Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler View Post
New "Dissidia: Final Fantasy" trailer.

I know many of you are against the concept of an all-FF character fighting game, and really think that it's just Square Enix whoring out and further milking their franchise.

But hear this:

FUCK THAT SHIT.

That trailer is fucking awesome. Squall pwning Sephiroth, Ultimecia showing up, Firion and Zidane having a talk (about something!!), Tidus kicking ass for once . . . pure fanboy bonerism.

I can't wait.
didn't they do this already with Ehrgeiz? And it was awful?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Well that'd be like saying "Don't make "Super Smash Bros."; Link was in "Soul Calibur II"!

"Ergheiz" only had Sephiroth, Tifa and Cloud. And yes, it was awful.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd3657 View Post
I do loves me some Final Fantasy, but I'm really fucking sick of Square Enix milking the god damn franchise. With all the spin offs and pseudo-sequels (a fucking FFIV sequel on CELL PHONES? Come on), it seems like the Final Fantasy series is losing its luster. I'm nowhere near as excited for FFXIII as I am for games like Star Ocean 4, The Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Dragon Quest IX (not to mention new versions of DQ IV, V and VI on DS), the new Valkyrie Profile on DS, and a couple of others.
I would agree with you, except for the fact that the games in the main series are always significantly better than the rest (with the exception of Crisis Core, which holds its own). So, although I agree with you that they're overdoing it and it's kind of annoying, I'm still thoroughly excited for FFXIII because I know that it'll meet the quality standards that the other main games have
Old 06-28-2008, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd3657 View Post
I do loves me some Final Fantasy, but I'm really fucking sick of Square Enix milking the god damn franchise. With all the spin offs and pseudo-sequels (a fucking FFIV sequel on CELL PHONES? Come on), it seems like the Final Fantasy series is losing its luster. I'm nowhere near as excited for FFXIII as I am for games like Star Ocean 4, The Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Dragon Quest IX (not to mention new versions of DQ IV, V and VI on DS), the new Valkyrie Profile on DS, and a couple of others.

Right now, the Enix half of Square Enix > the Square half. Yeah, sure Disidia looks cool (or however the fuck you spell it), but it's not necessary at all. And as excited as I am for FFIV on DS, we don't need a fucking 7th god damn version of that game. Square Enix is the only company I simultaneously love and hate. Because when they show off something like The Last Remnant or Infinite Undiscovery, it's like "FUCK YEAH! I LOVE YOU S-E!" and then they go and announce something like a semi-Parasite Eve sequel...for fucking cell phones, and it's like "FUCK YOU! I HATE YOU, S-E!"
You complain about new versions of Final Fantasy but herald new versions of old Dragon Quest games? Seems a little contradictory to me.

I'm all for expanding worlds. Crisis Core was great and the Vincent spin off had mediocre seen-it-before gameplay but it had a pretty interesting plot and introduced fun new characters for the most part. I also absolutely loved X-2. Sure it was cheesy and very light hearted compared to X, but it completed the story in a very cool way.

Besides, games like Dissidia likely take very little focus off their flagship product which is the new FF on the next gen system.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:18 AM
Yeah, all the sequels and spinoffs are easy to avoid. I only look forward to 'canon'/main franchise games.

Unless they shamelessly milked FFVIII. Then I'd get a japanese cell phone to play whatever the fuck they release.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:34 AM
This might be a stupid question, but how will the sequel rights (not sure what phrase I'm looking for) affect Dissidia? For example, the "sequel" to XII was on Nintendo DS. Does this mean that none of the main characters of XII that appeared in Revenant Wings can be in Dissidia? That would suck, cause XII had some great characters.

Also, can I get an amen that Kefka is the best villain in FF history?
Old 06-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't think that would be a problem. DS or PS2, those characters are still property of Square-Enix, who is developing the game.

And I'm yet to play VI. Otherwise, well, uh . . . Sephiroth. But my favorite villain might be Disc 1/2 Edea (what does predictable mean?) from VIII. Like that review I read yesterday said, it's fun to see the witch from Snowhite and The Sleeping Beauty threatening the world's politics.

