Old 09-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Here's my award picks...

AL MVP-If it weren't for the injury, I would say Carlos Quentin. But I'm going to go against the grain and pick Carlos Pena. He stepped up in a big way when Crawford and Longoria hit the DL.
NL MVP-Ryan Braun...this kid has an incredible future ahead of him.

AL Rookie of the Year-Alexei Ramirez is making a late push, but I've got to go with Longoria.
NL Rookie of the Year-Soto...no-brainer.

AL Cy Young-Cliff Lee.
NL Cy Young-Lincecum...it's not his fault that the Giants are miserable.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, the White Sox pulled it off. Close game the whole way through. Although I could really care less, I'm kind of glad the White Sox won, because Minnesota is boring as shit to watch.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Well, the White Sox pulled it off. Close game the whole way through. Although I could really care less, I'm kind of glad the White Sox won, because Minnesota is boring as shit to watch.

Carlos Quentin for World Series MVP

when they reach of course.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post

MVP - Grady Sizemore - will be way off
And if the Indians didn't stink it up like they did, Grady would certainly be in the discussion since he clearly had his best year yet, when you look at his numbers.

Though I also like Quentin as AL MVP, I'm thinking that Boston's runty second baseman - and fellow ASU alum - Dustin Pedroia will get it. A lot of what this kid does for Boston doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

NL MVP is a bit dicey. I think Manny, in spite of how he landed in LA, deserves to be at least considered. It's hard imagining that team - even with Torre - being where they are now (even in the shitty NL West). And Ryan Howard shouldn't be overlooked either. And Ryan Braun too...so I dunno.

AL Cy Young - Cliff Lee seems like the logical choice, but I like K-Rod for this one.

NL Cy Young - I'm going with another trade deadline mover in Sabathia.

And anyone else thinking that the Chi Sox could ride a Rockies'-like wave of momentum into the World Series after these two vital wins?

Nah, me neither.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Boring, because they don't hit a lotta HRs?

I dunno...the Twins have been one of this season's great surprises to watch for me. Gardenhire deserves much, much consideration for Manager of the Year. You're not supposed to lose two key franchise players in an offseason and still compete right down to the wire.

Ozzie's a helluva lot more fun to watch than Gardenhire is, I'll give you that much.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:05 PM
i don't understand how the Twins are boring as shit to watch? They have a lot of underrated players who play hard, and a no-name rotation that pitched their fuckin hearts out, not to mention they have the best Catcher in the game (who won the batting title) and a former AL MVP Justin Morneau, definately not a boring team at all if you actually enjoy watching the game.

What i don't enjoy is that fuckstick AJ Pierszynski showing Cuddyer the ball after he got run over, what's this cocksucker's purpose for doing that?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiefatsacks View Post
i don't understand how the Twins are boring as shit to watch? They have a lot of underrated players who play hard, and a no-name rotation that pitched their fuckin hearts out, not to mention they have the best Catcher in the game (who won the batting title) and a former AL MVP Justin Morneau, definately not a boring team at all if you actually enjoy watching the game.

What i don't enjoy is that fuckstick AJ Pierszynski showing Cuddyer the ball after he got run over, what's this cocksucker's purpose for doing that?
One of the many reasons some of us refer to him as A-Hole Pierzynski.

Bourne must be one of those people also who thinks soccer is boring purely because of the lack of goals. Considering the Twins were one of the top run-producing teams in the Majors this year (WITHOUT all those loads of HR's), I'm not sure how they could be called boring. If it weren't for our bullpen blowing far more leads than they should have this year, we wouldn't have even had to play that 1-game playoff.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Quote:

He did it because Cuddyer plowed his ass over and A.J. still made the play. A.J. rocks. I love his win-at-all costs attitude.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 PM

The excitement is killing me. I'm disappointed because the game starts at 3. What kind of bullshit is that! These should be night games dammit! I have to work and won't be able to tune in but luckily chasingbanky has offered to write up a recap for me afterward. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenkiller View Post
The excitement is killing me. I'm disappointed because the game starts at 3. What kind of bullshit is that! These should be night games dammit! I have to work and won't be able to tune in but luckily chasingbanky has offered to write up a recap for me afterward. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Word brotha, had to force myself to wake up at this early (11 a.m.) hour... Go Phills!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I think that A.J. was just making sure that Cuddyer was out. He was going to tag him until the umpire made the call.

