Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #441  
Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM
by god if they redo 7 and not 8 someone is loosing their balls, i mean it this time
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
I never played the FF games...i suck.
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 07-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
by god if they redo 7 and not 8 someone is loosing their balls, i mean it this time
Well first off, VII is much more popular, so there's more demand for it to be redone. But also, VII has flaws that could easily be fixed with an upgrade. VIII looked great for the time it came out, but VII had some pretty weak graphics (cutscenes aside) that I think they have to improve upon. VIII isn't dated yet... plus it sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 07-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
VIII isn't dated yet... plus it sucks.
*lights torch*

so its come to this has it
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 07-23-2008, 04:33 PM

"Huh? Wutardaysayin? Whatever; my hair is too amazing to care."

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 07-23-2008 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 07-23-2008, 05:08 PM
7 is great and all, but I just don't think they should remake any FF. Can't live in the past, they need to focus on the future... like say getting FF13 released already!
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 07-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Leaked FF Versus XIII Trailer.

Loving it. Weird, but it looks very, very different to any other FF.
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Well no remake after all. If these guys are to be believed.

(source)
Quote:
Update to Final Fantasy Info

We have been an update to the information on the Final Fantasy Info. If there will be a “new” PS3 version of Final Fantasy 7, it WILL NOT be a remake. There is likely to be a spin-off or a sequel to this popular game and exclusive to the PS3. I extremely apologise about getting some of your hopes up about the FF7 remake

It is important to us to provide reliable inside info for example, on Trophies and firmware 2.40. Many of you have pointed out that Sony own the rights to Final Fantasy 7 so how could the original come to Xbox Live Arcade. Therefore we have to question the reliability of any of my insider’s information. Hopefully by August the 3rd, we will have more of an understanding on what Square Enix may have up their sleeves.
If it IS a sequel to the game, or something like that, I'm going to really wonder about Square's sanity (again). Why waste money making a game they know won't sell as well as a remake. How much costlier would making the remake be anyway?
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 07-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 07-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler View Post
If it IS a sequel to the game, or something like that, I'm going to really wonder about Square's sanity (again). Why waste money making a game they know won't sell as well as a remake. How much costlier would making the remake be anyway?
That's the same question I've been wondering about. A VII remake has to be the biggest potential attraction in Square's entire arsenal. As much as I enjoyed Crisis Core, and as much as I would enjoy a similar game on PS3, you're absolutely right... there's no way it would sell as much as VII.
Reply With Quote
  #451  
Old 07-23-2008, 11:04 PM
I see your and raise you a
.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 07-23-2008 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
The logic here is flawed...

Majorly!


JUST REMAKE THE FUCKING THING!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler View Post
If it IS a sequel to the game, or something like that, I'm going to really wonder about Square's sanity (again). Why waste money making a game they know won't sell as well as a remake. How much costlier would making the remake be anyway?
If it were to be a sequal as opposed to a remake or spin off i would think the only way to do it would be to have a stroy about bring back Aries or something. Though i can't quite remeber how open ended the game ends so there could be other plot threads to follow.
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Quote:
If it were to be a sequal as opposed to a remake or spin off i would think the only way to do it would be to have a stroy about bring back Aries or something. Though i can't quite remeber how open ended the game ends so there could be other plot threads to follow.
If i remember rightly (it was a long time since i completed it) the last line of the game is Tifa saying to Cloud 'Let's go see her' which could suggest she was alive somewhere...

However, I would like for Aeris to remain dead, she is a great character and her death has become one of the most famous and compelling parts of video game history... to just bring her back on a whim would bring that down about (in my opinion)

I guess the game could feature the events between FF7 and Advent Children or something... I don't know.

I really with they'd just remake it though, sure - A subpar spin off will generate sales, but it won't make history like a remake would.

Everyone wants it, everyone would pay over the odds for it.. just make the damn thing!
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 AM
A remake is much bigger shoes to fill than a sequel. But look at Resident Evil, now that was fucking spectacular. That game still looks great today, but we wont mention those controls, lol. I think a remake is a good move. The only reason i can't see this from being made is because Square would want max profit from it, reason why there's a 360 port of the new ff. But than we all know how square are whores . What i do think though, is that they will definatly make a sequel, have it all planned, tease us with something, only to rop the bombshell that before we continue the story, we will get to relive it liek never before. Well, i'd hope so anyways..
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 PM
I think a remake is absolutely pointless unless they add new stuff. A new optional character maybe. Lots more side quests. Another insane optional boss.
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 07-25-2008, 05:46 PM
and don't forget some sort of new chocobo...... urge to kill rising...
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 07-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
and don't forget some sort of new chocobo...... urge to kill rising...
And if they fixed some of the bad translations, DEFINITELY would need to add voice acting.

