Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 PM
The Beatles Appreciation Thread

The Beatles are my favorite band of all time first and foremost. I love them. I kind of grew up on them, though my parents weren't as big of fans as I am, but as I grew I started listening to them more and more on my own. I listen to them more than any other artist. Sgt. Pepper's is my favorite album of all time. Abbey Road is a close second. Hey Jude may just be my favorite song of all time too.I think this is one of those rare cases where 4 highly talented (yes even Ringo) musicians got together and did their thing, and all of them succeeded. Their early stuff was good, but was not nearly as good as their later stuff (Rubber Soul and beyond). In the end I feel that they truly are the best band of all time. I know people will disagree and I respect that. Do not turn this thread into everyone insulting each other because they disagree. What do you guys think of the Beatles? What is your favorite song of theres? What is your favorite album. Just discuss these and any other things you like or hate about the Beatles. Again, do not just turn this into everyone insulting each other over who "the real best band" is. Just discuss the beatles and what you think.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 PM
I totally agree with you on this one-hundred percent. The Beatles is the best thing that ever to happen to music. Totay music, rap and all those crap, are complete trash and I consider them to be mediocre sh!t.

Anyway, my favorite album would have to be The Beatles 1 (2000) since it contain all the good songs. ^^
Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huBelial View Post
I totally agree with you on this one-hundred percent. The Beatles is the best thing that ever to happen to music. Totay music, rap and all those crap, are complete trash and I consider them to be mediocre sh!t.

Anyway, my favorite album would have to be The Beatles 1 (2000) since it contain all the good songs. ^^
I love the Beatles 1... but the funny thing is sgt peppers is such a huge album for them and there are no songs from it on the 1 album... i just find it interesting that none of the songs are on there.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:51 PM
I appreciate the Beatles. They are one of my favorite acts of all time and just before I browsed over to the forum I put on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". Wow. These guys are great.

You were however wrong when you said it was a rare case of 4 talented men getting together. It's more like a rare case of 3 extremely talented men and 1 incredibly lucky son of a bitch getting together.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 AM
I've never talked to a drummer who had anything bad to say about Ringo Starr. He was a good fit for the band. He couldn't be wild and heavy like Keith Moon, because they weren't that kind of band.

They were definitely the best band of the British Invasion. As much as I like the Stones/Zombies/Kinks I don't think any band from that generation compares to The Beatles except for The Velvet Underground, but they weren't British (excluding Cale).
Old 06-30-2008, 12:27 AM
But I doubt you'll ever find a drummer say anything good about Ringo. It's OK to face it, he's mediocre at best. I personally know many drummers who could take Ringo down anyday. Hell I bet a few of us non-drummers could probably give him a run for his money.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:57 AM
I don't play drums often, but whenever I get the chance to play I always do that loud banging shit like Dave Grohl does. I couldn't be like Ringo, who could keep a steady beat in the background. He was a backbone drummer. I personally know better drummers, of course. But then again, I'm primarily a guitar player and then a piano player.

And I've heard drummers say good things about Ringo. Especially as they got more psychedelic, he was able to prove himself more as a drummer. He won't be in anybody's top 10 anytime, but he still gets too much shit. He was the most likable Beatle in the movies, and he had a good personality. If the Beatles had been three charming guys and one bland asshole, some might've changed the channel.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:18 AM
a beatles appreciation thread---highly necessary i agree

Okay, that's flat trolling. It's just that if Beatles/Bob Dylan did not have that miraculous confluence where high art and pop culture made-out, we would not be proclaiming them deities and such. The music, good okay, the endless praise/hyperbole, tiring. I'm a big Bob Dylan fan and even I get bored talking about him (unless in the context of that theory Todd Haynes had for his movie). Like church provides a sense of normalcy for everybody, so does having a set list of artists acceptable for consumption. Throughout all this mythologizing, no one really dwells on how eccentric Dylan is or how deliberately nonsensical his lyrics or how the Beatles have a lot of bizzare songs. All of this "weirdness" is tolerated because it happens to be attached to acceptable artists.

Does anyone really use the Beatles as gateway artists anymore? They're pretty much their own entity, a slab separate from music history. If everyone who listened to the VU formed a band everyone who listens to the Beatles clings to the Beatles. Like, no one listening to the Beatles suddenly gets turned on to Harry Nilsson. Adventurous music inspires a collective vanilla-ization, gah!

