Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChristian View Post
Well, a couple of titles have gone out of print so I managed to get a couple more to sell. Others I didn't realize I had doubles until I organized all my Criterions...
i don't mean to be an asshole or anything, but why do you even buy movies? i mean, if you didn't realize you already owned copies of movies before you purchased a new copy, i have to assume you maybe watch them once and then never touch them again. or you are leonard shelby?

Last edited by The Heart Collector; 03-13-2008 at 06:48 PM..
Old 03-15-2008, 12:08 AM
JUNE CRITERIONS:

]Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (432, MSRP $39.95)

Synopsis
Paul Schrader's visually stunning, structurally audacious collagelike portrait of acclaimed Japanese author and playwright Yuko Mishima (played by Ken Ogata) investigates the inner turmoil and contradictions of a man who attempted an impossible harmony between self, art, and society. Taking place on Mishima's last day, when he famously committed public seppuku (ritual suicide), the film is punctuated by extended flashbacks to the writer's life as well as gloriously stylized evocations of his fictional works. With its rich cinematography by John Bailey, exquisite sets and costumes by Eiko Ishioka, and unforgettable, highly influential score by Philip Glass, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters is a sincere tribute to its subject, and a bold, investigative work of art in its own right.

Special Features
* - DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Paul Schrader and cinematographer John Bailey
* - New audio commentary featuring Schrader and producer Alan Poul
* - The Strange Case of Yukio Mishima, a 55-minute BBC documentary about the author
* - New interviews with Donald Richie and John Nathan, collaborators and friends of Yukio Mishima
* - New interviews with Bailey, producers Tom Luddy and Mata Yamamoto, composer Philip Glass, and production designer Eiko Ishioka
* - A new audio interview with coscreenwriter Chieko Schrader
* - A video interview excerpt featuring Mishima talking about writing
* - Theatrical trailer
* - New and improved English subtitle translation
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Kevin Jackson and a piece on the film’s censorship in Japan

Patriotism (433, MSRP $29.95)

Synopsis
Playwright and novelist Yukio Mishima predicted his own suicide with this ravishing short feature, his only foray into filmmaking (codirected with Domoto Masaki), yet made with the expressiveness and confidence of a true cinema artist. All prints of Patriotism (Yukoku), which depicts the seppuku (ritual suicide) of a naval officer, were destroyed after Mishima's death in 1970, though the negative was saved, and the film resurfaced thirty-five years later. New viewers will be stunned at the depth and clarity of Mishima's vision, as well as his graphic depictions of sex and death. The film is presented here with a choice of Japanese or English intertitles.

Special Features
* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the Japanese and English versions, with optional Japanese or English intertitles
* - A 45-minute audio recording of Yukio Mishima speaking to the Foreign Correspondents' Association of Japan
* - A 45-minute making-of documentary, featuring crew from the film's production
* - Interview excerpts featuring Mishima discussing war and death
* - PLUS: A new essay by renowned critic and historian Tony Rayns, Mishima's original short story, and Mishima's extensive notes on the film's production

Classe tous risques (434, MSRP $29.95)

Synopsis
Though sentenced to death, in absentia, in France, former gangland chief Abel Davos (Lino Ventura) sneaks back to Paris with his children after hiding out in Milan for nearly a decade. Accompanied by appointed guardian Eric Stark (Jean-Paul Belmondo, in his first release after Breathless) and beset by backstabbing former friends, Abel begins a journey through the postwar Parisian underworld that's both throat grabbing and soul searching. A character study of a career criminal at the end of his rope, this rugged noir from Claude Sautet (Un coeur en hiver) is a thrilling highlight of sixties French cinema.

Special Features
* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* - Excerpts from Claude Sautet ou La magie invisible, a documentary on the director by writers N. T. Binh and Dominique Rabourdin
* - Archival interview footage featuring actor Lino Ventura discussing his career
* - Original French and U.S. release trailers
* - PLUS: New essays by director Bertrand Tavernier and critic N. T. Binh, a reprinted interview with Sautet, and a tribute by Jean-Pierre Melville

The Furies (435, MSRP $39.95)

Synopsis
Barbara Stanwyck and Walter Huston are at their fierce finest in master Hollywood craftsman Anthony Mann’s crackling western melodrama The Furies. In 1870s New Mexico Territory, megalomaniacal widowed ranch owner T. C. Jeffords (Huston, in his final role) butts heads with his daughter, Vance (Stanwyck), a firebrand with serious daddy issues, over her dowry, choice of husband, and, finally, ownership of the land itself. Both sophisticated in its view of frontier settlement and ablaze with searing domestic drama, The Furies is a hidden treasure of American filmmaking, boasting Oscar–nominated cinematography and vivid supporting turns from Judith Anderson, Wendell Corey, and Gilbert Roland.