Hell if they did all that I might be interested.
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 07-29-2008, 11:07 PM
not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but apparently FFXIII is coming out in 2008. November 20, according to Gamespot (which of course could be wrong).
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but apparently FFXIII is coming out in 2008. November 20, according to Gamespot (which of course could be wrong).
I really hope that's true but the thing about FF games is that they're almost always pushed back... November would be perfect though.
Reply With Quote
  #461  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 PM
The way you tell when a Final Fantasy game will be released in the US is wait for the Japanese release and then add around 6 months.
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
turns out the release date on gamespot was way off (not even sure why they posted it to be honest). In fact, we're not even gonna get a demo of FF XIII until March. More importantly, Square says that the PS3 version will be released at the same time as the 360 version, which is a problem since they haven't even started working on the 36o version yet. It's amazing how tedious this is becoming. Another interesting note, FF Agito XIII is not just gonna be relegated to Mobile. It's getting a PSP release. Sweet

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6195345...stnews;title;0
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
turns out the release date on gamespot was way off (not even sure why they posted it to be honest). In fact, we're not even gonna get a demo of FF XIII until March. More importantly, Square says that the PS3 version will be released at the same time as the 360 version, which is a problem since they haven't even started working on the 36o version yet. It's amazing how tedious this is becoming. Another interesting note, FF Agito XIII is not just gonna be relegated to Mobile. It's getting a PSP release. Sweet

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6195345...stnews;title;0
Wow fuck that shit. This game better be absolutely amazing or I'm just going to be pissed. I'm slowly losing interest as it is.
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM
hahaha can you say "Port to 360"?
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 08-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Gamespot has an article up now on its hands-on impressions of Dissidia, as they got to sample it at the DK Sigma 3713 event (what's with that name?).
Anyway, some highlights:

- Confirmed characters are:
FFI: Warrior of Light, Garland
FFII: Firion, The Emperor
FFIII: Onion Knight, Cloud of Darkness
FFVI: Kefka (BEST CHARACTER EVER)
FFVII: Cloud, Sephiroth
FFVIII: Squall, Ultimecia
FFIX: Zidane, Kuja
FFX: Tidus, Jecht

- The article doesn't specify if there will be more (perhaps unlockable?) characters (I assume there has to be more than 15 playable characters, though)

- The game features a way to level up in order to make your characters more powerful as you progress, and you gain ability points after battles

- Two power gauges: one a typical life bar, but it also has a bar of "brave points" that indicates how powerful each attack is. You can drain your opponents' brave points by attacking with circle, and you can drain your opponents' life by attacking with square. Those are the only 2 buttons you can use to attack, but attacks are varied based on what direction you hold while attacking, and whether your in air or on the ground

- Battles also feature an EX bar on the side that fills up if you attack, collect EX force, or if you capture the EX Core that sometimes appaers on screen (the EX core sounds similar to items that appear in Smash Brothers). When you max out the EX bar, you can enter EX mode and then perform a special attack if you execute properly

- Graphics in game are at least on par with Crisis Core

- For those of you who don't have a PSP and are interested in this, Square announced there will be a PSP bundle with Dissidia released

- Game is due in Japan in December, so expect it in the states a few months afterwards
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 08-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Regret View Post
However, I would like for Aeris to remain dead, she is a great character and her death has become one of the most famous and compelling parts of video game history... to just bring her back on a whim would bring that down about (in my opinion)
If Aeris is brought back, I'll burn down Square-Enix.

Fucking hate Aeris.
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 08-13-2008, 07:37 PM
So, I'm replaying Final Fantasy VII again to see if my feelings for Aeris have changed.

Nope. Still a useless character who doesn't stick out in the events of the plot except for when she bites the dust. Out of the things she is involved with on the first disc, it boils down to only four events (getting to Sector 7, rescuing her from Shinra, dragging her ass to the Temple of Ancients, and her death). I'm leaving out the date since it can also be with Barret, Tifa, and Yuffie. Hell, even at that point the date with Tifa leaves you with more satisfaction than with Aeris.

Fuck Aeris. You know who I feel sorry for? Tifa. Why? Cloud fucks her at the end of Disc 2, which (if I was Cloud) would have made me forget about Aeris to begin with. And what does Cloud do two years later in the horrible film Advent Children?

