Old 09-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
So... The season is almost here and we're getting a better idea of who's good and who really sucks. Who here thinks that the Chiefs and the Falcons have a seriously good chance of not winning a single game this season? I really don't think the Falcons will get one this year, they're awful at every position except running back and shit that's not even proven to be good as a starting back.
Quote:
Atlanta Falcons(0-16) - Will not win one game this season.
FALCONS 1-0 BABY!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post

Atlanta Falcons (1-15) They have to win at least 1 game. Right. Riiiiiiiiiight.

You're darn right!!!

Last edited by bigred760; 09-07-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Old 09-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Close game for the Saints against TB, but Fujita with the game saving INT with under a minute to play. These are the games that New Orleans HAS to win. If they can't perform like they did two seasons ago, then the least they need to do is win the division.

It's a tough sell with Seattle, they get wiped out in Buffalo but were in a very bad situation for this one. I can see them being strong against SF and STL, but NYG will beat them and most likely start them on a losing skid.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Brady is my starting QB in my fantasy league. I'm fucked.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunn10 View Post
The two things that went right for the Giants - Brandon Jacobs and Plaxico Burress

Look at the Giants' recieving group without Burress... ugh

I totally disagree. The reason it looks this way is because Manning only looks for Plexico. Smith has been great, Toomer is still very good. Moss might do something from time to time. And there is the new kid Mario Manningham. Hixon would be good too if he played. They did not even use Bradshaw. The Giants could have a huge offense if they call some decent plays.

I usually am not happy to see a player get injuried, but in Brady's case I am really happy. This team has been too lucky for too long. Brady has it too good for too long. My only wish is that they still make the playoffs and not tank the year to get top draft choices.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan1234 View Post
Brady is my starting QB in my fantasy league. I'm fucked.
I think you're right, because ESPN is reporting that Matt Cassel is officially the starting QB for the Pats.

Anyway, the Jets managed to topple the Dolphins in Brett Favre's debut, and I'm shocked by the Panthers win over the Chargers.

Strider
Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Brady's injury looked bad, but logically, how can any one be declared "out for the season" before the MRI? I'll believe it after tomorrow, but it makes no sense that they'd decide this already.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:15 PM
jesus, The Bears just skullfucked the shit out of my colts
Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 PM
The Panthers win over the Chargers is nowhere near as big of an upset as the Bears' assault on the Colts tonight. That was an embarrassing loss for the Colts -- they were terrible. Peyton Manning didn't look or play like his usual self. I realize he's still recovering from his injury, but nevertheless, he didn't play well at all. The Bears' D-line harassed Manning and the Colts all night long. I cringed watching this game.

I've got a bad feeling about the Colts this season.

Strider
Old 09-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Brady's injury looked bad, but logically, how can any one be declared "out for the season" before the MRI? I'll believe it after tomorrow, but it makes no sense that they'd decide this already.
There has been no official declaration, rather that it is believed (Educated guesses, they do have medical staff/trainers not to mention players who know what they're talking about) Tom Brady tore his ACL and injured his hamstring.

In light of this, word is Chris Simms has been invited to Foxboro tomorrow for a workout and physical examination.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:40 PM
The Panthers win over the Chargers was fucking awesome. If they can beat Chicago and go 2-0 without Steve Smith, that will definately be a fantastic start. I for one thought they would get manhandled today, but I suppose I didn't have enough faith in Delhomme, who has brought the Panthers back in the 4th quarter time after time. Delhomme wasn't the most impressive player to me... howbout John Kasay? The old man can still kick the shit out of the ball.

Moving on..

What do you guys think about the Jets' chances of winning the division now that Brady is out of the picture? Or the Bills? I was surprised by both of them today.

Maybe its a bit early.. or a lot early to say this.. but the teams at the top of the standings might look much different this year.

Last edited by sbunn10; 09-07-2008 at 10:42 PM..
Old 09-07-2008, 10:41 PM
They are pretty damn certain that Brady's out for the year on NFL.com's homepage
Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 PM
I eat my words regarding the Falcons.

BUT Atlanta fans... still know your team sucks and you will be picking first next year... you can't play the Lions all 16 games.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Brady out for the season = good.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Quote:
I eat my words regarding the Falcons.

