Old 10-19-2001, 04:25 PM
Reviews: Zoolander

JoBlo's 7/10 review of ZOOLANDER can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/zoolander.htm

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

GUIDELINES: CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS ONLY!

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended =
Not recommended =
In the middle =

[This message has been edited by JoBlo (edited 10-24-2001).]
Old 10-21-2001, 12:34 AM

What kept me away from this movie? It was the incredibly stupid premise and the freaky nature of the commercial. Was my intial inclination wrong? Hell, no!

Actually, those are the elements that made this movie so damn funny. Its physical humor hits the spot and there is not a moment in this movie that ever gets serious.

This movie has received a lot of flak (See Ebert's review) because of its subject matter. Its plot is about a clan of supermodels who are plotting to kill the prime minister of Malaysia. While it seems really stupid and insensitive to Malaysia, what needs to be understood is that the subject matter was never intended to be taken seriously and was itself intended to be a parody.

If you like physical humor and shallow, yet socially-satirical dialogue this is definitely a movie to check out. Just remember that it was INTENDED to be stupid. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson acted their roles perfectly and, I repeat, I recommend that you see it at the matinee price.

If you are still not convinced and want to screen the general jist of the movie (or if you have seen the movie and liked it) , check out this clip here:
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/product/f...406420,00.html
It shows the inspiration behind the movie...it comes from the VH1 Fashion Awards a couple years back. Enjoy!

7/10

[This message has been edited by psudoazn (edited 10-21-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 04:06 PM
Zoolander cracked my ass up! Maybe it was because I was feeling down due to the September 11 tragedy but man did I laugh watching this movie...I pissed my fucking pants...Stiller's face alone had me in stitches...BLUE STEEL BABY!
Old 10-22-2001, 10:35 PM

Zoolander- 9/10

Yes folks, it was actually this good. I went into the theater with a frown on my face and left with a huge, grinning smile.

Poor Ben Stiller. Last year in Meet the Parents he played a male nurse, now he is 3-time male model of the year, Derek Zoolander. For about 5 minutes of the movie, Zoolander is on top of the world as the most famous (and stupidest) male model in the world. He even has his own "look", called Blue Steel, and is working on a new one called Magnum.

However, at the VH1 Fashion Awards (which has a hilarious cameo from Fabio), he loses this title to Hansel, a surfer/new age hippie model (played perfectly by Owen Wilson). He next loses his friends in a freak accident involving (get this) gasoline, cigarettes, and orange mocha cappucinos. Derek is now furious, and has suddenly retired from the fashion business. Evil clothing designer Mugatu (Will Ferrell, of SNL fame) sees Derek's anger, and gets him to do an awful thing: Assassinate the Prime Minister of Malaysia!

And that's only the first 30 minutes. The movie plays on like this for another hour, as Zoolander and Hansel get themselves into millions of stupid situations along the way. In a movie like this, the plot isn't really the big thing; it's the way that the actors ham it up with their character, and in this case, they are all definitely hams.

Sure, Zoolander is one of the stupidest comedies I've seen in a long time, but underneath its stupid surface there is a wickedly funny satire of the fashion industry and how everyone has to be perfect all the time. Many cameos by people such as Fabio, Donald Trump, Fred Durst, Andy Dick, and Tommy Hilfiger only add to the fun. And Stiller's real-life dad Jerry has a small role too as the head of Zoolander and Hansel's agency, Balls Models, who constantly has a prostate problem.

Overall, this movie is great if you are in need of a laugh, like I was, and just a fun film to relax during it and not have to think hard while watching it. By the way, it upsets me to think that pricks such as Roger Ebert didn't like the movie only because they used the country Malaysia in it. Once again, this film rates a 9/10.

[This message has been edited by JoBlo (edited 10-23-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 10:50 PM

This movie was really well directed. All of the sounds, cinematography, cuts were great! The openning sequence was worth the price alone for me. It reminded me of a Mortal Combat-style video game where you had to select your characrers - complete with background voices calling out the names.
Ben Stiller is really a funny guy, and Luke Wilson gives the movie a Great Weirdness. Christine Taylor didn't offer much for the movie, and I thought she was in some of the worst scenes, but overall she did a great job. I can't complain about the actress who was a Marsh Brady! I know a lot of people had an issue with Jerry Stiller being in the movie, but I thought his presence was great. I endorse and respect it when family members stick together like that. It adds a nice astheic chemistry, so to speak.
I'll probably buy this movie when it comes out. It won't be one that I watch every day, maybe once every so often, though. Personally, I would put it on par with Austin Powers or Half-Baked.

[This message has been edited by JoBlo (edited 10-23-2001).]
Old 10-24-2001, 10:39 PM
Zoolander 7/10...