Have any of you heard "Sgt Peppers". It just mind change your life.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Shapiro View Post
But I doubt you'll ever find a drummer say anything good about Ringo.
I can't find them at the moment, but I've found a few quotes from Phil Collins praising Ringo's drumming. Say what you will about Collins and his music these days, but the man was a fantastic drummer in the 70s.

Danny Carey also lists Ringo as an influence.

But anyway, on topic...I too love The Beatles. They'd be somewhere in my top five bands for sure. Favourite album is Abbey Road, favourite song either You Never Give Me Your Money or Dear Prudence.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:59 AM
I'll have to agree with john rambo's sentiments that the Beatles are the greatest band of all time and that Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is the greatest album of all time. However, my favorite song of theirs has to be A Day in the Life. Besides revolutionizing pop music, they proved that you don't need to have an extremely talented band to make great music (and I'm not singling out Ringo).
Old 06-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I hate their music. And whenever I mention to people that I am not a fan I never hear the end of it. It really grinds my gears when people expect me to love them just because they are one of the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed bands. So, what? doesn't mean the whole worlds going to love them.

I also hate the fact that everyone happens to love a certain album just because it was named the top album on a list. Or they love a certain song because it was named the top five by some magazine or radio station.

You can think for yourselves you know. You don't have to think somethings the greatest just because the media said so.

I bet that if there were no top album/songs list to follow people would think differently about Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band being the greatest album ever.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_crow_sorrow View Post
I can't find them at the moment, but I've found a few quotes from Phil Collins praising Ringo's drumming.
Pot calling kettle black, if you catch my drift.

Danny Carey's the fucking man, though.

Enough about Ringo's drumming from me! The Beatles are a fantastic band regardless of the lack of a highly skilled drummer. Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road are two of the greatest albums of all-time, and they no doubt paved the way for most of the psychedelic inspired pop music that came after them. We owe a lot to these four gentlemen.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage3 View Post
I hate their music. And whenever I mention to people that I am not a fan I never hear the end of it. It really grinds my gears when people expect me to love them just because they are one of the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed bands. So, what? doesn't mean the whole worlds going to love them.

I also hate the fact that everyone happens to love a certain album just because it was named the top album on a list. Or they love a certain song because it was named the top five by some magazine or radio station.

You can think for yourselves you know. You don't have to think somethings the greatest just because the media said so.

I bet that if there were no top album/songs list to follow people would think differently about Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band being the greatest album ever.
Regardless of why I love the Beatles, (I just do), you never give a solid fact why you hate them. I'd love to know why.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Quote:

Everything you just said wouldn't even apply to a fraction of a percent of the people who listen to The Beatles. You don't sell hundreds of millions of albums based on critical acclaim.

The most acclaimed album of the most popular band of the most respected decade in music is a shoo-in for #1 on any album list. Since there is no foremost authority to say what is the best album, that's as good a standard as they come.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Quote:

And yet you come off as though you only dislike them in contrived rebellion to such (nearly nonexistent, or in any case, completely of a minority) thinking.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_rambo View Post
I love the Beatles 1... but the funny thing is sgt peppers is such a huge album for them and there are no songs from it on the 1 album... i just find it interesting that none of the songs are on there.
They did not release singles off albums, the single from the sgt peppers sessions was penny lane/ strawberry fields, i think its wierd strwaberry fields is not on it.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Pot calling kettle black, if you catch my drift.
Try actually listening to some of his work with Genesis from 71-77 or the first two Brand X albums, then get back to me.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Regardless of why I love the Beatles, (I just do), you never give a solid fact why you hate them. I'd love to know why.
I've just never been able to get into their music. Very dull, boring music. I've tryed out Sgt., Abbey Road, Yellow Submarine and a couple others and only found one song out of all those albums that was decent. Just decent to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfather
And yet you come off as though you only dislike them in contrived rebellion to such (nearly nonexistent, or in any case, completely of a minority) thinking.
Yes, the reason I dislike The Beatles is because it's "rebellious" and because I'm a minority. I have nothing better to do than hate bands that are widely popular to seem cool.

/End sarcasm.

Last edited by Sage3; 06-30-2008 at 08:09 PM..
Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 PM
I think when someone listens to the Beatles and finds them underwhelming they amplify their opposing opinion to counter the disappointment. Plus it puts them in a position of attention
Old 06-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Or, maybe out of the millions of people out there, some actually do hate their music. Like seriously, why the hell assume someone must be looking for attention or some other lame excuse just because they hate a band?