BUT Atlanta fans... still know your team sucks and you will be picking first next year... you can't play the Lions all 16 games.
this is true..but as a Panthers fan, Michael Turner scares me a bit..and so does the fact that Matt Ryan looks like he will be great in a couple of years. A dominant RB and QB in Atlanta is the last thing we need.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Wooossshhhh!

You know what that is? That's the sound of the Patriot's season going down the toilet! :P

But anyway, why wouldn't they go after Dante Culpepper now that he's retired and all instead of the overrated Simms. I mean, if they're looking for a back up why not go after a proven NFL quarterback. A has been is better than a never will be, in my book. Plus Randy Moss is there and as I recall they had pretty good chemistry, once upon a time.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Yay! Brady injured his knee really badly! SWEET!!!

Seriously. What is wrong with some of you people?

I've never in my life cheered for a player getting injured, regardless of who it was or the team he was on... But I guess that's just me.

Here's holding out some hope that a Pat's hater will soon post that he is unhappy, or at least does not consider it a good thing that Brady severely damaged his knee on Sunday.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Brady is one of the most egotisical, superfical assholes on the planet, so it would be understandable if there were some people doing cartwheels after hearing the news of his blown knee.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 AM
I've always disliked the Patriots greatly, but I'm not happy he went down. Now anyone who beats the Patriots aren't really beating "the" Patriots. Tom Brady is one of the best quarterbacks to play the game, and always provided some exciting games. Still, it will be interesting to see how this shifts the power at the top.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunn10 View Post
I've always disliked the Patriots greatly, but I'm not happy he went down. Now anyone who beats the Patriots aren't really beating "the" Patriots.
I completely agree. I absolutely despise the Patriots with all my heart and soul, and I'm not happy that Tom Brady is injured and (possibly) out for the season either. I love seeing the Patriots lose when they're at full strength, and I, for one, was really looking forward to Brett Favre facing off against Brady next week. But now it's going to be Favre vs. Matt Cassel.

Strider
Old 09-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Despite the loss to the Jets, I was really impressed with Chad Pennington after his lethargic start of the game. He kept them in it until the end and his receivers couldn't get open. They damn near had it won at the last second. Pennington is the most underrated QB probably in the history of the game. His career completion percentage is 65.7. The best ever. EVER. Sure he can't launch it a million yards downfield, but he is as accurate as they come. He likely won't lead Miami to the promised land, but he will give them a better chance to win a few games than any QB they've had since Fiedler.

Say what you will about Fiedler, they had two 10-win seasons with him at the helm. Obviously every Dolphin fan knew he wouldn't be their guy to take them to the Super Bowl, but he played consistently enough.

I'm worried about Ronnie Brown.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Some random thoughts...

Well, you can already close the book on the Lions this year after getting their asses wiped clean by a rookie QB. Can they FINALLY fire Matt Millen's fat worthless ass this year???

Same goes for the Bengals, or at least their defense. Whatta bunch of pussies...

Buffalo came exploding out of the gate, but can they keep it up???

Favre has now cemented himself as the greatest the game has ever seen, in my eyes. To come out and play like that while calling yourself a Jet, wow. Pussington looked good too, but his limp-wristed throwing style won't take the Phins far...

Brees looked amazing as well for the Saints...

Damm, and I was sitting here thinking McNabb was washed up this year, and him and the Eags wipe the floor with the fuckin Rams haha...

Are the Texans always gonna suck this bad, or are the Steelers just that damm good this year???

Vince Young goes down and Kerry Collins (a better QB BTW) takes over, and that humongous Titan defense swallows up Garrard...

Well Jerry Jones' All-Star Band (Cowboys) start off with a W over the lowly Browns. One wonders if Cleveland can at least muster a 9-7 mark this year...

Game And Upset Of The Day has to be Panthers over Chargers. Carolina on the road, without Steve Smith, win on one hell of a gutsy final drive by DelHomme, while Peppers and the Panthers D eat No Class Tomlinson for dinner and ask for seconds. Shithead Turner should really look to John Fox as an example of what a real coach is...

Does anyone else think that a Kurt Warner-led Cards has a shot at winning their division???