Special Features
* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* - Audio commentary featuring film historian Jim Kitses (Horizons West)
* - A rare, 1931 on-camera interview with Walter Huston, made for the movie theater series Intimate Interviews
* - New video interview with Nina Mann, daughter of director Anthony Mann
* - Stills gallery of rare behind-the-scenes photos
* - Theatrical trailer
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Robin Wood ans a 1957 Cahiers du cinéma interview with Mann, as well as a new printing of Niven Busch's original novel
* - More!

Before the Rain (436, MSRP $39.95)

Synopsis
The first film made in the newly independent Republic of Macedonia, Milcho Manchevski's Before the Rain crosscuts the stories of an orthodox Christian monk (Grégoire Colin), a British photo agent (Katrin Cartlidge), and a native Macedonian war photographer (Rade Šerbedžija) to paint a portrait of simmering, entrenched ethnic and religious hatred about to reach its boiling point. Made during the strife of the war-torn Balkan states in the nineties, this gripping triptych of love and violence is also a timeless evocation of the loss of pastoral innocence, and remains one of recent cinema's most poetic evocations of the futility of war.

Special Features
* - DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Milcho Manchevski
* - Audio commentary featuring Manchevski and film scholar Annette Insdorf
* - New video interview with actor Rade Šerbedžija
* - Manchevski's award-winning music video of Arrested Development's "Tennessee"
* - Stills galleries of Manchevski's photographs and on-set shots
* - Theatrical trailer
* - PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Ian Christie

i loved berfore the rain, excited its getting a decent release
Old 03-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Nice....very easily the best month of the year thus far. I'm very excited for Anthony Mann's The Furies (great cover by the way). I believe that is Criterion's first official Western if I'm not mistaken?

Also, excited for Mishima and Before the Rain, and Classe Tous Risques looks like a blind buy. Not sure how I feel about Patriotism being a short film and still getting the 29.99 MSRP tier.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters - FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!! I knew about this one about a year and a half ago

Interesting to see Criterion release five films instead of the usual four...(I guess one is a short-film afterall)...

Last edited by MisterChristian; 03-15-2008 at 03:52 PM..
Old 03-15-2008, 05:09 PM
what a great month can't wait for the mishima release.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm very excited about Mishima. The cover is strange as hell though, can't decide if it's ugly or awesome. I'm also interested in The Furies, and Before the Rain sounds interesting as well. I'd also like to check out Patriotism at some point.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 AM
New Criterion newsletter calls for a Guy Maddin film:

A lot less vague that it has been in the last few months. My money is on Brand Upon the Brain.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:11 PM
maybe Careful?

nice to see Guy Maddin getting some love from Criterion...
Old 03-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Indeed...I thought about Careful and also have been hearing more and more believe that Careful is a likely possibility, but I think I'm hoping a little more for Brand Upon the Brain, although either would be welcome in my book.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
July releases haven't been posted, but are announced. They are:

- Mon Oncle Antoine [Claude Jutra; 1971]

- Trafic [Jacques Tati; 1971]

- Vampyr [Carl Theodor Dreyer; 1932]

and a re-release of Akira Kurosawa's High and Low

I'd say overall....possibly the best month of the year thus far. Vampyr quite easily being the highlight. Although I'm quite excited about Trafic and the High and Low reissue. Mon Oncle Antoine sounds like a blind buy
Old 04-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Update: Apparently the covers are up on IMDb

- Mon Oncle Antoine:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3004143104/tt0067439

- Trafic:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2953811456/tt0069400

- Vampyr:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3138360832/tt0023649

- HIgh and Low:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2265945600/tt0057565
Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Glad that Before The Rain is getting a Criterion Collection treatment. I wonder if films like Black Moon, Cronos and Derzu Uzala get also a Criterion Collection treatment in the future.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Seems that the Guy Maddin flick will be Brand Upon the Brain. It's mentioned in the news section on their website under Tribecca 2008.
It also mentions a restoration of Fellini's Toby Dammit that will be playing... possible release in the future?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM
That High & Low cover is brilliant. That MOVIE is brilliant.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post
That High & Low cover is brilliant. That MOVIE is brilliant.
Yeah...also love that cover. That combined with cover of Trafic and Vampyr, makes it one of the better batches in a while as covers go.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Finally up on the website.

