Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Underworld: Ride of the Lycans

NOTE: I spelled the title of the movie wrong. My bad.

(I posted this in the Current Movie thread of the movie, but felt it should go here too)

I found that it brought absolutely nothing to the franchise whatsoever. Everything in this movie could of been explained in a three minute narrative. The action wasn't interesting at all, the acting was boring, the story wasn't anything special, the one black character had an extremely annoying voice, and the time between night and day is off. Way off. Fights begin at night and...five minutes later its brutally sunny. Whats up with that.

This movie was boring.

5/10.

Last edited by mutant_gorilla; 01-25-2009 at 02:01 AM..
Old 01-24-2009, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant_gorilla View Post
(I posted this in the Current Movie thread of the movie, but felt it should go here too)

I found that it brought absolutely nothing to the franchise whatsoever. Everything in this movie could of been explained in a three minute narrative. The action wasn't interesting at all, the acting was boring, the story wasn't anything special, the one black character had an extremely annoying voice, and the time between night and day is off. Way off. Fights begin at night and...five minutes later its brutally sunny. Whats up with that.

This movie was boring.

5/10.
i dont agree with anything in your post. well maybe that guys voice! but who in the hell watches a movie and counts the number of black people?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:52 PM
I sit with pad and paper and mark a tally every time a new black character is introduced into the story.....or maybe when there is a character with a voice as ridiculous as his, and also being the only black person in the movie, makes it easier to reference. "The black guy with a weird voice"

Did that character even have a name? Another one of the many forgettable moments of Underworld 3. I honestly can't think of anything I can pull from this movie that I could consider worthy of the ticket price.

The fight scenes were mediocre. The acting was nothing special.
The sets and scenery was nothing we haven't seen before in a dozen other period films. We have dark, darker, and brief sunlight.

Special effects were pretty bad. The white apes in Congo were more convincing (and much more frightening) than the werewolves in this flick.

It didn't bring any insight or depth to the first two installments. We already knew he damned his daughter to death, and it really isn't necessary to see why.

I don't know, but maybe you or anybody else can tell me what I missed from this movie that was worth remembering. I'm glad somebody can disagree with my opinion of this, but why? Why do you disagree...
Old 01-25-2009, 04:13 AM
SPOILERS but not really if you've seen the first in the series

I think the black guy was in this to show the relationship between him and Lucian in the first movie... he'd been a part of the 'pack' for a very long time.

And ummmmm considering the time this was set I think the lack of black folk is prolly more spot on as its set in England and we all know that the nasty Slave ships prolly weren't about during the time of Vampires and Lycans

But I do have to say Underwhelmed: Rise Of The Lycans adds nothing new to the series as we see this story in the flashbacks, sure it adds some Viktor/Lucian story but for that there's no new territory here. There are some alright fight scenes and the only time I felt a twinge of feeling was when Sonia gets to see the sun for the first time.

The films have always had a semblance of story but have always been fast paced in the delivery with heavy bouts of action. Rise of the Lycans tried to be some great forbidden romance film with a story where the Under'dog' rises up to find freedom... I expected Viktor to start looking for Lucian and the Lycan slaves to start standing up to proclaim "I' Spatacus!!!" it was that cliche

It's not the actors fault though... The writing is way off the mark with some realllllly shoddy lines.. .there was a moment when Viktor says something to Lucian just before he practices his sword eating trick and it would have been fine if Lucian had remained silent but he said something which wasn't needed at all... it was a shame

The direction was a lil off as well.. it lost a lot of the gloss the first two had.

Also if you've not seen the first one and think that "It'll be fine to watch this one, it's a prequel" DON'T... at the very end of this, it sums the first film up in under a minute as we see Celeste sitting a top the tower exactly where the first begins
Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant_gorilla View Post
I'm glad somebody can disagree with my opinion of this, but why? Why do you disagree...
i simply found the movie good. it wasnt great but well worth the $5.50 i paid to see it. i enjoyed the action but found the acting to be the real strong point. to me the one weak point was the story. and thats only because we were already told this story.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 AM
The amazing thing is that black guy actually talks like that seriously watch the special features.

I thought this movie was alright but in no way needed at all, just another way to cash in on the franchise name. I thought Bill Nighy, Michael Sheen, and Rhona Mitra were good in it and but all in all really a pointless movie. It was cool to see Sheen fully werewolved out though

Last edited by Frosty_86; 01-30-2009 at 08:59 PM..