Is it just me or did the White Sox celebrate a little too much? They acted like they won the World Series. It was an incredible win and an incredible game, but jeez.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
I think that A.J. was just making sure that Cuddyer was out. He was going to tag him until the umpire made the call.

Is it just me or did the White Sox celebrate a little too much? They acted like they won the World Series. It was an incredible win and an incredible game, but jeez.
Compared to the Red Sox, who clinched with a week left, this celebration was tame. As Papelbon put it... "I love Champagne!!! WOO!!!"
Old 10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHenchman View Post
Boring, because they don't hit a lotta HRs?

I dunno...the Twins have been one of this season's great surprises to watch for me. Gardenhire deserves much, much consideration for Manager of the Year. You're not supposed to lose two key franchise players in an offseason and still compete right down to the wire.

Ozzie's a helluva lot more fun to watch than Gardenhire is, I'll give you that much.
Don't get me wrong, the Twins are a very good team, who have been very consistent over the years. I may have been a bit harsh out of the gate calling them "boring as shit". A better way to say it would be that they are not one of my favorite teams to watch. They play their asses off and do what they have to do to get the job done. It's not because they don't hit a lot of home runs, as some of the most exciting teams in baseball aren't big home run teams (look at the 2007 Indians, I don't know how many HRs they hit, but that certainly isn't what I remember them for). Minnesota just doesn't have the flare of some other teams. I have a package where every game is on every night, when I'm not watching the Yankees I like to watch other teams play. When I'm going through the channels to see which game I would like to watch, Minnesota isn't exactly the team I want to watch. They're kind of like watching the San Antonio Spurs. A very fundamentally sound team, a very good team with a great coaching staff, but at the end of the day, they're not the most exciting team to watch.

Quote:
I enjoy watching the game. I watched all 162 Yankee games this season. Yes, all 162. It was painful sometimes, but I love watching the game so much that I stuck it out for all 162 games. Not to mention several other games which I watched when the Yankees weren't playing. So don't question that because I enjoy the hell out of watching baseball games and have for many years. Again, Minnesota is a good team, they have very good players, and are a severely underrated team. But when every day you watch a baseball game, that takes 3 hours or more of your day. If I'm going to watch another game, I'd rather watch some teams with a little flare, a little swagger, like the Angels, Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs, and last year the Indians were particularly exciting to watch. The 10 or so games I see the Twins play each year is enough to realize how good they are, know that they have an excellent coaching staff, and that they are a very fundamentally sound team. But they're just not a team I'm going to devote an extra 3 hours a day to on top of the 3 hours I've already spent watching the Yankees.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Not to be a dick to anyone here, but the Yankees are not in the playoffs - let's take a break from always talking about them......just a thought.

Sorry, I am from middle America and that is all you here from all different areas, "The Yanks..." Fuck this shit.

The White Sox and Cubs made the same postseason for the first time since 1906 - yeah Chicago, fuck New York!!!!

I bet ESPN shit themselves because there cannot be a Yanks/Sawx series. 2 Chicago teams, 2 LA teams and 0 NY teams!!!!!

Fuck Yeah!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:21 AM
Bourne i understand, I guess you just chose your words improperly, plus i am a sucker for small market teams, they play harder and i enjoy watching that.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by veddhead83 View Post
Not to be a dick to anyone here, but the Yankees are not in the playoffs - let's take a break from always talking about them......just a thought.

Sorry, I am from middle America and that is all you here from all different areas, "The Yanks..." Fuck this shit.

The White Sox and Cubs made the same postseason for the first time since 1906 - yeah Chicago, fuck New York!!!!

I bet ESPN shit themselves because there cannot be a Yanks/Sawx series. 2 Chicago teams, 2 LA teams and 0 NY teams!!!!!

Fuck Yeah!!!!!!!!
Yeah. I hear ya. I always feel guilty about bringing up the Yanks or chiming in on convos about them, since they do get so much attention in the media and elsewhere. It is weird that it's October and it's the first round and the only way to spot Jeter right now is in a razor ad. Heh. Unless there's a monumental front office move, I think Yankee chatter's going to quiet down a bit. (Speaking of, smart move in keeping Cashman around.)