#437:

#438:

#439:

#24:

For those who'd rather not click the IMDb links
Old 04-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Awesome covers, all on them. I very well may buy High and Low, awesome movie, and I'm definitely gonna check out Vampyr. I'd like to see Trafic, but probably not until I see Jacque Tati's other movies, which I'd like to do at some point soon. Mon Oncle Antoine sounds pretty interesting, but I probably won't be checking it out, at least not right away.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I never picked up High and Low, so thats a must but, Vampyr as well. Being in Canada they play Mon Oncle Antoine on cable a lot up here.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:53 PM
hey guys, fresh meat here <----- I was wondering if anyone has heard of this new horror movie coming out soon called the ground house?? I met some of the cast members at a convention but i never heard anything about the movie before hand. Its about a coffee shop and girls... sound familiar??
Old 04-17-2008, 09:43 PM
After reading some info from the movie Vampyr on IMBD i'm curious to buy the criterion dvd.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Vampyr (which I already have in my Netflix queue from some other release) and Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters will be definite rentals.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Dear Criterion Collection Newsletter subscriber,

We’ve got some exciting news for this fall, and we wanted you to hear it first.

Our first Blu-ray discs are coming! We’ve picked a little over a dozen titles from the collection for Blu-ray treatment, and we’ll begin rolling them out in October. These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.

Here’s what’s in the pipeline:

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear

Alongside our DVD and Blu-ray box sets of The Last Emperor, we’ll also be putting out the theatrical version as a stand-alone release in both formats, priced at $39.95. Our Blu-ray release of Walkabout will be an all-new edition, featuring new supplements as well as a new transfer; we will also release an updated anamorphic DVD of Nicolas Roeg’s outback masterpiece at the same time.
Holy shit.

And look, Chungking Express. Badass.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:33 PM
jeez, these are going to cost a fortune!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh my happy day!!!

This might be the best news I've heard about blu-ray discs.

I want all of them.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I hope they change the look of traditional blu-ray cases. This may be what I needed to finally make the jump to blu-ray. Pretty much solely for Chungking Express.

Assuming they'll stick with their spine number release method, and also assuming they'll just start over from Spine #1 on Blu-Ray, my money is either on 400 Blows or The Third Man for Spine #1.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:56 PM
i imagine they'll start over too. thats what they did in the transition from laserdisc to dvd. GREAT DAY, eh?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:00 AM
I like the offbeat designs of the Criterion DVDs. They're so... different, it's refreshing. Simplicity. I wanted to design one for The Return of Godzilla (aka the butchered Godzilla 1985), but thought that Criterion would never add it to its collection. Then I saw that they had made an edition for Armageddon so whatever.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:56 AM
You can all thank me for "El Norte" - that was one of my suggestions.

Yeah, I'm sure I wasn't the only one who suggested it.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Annoucned August Releases:

AND FINALLY:

Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Salo...finally!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Indeed. Its about time. I forgot to add the Eclipse Set was announced as well:

Old 05-16-2008, 07:12 AM
i'll be picking up the salo re-release and most likely brand upon the brain.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSanchez View Post

AND FINALLY:

MUST.........BUY.................IT!!!!!

At least the new coverart is even better than the first one when it was released.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:43 AM
I, too, intend to purchase Salo: The 120 Days of Sodom upon its re-release. Does this make me a seriously disturbed person or what?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 AM
I easily see it being one of the better selling Criterions of all-time. In my opinion, not a great movie, but I do plan to buy it to finally own a legit copy of the film.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:59 PM
I'll probably pick up "The Small Black Room" eventually, as I intend to do with all Powell films (with or without Pressburger). I currently only have "Peeping Tom."

I might check out "Brand Upon the Brain" as well. I really liked "The Saddest Music in the World," but that's the only other Maddin film I've seen.

But I'm still waiting on "The Hit" and "Insignificance," which were both promised release this year. : ?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Click image for larger version

Name:	wacky_mask.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	7127
^^^CLICK^^^

I'm both ecstatic and a little pissed at myself for buying all the Max Ophuls UK DVD's...

Oh well, serves me right. I'll be picking this up in the fall for sure!!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Wow....I'm thankful all I picked up was Reckless Moment. That's awesome news though.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp2005 View Post
Attachment 7127
^^^CLICK^^^

I'm both ecstatic and a little pissed at myself for buying all the Max Ophuls UK DVD's...

Oh well, serves me right. I'll be picking this up in the fall for sure!!
Those criterion collection clues to announce their upcoming movies are annoying!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 PM
How so?