Well, he's still BAWING over a bitch who died two years ago.

And what's worse than the character of Aeris? Advent Children. Yes, I rented it again since I'm replaying through it, and it's still a piece of shit. When I played Final Fantasy VII when it came out, I was captivated by the way it felt like a real world. Even though characters used magic, it actually made sense this time. Even though the characters could pull off 'limit breaks', it never took away from the fact that they were still just people. Its one of the reasons Aeris' death worked in the first place; you realize that these people are human.

Advent Children fucks that up the ass by allowing Cloud to get vaulted high into the air, having characters being able to jump 20 stories, and just being completely fucking retarded. Fuck Advent Children.

Alright, I'm high. Sorry about that. And fuck Aeris. Bitch is dead. No more Final Fantasy sequels. No remake to tarnish the original. I think I'll break this rental copy of Advent Children just because it's a useless bullshit cash-in. Again, I'm high. Sorry. Fuck Aeris. Agan.
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 AM
I like Aeris, I thought she was a great character... certainly not the best, but she was really useful in fights - Build her up, and her limit is AWESOME. Unfortunatly the only time I built her up that far was when I thought I would be able to use her until the end.

Out of the chicks, Tifa & Yuffie are definatly much better, but RedXIII, Cait Sith and Sid are far more useless and boring than Aeris.
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 08-14-2008, 10:12 AM
I've always just thought she was a such a cop out of a character in game terms. I mean i've looked through a FFVII strat guide and they even bothered to give her a final limit break (not sure how to get it) but i mean what the hell is the point when she's just gonig to die?

Sure maybe it made her death seem more out of left field if she's built to progress like all the other characters even if she doesn't get the chance. But at the same time its a bit of a piss off the first time through the game and you are unaware and thinking that maybe just maybe you'll get her back some time later, but you don't.
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 AM
guess I'm in the minority when I say: Aerith > Tifa
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 PM
I think Tifa is a more interesting and stronger character but Aeris is very key to the story and I was genuinely shocked and even bit upset when she died.
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedGamer View Post
And fuck Aeris. Bitch is dead. No more Final Fantasy sequels. No remake to tarnish the original. I think I'll break this rental copy of Advent Children just because it's a useless bullshit cash-in.
Shit, you are jaded.
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 AM
So how many discs do you think the 360 version will have?

My guess is ...........12


Seriously though........thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 08-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBfan View Post
So how many discs do you think the 360 version will have?

My guess is ...........12


Seriously though........thoughts?
My guesstimite is four-five discs.
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 08-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Any one of wants a good read should check SocksMakePeopleSexy's interesting (and humorous) articles about Final Fantasy I-IX.

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff01
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 01-16-2009, 05:15 PM
FFXIII coming in 2009... only to Japan. Weak sauce.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6203284...dlines;title;1
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 04-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Bumping this thread because . . . well, why the fuck not.

I was talking to Jaded about FF the other day and wanted to bump this, especially upon noticing how I really hadn't posted here for a while.

I finished IX and I fucking loved it. I think I'll be the only fan here who actually thinks discs 3/4 > discs 1/2. The "You're Not Alone!" scene in Pandemonium after the meeting with Garland is the BEST scene Final Fantasy has done (though I'm missing 4 games). Memoria is the best dungeon ever and the game in general had some of the most memorable visuals in the series.

Also, Vivi is one of the best characters in the entire series. His fate at the end of the game really, really surprised me.

*SPOILERS*

That letter he writes to Zidane and company that plays over the finale was very, very touching. I was surprised how incredibly likable he (and all the black mages in general) were. And some of their ponderings were actually interesting. Weird thing in a game like it.

Kuja was a lame villain though. Garland was ten times more interesting.

With that--

VIII.
IX.
VII.
XII.
X.
II.
I.
XI.

* * *
I'm also about three fourths into Final Fantasy III for the DS and I'm enjoying it, though less than I enjoyed FFII. I don't really love the job system as much as I thought I would (especially considering what it did for the genre and the series) and the characters are flatter than even the cast of II. I also need the plot to go somewhere soon. Nothing's really happened.
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 04-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler View Post
Bumping this thread because . . . well, why the fuck not.

I was talking to Jaded about FF the other day and wanted to bump this, especially upon noticing how I really hadn't posted here for a while.

I finished IX and I fucking loved it. I think I'll be the only fan here who actually thinks discs 3/4 > discs 1/2. The "You're Not Alone!" scene in Pandemonium after the meeting with Garland is the BEST scene Final Fantasy has done (though I'm missing 4 games). Memoria is the best dungeon ever and the game in general had some of the most memorable visuals in the series.

