Old 07-31-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm reading this book at the moment, didn't know so many people loved it but I have just accidentally read a spoiler, so I will be back when I have read it
Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh God I bought this book months ago and I still haven't got round to reading it..

By the sounds of it alot has been cut out of the film which is all I've ever seen... Is the second half of the film completely different to the book then?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrOken BaRbiE View Post
Oh God I bought this book months ago and I still haven't got round to reading it..

By the sounds of it alot has been cut out of the film which is all I've ever seen... Is the second half of the film completely different to the book then?
More or less, the climaxes of BOTH time periods happen at the same time in the book. (in the movie you go kids, then adults) but in the book 'the end' happens twice in a row. So, the pacing is very different.

And yeah, theres a fair bit cut out that you should check out.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:08 AM
It's the most impacting thing King ever wrote, but yeah, not perfect. Still worth reading even if it's totally bugfuck nuts.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
More or less, the climaxes of BOTH time periods happen at the same time in the book. (in the movie you go kids, then adults) but in the book 'the end' happens twice in a row. So, the pacing is very different.

And yeah, theres a fair bit cut out that you should check out.
The end happens twice in a row? What do you mean?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrOken BaRbiE View Post
The end happens twice in a row? What do you mean?
*SPOILERS*

The end intercuts with the children's final encounter with IT and the adult's final encounter with IT.

*END SPOILERS*
Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Ohhhh ok I get you.... I don't like the sound of that....
Old 08-26-2008, 03:01 AM
Finished it.

It was indeed an amazing novel, scary when it needed to be and appropriately light-hearted when it needed to be. The charaters are all brilliant and King really knows how to build-up and write those intense scenes; there was some disturbing stuff in this novel.
That doesn't make it worse though, seems like its just trying to show life for what it really is. I was also loving the little homages to other novels, writers and films and would certainly recommend the epic to others

10/10
Old 08-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I also really love this book.

I remember reading it when I was 13 or so and it was just mesmerizing (I read it, all 1,000+ pages, in 8 days - I've never read anything else nearly so fast).

I've never read a horror book that comes close to this. The part I will always remember is the first scene with the paper boat, now that definitely hooked you and gave you a taste of what was to come. What I was always fascinated by was how the villain just completely dominated the book, even when it wasn't in the foreground, it's presence was felt. It (the creature, not the book as a whole) was the stuff of nightmares and childhood fears brought to life. It could be anything or anywhere, you never really knew what to expect and when it did emerge...

I was also really impressed by it's scope especially when it took the perspective of non-main characters and explored how ancient this thing and powerful this thing was. It definitely added to the overriding feelings of fear and unease you got from reading the book. More than that, the length King went to describe the town and it's inhabitants was astounding, I almost felt as if I had been there.

My favourite King book by far. I really do have to read it again, it's been about 13 or so years since I've read it and some of the details are getting hazy.

My only problem with it,and I guess I'm not alone based on some of the above comments, was that scene near the end with the kids (if you read it, you'll know what I'm talking about). I knew what King was trying to do in that scene but it's hard not to be a little put off by it and it did seem a little out of the blue. But on the whole, it's an extremely minor point that does nothing to diminish the book as a whole.

If I ever read a more engrossing horror novel, I'll be very impressed.

btw the miniseries blew in comparison
Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Potter, have you read "The Stand"? A better book than IT, IMO. The characters are more likeable, the plot's better, everything is just better about it to me.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Trail_Blazer, I have read "The Stand" (the unabridged version) and I'd say that it is my favourite King book next to "It".

I suppose the main reason why I marginally prefer "It" to "The Stand" is that I found "It" easier to relate to and engrossing given that it focused on a single town and on a small group of characters whereas I found "The Stand" harder to relate to given the sheer epic scale of the novel and number of characters - which of course is not a bad thing by any means, I just felt that the scale of the thing was less conducive to inspiring feelings of suspense and horror, it seemed more like an adventure to me.

The only other pet peeve I had with "The Stand" (and it was a slight one at that) was it's religious overtones especially the stuff with Mother Abigail, it just sort of rubbed the wrong way at times.

Overall though they're both great books and I'd put "It" only marginally above "The Stand".

Last edited by Potter82; 08-28-2008 at 11:03 AM..
Old 10-01-2008, 03:44 PM
It hands down is Stephen King at the peak of his powers. The only book that still gives me chills when I read it. Powerful stuff, now only if they would make this into a movie the right way. Yes, fuck that stupid 1990 television movie, even though Tim Curry fucking owned as Bob Gray/Pennywise the Dancing Clown, the movie pales in comparison.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Joblo readers are really into stephen king! I appreciate that king wanted to expand boundaries by trying his hand at some literature, he just did a better job at blending his pop stuff in The Stand than in IT.

No offense to anyone, but if you think this is the greatest book ever written, you haven't read enough books.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
No offense to anyone, but if you think this is the greatest book ever written, you haven't read enough books.
I let a girl at school read the First Draft of my novel that I wrote at the end of last year. Maybe two weeks ago at school, we were making fun of the tweenage fan-girlism towards Twilight and asked her what her favorite book was. She said that she didn't know. Then that night on Myspace, she told me that my book was her favorite, but she thought that it would sound corny. I said "Really? You must not read often."

I think that IT is one of the few novels that Stands (Pun!!!) up to the hype. And that's no hyperbole.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter82 View Post
Hi Trail_Blazer, I have read "The Stand" (the unabridged version) and I'd say that it is my favourite King book next to "It".

I suppose the main reason why I marginally prefer "It" to "The Stand" is that I found "It" easier to relate to and engrossing given that it focused on a single town and on a small group of characters whereas I found "The Stand" harder to relate to given the sheer epic scale of the novel and number of characters - which of course is not a bad thing by any means, I just felt that the scale of the thing was less conducive to inspiring feelings of suspense and horror, it seemed more like an adventure to me.