Pretty retarded.

Does everyone love Led Zeppelin? The Clash? Cream? Bob Dylan? The Stooges? Did not think so. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Quote:
I agree, except I still hold a respect for the band despite my hate for their music. It's hard to deny the impact and influence they've had over the years.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSimen View Post
I agree, except I still hold a respect for the band despite my hate for their music. It's hard to deny the impact and influence they've had over the years.
Oh yeah, I respect their impact/influence, but, I just don't agree they were the greatest band to ever be around out of all the others out there.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Or, maybe out of the millions of people out there, some actually do hate their music. Like seriously, why the hell assume someone must be looking for attention or some other lame excuse just because they hate a band?
All I'm saying is the degree of vitriol varies since they are this monolithic group and you found them underwhelming. I mean your very first sentence was "I hate the Beatles." and you immediately set forth psychologizing (like I'm doing now gahuck!) on why others like them, something along the lines of if no publications ranked this highly they wouldn't be as canonized

And then you proceeded to clarify your dislike by saying their music is merely decent. Not exactly the hatred of your introduction.

Not exactly falling for the Beatles does something to a man. Your behavior here is like the guy backed into a corner by society. pretty defensive

I'm not that big of fan either, their music doesnt do much for me, and yet Ive noticed within me a tendency to lay it into them a bit more thickly than I would say, a band i hate

Since I don't outright hate The Beatles--I think "Sgt Peppers" is wonderful along with some other songs-- I cannot exactly proclaim hatred so I compromise with a "The Beach Boys blast them outta tha water"
Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayzlor View Post
All I'm saying is the degree of vitriol varies since they are this monolithic group and you found them underwhelming. I mean your very first sentence was "I hate the Beatles." and you immediately set forth psychologizing (like I'm doing now gahuck!) on why others like them, something along the lines of if no publications ranked this highly they wouldn't be as canonized
When you listen to a band and it turns out you simply don't like them, and then whenever someone finds out you don't like them they practically verbally crucify you for not liking their "godlike and unfallable" band, it tends to go straight from not liking to straight up hate.

What tends to happen is it's not the band you hate as much as the fan-base. I probably fall under this category too, so who knows.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Exactly! and there is always a certain level of resentment for unfulfilled expectations

Case in point: someguy's hatred of Animal Collective fanboys
Old 06-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Hating The Beatles nowadays is not the social crux people make it out to be. I mean, really. I know people who personally loathe them (none of them play an instrument, what a coincidence) and nobody ever calls them for it. They're such a popular band that they're bound to have as many if not more detractors. For every Christian, there is an atheist.

But the funny thing is, asking someone why they dislike them is what agitates them the most. "WHAT??? DUDE, CALM THE FUCK DOWN. IT'S OKAY IF I DON'T LIKE THEM!!!!" is the typical response. It's like they think you're about to turn into a werewolf.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I've been falling more and more in love with the Beatles this past year and a half. I've listened to some of their stuff off and on but never really got into them hardcore. My girlfriends mother got her hubbie the remastered boxset of all their albums for Christmas last year and it caught my eye. I downloaded every disc onto my iPod. Ever since I've been hooked. Their early stuff is catchy goodness (Help and Meet the Beatles being especially fun imo) but their later stuff is where they really got me. After two straight listens Rubber Soul became one of my favorite albums ever. Same with Abbey Road, The White Album, Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. I honestly can't choose between the five, lol.

Magical Mystery Tour doesn't get enough love imo. When I first heard it I didn't know the history of the band and how record production worked back then. Critics seem to fluff it away as "just a soundtrack" to a crappy movie. Apparently Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were released as singles beforehand...which doesn't matter to me in the least. Listening to it as an album is quite the experience. Everything from the Pepper-esque opening song, the bizarrely cheerful instrumental Flying, the trippy Blue Jay Way and I Am the Walrus, the beautiful Fool On the Hill, the foot stomping Baby You're A Rich Man and of course All You Need Is Love. It's just an album that can cheer me up and brighten my day.

Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road are in a constant tug of war over top honors, I can't chose between the two.

Last edited by poopontheshoes7; 10-24-2011 at 04:51 PM..
Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Double post.

