Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
"Final Fantasy VII Remake . . . if it happens".

Here are 20 things mentioned in a site that they'd want changed/staying in a remake. What are yours?

Quote:
1) Improved Graphics to match the next-gen fad, obviously. On par with the tech demo.
2) Better translation then the PSone game. Even the PC version had better translation.
3) Voice acting, maybe the voice overs from Advent Children, but make it look like they are actually talking this time. Have subtitles and the option to turn voice acting off.
4) Keep the good ol' world map, were we can fly free in the Highwind like never before in tech demo 3D.
6) Option to skip the summon animation.
7) More accurate story, so people understand it better. Many people still don't fully understand Final Fantasy VII's story.
8) Update the story with all the retcon from the compilation. For example the fact that Sephiroth jumps into the Lifestream in Last Order rather than Cloud throwing him into it like in the original game. Many people don't like the fact that Squae Enix are changing things in the story, but when Square changes the story, then those changes are official, and that means that some of the events we see happen in the original are outdated compared to what "really*" happened according to the updated story.
9) Online. There were a lot of mini games in Final Fantasy VII. There was chocobo racing, snowboarding, even boxing (the little machine at the Golden Saucer). If we had online, it would be great to play newly enhanced versions of those mini-games with other people around the world. Maybe even Player vs. Player at the Gold Saucer. Perhaps even add Home integration, adding new clothes when you buy the game, like Cloud armor, etc.
10) More side-quests would be nice, but no "revive Aerith"-quest or secret Holy- or Meteor-materias. Only side-quests that don't affect the story. A few extra mini-games for the Golden Saucer and mentioned online mode would be nice too.
11) When we can enter Midgar again, we should be able to go to all the areas of it, not limit ourselves. Even climb over the Sector 7 collapse. Not just Midgar, make everything truly explorable.
12) Random encounters and the Limit Break battle system need to stay.
13) Extra costumes for the main characters.
14) More materia, summons, weapons, and armor for the characters. Along with the weapons, more weapons to fight too.
15) Digitally Remastered music from the original game.
16) Explaination of why Cloud is in Final Fantasy Tactics.
17) Day and Night system, for more realism.
18) Destructible environments, like quake will mess up the ground, fire will burn grass/melt snow, certain attacks will leave grooves or craters in the ground, etc. so at the end of battle you see what effect you had. Also moving fight maps, like the fights still take place in a glass-shatter/swirl type area but your characters move around alot, like at first you run up and attack but don't return to your starting position, you stay where you were, spells and attacks would have a knockback effect, say for example in the fight with palmer, you could knock him back far enough that he would crash through a window in a house and your fight continues there where you'd break chairs and tables during the fight.
19) Have things from the other games and movies in it. A mysterious locked door in Shinra that says Deepground over top, but you can't unlock. Vincents Chaos actually looks like the new Chaos, and Valiant Beast too. Maybe a secret boss somewhere that is a Genesis Clone who survived. Clouds New sword could have a minigame on where to find each one, say you have to find one after you reach Costa del Sol but before you reach Gold Saucer or else you can't get it and can never complete the sword. Have it so when you get the sword it unlocks Omnislash 5. Maybe a fifth limit for all characters as well. Also make an event where you can find the Sherra.
20) Ability to keep all vehicles and not have the Tiny Bronco disappear after you get the Highwind.
Some of yours?

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 09-17-2007 at 04:31 PM..
Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I would add better limit breaks. Some characters that I really liked had pretty weak level 4 limits. All of them should either have damage break (which doesn't exist in the original game) or be able to hit multiple times (like omnislash or knights of the round). You work really hard for some of those, and they should be stronger

More difficult optional bosses - Ruby and Emerald Weapons were jokes. I like the challenge of taking on a significant boss like Yiazmat in XII. Maybe something like Battle Arena in X, where people who like the challenge can just go in and fight strong enemies.

More complicated weapons and armor - I got the sense that all weapons in the same class, and all armor, were the same. The only difference was strength (or defense) and materia growth. I just feel there should be more to it, considering most modern RPGs have a lot of options in this field relative to VII (like XII or Oblivion).
Old 09-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Bah if they are remaking VII they had better do VIII as well but then again i said the same thing when they remade Resident Evil and i'm still waiting for an RE2 remake lol
Old 09-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by vesaker
Bah if they are remaking VII they had better do VIII as well.
My pants would literally explode if that ever happened.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
My pants would literally explode if that ever happened.
LOL oh i'm with ya on that one
Old 09-19-2007, 12:20 AM
A new "Final Fantasy VII" title, exclusive to the PS3, is supposed to be revealed at TGS. This one is called "Endless Crisis". Not sure what it is.

What the fuck, Square, that better be the remake. Stop confirming every game in that universe except the one we want!

Source
Old 09-19-2007, 12:43 AM

Up until this year the original FINAL FANTASY for NES was the only one I had played and completed. One of the greatest offerings for the ole system. However this year I purchased the two pack for GBA and beat the new version along with the sequel. I'll be finishing the other ones at some point but I don't know when. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Famitsu hints at Final Fantasy VII remake
Posted on September 19th, 2007 at 04:00 EDT

The hype train has now reached full speed with the latest issue of Famitsu, a popular Japanese gaming magazine, hinting at a possible Final Fantasy VII remake.

From the translation, Famitsu states, "A third party game that will save the PlayStation 3 in Japan is to be announced tomorrow."

With all the recent rumors hitting the net lately, we can only assume they are talking about Square Enix and Final Fantasy VII (Whether or not the speculated Endless Crisis: Final Fantasy VII reported yesterday is a separate project or not is unknown, though it may simply just be the full title for a proposed remake)

Also, according to rumor, the Square Enix-developed project is being fully funded by Sony Computer Entertainment. (Sony you sly dogs, you).

So keep your eyes and your ears peeled at the Tokyo Game Show is about to begin. Stay tuned to PSU for all your Tokyo Game Show updates.

Source: Famitsu Magazine

To think we're only hours away.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 09-19-2007 at 08:19 PM..
Old 09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
The fact that three full Final Fantasy games will all be released within the same 12 months makes me feel warm and happy inside.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarfather
The fact that three full Final Fantasy games will all be released within the same 12 months makes me feel warm and happy inside.
If you include all the others mentioned in the Square-Enix party, there are like 8 total titles. Between all the upcoming FFVII's, "War of the Lions", "Tactics Advance 2", "Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings", "Final Fantasy IV (DS)", etc, etc. . .
Old 09-19-2007, 03:56 PM
now i almost wish i had a PS3
Old 09-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Quote:
now i almost wish i had a PS3
Well, only 400 bucks now (sans a few features)!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Bah if they are remaking VII they had better do VIII
Never will that happen... ever. It's not that popular, and there really wasn't anything wrong with it in the first place. With VII, you can create an absolutely amazing game just by improving the graphics. That's really all they need to do. There were no real complaints with VIII that can be fixed with better technology. Some people just didn't dig the story, the characters, the junction system, etc.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Quote:
A new "Final Fantasy VII" title, exclusive to the PS3, is supposed to be revealed at TGS. This one is called "Endless Crisis". Not sure what it is.

What the fuck, Square, that better be the remake. Stop confirming every game in that universe except the one we want!

Source
You're killing me with all these rumors. I think my head is gonna explode
Old 09-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Kenshin
Never will that happen... ever. It's not that popular, and there really wasn't anything wrong with it in the first place. With VII, you can create an absolutely amazing game just by improving the graphics. That's really all they need to do. There were no real complaints with VIII that can be fixed with better technology. Some people just didn't dig the story, the characters, the junction system, etc.
I agree it won't happen, but it IS the second best selling FF after VII, and by a landslide, also the one with the second biggest fandom (again, after VII). I think a remake with some changes in the gameplay could really be fantastic.

Make the junction system less complicated. Since junctioning can't be removed altogether, being it part of the plot, they can surely just help it to be not so contrived. They could also help a little with Squall's personality early on, just tone down the jackassness, plus voice acting (David Boreanaz again!) could really work for the people who don't like the character. Also fix the repetitive drawing (this is simple, just make each draw stock more than one type of spell and more of each), and you should have pitch-perfect gameplay.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Kenshin
You're killing me with all these rumors. I think my head is gonna explode
Godammit, I know. I just wish it all leads somewhere.