Zoolander was a good old time at the movies...even though it was pretty silly and stupid, I laughed throughout the whole thing. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson were both funny, especially in their "walk-off" scene.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:14 PM
What a nice suprise. I let my friend rent the movie for once, and he picked "Zoolander", which got pretty bad reviews. I was expecting another shitty raunch-fest. But I was dead wrong. This was one funny movie. I was cracking up not stop. I love the team of Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson (the royal tenenbaums, meet the parents) and this is another I can add onto that list. There were some pretty dumb parts but the suprisingly funny jokes make up for it. If your at the video store and you have no clue what to rent ... rent this! (only if donnie darko is not there!) But this was a good laugh-fest.

STORY: 88/100
ACTING: (comedic in this case) 90/100
PLOT: 75/100
JOKES: 98/100

Overall... 88% (8/10)
Old 04-01-2002, 11:22 PM
Zoolander 8/10

Zoolander is really, really Hilarious. I think this movie has paved a way for movies based on skits. I thought at first this film was from Saturday Night Live. On the DVD I found out this movie was based on a Vh1 skit. Ben Stiller Shows he can act and direct at the same time. Ben Stiller had me and my mom crackin up. Will Ferrel was hilarious. I laughed watching him in a little school boy suit. Owen Wilson was also funny too. Zoolander is no Meet the Parents. If you like Ben Stiller and stupid character comedies then Zoolander is for you.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:18 PM
Broad comedy directed by and starring Ben Stiller as a dumb male model whose focus is on a rivalry with a fellow male model (Owen Wilson), and who does not realize he is being tricked into killing the prime minister of Malaysia. The dumb male model shtick stays fresh throughout the film, and there are enough laughs to please a broad audience.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:46 PM
This is a film that makes for a very difficult review. The reason for that is because you either get the humor and love it to death, or you don't really get it and think it's a stupid movie. For those who enjoy Ben Stiller for his humorous "spaz" scenes (like in "Meet the Parents", during the airplane scene), you will not like this film that much. But if you are a fan of Ben Stiller's ability to create a character so off the wall, and stay consistent with it throughout the film, you will love it! I love Ben Stiller, and Owen Wilson, and Will Ferell. Put them together in a film, and it is a sure win! I love this film because I feel that Stiller is at his best. Both he and Wilson capture the perfect imitation of male models. I guarentee if you watch this film you are in for a few sure laughs, and if you love Ben Stiller you are in for a heart attack! I give this film 9/10 for it's consistent and incredibly wacky humor.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:59 PM
well, when i first sat down to see zoolander, i felt that it was going to be pointless, idiotic, and without a relevent plot. i was damn right. that's why the movie was so good! what else do you expect from a movie with ben stiller directing and starring in? everything that i thought this movie was gonna be, it was. funny as hell, and more entertaining than watching two monkeys swing from trees while eating bananas! this movie was all around great. for anyone that loves a good laugh, go see this film. if you have already seen it, go see it again. it's that damn good! Gerald!
Old 07-29-2002, 06:40 PM
ZOOLANDER

"3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity"

SYNOPSIS
Zany send-up of the high-fashion scene profiles the unbelievably dumb supermodel Derek Zoolander who, weakened by competition from a comparably dim newcomer, is brainwashed to assassinate a world leader.

REVIEW
"Zoolander" is such a hilarious movie. It's totally stupid, but it's funny. In fact, it's the funniest movie of the year. Ben Stiller is the reason why the movie is so funny. His character, Derek Zoolander, comes out with the most pathetic and hilarious things you can imagine. So, I've made my point that it's funny.

The storyline is something that hasn't been much thought of, but it's used in a way which makes it interesting. Okay, I'm not making sense. Let's just say it's a dumb plot which is cleverly used.

I think "Zoolander" tries to aim at poking fun towards models and it suceeds. It gives us a insight to what models do on their daily basis and how they act, but it makes fun of them. It's completely silly but clever and humourous.

This is Ben Stiller's best direction to date. It's fast and stylish, but I guess it has to be seen as though the movie involves alot of models catwalking down a stage.

His acting is pretty decent, but he doesn't have to try hard at acting like a complete idiot seen as though he's done his fair share of it in movies like There's Something About Mary, Reality Bites and Mystery Men. I heard this was supposed to be alot like "Austin Powers" which I loathed, but I don't think it's much like it at all. Yeah, it had a character who is a retard and parts of the movie were ridiculous, but apart from that, NO.

There are some other fun faces in the movie, like Christine Taylor who is a total fit babe, although she looked better with a bit of meat on her like in Friends. Owen Wilson also plays a good part as Stiller's model enemy. David Bowie makes an appearance, but it's nothing to go cuckoo about, he only has like 3 lines. Oh, Billy Zane, Winnona Ryder and David Duchovny make quick cameos.

There was one flaw, however...the ending. It was rather predictable and clichť. Example: Dude ends up with chick...blurgh! During the last twenty minutes of the movie, the laughs fall flat too. They must have gotten tired of writing the script.

So, "Zoolander" is a pile of clever shite which will have you rolling around the floor with laughter and then going back to the scenes you missed due to laughing so much. Watch it for fun.

7/10
Old 08-19-2002, 08:38 PM
I absolutely loove this movie. Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Will Ferrel are a awesome team. Ben Stiller plays Derek Zoolander a male super model who is as dumb as a nail, Owen Wilson plays Hansel, another male model that is becoming very popular and seems to be taking the place of Derek. Meanwhile ,Jacobim Mugatu who is played by Will Ferrel is a major fashion designer and who also has a side job of brainwashing models to assinate major worldleaders is looking for a model to assinate the Prime minister of Malaysia. He decides to brainwash derek and have him assignate the Prime minister at his upcoming fashion show that he invited the Prime minister to also.
Zoolander is a very, very funny movie and I high recommend this film. 10/10

[This message has been edited by rockerbaby604 (edited 08-19-2002).]
Old 11-15-2002, 12:30 AM
There are many odd qualities to this movie that make the word "quirky" be incorrect. Zoolander goes so far to be off-the-wall...totally strange and unorthodox. From the moment I saw Ben Stiller's mug to the minute the credits rolled, I was in love with this movie. It was different, it was unique...and proved that there really is more to life than being really, really ridiculously good looking.

Cute cameos and a couple of truly classic scenes (Wake me up before you go go, namely) make this a worthwhile comedy. Be warned, that you will not feel "ehhh" upon this movie...you will love it or hate it...it's just a fact.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:55 AM
I dunno...it wasn't that unique...and not incredibly different...It seemed like it was trying to accomplish an Austin Powers vibe, but ulitmately failed...a worthy attempt...but not a movie to love...not at all. Oh...and not as "strange and unorthodox" as it should have been...jokes fell flat, and Ben was a bit annoying.

This type of humor can only be done very well...or quite bad...this film took the latter route

5/10
Old 11-27-2002, 08:13 PM
Zoolander: 3/10

This movie was so gay. Any movie that is only 89 minutes in length and that manages to put me asleep 3 times can't be good. After actually managing to make it to the end on the 4th try, I sat and reflected on one of the most idiotic, unfunny, and mainly just boring of movies I have ever seen. It opened on a lame note, and ended on one.

I had a lot of high hopes for this one, too. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson together made me crack up hysterically in Meet The Parents, but there just wasn't enough of a boost this time around. When the "humor" of a movie centers around one dumb joke over and over, which by the way is a brainless male model making an ass of himself, it can't be good. There wasn't any romantic chemistry as intended between Stiller and whatsername... the mission to stop a fashion lord that wants to mandate child labor was dumb.... the jokes were lame.... Oh did I mention there were a LOT of cameos in this film? And not a one of them influenced the movie one bit! The best was prolly an appearance by David Duchovny at the gravesite, I didn't even recognize him with all that makeup!

I did laugh exactly 3 times. 1) the gasoline fight scene, 2) "what? no thanks for the freakfeast last night", and 3) building the DEREK ZOOLANDER CENTER FOR KIDS WHO CAN'T READ.. GOOD... AND WANT TO LEARN STUFF TOO". I generously give one point for each of those laughs, as there's nothing else that I enjoyed. I may have chuckled a little here and there overwise, but there was definately more snoring than laughing. I saw this whole mess as basically an Austin Powers rip-off that failed in the worst possible way. However, most people really dug it... so what do you recommend these days?
Old 02-03-2003, 12:28 AM
Zoolander (2001) --> 7/10

Hereís a movie you just have to have fun with. I mean, the plot isnít suppose to be taken seriously and the characters are so stupid theyíre funny. Ben Stiller is the man in charge here and really delivers some hearty laughs, mostly coming from Zoolander himself, played by Stiller, and Hansel, played by Owen Wilson. The two are at each others throat throughout the entire movie, competing in walk-offs and exchanging harsh (and very funny) words. They are so oblivious and dim-witted that you canít help but laugh, mostly because itís hard to believe anyone could be so stupid. Lotta laughs! Also, there is an array of supporting players ranging from Jerry Stiller to Will Ferrell, who plays the evil Mugatu. What a character! I couldnít help chucking everytime he was on screen, mostly because of that god awful hair and make-up he sports for the entire movie. Funny stuff. As for the plot, well, itís just a reason for all these characters to say and do stupid stuff and to poke fun at the modeling business in general, and it worked just fine. The movie also has a pretty catchy soundtrack, a lot of cameos and a quick and easy runtime. This flick doesnít take itself too serious, delivers some laughs and presents a lot of fun and entertaining characters. How can you go wrong?
Old 02-03-2003, 08:42 AM
From the MASTER who brought us The Cable Guy: 9/10, comes another comedic work of ART! ..... Zoolander. 9/10

"It's a walk-off".......