But it's kinda good for the MLB that they're not in it this year - the Yanks - because there have been some great stories elsewhere in the league and they're panning out now in October (Rays, Cubs, Angels...).

That all said, I still see a Yankee subplot of sorts stirring in this postseason, in that I'd like to see Torre and L.A. go all the way (nothing against the Cubs, Phils, or Brewers).

As perverse as that might be - a Yankee fan cheering on the Dodgers.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Quote:
When I'm going through the channels to see which game I would like to watch, Minnesota isn't exactly the team I want to watch. They're kind of like watching the San Antonio Spurs. A very fundamentally sound team, a very good team with a great coaching staff, but at the end of the day, they're not the most exciting team to watch.
Well, gosh, when you put it like that, I certainly understand where you're coming from - even though I personally appreciate and enjoy watching that sort of stuff with them and the Spurs (well not so much with the Spurs in June when they're usually making the Suns their bitch).
Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 PM
CC Sabathia is not meant for the playoffs.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:05 PM

With Sabathia pitching on three days rest for the fourth time in a row (I think) I wasn't even worried much. It seemed predictable that he was finally going to implode. Big congratulations to Victorino for hitting the grand slam too. First in Phillies post season history. I had to miss the first two games but I'm excited for Saturday. Maybe it's the Phillies turn to pull out the broom... Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:48 PM
sooo, phillies vs dodgers...?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 AM
So how much will the Yankee$ offer C.C. to pitch during the season and then sit out the playoffs?

I guess the Cubs just aren't meant to win another World Series...ever.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Ha! Up 2-0 heading back to LA? I won't go so far as to say it's a lock, because that would jinx it, but I am in a good mood. I could have my leg amputated today and I'd still at least know the Cubs have lost two in a row at home to start the NLDS. I hate that team. Go Dodgers.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Hmmm... I must say I'm pretty surprised at how the Dodgers have manhandled the Cubs so far. In fact they have me pretty worried now. More worried than I was a few days ago. At any rate it seems that history is not favoring the NL Central teams... Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
Ha! Up 2-0 heading back to LA? I won't go so far as to say it's a lock, because that would jinx it, but I am in a good mood. I could have my leg amputated today and I'd still at least know the Cubs have lost two in a row at home to start the NLDS. I hate that team. Go Dodgers.
May I ask you why you hate the Cubs so much? It's not like they win a championship year after year.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Go Rays! I hope that the Rays square off against the Red Sox. It will be golden.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastahamsta View Post
May I ask you why you hate the Cubs so much? It's not like they win a championship year after year.

Main response is that I'm a diehard St. Louis Cardinals fan. The rivalry between the two teams being what it is, has fueled that. I love Wrigley, the ivy, the history but I also love seeing them fail.

Don't get me wrong, I feel badly for the Cubs fans, but not enough for me to cheer the team on.

Also, I dislike how the media from the start of the season was asking "is this the year?" because it's the 100th anniversary. Fishing for a story, the team was overexposed. Of course the Cubs still got less press than the Yankees who are conversely out of the playoff picture.

Love the Cards, hate the Cubs. That's really all you have to know.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
Main response is that I'm a diehard St. Louis Cardinals fan. The rivalry between the two teams being what it is, has fueled that. I love Wrigley, the ivy, the history but I also love seeing them fail.

Don't get me wrong, I feel badly for the Cubs fans, but not enough for me to cheer the team on.

Also, I dislike how the media from the start of the season was asking "is this the year?" because it's the 100th anniversary. Fishing for a story, the team was overexposed. Of course the Cubs still got less press than the Yankees who are conversely out of the playoff picture.

Love the Cards, hate the Cubs. That's really all you have to know.
Oh Ok. I didn't know you were a Cards fan. I thought you were like a fan of the dodgers and hated the Cubs for some reason. I get you now though. GO CUBSSSSS!!!!!! Hopefully they can beat the Los Angeles Ramirez's
Old 10-04-2008, 02:54 AM

Damn. All four losing teams are on the verge of getting swept. The Angels did a good job of slowly evening out an early defecit but then quickly gave back the lead in the ninth. I was hoping they would knock out Boston but it seems pretty unlikely now. Looks like it will probably be left up to Tampa Bay. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
I get the feeling that it will be a Dodgers/Red Sox World Series. That would be fucking sweet.