As for the Colts, what shit. It appears that this once-mighty team is now edging past their primes. Sure Manning is still good, but Harrison and that defense is not what they once were, and as for the Bears, this shows that Kyle Orton should have been their QB all along instead of Grossman...

Finally,

Brady-Let me just say first off that it DID appear to be a dirty hit to me. The guy was blocked out of the play, Brady was getting the pass off no matter what, so he just dove for Brady's knee. One almost has to wonder if a poster with Brady's face along with a large bounty was put up in the KC locker room. If so, then that guy certainly earned his money...

On the other hand, look at who the Pats are looking at: Baby Simms?? Are you fucking kidding me??? Tim Rattay???? Please. The solution right now is to make a one year big money offer to Culpepper to reunite with Moss one last time. Then, we could be talking Super Bowl, the whole ten yards. As for Cassel, they've been preparing him for this for the last three years, but I'm not even sure he even deserves to be in the NFL, much less Brady's backup...

One last thing: NBC, please FIRE Keith Olbermann from your broadcast booth. The guy knows as much about football as Harvey Fierstein and is a stain on good analysts everywhere...

Last edited by JJFlamingo; 09-08-2008 at 12:05 PM..
Old 09-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
The Panthers win over the Chargers is nowhere near as big of an upset as the Bears' assault on the Colts tonight. That was an embarrassing loss for the Colts -- they were terrible. Peyton Manning didn't look or play like his usual self. I realize he's still recovering from his injury, but nevertheless, he didn't play well at all. The Bears' D-line harassed Manning and the Colts all night long. I cringed watching this game.

I've got a bad feeling about the Colts this season.

Strider
It is way too early to count out the Colts. They are still well coached and Manning did not play at all this preseason. They will be fine 11-5 at worst.

Quote:
Yes, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe15 View Post
Wooossshhhh!

You know what that is? That's the sound of the Patriot's season going down the toilet! :P

But anyway, why wouldn't they go after Dante Culpepper now that he's retired and all instead of the overrated Simms. I mean, if they're looking for a back up why not go after a proven NFL quarterback. A has been is better than a never will be, in my book. Plus Randy Moss is there and as I recall they had pretty good chemistry, once upon a time.
They will still make the playoffs. The defense is not top on the league, but still top 10. The offense will rebound and regroup with someone else, but they are not going to the super Bowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRontoRon View Post
Yay! Brady injured his knee really badly! SWEET!!!

Seriously. What is wrong with some of you people?

I've never in my life cheered for a player getting injured, regardless of who it was or the team he was on... But I guess that's just me.

Here's holding out some hope that a Pat's hater will soon post that he is unhappy, or at least does not consider it a good thing that Brady severely damaged his knee on Sunday.
The Pats are cheaters. They won there first Super Bowl with that suck ass tuck rule. They taped the practices to win another Super Bowl. They break the rules when it comes to IR players by allowing them to practice. They have had a remarkable amount of luck these last several years and it is about time they suffer a real injury that all teams face. Bill B is an arrogant asshole. He deserves this the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeman69 View Post
Brady is one of the most egotisical, superfical assholes on the planet, so it would be understandable if there were some people doing cartwheels after hearing the news of his blown knee.
Nice.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:42 PM
i dont know about all this criticism for Brady.. but whatever.. its mostly blind hate. I hate the Pats but I don't think he deserves all of the above shit talking about him.

an unrelated thought- I think the Steelers might be the best team in the AFC this year.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:27 PM
some thoughts on this week

First. [QUOTEsbunn10=] What do you guys think about the Jets' chances of winning the division now that Brady is out of the picture? Or the Bills? I was surprised by both of them today. [/QUOTE]

You know what this division is now wide open I think either the Jets or the Bills can take it. I was impressed with Pennington to think the Dolphins will be better than I thought maybe 6 wins or possibly 7.

While the Bills were great but really how good is Seattle? I don't think they are that good.

Also Atlanta looked good and Michael Turner was awesome I will admit the Falcons will be better than I thought and all of us thought but I think the Lions are going to be very terrible.

Also it's sad that the Bengals lost to a rookie QB.

