetcar Named Desire."