And Seifer was completely fucking wacko, so that's good for him.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
You complain about new versions of Final Fantasy but herald new versions of old Dragon Quest games? Seems a little contradictory to me.

I'm all for expanding worlds. Crisis Core was great and the Vincent spin off had mediocre seen-it-before gameplay but it had a pretty interesting plot and introduced fun new characters for the most part. I also absolutely loved X-2. Sure it was cheesy and very light hearted compared to X, but it completed the story in a very cool way.

Besides, games like Dissidia likely take very little focus off their flagship product which is the new FF on the next gen system.
It's a completely different beast when it comes to Dragon Quest. I did say that I'm excited for Final Fantasy IV on DS (I've got it reserved already), but that doesn't make it a necessary game. And with those 3 Dragon Quest games, we didn't even get V or VI in America, and IV was overshadowed because it came out at the end of the NES' lifespan. So I think that's worthy of new versions.

And besides the Rocket Slime and Dragon Quest Monsters games, you don't really see that many Dragon Quest spin-offs. Sure, there were some shitty games on Game Boy Color and a Mystery Dungeon game starring Torneko, but really, do you really think those were made as cash ins? Not really. When Square Enix starts making fighting games and movies with Dragon Quest characters, then we have something to bitch about.

As good as it was, Crisis Core was a totally unnecessary game (the story was fine as it is). Dirge of Cerberus was a piece of shit, and Advent Children was pretty, but hollow. Don't get me wrong, S-E is one of my favorite companies (moreso when they were Squaresoft), and Final Fantasy is one of my all time favorite game series, but Square Enix just needs to stop beating a fucking dead horse. When I look at the line-up of Square produced stuff (stuff like Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 is more obviously the Enix half, seeing as they're both Tri-Ace games), all I see is Final Fantasy XIII and the various Final Fantasy cash-ins. This doesn't even mean that the spin-offs/cash-ins will be bad games, I just wish Square would take a fucking chance and revive some of their older franchises, like Brave Fencer Musashi, Parasite Eve (with a fucking PROPER sequel), Chrono Trigger, and make a fucking decent Mana sequel. Hell, gimme fucking new IPs (all I see on the horizon is The Last Remnant, but that looks fucking wonderful). They might as well change their name to Final Fantasy Soft.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Quote:
I don't think that would be a problem. DS or PS2, those characters are still property of Square-Enix, who is developing the game.
Yeah that's what i was thinking, but I read something on http://www.squareunion.com/ that said a Judge from FFXII could possibly be added. I thought it was weird that the villain from that game would be a random judge, but I don't know.

Also, is there a plot to this game? Or can there be gaping contradictions? Personally, I'm hoping for some Zack Fair, which obviously wouldn't make sense in any storyline, but who cares?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I think there's a "plot". Like a campaign mode, but it's obviously not 'canon'. Something crazy like the "Kingdom Hearts" universe. Must be fun to see how they all interact with one another, though.

And I would fucking love to see Gabranth in Dissidia; I hope it's true.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
LOL

Darn, Square.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Quote:
LOL

Darn, Square.
Alright, I give thee the the official title "Duke Nukem Forever II".
Old 07-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Quote:
LOL

Darn, Square.
stop posting stuff like this. I may have to hurt you. I don't think I can survive any more rumors and leg pulling.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
stop posting stuff like this. I may have to hurt you. I don't think I can survive any more rumors and leg pulling.
They will continue until it's confirmed!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Well holy shit.

This is from IGN.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

E3 2008: Final Fantasy XIII Coming to Xbox 360
Square-enix's epic finally announced for Microsoft's console.
by Jimmy Thang
July 14, 2008 - Square-Enix has announced Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox 360 at Microsoft's E3 press conference.

Following the announcement was the debut of a new trailer that looked initially like a Panzer Dragoon game with dragons flying in a tench. A ship lands in the trailer and flying mechanical soldiers drop out. Included in the trailer were massive airships.

A hint of gamplay was shown and the graphics looked awesome.

