Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Give em 'up! (Recommendations)

Short and sweet: I'm looking for crime novels. In the vein of NO COUNTRY, GONE BABY, MYSTIC RIVER, etc etc. I'm going to check out those books, actually, because I'm hoping to get more character detail.

I'm going to Barnes & Nobel today to pick up THE BLADE ITSELF which is getting amazing reviews.

Any and all crime drama recommendations!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm probably going to check out all of Lehane and McCarthy, for the record.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:30 PM
check out some George Pelecanos. if you like Lehane, you should dig him. he wrote for The Wire, has a lot of DC crime novels.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Check out Quinten Jaradine's Thursday Legends. Great scottish crime fiction. He has other books but i haven't read them since Thursday Legends is one of the few books that doesn't focus on the charater he usually focuses on but Thursday Legends is a great read.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Wasn't "Gone Baby Gone" based on a Lehane novel? Could've sworn...

Lincoln Child, maybe?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah, GBG is a Lehane novel.

Thanks for the recommendations so far guys!

DrJelly, I picked up SHAME THE DEVIL with THE BLADE ITSELF last night. Here's hoping for two great reads.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
I'm probably going to check out all of Lehane and McCarthy, for the record.
Mucho recommended - I'm actually in the middle of reading Sacred, by Lehane at the moment - absolutely love his books. I'd also recommend Robert Crais (based on having read the first couple of books), and an absolute must-read is Michael Connelly - for my money, the best crime author out there (based on what I've read so far)
Old 03-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroProtagonist View Post
Mucho recommended - I'm actually in the middle of reading Sacred, by Lehane at the moment - absolutely love his books. I'd also recommend Robert Crais (based on having read the first couple of books), and an absolute must-read is Michael Connelly - for my money, the best crime author out there (based on what I've read so far)
Thank you.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
Thank you.
No probs - let us know what you think of certain authors, that way there'll be others to be recommended
Old 03-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Check out Jeffery Deavers books. Might be what you're interested in. Of course one of his characters is a series of books. So, you'd want to start with the first book for Lincoln Rhyme.
But he writes other books too.

I also enjoy David Morrell's books. He wrote Rambo, but has many espionage books.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Kiss Me Judas
Penny Dreadful
Hell's Half Acre

Three of my favorite books that center around the same delightfully unsavory main character. Think neo crime noir combined with a dark sense of humor to boot. All three of these books have been collected into one titled Phineas Poe.

Brief Synopsis:

Disgraced junkie cop turned apocalyptic antihero Phineas Poe emerges from a psych ward on Christmas Eve and tumbles for beautiful predatory Jude, streetwise assassin turned organ thief. After one night together, she cuts him open, leaves him to fate. Reborn in a bath of ice, Phineas tracks Jude from the back alleys of Denver across the Texas desert for a violent showdown that leaves them on the run to Mexico and the debauched playgrounds of California’s elite. Descend into a nightmare realm where every act of perversion finds willing disciples. Enter a world of brutal blood sport, murderous role play, existential snuff films. Lines between victim and accomplice blur past recognition only to be redrawn according to violent whim. The myth of Orpheus is deconstructed on a razorblade as Phineas and Jude chase each other through a hell of their own making.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
my goodness sean, your avatar gives me wood!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm reading The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie...yeah I highly recommend that one.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 AM
What about the classic, Mario Puzo's 'The Godfather'?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
my goodness sean, your avatar gives me wood!
For your enjoyment (and the sentiment is shared, I imagine):

Last edited by xseanymacx; 04-01-2008 at 09:20 PM..
Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homyrrh View Post
What about the classic, Mario Puzo's 'The Godfather'?
This was definitely an idea.