Also, Vivi is one of the best characters in the entire series. His fate at the end of the game really, really surprised me.

*SPOILERS*

That letter he writes to Zidane and company that plays over the finale was very, very touching. I was surprised how incredibly likable he (and all the black mages in general) were. And some of their ponderings were actually interesting. Weird thing in a game like it.

Kuja was a lame villain though. Garland was ten times more interesting.

With that--

VIII.
IX.
VII.
XII.
X.
II.
I.
XI.

* * *
I'm also about three fourths into Final Fantasy III for the DS and I'm enjoying it, though less than I enjoyed FFII. I don't really love the job system as much as I thought I would (especially considering what it did for the genre and the series) and the characters are flatter than even the cast of II. I also need the plot to go somewhere soon. Nothing's really happened.
My man. Somehow, IX is always the forgotten game. Can't figure out why. I've always said it's on my top tier of Final Fantasy games. Can't actual come up with a strict order (it'll change based on whatever I've played more recently) but IX is way up there. The problem is, a lot of the "homages" they pay to previous FF games make it seem less creative. Particularly Kuja, who pretty much is a conglomerate of Golbez and Kefka.

But I agree with you 100% about Garland. Shame how he was wasted. He was much deeper than Kuja. And also, the visuals are amazing. I remember watching the Odin/Bahamut scene like 10 times. I personally thought it had the best cast, too. Zidane was a fun alternative to the brooding leads like Squall and Cloud, Freya was the first legitimately powerful female who didn't fall in love with the main character, Vivi was flat out classic... and, most importantly, I didn't actually hate any one (something I can't saay about, say, FFVII, cause of Barrett). And it actually had a phenomenal ending. Great game from start to finish. One of my faves, definitely.

My order (not strict, just broken into tiers)

Tier 1:
VI (gun to my head, this is the best one)
VII
IX
XII
Crisis Core (I played a ton of other FF games, but this is the only one I'm gonna mention here because it was particularly awesome).

Tier 2:
V
III
IV (bumped down because, upon a recent replay, it is a bit ridiculous)

Tier 3:
VIII
I
II
X (probably the only person who didn't love this game... cast annoyed me way too much)

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 04-19-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 04-19-2009, 02:36 PM
My only real gripe with FFIX was Amarant Coral. I understand they needed a counterweight for a character like Zidane but for god's sake. They should've at least TRIED to incorporate the character in an even slightly believable way. Amarant never fucking did anything except whine about how he doesn't need anyone (we've heard those speeches 10 times before from more interesting characters) and came out of nowhere ("Uh . . . I'll send these two mercenaries after Zidane.")

Anyone else thought that the Shrines sequence was very cool? I was thinking I'd have to do other 4 dungeons and was pleasantly surpised by the cool montage and the awesome music. Still, doesn't beat this scene. So epic.

I think this is the forgotten FF because it came out when the PSX was giving its final breaths and the PS2 (And FFX) were in everyone's minds. And of course the whole "Gaiden" aspect (apparently originally it was going to be a separate game but they liked it so much they decided to add it to the main numbered canon; Sakaguchi claims IX is his favorite FF of all).

I loved the references to FF games past.

"I knew of a spikey haired guy who used one like this." and "No squall or cloud shall hinder us." were two of my favorites.
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 04-20-2009, 11:18 PM
yeah it came out at a bad time, which is unfortunate. Seems to happen with a lot games (I remember a lot of late SNES rpgs got looked over cause people were already thinking Playstation). I think IX actually came out AFTER PS2, cause I kind of remember playing it on PS2.

I always kind of hoped IX would develop some kind of cult following, but it never really happened. Funny thing is, it's actually the highest rated of the FF games on gamerankings.com... granted, by a VERY marginal amount, but I think a lot of people think of it as a throw-away kind of (maybe because it wasn't even supposed to be in the main series) but that's clearly not the case.

I was reading an article about it not that long ago that basically said the lack of interest in the game was a combination of bad timing and also too much borrowed from previous games. Basically, younger gamers were already busy with their PS2, but the game didn't feel "fresh" enough for older Final Fantasy fans to care about. Personally, I think that's crap, because with the exception of Kuja's antics, the game doesn't feel like a retread whatsoever. And even though Kuja's story and plan was reminiscent of Golbez and Kefka, his character was very different, as was the dynamic between him and the heroes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump