Old 12-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 View Post
We'll leave guys like that to the Cowboys and Bengals, the real screw ups of the league
We may have screwed up sundays game, but there are teams littered with plenty of worse people on their roster than the Cowboys. All of that nonsense is just overblown media crap.

You get alot of that when youre Americas team.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDJx View Post
I still have this feeling that if the falcons win the next 4 games they keep the cowboys out of the playoffs
I don't think Dallas is going to make it anyways I don't think they beat the Giants, the Ravens look good and depending on where the Eagles are they might beat them.

Dallas for the past several years in December has been brutal and that loss is on both Romo and Witten, Romo in big games just comes up flat.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
I don't think Dallas is going to make it anyways I don't think they beat the Giants, the Ravens look good and depending on where the Eagles are they might beat them.

Dallas for the past several years in December has been brutal and that loss is on both Romo and Witten, Romo in big games just comes up flat.
From where I was sitting, youre right. But an even bigger part of that was the coaching.

The offense took their foot off the gas with 10 minutes left, and the defense went into prevent and allowed 10 points in one quarter vs 6 for the other 3. The Steelers defense came out and admitted they knew EXACTLY what play our offensive coordinator had drawn up and ran a play to pick it off.

Its not good coaching when the other team knows what youre doing.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Romo had a tough time against a really strong blitz. 2 of the 3 picks weren't necessarily his fault. It was a good game to watch as an NFL fan
Old 12-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Phew! Falcons almost gave that one away, but pulled it out in overtime. And are now guaranteed a winning season and are still in the playoff hunt.

GO FALCONS!!!!
Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Phew! Falcons almost gave that one away, but pulled it out in overtime. And are now guaranteed a winning season and are still in the playoff hunt.

GO FALCONS!!!!
Michael Turner MVP?

I know I was saying a couple weeks ago that Ryan would have to get consideration if the Falcons win their division, but Turner is blowing my mind. Obviously, before MVP talk can really begin, the season has to be over, but Turner has to be on the short list of candidates, right?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Michael Turner MVP?

I know I was saying a couple weeks ago that Ryan would have to get consideration if the Falcons win their division, but Turner is blowing my mind. Obviously, before MVP talk can really begin, the season has to be over, but Turner has to be on the short list of candidates, right?
He's on one of ESPN.com's analyst's lists.

Hell, he's got my vote.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Thank god J.P. Losman sucks, or else the Jets could've kissed the playoffs goodbye.

I hope they don't lose to Seattle this weekend. Is it that hard to win on the west coast?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM
My MVP mentions would have to be Steve Smith and Adrian Peterson. The Panthers finally have an identity. As of right now, they're better than the Giants and the Titans.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:03 PM
My MVP is Demarcus Ware - 19 sacks with two games to go and it's likely he'll beat out gaptooth's record.

In addition, all but 3 of his 19 sacks were on 1st and 10, putting the opposing team in a bad position from the start of the drive.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:22 AM
Adieu to the Irving Bowl, which came to a fitting end last night with a Dallas loss. Here's hoping that Staubach and Irvin are inside when it's imploded.

God, I hate having to root for a team with Ray Lewis on it
Quote:
They had the stats on that on the broadcast. They have a losing December record for something on the order of ten straight years. The current record is held by the Saints who did that from '67 to '77. For anybody who doesn't remember, they were legendarily bad at that time. It took them about 20 years to record their first winning season after they first came into the league. Just astoundingly awful, even with Archie Manning at QB.

Not the kind of record Dallas fans are used to seeing.

Tee hee.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Holy crap . . . the Falcons are going to the playoffs!!!

WOOHOO!!!

Hell, I only predicted a 4-win season, but this is more than even I dreamed of after last year. Congrats to my boys!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Holy crap . . . the Falcons are going to the playoffs!!!

WOOHOO!!!

Hell, I only predicted a 4-win season, but this is more than even I dreamed of after last year. Congrats to my boys!!!
Imust say i'm impressed a rookie coach with a rookie QB who is already one of the top 10 QBs in the league is incredible, them and Baltimore should be commended as well a rookie head coach and a rookie QB qho has grown quite a bit this year.

I just wonder it would be pretty strange if New England goes 11-5 and not make the playoffs, it possible I don't see Miami or Baltimore losing next week and they need either one to lose at least.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Giants home field in the playoffs
Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Quote:
I just wonder it would be pretty strange if New England goes 11-5 and not make the playoffs, it possible I don't see Miami or Baltimore losing next week and they need either one to lose at least.
I think the Dolphins will finally win the AFC East this week. I watched the highlights for the Jets/Seahawks game, and the Jets looked awful. It's fucking unbelievable, after two great back-to-back victories against the Patriots and Titans, how they dropped the ball. They couldn't beat the Seahawks or the 49ers, and even though this Sunday's game is on their home turf, I doubt they'll be able to beat the Dolphins. Even if they win, they need a lot of help, right? I really hope the Dolphins get the playoff spot, because the Jets deserve to go to the Playoffs as much as the Cardinals (they're looking pretty terrible, by the way; home game or no home game, their opponent will eliminate them in the first round) and I fucking despise the Patriots.

Last night's SNF game was great. One of the best football games I've seen this year. The Giants finally won a game after their short slump. They've got the #1 seed and homefield advantage. Good for them.

I'd also like to point out how wretched the AFC West is. Of all the teams in that division, the Broncos are the most pathetic. You know why? Because they've had numerous opportunities to win the division, and they let it slip through their fingers, and now the Chargers have a chance this Sunday night to pull off their sneak attack and clinch the division. I'm no Chargers fan, but I'll be cheering them on, because the Broncos have really pissed me off. And I'm not a Broncos fan either! Can you imagine how pissed off their real fans are?

Congrats to Atlanta Falcons! They're easily the story of this year's NFL season. I never saw this coming.

And could someone explain to me what needs to happen this week for the Cowboys to miss the Playoffs? I really, really, really don't want them in the Playoffs.

Detroit Lions = 0-16. Get ready, everyone. It's going to happen.

Strider

Last edited by Strider; 12-22-2008 at 06:36 AM..
Old 12-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
and even though this Sunday's game is on their home turf, I doubt they'll be able to beat the Dolphins. Even if they win, they need a lot of help, right?
They need to win and hope Buffalo beats New England it's the only way they get in and the New England game is a 1:00 game and the Jets-Dolphins game is a 4:00 game I believe so the Jets will know their fate by the time their game starts

and if New England wins and your the Jets to choose between New England and Miami as which team to go to the playoffs wow.

And I'm so glad Denver lost to Buffalo it's sets up Denver-San Diego for the division in the final week the way it should be the way the first game went was bullshit.

Here's the playoff picture for those unsure of everything

AFC
1. Tennessee (13-2) Clinched 1st
2. Pittsburgh (11-4) Clinched 2nd
3. Miami Dolphins (10-5) Can clinch division with a win over the Jets,
4. Denver Broncos (8-7) Winner between them and San Diego wins AFC West
5. Indianapolis Colts (11-4) Clinched 5th
6. Baltimore Ravens (10-5) Can clinch playoff spot with a win over Jacksonville next week or a New England loss

Still alive
New England Patriots - Can clinch division with a win or a Miami loss, or can clinch a wild card spot with a win and a Baltimore loss

New York Jets - Can Clinch division with a win and a New England loss

NFC
1. New York Giants (12-3) Clinched 1st
2. Carolina Panthers (11-4) Can clinch 2nd with a win or a Atlanta loss
3. Minnesota Vikings (9-6) Can clinch 3rd if the Bears lose tonight
4. Arizona Cardinals (8-7) Cinched 4th a long time ago
5. Atlanta Falcons (10-5) Can clinch 2nd with a win and a Carolina loss
6. Dallas Cowboys (9-6) Can clinch wild card with a win over Philadelphia next week

Still Alive
Tampa Bay - Need to win and Dallas needs to lose
Philadelphia - Need to win and Tampa Bay needs to lose
Chicago - needs to win both their games and Minnesota needs to lose next week

That means Dallas can still get in thanks to Tampa Bay folding in December again.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Fuck! Well, at least the Panthers weren't embarrassed. They played their heart out. Great game.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:05 PM
The parody in the league this year was over the top and annoying. Impossible to win bets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still love the NFL though.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:28 AM
It's parity, and it's always one of the NFL's biggest themes, and the reason sports books make money...

Also... NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS YOUR DEFENDING CHAMPIONS, and now #1 seed in this year's playoffs. Gotta love it. E(Truth)li Manning has thrown for 3000 yards for the 4th straight season, 1st Giant ever.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
The parody in the league this year was over the top and annoying. Impossible to win bets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still love the NFL though.
Seriuosly... Kerry Collins is the qb of a 13 win team. That's the perfect microcosm for the ridiculous season. I'm loving it, though.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Until 4:00 on Sunday, I am a Buffalo Bills fan. Go Bills! Make Boston sad!

Than i'll resume being a Jets fan, and be depressed when Pennington has his revenge game. I can't believe how they've choked the past few weeks.

Then again, the NFL has been crazy all season, so maybe a miracle will happen. Maybe. Please?
Old 12-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Quote:
I think the Dolphins will finally win the AFC East this week.Strider
I'll believe it when I see it. I want it to happen, but as I've been a Dolphins fan for about 15 years now, I know better than to get my hopes up. I still have nightmares about Marino's last game (62-7 playoff loss to Jacksonville). It's a cold-weather game in New York so the odds are immediately against them. But more than anything, I want to see Pennington stick it to his old team. He doesn't have the strongest arm, I get that but the Jets fans were too hard on him. But other than Philly fans of any sport, Jets fans have always been douches when push comes to shove (generalization, not applicable to all).

I will be watching the game alone in the dark with the door locked so I can stew in my misery...let's hope it ends better than I anticipate. This whole season could just end up being one giant cock-tease.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke2342 View Post
King of Kings! That's who it was! Saying that I was crazy for talking about the Redskins making a push for the playoffs.. and how "you've proven me wrong and you'll do it again"

Still feel that way buddy?

Not to toot my own horn but... told you so All in good fun of course.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
Not to toot my own horn but... told you so All in good fun of course.
Of course, you did say the Falcons wouldn't win one game this year.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Quote:

Ha yeah really... Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Quote:

Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. I want it to happen, but as I've been a Dolphins fan for about 15 years now, I know better than to get my hopes up. I still have nightmares about Marino's last game (62-7 playoff loss to Jacksonville). It's a cold-weather game in New York so the odds are immediately against them. But more than anything, I want to see Pennington stick it to his old team. He doesn't have the strongest arm, I get that but the Jets fans were too hard on him. But other than Philly fans of any sport, Jets fans have always been douches when push comes to shove (generalization, not applicable to all).

I will be watching the game alone in the dark with the door locked so I can stew in my misery...let's hope it ends better than I anticipate. This whole season could just end up being one giant cock-tease.
The Jets are 5-2 at home, and the Dolphins are 5-2 on the road and on a hot 4-game winning streak. Plus, as of right now, Pennington is playing a hell of a lot better than Brett Favre, who's been looking pretty miserable lately. And it may be a cold-weather game, but that should have zero effect on Pennington, who played in that same stadium for quite some time.

I think there's a good chance the Dolphins will win the game and go to the Playoffs.

Strider
Old 12-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Quote:
The Jets are 5-2 at home, and the Dolphins are 5-2 on the road and on a hot 4-game winning streak. Plus, as of right now, Pennington is playing a hell of a lot better than Brett Favre, who's been looking pretty miserable lately. And it may be a cold-weather game, but that should have zero effect on Pennington, who played in that same stadium for quite some time.

I think there's a good chance the Dolphins will win the game and go to the Playoffs.

Strider
I want it to be true, boy do I ever. But I can't expect it or even think it will happen because it's a disappointment I don't want to go through...even though I will any way if they lose. I'm just trying to dull the pain.

ESPN is even drumming it up big time as a redemption game for Chad Pennington...great, more spotlight and more pressure. I'm nervous Strider, this team has very rarely given me anything to be excited about so this is new territory for me.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Rest assured, the Dolphins will win on Sunday. This is coming from a Jets fan, too.

The Jets have played like a team that's out of gas. They peaked a few weeks ago, teams have figured them out, and they haven't adjusted. Their once dominant run defense is starting to fade, their secondary suuuuuuuucks (it's gonna be a good day to be a Dolphins receiver), and Favre's age is starting to catch up with him. Compared with the Dolphins, who are on a hot streak, we look vastly inferior right now.

Granted, anything could happen. But, luck is on the Fish's side right now.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:45 PM
I never thought I'd say this but go SAINTS!!!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:40 PM
YES!

They did it! They freaking did it! What a season. Sure the Dolphins had a pudding-soft schedule but the team was innovative and resilient. I can't believe the turnaround. Where's CunningVisions? We need to celebrate.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:52 PM
so, did Wade Phillips forget to mention in his locker room speech that they were in a "win-and-you're-in" situation? That was probably the least motivated team I've seen (that had something to play for). I know they said that Phillips' job wasn't in danger, but after this, don't you HAVE to fire him?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:36 PM

Collapse complete. No playoffs. 3rd in AFC East after being in first for several weeks. Pennington returning to his old stomping grounds and shaming his former team. Fitting.

So, the Jets could potentially be without a QB, Mangini's future is in question, and they face the NFC and AFC South next season. Wheeee!

Props to the Dolphins and Chad Pennington. Best of luck in the playoffs.

If anything good comes of this, the Patriots and Cowboys both miss the playoffs. Typing that felt good.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
so, did Wade Phillips forget to mention in his locker room speech that they were in a "win-and-you're-in" situation? That was probably the least motivated team I've seen (that had something to play for). I know they said that Phillips' job wasn't in danger, but after this, don't you HAVE to fire him?

Everyone in Dallas hopes so.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I must say congrats to the Dolphins for making the playoffs especially how embarrasing they were last year them and Atlanta were the 2 teams I didn't expect anything from this year and to have the year they had was amazing.

I must also say a big laugh and fuck you to Team ESPN(AKA Dallas) It felt good me at work and someone telling me they lost 44-6 a team that was supposed to go to the superbowl and win it weren't a good team to begin with they folded again in December and Romo folded again in an imprtant game when it mattered and their overrated defense was torn to shit althought Demarcus Ware is a beast and possibly could be the defensive player of the year.

Of course the cost of this is seeing Phily in the playoffs but I have confidence that they will do nothing anyways.

But 3 big fading chokejobs have to go to
1. Tampa Bay who lost their last 4 games all you had to do was win 1 game especially this week against a shitty Oakland Raiders team.
2. New York Jets after beating Tennessee this team went from possibly being the #2 team in the AFC to missing the playoffs altogether
3. Washington Redskins As much as this pains me to see this watching my team go from 6-2 to 8-8 even though I've seen this team go 7-1 back in either 97 or 98 and and end up 9-7 and miss the playoffs and I've seen this team go from 0-5 one year to being 5-5 and I think end up 7-9 at the end, and their last 2 times making the playoffs they had to go perfect in December to get in which they did

The point is this team can't put together a consistent 2 halves of a season and maybe it's the roster, maybe it's the competition but after losing the Monday night game against the Steelers this team wasn't the same and neither was Jason Campbell his INTs went up as time went on and injuries hurt the team in the 2nd half and Portis I don't think was healthy in the 2nd half of the season from the Pittsburgh game on but I give him credit for trying and attempting to play batterred and injured every week

I would really like to see if Devin Thomas can become a #2 WR for this team if not this team really needs a #2 receiver to completment Santana Moss, Randel El is good special teams player and decent receiver but I don't think he's a #2.

The time for this team to do something is soon because I don't know how long this team will have this defense and Portis are getting older and can't play at a high level for too much longer.

At least Dallas is out though and I'm kind of glad New England is out too.

That felt really good typing that.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Quote:
I must also say a big laugh and fuck you to Team ESPN(AKA Dallas) It felt good me at work and someone telling me they lost 44-6 a team that was supposed to go to the superbowl and win it weren't a good team to begin with they folded again in December and Romo folded again in an imprtant game when it mattered and their overrated defense was torn to shit.

At least Dallas is out though and I'm kind of glad New England is out too.

That felt really good typing that.
Watching the Cowboys/Eagles game was so much fun. I can't tell you what a blast I had seeing the Eagles destroy a weak, apathetic, worthless, overrated Cowboys team. One of my favorite games of the season, without a doubt.

I'd also like to congratulate the Miami Dolphins for a great season and fighting their way into the Playoffs. They really deserve it. Bill Parcells is a football wizard, mastermind, genius, etc. It's unfortunate about the Jets, but they've been playing terrible football and dropped the ball, and putting my personal feelings about the team and Brett Favre, they simply didn't deserve a Playoff spot. And I'm so happy the Patriots didn't make the Playoffs either. Nothing against Matt Cassel (I hope he gets a solid starting job somewhere one day), but I absolutely despise the team.

As great of a story as the '08 Dolphins are, I still think the story of the year of the 2008 NFL regular season are the Atlanta Falcons. After last season and the whole Michael Vick disaster, and with a rookie QB and rookie coach, I don't think ANYBODY expected the Falcons to have such a great season, finish the reg. season with an 11-5 standing, and head off to the post-season. I think they could surprise the hell out of everyone one more time by reaching the NFC championship. I'm not saying it will happen, but it could. We all know the NFL is very, very, very unpredictable.

Cowboys eliminated from Playoff contention + Patriots eliminated from Playoff contention = HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

I swear I'm going to toast to these teams not making the Playoffs on New Year's Day with a glass of champagne, a can of beer, whatever.

Strider
Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Quote:
As great of a story as the '08 Dolphins are, I still think the story of the year of the 2008 NFL regular season are the Atlanta Falcons. After last season and the whole Michael Vick disaster, and with a rookie QB and rookie coach, I don't think ANYBODY expected the Falcons to have such a great season, finish the reg. season with an 11-5 standing, and head off to the post-season. I think they could surprise the hell out of everyone one more time by reaching the NFC championship. I'm not saying it will happen, but it could. We all know the NFL is very, very, very unpredictable.
Actually right now it wouldn't shock me if they made the Super Bowl the Giants the past few weeks have looked vulnerable.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Marinelli and Crennel got canned. Can't be shocked about that. I'm slightly surprised about Mangini getting fired as well. I know they finished poorly, but I don't know if it was his fault. Their team just looked worn out (other than Thomas Jones) down the stretch. I think this is the end for Favre, too. He didn't look remotely emotional this time around, as if the end of the season was a relief for the first time. I'd be stunned to see him back in NY, unless they get a coach he'd REALLY like to play for.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post

They did it! They freaking did it! What a season. Sure the Dolphins had a pudding-soft schedule but the team was innovative and resilient. I can't believe the turnaround. Where's CunningVisions? We need to celebrate.
I'm here my friend. I'm just in shock, from the worst team in the league...to AFC East Champs. Quite a turn around. I'm happy for Chad Pennington as well, clearly the best QB we've had during these long, agonizing 8 years of supposed QB play.

But of course, leave it up to Peter King to whip out his stubby schlong and piss all over our parade ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../Week17/5.html

Quote:
It's true: Bill Parcells can walk for 30 days starting Tuesday and still get paid the $12 million he's owed by new majority owner Steve Ross of the Dolphins. But don't think it's a done deal, or that he's decided to do it. I've heard Parcells isn't Ross' cup of tea, and if he isn't, then yes, Parcells will leave and take the money.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:01 PM
The Panthers had me worried in the second half, but they were able to pull out a win. I love their rushing attack. Williams is nuts. And I maintain that Steve Smith is the MVP. He makes superhuman catches every week, and he is unquestionably the best wide receiver in the league right now. I'm not seeing any quarterbacks that are blowing me away. Adrian Peterson is the only other person I would vote for.