Last edited by poopontheshoes7; 10-24-2011 at 04:50 PM..
Old 12-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Lennon's songs were better than McCartney's.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:28 AM
So LordSimen didn't like The Beatles. I'm not surprised.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:12 PM
RUBBER. SOUL.

The Word

Girl

and of course my favorite Beatles song

In My Life

Last edited by fixedMind; 12-31-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 PM
True Story

Talking with a friend of mine on Skype..

Friend: Omg, I discovered this great album!
Del: Cool, which one .. ?
F: It's called 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heartclub Band'! Ever hear of it!??
D: .. You are joking right?
F: No, have you ever heard it?
D: .. You are really .. like .. messing with me, right?
F: NO! Come on!
D: Fine, I'll take the bait: Yes dear, I have heard of it, even listened to it on occasion..
F: So what is your favorite track?
D: .. DUDE! Stop it! I was listening to that album the year it came out!!
F: .. Oh.. well.. I should have known that you knew it..
D: Sweetie, EVERYBODY knows that album..!
F: Well anyway, I love it and I'm gonna check out more stuff from that band ..
D: .. You're joking again, right?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
I enjoy the Beatles. I like a lot of their songs. But I don't think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread like everyone else seems to think. To me they were just another pop band that happened to write a lot more hits than the other pop bands at the time.

My favorite Beatles album is: Revolver
Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Talking with a friend of mine on Skype..

Friend: Omg, I discovered this great album!
Del: Cool, which one .. ?
F: It's called 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heartclub Band'! Ever hear of it!??
D: .. You are joking right?
F: No, have you ever heard it?
D: .. You are really .. like .. messing with me, right?
F: NO! Come on!
D: Fine, I'll take the bait: Yes dear, I have heard of it, even listened to it on occasion..
F: So what is your favorite track?
D: .. DUDE! Stop it! I was listening to that album the year it came out!!
F: .. Oh.. well.. I should have known that you knew it..
D: Sweetie, EVERYBODY knows that album..!
F: Well anyway, I love it and I'm gonna check out more stuff from that band ..
D: .. You're joking again, right?
As much as I love The Beatles, I consider Sgt. Pepper their most overrated album. Paul wrote (or, at least, was the primary writer of) 8 of the album's 13 tracks... and I don't think a single one of them ranks among his all-time greatest compositions Not including Yellow Submarine, this is the only Beatles album to which he did not contribute a bona fide 'home run,' IMO. The title track and its reprise are doubles at the most; the rest are mere singles. The one 'home run' he did contribute to these sessions, "Penny Lane," ended up not making the final album (big mistake; same with "Strawberry Fields Forever"). There were plenty more albums that came out in the calendar year of 1967 that either matched, nearly matched, or exceeded Sgt. Pepper's brilliance:

Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? and Axis: Bold As Love
Cream - Disraeli Gears
The Rolling Stones - Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request
The Kinks - Something Else By The Kinks
The Who - The Who Sell Out
The Pretty Things - Emotions
Traffic - Mr. Fantasy
Procol Harum - Procol Harum
The Doors - The Doors and Strange Days
The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow and After Bathing at Baxter's
Love - Da Capo and Forever Changes

... and, in a perfect world:
The Beach Boys - Smile

Also, if you count it as a full album rather than half of one, you can add The Beatles' own Magical Mystery Tour to that list as well.

Last edited by hoojib127; 04-17-2012 at 10:23 PM..
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Two things I should have mentioned:

I was actually not listening to Sgt. Pepper the year it came out, because I wasn't born yet. But I do remember a certain house that I lived in as a kid, having the LP (yes people, vinyl!), and that was 1977.

As for the Beatles.. I'm not a fan. Doesn't mean I don't like them, but I do respect them as groundbreaking and specific for a certain time in musical history. Sgt. Pepper however, is my favorite album by them, 'Within You Without You' will always mesmerize me.

In my mind everybody knows the Beatles, it's just part of basic music culture.. I actually truly couldn't believe that my friend, who is only 35, had never listened to Sgt. Pepper..!! It's just kinda impossible!

Or maybe it's just me..
Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post

The Kinks - Something Else By The Kinks
The Who - The Who Sell Out

Those are two of my favorite albums. I somehow never realized that they all came out in the same year.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM
I LOVE "ONE". I am thirteen and is the first album I remember hearing. Glad it wasn't something truly crappy. I also love SGT. PEPPER's a lot. It made my day when my EVIL art teacher put it on *today*. I gained respect for you moss, just a little bit