Old 06-19-2005, 07:56 PM
I AM LEGEND

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

I picked this puppy up about a year ago and never got around to reading it...until a couple weeks ago. What a wonderful book about seclusion, love, death and vampires.

I was a bit skeptical after the first ten pages or so, but by the time I was halfway through I was sucked in. The ending was a perfect ending to a book that explained the vampire myth through science and practical means, such a refreshing escape from normal vampire lore.

Who else has read this masterpiece?

PS. I apologize if this is a repeat thread.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm surprised no one has replied to this. I think I AM LEGEND is one of the best vampire stories ever written. It's on my top 10 list of favorite stories.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Ya its a really great novella with one Hell of an ending. Got me hooked on matheson
Old 09-16-2005, 11:43 AM
I read once they were gonna turn this into a movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as the last human on earth.

That was back in like 1998 in an issue of Fangoria. So, obviously, it didnt happen.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:02 AM
I have the book. Pretty good, but I wouldn't say it's amazing.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 PM
This thread is officially undead, baby, I'm bringing it back to life.

I broke my Matheson cherry and just finished the book earlier today for the very first time, and to say I was floored is a minimalist's assessment. Easily one of my favorite books now, this quintessential post-apocalyptic novel had me hooked on the lonely, grim struggle for survival of its protagonist in a world gone dead mad. The story itself is the epitome of "simple is effective" storytelling, remaining suspenseful, intriguing, emotionally complex and unnervingly realistic in its approach to the vampire plague and the end of the world (the cleverly conceived scientific approach to the vampire myth definitely helped establish that cold, logic-driven bleak atmosphere).

Everything about it is what horror fiction should be, packed to the gills with balls, heart and grit and not afraid to push the envelope. No wonder it's so inspirational to so many.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 AM
I've had this on my to read list for a number of years now, i'm going to have to finally give it a look but after I've finished the 5th Hitchhiker's book.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I love vampire books! After about three chapters it put me to sleep. Never finished it. I'm probably in minority here, but I didn't find it interesting at all. Guess I'll have to try again.

Sorry Syxx and everyone else.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:08 AM
One of my all-time favs. Fantastic read.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Quite good book. I don't think I liked it quite as much as some of you guys, but yeah, very good. It's also worth bringing the thread back, since the new movie is coming out (The Last Man On Earth).

Matheson is some good stuff.. He's behind The Incredible Shrinking Man, the doll part of Trilogy of Terror (that story is one of the short stories that follows the current trade paperback of I Am Legend), the airplane Gremlin episode of the Twilight Zone, Stir of Echoes, What Dreams May Come, and others.. And at the age of 81, he's still writing. Good stuff.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:51 PM
I stole my fisrt copy from BArnes and Noble when I was fifteen because I didnt have the cash...because I was fifteen and they were charging the price of a CD for a book.

But its a great story that DOES reinvent the genre (so many vampire stories claim to but never do.)

Its a shame they've turned it into a hiphop movie.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 PM
As you can probably tell from my handle, this is one of my favorites.

I don't think that most of Matheson's stuff comes close to King's, with the exception of the forementioned book and possibly Stir of Echoes.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Coincidentally, Yesterday i happended to Grab the Steve Niles Comic adaptation off of my brother shelf and spent the next hour or two going through it. Not my favourite vampire story. but taking it as more of a scientific route is what made it for me.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 PM
This book was fantastic. Definitely one of my faves, kinda mad the movie isnt more like the book. Sucks even more when you can tell that from the trailer. But i guess it doesnt bother me that much since I do believe that books should change when adapted to the screen. If no change, then there really isnt much reason to experience both.

SPOILERS
The vampires were very interestings in the form that they weren't vampires. I thought there was a part where Neville said they just thought they were vampires and followed the rules of vampirism due to psychological reasons. Like when one tried to fly but couldnt. the saem witht here weakness to garlic and light. I dont remember anyone dying because of them, just being really annoyed and frightened by them. That was the best twist I've read in a storyu in awhile. Very interesting route to go.
END SPOILER

Plus the tone similarity it had with the movie Cast Away but with vampires was also interesting. And the ending was great too, the whole role reversal was awesome ending. It was just a really well thought and perfectly executed vampire story.