Now for Brady's injury now I don't cheer injuries (unless it's a certain whiny ahole WR that will remain nameless in every one of my posts), but I'm not sad either this is a team that has gotten lucky for years and this is karma biting them where it hits them. You have to have luck go your way and this team has been lucky for 6 years with injuries and other teams misfortunes.

And the Colts lost there's still 15 more games I wouldn't be worried yet hey didn't they lose their pening game a few years ago and were fine.

There's a long way to go so I wouldn't get too excited about the first week yet.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeman69 View Post
You don't know much about football do you? Tom Brady is a class act and has been the posterboy for the NFL for years, this couldn't have happened to a better guy, and that's a damn shame. It's an absolute honor watching Brady carve up defenses. Tom Brady is the very definition of classy. And this is coming from a Bills fan! Now Belichick, there is an arrogant asshole. Although he is a fucking genius, so he has some respect from me. If there is anyone who can coach the Patriots to the AFC East title without Brady it's Belichick.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
some thoughts on this week

First. [QUOTEsbunn10=] What do you guys think about the Jets' chances of winning the division now that Brady is out of the picture? Or the Bills? I was surprised by both of them today.
.[/QUOTE]

I do not buy intot he Jets yet. The honeymoon is not over for Favre yet. That ball he just threw up for grabs just before the half is not always going to be caught by a Jet. The Bills have been building since last year. I am going with the Bills. I am not counting out the Pats yet though. They still have a great line and other offensive weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan1234 View Post
You don't know much about football do you? Tom Brady is a class act and has been the posterboy for the NFL for years, this couldn't have happened to a better guy, and that's a damn shame. It's an absolute honor watching Brady carve up defenses. Tom Brady is the very definition of classy. And this is coming from a Bills fan! Now Belichick, there is an arrogant asshole. Although he is a fucking genius, so he has some respect from me. If there is anyone who can coach the Patriots to the AFC East title without Brady it's Belichick.
Belichick is the biggest asshole in sports. He would give Ty Cobb a run for biggest asshole in sports history.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleysDad View Post

Belichick is the biggest asshole in sports. He would give Ty Cobb a run for biggest asshole in sports history.
He may be an asshole, but he's also a hell of a coach.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Woohoo. The Pack win!

Congratulations to Aaron Rodgers. 1st ever start, first Packers game in about a century not started by Favre, playing against a heated rival with a great defence, at Lambeau Field, on Monday night... You couldn't throw more pressure on a guy in Week 1 if you tried. But he looked very poised, and solid tonight.

It looked like Green Bay was going out of their way to hand the game to Minnesota down the stretch there. Not quite sure how you take a penalty trying to block an extra point that cuts the deficit from 6 down to 5 with under three minutes left? Also, just a horrible time to take a holding penalty while trying to run out the clock, essentially giving Minnesota an extra 40 seconds with the ball... But all's well that ends well.

Here's hoping that Rodgers can keep it going next week in Michigan.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlamingo View Post
Favre has now cemented himself as the greatest the game has ever seen, in my eyes.
?? Cause they beat a team that was 1-15 last year? I don't think this game (or really, this season, barring a Super Bowl appearance) will do anything for Favre's legacy. He's among the best ever, and you can even make an argument that he is the best, but I question your wording here. It makes it seem as if beating up on the Dolphins actually positively impacted his legacy, which I just can't see.

Quote:
On the other hand, look at who the Pats are looking at: Baby Simms?? Are you fucking kidding me??? Tim Rattay???? Please. The solution right now is to make a one year big money offer to Culpepper to reunite with Moss one last time. Then, we could be talking Super Bowl, the whole ten yards.
The justification is that the Pats run a very intricate, complicated offense, and Cassel is their guy because he knows it. They have confidence in him, and they're just bringing someone else in to be a backup. That's why they won't make a big money offer to Daunte (which I agree they should do... I wouldn't put a Super Bowl team in the hands of a guy who hasn't started anywhere since 1999).

Quote:
One last thing: NBC, please FIRE Keith Olbermann from your broadcast booth. The guy knows as much about football as Harvey Fierstein and is a stain on good analysts everywhere...
NBC has the worst studio show in professional sports... it's just too crowded, and Olbermann is the absolute worst person on any studio show.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
On another note... the Vikings are going nowhere with Jackson. I've said it a few times on this board, but watching him again tonight, it's clear that they can't go anywhere. It's a shame they couldn't pull a deal for a real qb.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Cash in that salary they gave Jared Allen and get a goddamn quarterback! Seriously!

