Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 02:20 PM

Read in another forum that it is Douglas Sirk's Magnificent Obsession.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I read this over at .org as well. Very exciting, I'm a huge Sirk fan.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Do you know if Bottle Rocket is still set for Oct?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden4 View Post
Do you know if Bottle Rocket is still set for Oct?
I wouldn't bet on it. Rumor is Criterion won't be able to shell out their Blu-Ray line up by October like they hoped. They are pushing them to December. I assume they'll want to release Bottle Rocket day-in-date with their Blu-Ray release.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I would say no as well since the October releases have already been announced and no Blu-Ray yet either. November titles should be in about a week, so we'll see if Blu-Ray comes then or if they are sticking to December.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 PM
So what happened to the regular supply of rumours and speculation that fueled this thread for so long? My Dinner With Andre is still not here! I want them to release Malle's Black Moon even more!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah...its sad that people are more interested about rumors and speculation about movies that come in steel cases than Criterion. But yeah, its died down a little, and its sad that the middle of every month, when new releases are announced or the newsletter comes out, I usually have to dig this out of the second page.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Well I say no more! We must keep this tread alive and kicking Sam!

Any rumours on what re-issues could be on the way? I read that The 39 Steps could be getting an upgrade a la Lady Vanishes last year. Alphaville is also a good possibility for the end of the year when the announcements hit. Personally I'd like to see them re-acquire the rights to Clouzot's Le Corbeau and Quai des Orfevres.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:22 PM
As far as re-issues go, I know Andrei Rublev is in dire need of one, and it has been highly speculated for a while now. Also, with the upcoming release of White Dog, hopefully gets announced very soon, I know Naked Kiss, and Shock Corridor have been very highlly rumored to be coming for a re-release too, so maybe a Samuel Fuller box or something.

Also, I don't think its needed at all, but a Chasing Amy re-release is supposedly in the works last I heard.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:28 PM
November Releases

Additionally, Chungking Express and Bottle Rocket are officially the first 2 Criterion Blu-Rays:
http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=20000
http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=20001
Old 08-15-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm mostly excited about Chungking Express. Never was as big a Bottle Rocket fan despite loving the rest of Anderson's flicks and I already have the original edition so i don't know if I'll double dip just to get the Criterion.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I'm mostly interested in Chungking Express. Might go crazy and get the Blu-Ray. Who knows. Never liked Bottle Rocket, so I don't care much about that. Fanfan La Tulipe actually seems cool to me, though, just because I like those swashbuckling sorts of movies.

I'm still waiting for Marienbad...and a few other things...
Old 08-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I love that Chungking Express cover...gets across the kinetic but romantic and also lonely feel of WKW's films all in a single picture.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Chungking Express and Bottle Rocket for me.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Chungking Express, Bottle Rocket, and Spy Came in From the Cold have me pretty excited. Bottle Rocket is actually one of my favorite Wes Anderson
Old 08-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Update: More Blu-Ray in November

The Third Man, The Man Who Fell To Earth, and The Last Emperor are all also on Blu-Ray in November, it would seem. And with exclusive features, no less.

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=20002
http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=20003
http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=20004
Old 08-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSanchez View Post
Chungking Express, Bottle Rocket, and Spy Came in From the Cold have me pretty excited. Bottle Rocket is actually one of my favorite Wes Anderson
Agreed, I'll be picking up all 3 most likely.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:34 PM
I absolutely love that the blu-rays get the booklet too. I was worried about it. Never shall i question Criterion.

I was surprised to see that the covers are exactly the same, even the emblems. I was expecting this...

Also: The blu-ray's really don't have much to offer in terms of exclusives. They are exactly the same, the only difference are web-exclusive essays.

I'm pissing my pants with excitement for Chungking Express, The Last Emperor, The Third Man, The Man Who Fell to Earth and Bottle Rocket. Shit, i'm exited about all of them (especially Chungking Express).

I admire that the blu-ray's are the same price as the standard DVD. These are going to be gorgeous.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Quote:
I admire that the blu-ray's are the same price as the standard DVD.
Great strategy. Why would you get the "bland" DVD when you can get the film in 1080p for the same price?

Take that Fox, with your no extras, over-priced catalogue Blu-ray titles
Old 08-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I think i'm gonna get all of them... this could get expensive.