Last edited by cerealkiller182; 11-13-2007 at 03:58 PM..
Old 11-13-2007, 08:11 PM
One of my favorite horror novels. I don't think the upcoming movie starring Will Smith will follow the story as in the novel.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:42 AM

I've got it in a QPB omnibus with Day of the Triffids and Phillip K. Dick's Time Out of Joint. I've been meaning to read it for a long, long time, now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Matheson is some good stuff.. He's behind The Incredible Shrinking Man, the doll part of Trilogy of Terror (that story is one of the short stories that follows the current trade paperback of I Am Legend), the airplane Gremlin episode of the Twilight Zone, Stir of Echoes, What Dreams May Come, and others.. And at the age of 81, he's still writing. Good stuff.
He wrote Spielberg's early classic Duel, a number of excellent Twilight Zone episodes, and a really good one of Star Trek, as well.

Just a pro's pro

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0558577/
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
It breaks my heart every time I see the trailers for the upcoming movie. It looks like it has waaaaaaaaay too much action in it to be even remotely related to the book itself. I'll probably still go see it; if I forget that it is based (loosely) on the book then it might be a good movie.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:16 AM
I just finished the book after starting it last night. Very intriguing. I loved the scientific approach to Vampirism. One of the things that rang truest to me was how Neville got so frustrated when he was on the verge of piecing together the reasons why the Vampires are the way they and then he couldn't quite grasp them. Very good storytelling.

With the appearance of Ruth, I had a very slow build of suspense and as I read the last couple of chapters I knew exactly where the story was going to end up. I have to say that it was an extremely good ending and it left me feeling somewhat stunned and in awe.

After reading the book, I now know that the upcoming film will not have the same tone and that disappoints me, but I'm eager to see how Smith will tackle the complex role of Neville. It looks as if he is doing it as a more human approach, whereas the Neville in the book has a coldness to his personality. I hope very much to see that on the silver screen, but I doubt it.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Glad to see people discussing the book... I just wanted to mention that Steve Niles (who wrote 30 Days of Night) and Elman Brown did a graphic novel version of I Am Legend and it's very good. It's based solely on Matheson's work and it's the most faithful adaptation of the novel that I've checked out. If only they used it for the film... Oh well.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:15 AM
just bought the book, and it started out great, but i didnt like the ending... plus i got confused, because the book also had a bunch of short stories after i am legend, and it never really said that, so i kept reading thinking it had something to do with the story and it just kept getting further and further out there... luckily half way through the short stories i read i read dance of the lupis, which i recognized from watching the masters of horror series... thats when i realized the book ended like it did, therefore leaving me dissappointed. unless i missed something, so i will ask...

spoilers...

so it ends with him captured and waiting to die cause he refused to leave the house???
Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 AM
****Further Spoilers****

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcat View Post
spoilers...

so it ends with him captured and waiting to die cause he refused to leave the house???
Not quite for THAT reason, it's because the new society feared him. He became a fixture of vampire legend, the hunter who killed their relatives and loved ones by day the way vampires killed by night in human legend. It was more a witch hunt than anything; they wanted him dead as revenge, but also because he was the last of his kind (entirely human) and had no place in their world. As well as fear, he represented all that was wrong with the corrupt world that wiped out the human race in the first place... in their eyes, anyway. Ruth was in love with him and didn't want to see the slaughter that was to take place, so gave him that option of dignity. So even though Neville dies, he goes out his way, not giving the mob their satisfaction, and becomes an even greater legend as a result.

At least that's how I read it.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Quite good book. I don't think I liked it quite as much as some of you guys, but yeah, very good. It's also worth bringing the thread back, since the new movie is coming out (The Last Man On Earth).

Matheson was responsible for Stir Of Echoes!I did not know that,an overall decent flick with nice imagery.