K-Rod completely blew it last night. Once LA tied the game, it should have been in the bag. LA really knows how to choke when it comes to the playoffs. Weren't they undefeated this year against the Red Sox, or close to it? I know, the playoffs are a different story, but still.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-04-2008 at 09:43 AM..
Old 10-04-2008, 11:30 AM
The Sox are healthier now than they were all year. Ortiz is back, JD Drew's back seems to be better, and Beckett should be 100 percent for his Sunday start. The postseason experience of the Sox can't be overlooked either.

look.. I love Manny.. he's been one of my favorite players for a long time, and will be forever.. but Jason Bay has been better than I had hoped. If we take into account the negative effect of Manny in the clubhouse this last year, and his lousy fielding, Jason Bay has more than filled his shoes.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I have a gut feeling that Boston will win the World Series. The Rays have proven that they are capable of toppling Boston, but I don't know. I think we're seeing a dynasty unfold. Plus, none of the NL teams pose a serious threat.

Jerry Manuel will be returning as manager of the Mets. He'll fare well. The team's collapse was out of his hands, so I could see them making the postseason next year. They need to acquire the right talent in the offseason, though. In addition to relief, they need one more big bat. Delgado isn't going to hit 30 homeruns again, and Carlos Beltran is an intermittent power hitter.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:49 PM

Well it's official. The Phillies will start the NLCS against the Dodgers on Thursday. Joe Blanton surprised me today with his quality start and though there has been a love/hate relationship between the fans and Pat Burell there is no denying that he came through big time today with two homers totaling four RBI's. Los Angeles has me worried but I'm definitely looking forward to our first NLCS in fifteen years. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 PM
So it's come to this: Go Phillies! : /
Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Wow, the Red Sox just own the Angels in the playoffs. The Angels were a far better team this year, but Boston just beats them in the postseason, always.

The Rays series should be a good one.

Go Sox!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Call me old-fashioned, but these first-round celebrations have been way too friggin' jubilant. The Rays and the Dodgers with their younger players having their first postseason series wins, okay, leeway granted. But the Sox - as they say - have been there before. They should act like it.

And this may or may not be rooted in my Yankee bias, or in more of my old-fashionedness, but I'm thinking the less we hear from the mouth of Papelbon, the better. He opens his yap, the nonsense spews out, and I can't help but think of that line from Bull Durham. Damn good closer, but there's no nice way of saying this: he's an idiot.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:16 AM

I was hoping the Angels would get the job done tonight. Partly because I don't want Boston to advance because they already have had two World Series championships lately but also because they are the team I am most terrified of. Unfortunately I just don't see anyone stopping them this year. Sure anything can happen against the Rays but the Phillies and Dodgers just don't pose any serious threat to either of the overwhelming AL teams. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Angels had ample opportunity, but just couldn't get it done. If they had broken the tie, the series would be a toss-up. But they simply do not have what it takes to get past the Sox in the playoffs. I really could care less, and I'm actually kind of hoping it is Dodgers vs. Sox in the World Series. That would be a showdown, and wouldn't be an automatic AL win.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:00 AM

Too bad the Rays couldn't do jack shit last night. Boston will continue to steamroll through the competition. Luckily the Phillies were able to take the first two games from the Dodgers. That was imperative since we now have to go on the road and neither of these two teams has yet to defeat the other at home this season. Looks like we could potentially have a rematch of the 1915 World Series where Boston beat Philadelphia four games to one. I'm guessing the same thing would happen again. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm a little surprised that the Dodgers lost the first two games. I'm not surprised that the Rays were frozen by Dice-K (my new pick for AL Cy Young) last night. I'm still rooting for the Rays, but I can see Boston winning the whole thing. They're too goddamn good.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM

Rough outing for Philadelphia last night. Moyer crumbled again allowing six runs in just an inning and a third when he had to be pulled. Crazy how someone so consistent and experienced in the regular season has become so dangerous for us now. I don't like all the bean ball being played amongst the teams and I hope it stops. Luckily nobody got ejected from that bench clearing incident last night but things could have easily gotten out of hand. Now the pressure is really on Blanton to deliver a solid start otherwise the two game lead Philadelphia had will be nullified. I'm almost too scared to watch... Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.