But god damn, will these look gorgeous!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:42 PM
I already have the bare-bones editions of "Bottle Rocket" and "The Spy Who Came In from the Cold" released by Columbia and Paramount, respectively, so I doubt I'll be getting those. The other 2 titles don't interest me. Hopefully "El Norte" will finally be out in December.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Seriously hoojib127, grab Chungking Express as well.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I can't really tell by the website, but is there any indication that the Blu-Ray titles are going to have the same spine numbers as their DVD counterparts, or are they starting over from #1 like when they did when they went from laserdisc to DVD?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSanchez View Post
I can't really tell by the website, but is there any indication that the Blu-Ray titles are going to have the same spine numbers as their DVD counterparts, or are they starting over from #1 like when they did when they went from laserdisc to DVD?
If they do start over, its even more likely that i'll buy all the blu-rays, a chance for me to start a criterion collection from the beginning.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Just watched my copy of Battle of Algiers for the first time. Damn it was great. Pretty much flawless I'd say. Why had I never heard of this before I saw it on the Criterion website? So far it's my favourite film Criterion has put out and this is after one viewing...or maybe it's tied with Ran.

I'll give it another go to see if it holds up, but before I do that I think I'll dabble with the docs.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
If they do start over, its even more likely that i'll buy all the blu-rays, a chance for me to start a criterion collection from the beginning.
Forgot to mention they had a FAQ in their most recent newsletter. They stated the spine numbers will be the same as the regular DVDs. They will not start over.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
Forgot to mention they had a FAQ in their most recent newsletter. They stated the spine numbers will be the same as the regular DVDs. They will not start over.
Really? Didn't think they would do it like that.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
Really? Didn't think they would do it like that.
Yeah....neither did I. Because to me, that would mean they don't plan to re-release all of the existing titles from Criterion, obviously, that was a given, but it also means, they don't really plan to release anything exclusively on Blu-Ray unless they plan to release without a spine number. If they really planned to fully commit to a Blu-Ray line, I would think they would have began from the beginning with Spine #1.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I really enjoyed Bottle Rocket(but its the only Anderson film to not get a 10 from me) plus I just bought it at Best Buy brand new for 3.99, so Im not sure if i'll pick this one up. I'd much rather a Darjeeling Limited Criterion.

Hopefully it'll have one soon.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:02 AM
Something I've noticed on the bluray criterions is that they don't have all of the same features as the dvds.
for example,the bluray is only 1 disc whereas the dvd is 4, and the dvd has the extended tv cut, whereas the bluray does not, at least according to the special features list.
also, the bluray for the man who fell to earth doesn't have the book that comes with the dvd.
does anyone have any more details on this?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Le plaisir http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...le_plaisir.htm

I'm not posting because I have the Second Sight UK dvd. I know that screen shots don't always tell the whole story, but the Criterion looks pretty bad compared to the SS.

I really hope that Madame De... is a lot better, cuz the Second Sight is shit.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 PM
December is up:

Can't wait for White Dog.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Aaargh!! My wait for "El Norte," "The Hit," and "Insignificance" continues for yet another month.

I might give "White Dog" a whirl, though.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Europa sounds interesting. White Dog does too, though not as much, but I'll check it out at some point just because it seems like I always see people mention it in this thread. I've never seen anything by Samuel Fuller and have only seen Dancer in the Dark by Lars Von Trier, and a long time ago at that. I've always wanted to check out both directors, but never gotten around to it, so these releases definitely have me interested.

Cool artwork, as well.

Still, there's a bunch of things I'm still waiting on for Criterion to release. It's getting rather frustrating.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Samuel Fuller is definitely a must to check out. Even with the collection, I'd recommend Pickup on South Street and Shock Corridor. I haven't seen White Dog yet, but its a title I've been looking forward to quite a bit.

But yeah, December is always a slow month for Criterion so it looks 2009 should have tons of titles still on schedule that we have been waiting for.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Joy! I was starting to wonder when White Dog would get released since I hadn't heard anything for a while, love the cover art. It'll make a nice little christmas present to myself .

I'd highly recommend giving it a watch if you haven't already seen it, fantastic movie.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
New Wacky Cartoon:

One of the few times I could answer this on my own as I'm pretty sure that's Bunuel's Exterminating Angel that its alluding to. Good news
Old 09-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Bought the Traffic Criterion for $15 at HMV last week. Strangely there is no spine number on it...maybe that's why it was so cheap.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:22 PM
That's because Alliance Atlantis, which has the DVD rights to Traffic, forgot to put the spine number on it. They got a lot of flack for that omission and produced replacement sleeves so you may want to inquire about getting one. I used to have tons at my old DVD stores but no more.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Would I contact Alliance, Criterion or HMV about that?