If not, I'm just happy Famitsu has confirmed some "PS3 saving game", which is just great news, FFVII remake or not.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Well, only 400 bucks now (sans a few features)!
heh i don't even have the $275 for a Wii and thats definately got priority on a PS3
Old 09-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Old 09-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Quote:
If not, I'm just happy Famitsu has confirmed some "PS3 saving game", which is just great news, FFVII remake or not.
Amen... I haven't used my PS3 for anything other than movies and Madden so far. I kind of regret buying it.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:59 PM
http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest/index.php

Character tests are always fun. I'm Locke apparently, which is fine because one thing I have in common with the character is that I cover up all of my wrongdoings with comfortably neutral phrases. "Yoink!"
Old 09-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarfather
http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest/index.php

Character tests are always fun. I'm Locke apparently, which is fine because one thing I have in common with the character is that I cover up all of my wrongdoings with comfortably neutral phrases. "Yoink!"
Yeha i'm Squall Motha fuckers eat my Gun Blade
Old 09-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Yeha i'm Squall Motha fuckers eat my Gun Blade
I'm Squall as well. I challenge you to a quote-off to see who deserves the title of emo-lead better!

*slaps vesaker across face with same iron gauntlet*
Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Quote:
I'm Squall as well. I challenge you to a quote-off to see who deserves the title of emo-lead better!

*slaps vesaker across face with same iron gauntlet*
aww crap it been a while and i know the game inside out so i never read he speach boxes anymore but i think i'm pretty safe with this one....

Rinooooaaaaaaa!!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok with this whole project devoted to FFXIII, I just wanted to throw out a question to all of you: now that FF is going to clearly shift into other genres than just RPGs with Versus XIII, what kind of Final Fantasy game would you like to see made? Personally, I would love a fighting game with all the characters from the past, so Cloud can officially kick Squall's emo-ass.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:43 PM
So all this time later there is still no word on whether or not there will be a VII remake?

Weak.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Well, everyone. Take your Christmas hats off.

On December 18th, 1987, the Fantasy began. Today is the real 20th anniversary of the legendary series and one of the real reasons I love videogames like I do. So congratulations to Square, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Nobuo Uematsu, Yoshinori Kitase and everyone that's been involved with this wonderful series.

And thanks!

[/cheesiness] (sorry, I just adore this series)

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 12-18-2007 at 11:29 PM..
Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Update.

1. Final Fantasy VIII (9.6/10).
2. Final Fantasy VII (9.8/10).
3. Final Fantasy XII (9.2/10).
4. Final Fantasy X (9.0/10).
5. Final Fantasy IX (?/10).
6. Final Fantasy II (8.9/10).
7. Final Fantasy (8.2/10).
8. Final Fantasy XI (N/A).

Man, "Final Fantasy II" kicked ass. It was so incredibly better than the extra bland first installment. I loved the "keyword" system, and I really liked the idea behind the leveling system, though it was way too easily abused. I adored the plot that, weirdly enough was far better thought out than most games today (and it steered away from the Elemental Crystal mumbo jumbo that sticked around until V), and the added attempts at drama with so many character deaths.

*spoilers*

Can somoene explain what the hell happened to Leon in the end? I was totally lost. Why did he leave, again? Why was everyone so sad?

*end spoilers*

So now I'm just missing III-VI so I can claim major fanship. Since I have no clue where to find III and I still down own "Final Fantasy Chronicles", I'm gonna jump straight to V, then VI, and then see if someone (wink wink) can link me to some decent rom/translation of III or IV.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 05-19-2008 at 08:56 PM..
Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Did you play FF2 on the psp?

I've been meaning to get mine but Walmart stopped carrying it like the week after I wanted to get my copy.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler View Post
So now I'm just missing III-VI so I can claim major fanship. Since I have no clue where to find III and I still down own "Final Fantasy Chronicles", I'm gonna jump straight to V, then VI, and then see if someone (wink wink) can link me to some decent rom/translation of III or IV.
I'd highly recommend FFIV. Don't skip it! It's similar to FF9, but with a much much much much *MUCH* cooler cast of characters and the villians are also infinitely better. Kain remains probably my favorite FF character ever.

It was also released in the US so you really shouldn't have any trouble finding an English version of it.

Edit: Holy fuck I just read they are re releasing FFIV on the Nintendo DS with updated graphics. Fuck now I might have to buy a goddamn DS.

Last edited by jolanar; 05-20-2008 at 11:13 AM..
Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 AM
All of them are great games with the exception of XII, XI, and VIII in my opinion.

VIII: I hated Squall, I couldn't stand him and he completely ruined the game for me. I didn't make it more than an hour or two into the game because he pissed me off that much.

XI: Control system and interface just blew, turned it off after like 30 minutes, maybe I'm just spoiled by WoW?

XII: Hated the shift in story line, wont spoil anything here but when this shift happens it just killed my enthusiasm for some of the characters. Plus, with the battle system the way it is the game is just playing itself, it's mastubating.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Quote:
I think there are remakes of FFIII and FFIV for the DS. But I'm not sure if they were released outside Japan.
I played Final Fantasy from FFI to FFVIII. Played a bit of FFXI in a friends house, I don't know if that counts considering that FFXI doesn't seem have an actual ending.
I played FFXII, but I got bored with it and I haven't played it for a while. I don't know, some of the characters are cool and I liked the designs (Except for the main character, Stupid Nomura and his Gackt obsession...), but the plot so far just didn't "grab" me.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
I forgot to add X-2 to my list of bad FF games...and I don't think I have to explain why.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Halloween View Post
I think there are remakes of FFIII and FFIV for the DS. But I'm not sure if they were released outside Japan.
I played Final Fantasy from FFI to FFVIII. Played a bit of FFXI in a friends house, I don't know if that counts considering that FFXI doesn't seem have an actual ending.
I played FFXII, but I got bored with it and I haven't played it for a while. I don't know, some of the characters are cool and I liked the designs (Except for the main character, Stupid Nomura and his Gackt obsession...), but the plot so far just didn't "grab" me.
FFIV is the US FFII, FFIII was the only one out of the # serise that wasn't realesed here until they released it on the DS.

And it was meh, incredibly simplistic adn i think it was the first implementation of the Job system as well which sucked cause instead of having different jobs for different purposes you just pretty much had 3 lvl's of 4 sets of jobs that were just better then the last.

Oh and defeating the final boss is as easy as giving a reach around to a silver back gorilla
Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 PM
jolanar, I did play both FF and FFII on the PSP. Both solid ports (though I would've liked really updated graphics). I'm actually aware of III and IV on the DS, but I don't really own one, nor am I really planning to get one just for that. I won't skip either, but since I already own V and VI, I'll go ahead to those, then see if I can find a way to play III.

IV shouldn't be a problem. Any SNES emulator should do.
. . . which is why I should just start that.
Right.

III is the only one that's gonna be a problem.

EDIT: Yeah, I just started playing FFIV. What's funny is that Cecil's thus far been more emo than Squall ever was. Maybe my heart has become as black as my armor.

Ah, good 'ol SNES cheese.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 05-20-2008 at 02:54 PM..
Old 05-20-2008, 03:24 PM
yeah FFIII is definately not worth getting a DS over
Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Quote:
but since I already own V and VI, I'll go ahead to those
By the way, avoid the GBA port of FFVI.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Quote:
jolanar, I did play both FF and FFII on the PSP. Both solid ports (though I would've liked really updated graphics). I'm actually aware of III and IV on the DS, but I don't really own one, nor am I really planning to get one just for that. I won't skip either, but since I already own V and VI, I'll go ahead to those, then see if I can find a way to play III.

IV shouldn't be a problem. Any SNES emulator should do.
. . . which is why I should just start that.
Right.

III is the only one that's gonna be a problem.

EDIT: Yeah, I just started playing FFIV. What's funny is that Cecil's thus far been more emo than Squall ever was. Maybe my heart has become as black as my armor.

Ah, good 'ol SNES cheese.
You can find a translated ROM of Final Fantasy III easily on the internet, though the translation is nothing but shit and the ROM itself is buggy as hell. You're better off buying a DS and getting the remake (along with, say, The World Ends With You and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time), just to save yourself the trouble of sludging along through the ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker
Oh and defeating the final boss is as easy as giving a reach around to a silver back gorilla
Almost all of Final Fantasy's final bosses have been pathetically easy.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedGamer View Post
Almost all of Final Fantasy's final bosses have been pathetically easy.
so are you claiming that giving a reach around to a silver back gorilla is an easy task???
Old 05-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Hey, everyone likes a reach around...it's just polite. However, mounting the gorilla from behind is the dificult part.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonMan999 View Post
Hey, everyone likes a reach around...it's just polite. However, mounting the gorilla from behind is the dificult part.
oddly enough thats almost a perfect analogy for how the boss fight works! no fool'n
Old 05-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
oddly enough thats almost a perfect analogy for how the boss fight works! no fool'n
You sure you're not missing something? Most FAQs I've read for the DS version of III don't seem to point out that he's too difficult.

Tidbit: I had all the trouble in the fucking universe to kill the final boss in X. I had all the Aeons btw.