Although no specific date was announced, the game will launch simultaneously on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in the US and Europe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Big score for 360 owners right there.

Ill still be getting a PS3 for the cheap Blu-ray player on it, but DAMN, exclusives really are dead.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Well holy shit.

This is from IGN.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

E3 2008: Final Fantasy XIII Coming to Xbox 360
Square-enix's epic finally announced for Microsoft's console.
by Jimmy Thang
July 14, 2008 - Square-Enix has announced Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox 360 at Microsoft's E3 press conference.

Following the announcement was the debut of a new trailer that looked initially like a Panzer Dragoon game with dragons flying in a tench. A ship lands in the trailer and flying mechanical soldiers drop out. Included in the trailer were massive airships.

A hint of gamplay was shown and the graphics looked awesome.

Although no specific date was announced, the game will launch simultaneously on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in the US and Europe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Big score for 360 owners right there.

Ill still be getting a PS3 for the cheap Blu-ray player on it, but DAMN, exclusives really are dead.
Wow that actually pisses me off... Thank God MGS wasn't released on other consoles.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:48 PM
that is a travesty. But we've been saying it here for a while on these boards: Square Enix just whores this franchise out. this is a new low... FF on XBOX? Someone tell Jesus to fire up the Armageddon machine.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 PM
As long as they are still releasing it for the PS3, I say who cares. The more people who have exposure to it the better. Now if they were to release it ONLY on the Xbox, or release 13 only for the PS3 and then 14 only for the Xbox... now that would be a shitstorm of hatred. They already did this with hand held systems, I would be beyond pissed if they did it with their next generation games too.

But yes, Square Enix is definitely whoring franchise out.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 PM
And then they announce a ffVII remake exclusive for ps3. I hope, lol.

This shits me just because they could have made such an awesome game, which it still can be, but confined to a very small dvd disc, which sucks when you have so much potential on a blu-ray. But money is money.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:30 AM
It's definately a blow to Sony, but it's beneficial to Square Enix. By going multiplatform they'll be getting more money in sales which in turns produces more games for us.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rilocay View Post
And then they announce a ffVII remake exclusive for ps3. I hope, lol.

This shits me just because they could have made such an awesome game, which it still can be, but confined to a very small dvd disc, which sucks when you have so much potential on a blu-ray. But money is money.
Well, Rockstar managed it with GTAIV, even if word is the game had to be cut down in both platforms for it to fit.

But they might just multi-disc that shit. I can't imagine how. "Lost Odyssey" isn't that huge and it's FOUR discs. That's just primitive. It'd look definitely silly for MS to go "Yeah, it's the same game, you just have to switch discs 50 times." Would make BluRay look far prettier, though. Definitely.

I'm not that concerned that the game is going to suffer at all. Remember this was a last-second call from Square-Enix. They literally decided to go multiplatform like a week ago, when FFXIII was deep, deep into development. I trust it won't hinder the overall quality.

But OH GAWD if it does I'll hammer down every 360 I come across and torch Microsoft buildings all over the world. Don't think I won't!

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 07-15-2008 at 03:10 AM..
Old 07-15-2008, 06:32 AM
I dont see why people are getting pissed off like they have stock in the company. Its not like it got canceld on the PS3, now its just coming to both systems.

I dont care that much. Ill probably have both systems by the time it hits and decide from there.

I cant exactly knock square for doing a very smart move to make $$$, and for caring about the fans that dont have a PS3.(Ill be honest, ill probably get it on PS3, but its a boon to those that dont have one!)

..but yea,this is a good thing.

Last edited by Shockwave; 07-15-2008 at 09:04 AM..
Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Shocking. But good news for me. I played all the main FF games. Gotta play this one too.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Hey everyone been a while since ive been on these forums

FF rules! I just completed 12 for the 3rd time.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Well, Rockstar managed it with GTAIV, even if word is the game had to be cut down in both platforms for it to fit.

But they might just multi-disc that shit. I can't imagine how. "Lost Odyssey" isn't that huge and it's FOUR discs. That's just primitive. It'd look definitely silly for MS to go "Yeah, it's the same game, you just have to switch discs 50 times." Would make BluRay look far prettier, though. Definitely.