"I'm so happy to be recieving this "Actor *SLASH* Model Award, and not the other way around".....

"I can DERA-LICK my own balls thank you"

LOVE THIS MOVIE!

Anyone get the inside reference to The BRADY BUNCH?

Last edited by Dude; 02-03-2003 at 08:45 AM..
Old 02-03-2003, 09:38 AM
Zoolander, zoolander.

hmmm, well i felt this film was fairly average. on one hand, its a nice poke in the face at the modelling world which seems to take it self so damn seriously sometimes. i love satire, and this is certainly bordering on that learned art form.

on the other hand not all of this worked. not all of the humour was actually that funny. not to say i remained stony faced throughout, because that would be untrue. there are moments that are truly funny, but then some of it fell flat on its face.

and ben stiller just annoyed me during the whole thing. i dont know, maybe it was the voice that did it.

how to sum it up? a film that could have been better, where the humour could have been tightened up a little and in places it didnt seem to be that comfortable with itself. like it ran out of funny stuff to put in during the writing of the script and they just made do. on the other side of the coin, it was fun in places and there are worse ways to spend 90 minutes (most involving a cheesegraters

so its somewhere in the middle

and i like round numbers

so its 5/10 for this. but i might change my mind when my girlfriend makes me watch it on video
Old 02-23-2003, 07:33 AM
Zoolander
**1/2 (out of ****)
6.0 (out of 10)
Grade: C+

Directed by Ben Stiller
Starring Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Will Farrell, Christine Taylor, David Duchovney

Zoolander is so-so hit or miss comedy that is more silly than funny. It stars Stiller as Derek Zoolander a world famous male super model who is forced to join forces with a rival supermodel (Wilson) up and comer when he discovers a plot in which they brain wash supermodels to become assassins. The movie has it's moments but the main problem with the movie I think is it makes for a great comedy skitch but the premise is too thin for a feature length film. Stiller and Wilson are ok but they have been much better and much funnier. Farrell is oddly forgettable as the villian and Taylor is pleasant but little more than that. Surprisingly the funniest performance in the film is delivered by Duchovney who has an all too brief but memorable appearance.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:55 PM
to all of you who have only seen the movie once ..go see it again. the first time i saw it, i thought it had a few good laughs & that was it ..but when i gave it another try, i really enjoyed it. Ben Stiller is great & blue steel is classic :-)
Old 08-01-2003, 11:26 PM
I'm sorry but I'm not big on reviews and I'm not one who makes pointless threads but I would like to say THIS IS THE SECOND BEST COMEDY EVER It has 3 of the most hilarious men and the most Hilarious man Ben Stiller is the most hilarious man alive, Owen Wilson, Will Farrel and everyonhe is is just brilliant.

10/10
Old 08-13-2003, 08:19 AM
I just wanted to say how disappointed I was when I saw this in the theater. I didn't laugh once because it was so stupid I couldn't believe. It was really STUPID! That's all I can say about the movie. Stupid script, stupid acting, stupid comedy (if you can call that comedy)...

1/10
Old 10-16-2004, 10:47 PM

9/10 Zoolander is one of my favorite movie comedies ever. Stiller and Wilson were not only hilarious but they had a really good 'buddy' vibe going, like Hope and Crosby or Mathaeu (SP?) and Lemmon did in their classic comedies. The gas station scene, the Zoolander family reunion (complete with mermen and 'Zoolander' hair) and, of course, the David
Duchovney graveyard sequence were fall to the floor hilarious. I absolutely disagree with Joblo that Christine Taylor slowed down the movie - with this much silly (but great) humour, you really need a straight man (woman) to bring it back down to earth occassionaly (she's one of the few characters that can actually react like the rest of us would to the overhyped ego-fest that is male modeling). joblo also mentions this movie as being influenced by Austin Powers - this kicks Austin Powers' any day!
Old 10-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Very very funny movie. 3/4
Old 10-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Zoolander was one hell of a strange film, ive only seen the last 2 thirds of it, both of which were increadibly funny and entertaining, the acting was pretty good, each actor playing their character well...but the characters and story was so damn weird, not that thats a bad thing, but i kept thinking "what the fuck is this"

7/10
Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 AM
i loved this movie!
10/10
one of my all time favorites
its hilarious

"its a walkoff"
ive loved it since i was little, i first saw it in theatres YEARS ago and i still love it to this day, i have it on my computer, flashdrive, dvd, ipod, everything.

10/10 10/10 10/10 10/10 10/10