And on another note, anyone else notice how Tony K was non-stop making rediculous statements in the first quarter or so of the game, and then was nearly mute there afterwards. It was like he finally listened to himself talk about Favre every 8 seconds and became silenced by embarassment.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRontoRon View Post
Woohoo. The Pack win!

Congratulations to Aaron Rodgers. 1st ever start, first Packers game in about a century not started by Favre, playing against a heated rival with a great defence, at Lambeau Field, on Monday night... You couldn't throw more pressure on a guy in Week 1 if you tried. But he looked very poised, and solid tonight.
I must admit, Aaron Rodgers looked good out there and played well tonight. That TD he threw was simply incredible. There was a hell of a lot of pressure on Rodgers tonight, and he seemed pretty calm and, most importantly, delivered a win for the Packers. However, the Pack almost let the Vikings steal the game away. Who knows what the final result would've been, if not for that interception at the last minute.

I think the Pack will have a fairly easy time taking care of the Lions this week, but they've got a game against the Cowboys the following week, and that certainly won't be an easy game. Looking forward to that one.

In other news, the Broncos are beating the living hell out of the Raiders. It's Q3, 24-0, and there's no point in watching anymore.

Strider

Last edited by Strider; 09-08-2008 at 11:32 PM..
Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Raiders suck!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BRONCOS!!!!! 41-14 lo
Old 09-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Monday thoughts...

Kornheiser still on Monday night?? It's gonna be a long season for Tirico and Jaworski. Why not bump tony tony tony out of there and slide in Ditka? At least he knows what the fuck he's talking about...

Good start for Rodgers, and as for the Vikes, looks like Peterson's the next Barry Sanders (HOF career, but no ring due to having shitty QBs)...

Well the Oakland O-line embarrasses themselves AGAIN on national TV, as Jamarcus looked like the main target in a chicken run with those Denver defenders chasing him around the backfield...
Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Monday night games

1. Impressed by Aaron Rodgers he was really good last night, wasn't impressed by Tavaris Jackson or the Vikings pass defense the Vikings look like the same team as last year.

2. To the experts who actually thought the Raiders could go 8-8 this year there is no way this is going to happen Oakland looked so terrible last night it was a joke an Deangelo Hall took 2 stupid 15 yard penalties in 1 drive Oakland looks worse than last year.

Cutler was very good and really impressive
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
MNF thoughts:

Vikes - The Good: Adrian Peterson, Most of Run Defense, 2nd Half of TJack
(My Team)
The Bad: Pass Defense, 1st half of TJack, Offensive play calling

Packers - The Good: Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Grant(almost 100 yrds), Receivers
Pass Defense
The Bad: Rush defense, almost giving game to Vikes, Al Harris and
his Pass Interference on all coverage - not to mention
Peterson laying his ass out!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:23 PM
As a Dolphin fan (yikes) I gotta say I'm happy.

Looks like we might not be the laughingstock of the league this year (I'm looking at you St Louis and Kansas City)
Old 09-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Monday thoughts...

Kornheiser still on Monday night?? It's gonna be a long season for Tirico and Jaworski. Why not bump tony tony tony out of there and slide in Ditka? At least he knows what the fuck he's talking about...

Good start for Rodgers, and as for the Vikes, looks like Peterson's the next Barry Sanders (HOF career, but no ring due to having shitty QBs)...

Well the Oakland O-line embarrasses themselves AGAIN on national TV, as Jamarcus looked like the main target in a chicken run with those Denver defenders chasing him around the backfield...
Kornheiser is the best part of the monday night team IMO. Ive always been a PTI watcher and I like Tony better than a lot of other commentators. I do agree that Ditka is the man though.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notchreturns View Post
As a Dolphin fan (yikes) I gotta say I'm happy.

Looks like we might not be the laughingstock of the league this year (I'm looking at you St Louis and Kansas City)
Don't forget Cinncinati. In my eyes they rank #31. Right above the Rams.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Is Vince Young going to commit suicide?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3577597