Old 07-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Ah, but see even that is subjective. It won't be because of talent for you but for many he obviously does have talent.

Just like you and I love Cruise but Cruise also has plenty of detracters as well. Especially these days.
But in terms of great performances in GREAT films (Magnolia etc. etc.) Efron doesn't have a chance. Most people don't judge Tom nowadays because of his roles, they judge him because of his actions.

Efron will never have the great roles that Cruise has had. His popularity will come from doing hokey musical movies in which the roles he plays could be played by some random bum off the street.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
But in terms of great performances in GREAT films (Magnolia etc. etc.) Efron doesn't have a chance. Most people don't judge Tom nowadays because of his roles, they judge him because of his actions.

Efron will never have the great roles that Cruise has had. His popularity will come from doing hokey musical movies in which the roles he plays could be played by some random bum off the street.

and how do you know all of this? please tell me. have you read zac efron's 5 year plan or something?

we have not seen what this kid may be capable of, so when his 'serious' roles do show up, we can rate him on them then, but until then. lets cut him some slack.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I've seen very few things with Efron in it. I've never seen any of the High School Musical movies or Hairspray, only clips. From what I can see, he's not a good actor. But I can't really judge it because to me, all musicals are hokey and the acting is never very good (save for Sweeney Todd). It's always over the top and with that in mind, I can't judge him as an actor. It's early in his career and he hasn't had any chance to flex those acting muscles. And as for the Shia reference, did you see Even Stevens?! Shia couldn't act to save his life in that series. Look at him now. It all depends on the medium. Efron just needs to get out of his "Even Stevens" stage.

As a person, I don't really care either way. He seems like an alright guy. Has bad taste in women, but still seems decent enough. And I think the only thing he has in common with Cruise is that they're both accused of being gay.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7xfan View Post
and how do you know all of this? please tell me. have you read zac efron's 5 year plan or something?

we have not seen what this kid may be capable of, so when his 'serious' roles do show up, we can rate him on them then, but until then. lets cut him some slack.
Have you seen him act? He's absolutely dreadful. One of the least talented young actors I have ever seen. But oh, he can sing. Well, how many musicals are made every year? One or two, MAYBE. His next three roles taking him to 2010 (when he will be 23) are all teenybopper roles with not an ounce of seriousness in them.

How many actors like him end up being a great actor when they are 23 years of age and doing nothing but immature crap roles? The day this kid gets a serious role will be one for the ages. If he actually gets a role and does it well I'll tip my hat to him, but until them, he's just a completely dreadful actor that shouldn't be used in the same sentence as Tom Cruise.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1175506/

i'm gonna wait to judge him after this role...
Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 PM
I read the book and it was dreadful. Unless there are major changes, it will just be another crap role for little Efron.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke2342 View Post
zac effron is that itch I get on my ass every once in a while, nothing more.

To put him in the same boat as Shia Lebouf is an insult to The Beef and an insult to acting itself. Yes, he can sing, dance, run around with a smile on his face and wink at girls... but he can't act. Until he cuts his stupid fucking hair a bit and learns to drift into the dramatic territory, he'll be nothing more then a teen sensation. I'm down to maybe give the kid a chance, but to say anything you've seen from his work recently is great or reminds you of tom cruise is slightly retarded. It's been mediocore, or, at best, what he was chosen to do.
I tend to avoid the topic of Shia LeBeouf. Find him almost as dreadful as Efron. -prepares to get flamed-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
It was a rhetorical question, but your answering it simply just redeemed your ignorance. Saying he is a future Tom Cruise when you have only seen ONE of Tom's best performances (and not by choice if I might add) is just plain stupid.

And the chances of him having a major film career are slim to none. Not unless they start pumping out musicals like they do shitty Asian horror remakes.

I recommend you see all of those films that I listed before you even have a thought of boy toy Zac Efron rising to the likes of Tom Cruise. Efron will NEVER be able to put on a performance like Cruise did in ANY of those films.

Whoa! Condescend much? Tom Cruise has had his stinkers in his day. And we're comparing the careers of a man in mid-40s to that of a dude who's barely out of his teens. (And I agree that I think redfiretruck might've meant popularity.)

And who knows? The mother fucker could prove all of us wrong! It's a shocking thought but it could happen. And didn't the ladies/gals used to drool over Cruise and have posters of him? I think his latest wife even admitted to that publicly, no?

That said, I'm not a fan. lol