The only other pet peeve I had with "The Stand" (and it was a slight one at that) was it's religious overtones especially the stuff with Mother Abigail, it just sort of rubbed the wrong way at times.

Overall though they're both great books and I'd put "It" only marginally above "The Stand".

Ha, six months later I see your reply. Fair enough boss.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 AM
The anticipation for this book back in the fall of '86 was off the chart. Nothing like the Harry Potter mania we've seen in recent years, but it was still a huge event. Part of the hype, I recall, was that King said this was going to be his last pure horror novel. That didn't last, of course, but back then it added to the excitement. He made the cover of TIME when it came out.

Sadly, 'It' might be the last truly great Stephen King book. Nothing has compared since, and he's all but unreadable in the past 15 years or so. That horrendous ending to 'Rose Madder' put an end to my King obsession. Stuff like 'Cell' just seems like a parody.

He was untouchable in the '70s and '80s, though. Just one amazing book after another.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Law View Post

He was untouchable in the '70s and '80s, though. Just one amazing book after another.
Yes. He did a lot of cocaine.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Sadly, 'It' might be the last truly great Stephen King book. Nothing has compared since, and he's all but unreadable in the past 15 years or so. That horrendous ending to 'Rose Madder' put an end to my King obsession. Stuff like 'Cell' just seems like a parody.

Have you ever read Lisey's Story? It came out recently (as in last decade) and is on my top-5 King novels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Yes. He did a lot of cocaine.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgick View Post
The western mind puts children in a unhealthy class of purity in my opinion. Kids are not as fragile as we make them out to be.

Much like homophobia this awkward reaction to that part of the story says more about the reader then the material itself.
That's some messed up Lawgick.

But yes, I'm just an old fashioned right-wing nutjob prude-square who doesn't enjoy reading detailed descriptions of 10 year olds taking turns in doing their 10 year old friend. Can't help it.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I must be the only person that doesn't have a problem with the 10 year-old sexuality put on full(-frontal) display in this novel...must say a good deal about my personality.

(But really, I don't rape kids and then make them sodomize/rape each other...I promise. )
Old 06-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1ng3rsnap9ed View Post
I must be the only person that doesn't have a problem with the 10 year-old sexuality put on full(-frontal) display in this novel...must say a good deal about my personality.

(But really, I don't rape kids and then make them sodomize/rape each other...I promise. )
I also had a problem with that part of the book, it just made me feel uncomfortable reading about it. I know what he was going for with that part but it just came out creepy and bizarre - it was essentially a gang bang, which is just gross and sleazy no matter how you frame it. Still, it was what?, a few pages out of over a thousand, it's forgivable imho.

Last edited by Potter82; 06-26-2009 at 12:46 PM..
Old 06-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Quote:
The anticipation for this book back in the fall of '86 was off the chart. Nothing like the Harry Potter mania we've seen in recent years, but it was still a huge event. Part of the hype, I recall, was that King said this was going to be his last pure horror novel. That didn't last, of course, but back then it added to the excitement. He made the cover of TIME when it came out.

Duma Key was the best thing he's wrote in the last 10 years or so.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I also had a problem with that part of the book, it just made me feel uncomfortable reading about it. I know what he was going for with that part but it just came out creepy and bizarre - it was essentially a gang bang, which is just gross and sleazy no matter how you frame it. Still, it was what?, a few pages out of over a thousand, it's forgivable imho.
I know what King was going for with that part of the book, and it worked for me. I 'spose I'm the Lone Ranger on this one.
Quote:
Duma Key was the best thing he's wrote in the last 10 years or so.
Really? I haven't read that one yet. Has his other new book, Under the Dome (or Beneath the Dome, I forget the actual title.) come out yet? It's supposed to be a big, meaty thing.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Quote:
I know what King was going for with that part of the book, and it worked for me. I 'spose I'm the Lone Ranger on this one.
Nah, you're not the only one. It really served two purposes--the kids were going to lose each other, but they had to remain "close" in order to escape. And on a subtextual level, it really drives for the loss of innocence. Sure, it was disturbing. But isn't all loss of innocence?

Quote:
Really? I haven't read that one yet. Has his other new book, Under the Dome (or Beneath the Dome, I forget the actual title.) come out yet? It's supposed to be a big, meaty thing.
Ginger, definitely give Duma Key a read! Very creepy, very well written. I know I can't wait for Under the Dome, either. Definitely bound to be another King epic!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Quote:

Yeah, it's a real minor thing for me in the grand scheme of things. I still think "It" is his best book though I'm tempted to re-read "The Stand" again, a close 2nd, since it's been about 10 years I think since I last read it. They are two very different books though and hard to compare. "The Stand" is just epic in scope whereas It is far more intimate.

"Duma Key" is really good. It's well written and a quick read. It's also a pretty personal book given that the main character is recovering from a traumatic car accident. It has a strong, mysterious supernatural element and sense of all encompassing menace, key ingredients in King's best work imho.

I've also heard about "Under the Dome" and it has potential but I'll be honest - after reading the plot summary on Amazon I was reminded in a way of The Simpsons movie, you know, when Springfield was surrounded by an impenetrable dome. I could be very "Mist" like in that it will probably focus on how humans deal with a mystifying external threat. It could be epic though, especially if The Dome starts to slowly retract, threatening to crush everything inside it, that could be really suspenseful.

Last edited by Potter82; 06-30-2009 at 01:36 PM..
Old 09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm currently re-reading this book (I read it for the first time about seven years or so ago--Lucky Seven )

Wow, it's more horrifying than I remember. It's a fantastic and quite edgy book with well-drawn out characters and sub-plots. It's also the only book I've read that has given me intense shivers.