I'm not that concerned that the game is going to suffer at all. Remember this was a last-second call from Square-Enix. They literally decided to go multiplatform like a week ago, when FFXIII was deep, deep into development. I trust it won't hinder the overall quality.

But OH GAWD if it does I'll hammer down every 360 I come across and torch Microsoft buildings all over the world. Don't think I won't!

Lost Odyssey had so many discs because it had support for 1080p, which means much bigger textures and much larger files.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonMan999 View Post
Lost Odyssey had so many discs because it had support for 1080p, which means much bigger textures and much larger files.
It wasn't because of the resolution (which the max is only 720p, not 1080p), it's because of the dozens of HD FMV videos used as cutscenes.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
The back of the box claims 1080p, I don't have my X-Box hooked up to something capable of 1080p so if that option doesn't exist then I admit my mistake. However, I go by what the box is telling me.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonMan999 View Post
The back of the box claims 1080p, I don't have my X-Box hooked up to something capable of 1080p so if that option doesn't exist then I admit my mistake. However, I go by what the box is telling me.
It's not natively 1080p. Like Vong said, it's about FMVs. And FFXIII would have just as many if not more. It would have to be many DVDs.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Here are some more details about it.

"E3 2008: Final Fantasy XIII Details
We sit down for an intimate talk with Square-Enix.
by Erik Brudvig

July 15, 2008 - By now you've surely heard the big news: Final Fantasy XIII is coming to Xbox 360. Square-Enix is trying to reach as broad of an audience as possible for its next epic role-playing game, which means bringing it to a Microsoft system in North America and Europe. Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase and Square-Enix corporate executive Shinji Hashimoto were in town for the announcement and IGN got the chance to sit down for a small question and answer session to go into a bit more detail than what was revealed in yesterday's larger press conference. The game is still a work in progress and so details remain slim, but we were able to wrestle a few details out of the tight-lipped developers.

The first question on the floor was one to clarify how, if at all, the Xbox 360 release would affect the PS3 version. The short answer is that it won't. Final Fantasy XIII is being developed first for the PS3 in Japan, a region that won't see an Xbox 360 release. The Xbox 360 iteration is a port of the PS3 build, but Square was quick to point out that you can't say this will cause a delay of the PS3 release in America. Separate teams are working on the two versions and both are moving along on schedule. There shouldn't be a delay in any releases.

Previous Final Fantasy games have taken at least six months to bring them from Japan to North America, and then another six months to reach Europe. The team plans on cutting this time down considerably for Final Fantasy XIII. Because of this shorter time, there are no plans for additional content over what the Japanese original has.

There also are no plans to have the games be different on Xbox 360 and PS3. Nothing has been decided for sure yet, but the team is looking at ways to compress the audio and pre-rendered cutscenes that take up a lot of data without affecting the quality when bringing the game from a blu-ray format to the DVDs that Xbox 360 reads.

Several screenshots have been released at this E3 and Square has been showing a trailer behind closed doors and at press conferences to attendees. We asked for details on these characters, but Square is not ready to talk about them just yet. The only one they would go into any detail on is the girl featured prominently in the video. She's called Lightning, though that isn't her real name. The trailer often shows her alone, which was done to portray one of the major themes in the game. The game doesn't begin with a large group of people fighting together. "There's almost sort of a rejection at the beginning," says Kitase. Lightning refuses to fight alongside others at first and, "then the relationship builds from there. The trailer was crafted to portray that theme and get that message across."

The trailer also showed some key words, such as cocoon and pulse. The Final Fantasy XIII series, including Versus, is based on the Fabula Nova Crystalis mythology. Pulse is a keyword that arises from the crystal mythology. Just as bridges or streets could be named after myths, Pulse is the name of a certain region in Final Fantasy XIII.

