Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Nim's Island

Nim's Island

Director: Jennifer Flackett and Mark Levin
Writer: Joseph Kwong and Paula Mazur
Staring: Abigail Breslin, Jodie Foster, Gerard Butler

I watched this movie last night with my wife and we were entertained. Nim's Island is a very cute Disney movie. Probably best for girls ages 10-14.

Abigal Breslin plays Nim and she is just so cute. Perfect enthusiasm for this role. Jodie Foster plays a crazy person who does not leave her home and a germ-a-phob, who travels all the way to literally the middle of no where to find the secret island where Nim lives. This is really a nothing role for her. I guess she owed Disney a favor. Gerard Bulter plays two roles. One is the imaginary fictional character called Alex Rover and the other is Nim's marine biologist dad. His enthusiasm carried the movie for me as an adult.

If you watch the trailer you basically see the movie. This is just a very light hearted film of Nim and her pets. There is plenty that could be said about the modern world and raising a child and eating, but if one just keeps in mind that this is just a movie all can be forgvien. Just a very cute and easy going movie that is perfect for kids (mainly girls) 10-14 before they lose their innocence. Much better than a Freaky Friday with Lindsay Lohan. Not nearly the classics of say a Candleshoe or original Freaky Friday that Disney used to make. I am surprised we have not seen more remakes of these great movies.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
This movie was pretty bad. I really enjoy a good kids film every now and then, and I was actually looking forward to watching this when I rented it. I just felt that the performances were a bit forced, and the conflict was pointless because as soon as Jodie Foster came to the rescue, Nim's father came back like 5 seconds later. I don't know, it just didn't work for me.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
This movie was pretty bad. I really enjoy a good kids film every now and then, and I was actually looking forward to watching this when I rented it. I just felt that the performances were a bit forced, and the conflict was pointless because as soon as Jodie Foster came to the rescue, Nim's father came back like 5 seconds later. I don't know, it just didn't work for me.
It's the journey not the destination.

I forgot to grade it.

For adults 5/10 I liked the animals.
Teens 10-14 7/10
Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Wasn't expecting much but this ended up being one of this year's biggest surprises and one of the most enjoyable family movies of the year. Jodie Foster, Gerard Butler and especially Abigail Breslin are all fantastic in the movie.

7/10