Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarfather
I'm sorry, but Kubrick gave his writers solid lines to work with, NOBODY could give a great performance with the prequel scripts, it is existentially impossible.
I couldnt even listen to some of the lines without cracking up, id hate to have to be the one reading them.

I give her a free pass on those movies.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Dud
Indeed.

I must prepare for the war against all those who fail to recognize my girl's brilliance!

*joins Crazy Dud*

though...correction: MY girl's brilliance
Old 09-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Whose overrating her? Are we talking the HSX here? Oh wait, I totally forgot about that Zagat rating, forget I said anything,
Old 10-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Natalie's shining moment . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsKblciD7U0

Old 09-27-2008, 08:01 PM
She is one of the top young American actresses out there. More so because of the roles that are offered to her first. Is she as good as Kate Winslet? No. Does she have as much range as a young Angelica Huston, Toni Collette, Meryl Streep... not yet at least.

Unfortunately her small size, lack of voice range, and beauty ... is somewhat of a hinderance for certain roles. Her performance in V for Vendetta, The other Boleyn Girl, and Closer I found overrated, but Leon was fantastic!

I'm interested if she'll be able to pull off more interesting roles...
Old 10-01-2008, 08:22 AM
One of the few actresses in Hollywood that I actually like. I loved how she puts her education before her career. Not to mention that this little lady is very smart (that is a dime a dozen in Hollywood.) Sure, I'm not that big a fan of her movies, however I loved her in V For Vendetta and The Professional. She was horrible in the Star Wars prequels, but that was not her fault, the blame should all settle on George Luca's mediocre screenwriting.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:32 PM
She has an attractive face, but she has the body of a 10 year old boy.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 AM
She alright looking, I mean she's not the most beautiful girl i've ever seen. Personality wise, she seems very sweet. As for acting, I don't know how she got so many big roles, and is likely to get big roles in the future. Her talents seem suited to romcoms, nothing more. She must have sucked her way to the top. At least its better than Elizabeth Banks, who sucked her way to the half way house of Hollywood success.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 AM

She is a terrible actress. I don't care what anyone thinks of me for saying so. Shes flat on every delivery and when she isn't it's painfully over reactive.

The younglings line in Episode 3 was the worst acting out of any Star Wars film, bar none. Worse than anything Hayden or Jake Loyyd ever did. I don't care if the its bad writing, Carrie Fischer acted her way out of terrible writing.

As a person, shes also comes off as a bit vain too. I just never liker her...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Overrated? Oh god no! underrated.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes. Overrated as an actress, but more so as a "sex symbol".
Old 11-04-2008, 01:00 AM
She's a great actress, it's such a pity most people think of her and star wars...any other work she's done shows how great she can be. But as for her looks, i think i'm one of the few who find her very, very average (not a bad thing, but people rave on about her looks so much, i just don't see what's so special).
Old 11-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post
She has an attractive face, but she has the body of a 10 year old boy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
She is a terrible actress. I don't care what anyone thinks of me for saying so. Shes flat on every delivery and when she isn't it's painfully over reactive.

The younglings line in Episode 3 was the worst acting out of any Star Wars film, bar none. Worse than anything Hayden or Jake Loyyd ever did. I don't care if the its bad writing, Carrie Fischer acted her way out of terrible writing.

Man, the hate here is over excessive and undeserving.

I like Natalie Portman. She at least has talent and doesn't annoy the Hell out of me.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rilocay View Post
She's a great actress, it's such a pity most people think of her and star wars...any other work she's done shows how great she can be. But as for her looks, i think i'm one of the few who find her very, very average (not a bad thing, but people rave on about her looks so much, i just don't see what's so special).
I agree with you on her looks. People always say celebrities are so hot. If they were never celebrities and were seen on the street they would just be considered just ok looking. Being a celebrity changes peoples opinions on them and they are considered very pretty when they aren't at all.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_Darko View Post
Yes. Overrated as an actress, but more so as a "sex symbol".

*punch*
Old 09-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Underrated, actually. She is indeed one of the top young actresses out there, but needs to find her way into better films.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Not overrated. She's maintained a low profile and some good performances since being in the SW prequels. Smart girl and talented, too. And beautiful to boot.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Overrated in the looks department.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I think her performances speak for themselves. Garden State she was brilliant opposite Zac Braff. Then her performances in V for Vendetta and Closer were also very good roles portrayed by Natalie. Finally in my opinion her acting in The Other Bolelyn Girl was brilliant.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:53 AM
Wow! This thread still exists?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post

*Force chokes APzombie*

this woman is smarter than you will ever be, not to mention beautiful, and extremely talented. they dont just handle Golden Globe Awards you know?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Whoever started this thread. ::facepalm::
Old 12-19-2010, 12:49 PM
I think it's safe to say Natalie had her greatest performance in Black Swan, she was brilliant. I actually re watched Leon last night, and she was amazing at 12 in that...I think as long as she takes some serious roles, not the cheesy comedic romances we will see her true talent
Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Natalie Portman overrated?, as an actress... not really, as a "sex symbol"... definitely yes.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondeyes View Post
Whoever started this thread. ::facepalm::
Ninja please. This is probably one of my most successful thread to date in terms of responses.

In 2007 she was overrated. Black Swan is her best performance. Before that it was Leon.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:03 AM
She's classically beautiful, fiercely intelligent, seemingly very grounded and comes across as genuine, warm, opinionated and sharp in interviews.

She's also a gifted actess...granted she hasn't always chosen the 'right' projects.

I think she's a fantastic young girl and a great role model too.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Bland is what comes to mind when i think of Portman. I haven't seen BS yet so that may change but nothing i have seen her in so far makes me believe she's brilliant.

I don't know, i personally don't think she has that aura, that gravitas, most of the time she's just serviceable as if she can be easily replaced with any other cute actress in any role she has done without a drop in quality.

I did think she was effective in Leon and Closer ( most people do look good playing off of Reno or Owen ) but once again, i feel you could have replaced her with anyone else and it wouldn't have made a difference.

I don't think she elevates the material, she gets the job done as you would expect any competent actor .
Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Pros:
-Good actress with range
-Ridiculously gorgeous and hot as all hell

Cons:
-The Star Wars prequels, 'nuff said.

I love Natalie Portman.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I think shes great and really pretty. I think she did better in V for Vendetta than Black Swan though... Kinda overrated now that i think of it.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:41 AM
I don't know how you cannot like her. She comes off as someone who doesn't take herself seriously, seems grounded and does her job without tabloid incident. Along with this she can do drama and comedy, indie and big budget yet can still maintain integrity few actors can get away with that nowadays. Can she still be like that having 4 movies in a span of 5 months, and not reach overkill? That remains to be seen. As for overrated, nonsense.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 AM
I think Natalie Portman is a great actress and she's cute. More of a girl next door. Do I think she's sexy? Sure. Hot? eh. She's more cute and pretty than sexy and hot
Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
Bland is what comes to mind when i think of Portman. I haven't seen BS yet so that may change but nothing i have seen her in so far makes me believe she's brilliant.
I can see where you are coming from. She hasn't done anything WOW, but I did see Black Swan and that, imo, is her WOW movie. She is really good in it.

But I'd like to see her in something where she is a bad guy, or a bitch, or just not sweet as pie like she always is. I didn't see V, so she might of been in that, but I don't plan on seeing it. So something new where she is a little bit devilish and not so likeable might be a good change for her.