As far as the battle system goes, details are still slim. The system is called "ATB" and is said to be an enhanced version of FFXII. FFX, for those that aren't in the know, did not display the enemies on the battlefield and then teleported the player to a separate screen for the randomly occurring fights. FFXII, meanwhile, had a battle system closer to what you find in a standard MMO where the enemies can be seen in and then engaged on the same screen. Kitase says he "took the best of X and XII and created something entirely new and evolved it... there will be monsters on the field but it's a little bit different from the MMO style that XII had."

The director of the game, Toriyama, really likes to focus on story and motion. The director of the battle system, meanwhile, likes to focus on the battles and making that exciting. Kitase says that those two elements will be very well blended. "There is possibly going to be certain moments of the game where the story is very played up and players will be going in a linear direction, but then battles will also kick in at a certain point. [They're] aiming for a good balance there."

Kitase spoke briefly about the audio direction Final Fantasy XIII is taking. The team is in the midst of casting voice actors for the Japanese version right now, so there are no key names that could be given. "In the Final Fantasy series, we're always looked to find voices that match the appearance and personality of the characters best. So in that sense, we're looking for someone that is right for the image of the character and has talent in voice acting." In terms of the music, the team will start working on putting together the soundtrack after the cutscenes are finished and polished to match them properly. This hasn't happened yet, but they do have an idea on what direction the music should take. For this game, the team would like to incorporate more voices and choral work.

Kitase spoke about carrying the Final Fantasy torch and commented on how this game will be unique, yet familiar. "In the grand scheme of things, Final Fantasy XIII is probably very different and new from anything you've seen in the series before. But, everybody on the team has played XII and the previous titles and there is an unseen connection there among the series." He then went on to tell a story about a conversation with Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of the Final Fantasy series. In it he asked Sakaguchi about what makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy game. Jokingly, Sakaguchi told him that as long as you have white text on a blue background, you should be fine. Final Fantasy XIII doesn't have that, but Kitase says it's still a continuation. Megaton?"

IGN.

Probably not on Microsoft's console until 2010.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure if they've made it clear or not, but is Versus still PS3 exclusive?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure if they've made it clear or not, but is Versus still PS3 exclusive?
Yeah, that much he confirmed. For how long, god only knows.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Yeah, that much he confirmed. For how long, god only knows.
Its funny that one seems more fit for the X-box audience too.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Its funny that one seems more fit for the X-box audience too.
Yeah, it's what I was thinking. Both seem really, really "J" for X-Box, but still.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Yo! Darth Kenshin! Check this shit out!

""Final Fantasy XIII on 360 announcement swung the ball towards Microsoft. At Square Enix's Japan event in 2 weeks, they will swing the ball back towards Sony"."

har

omg ffvii remake teh confirmed?!
Old 07-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Quote:

""Final Fantasy XIII on 360 announcement swung the ball towards Microsoft. At Square Enix's Japan event in 2 weeks, they will swing the ball back towards Sony"."

har

Or it might just be the new mmorpg news.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Quote:

har

you're an ass...
Old 07-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Quote:
you're an ass...
Oh it's all in good fun. Just think about how great it will be when it IS confirmed.

Because it will!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:14 PM
I swear I'm not just being an ass, now.

(from . . . here)
Quote:
I can now reveal exclusive inside info about Final Fantasy… VII!

Final Fantasy VII will be getting a “new” version of the classic game from the massive franchise and it will be exclusive (for now at least) to the PLAYSTATION 3. It is unclear whether a new version will be a simple remake or an extension to the original like Crisis Core, and if it will be a Blu-ray release, or on the PSN. Something else which won’t be exclusive is the original FF7 which will be coming to the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade by the end of the year.

Both of this info will be officially announced at either Square Enix’s August conference in Japan, or the Tokyo Game Show.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 PM
I really REALLY hope that's true... Final Fantasy VII is one game that would be worthy of an upgrade but I'm tired of all the rumors. I just want this confirmed.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Quote:
I swear I'm not just being an ass, now.

(from . . . here)
To steal a line (or I guess, title) from the upcoming X-Files movie.... I want to believe in this. I really, really do. Maybe some of your unfounded hope will rub off on me.