Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 PM
The Dracula Archives - 8/10
Although it seemed the author got bored and just wanted to finish it asap towards the end it was a good read.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Marvel Knights Spiderman #1-12 - hardcover

Mark Millar / story, Terry Dodson, Frank Cho / art

I had never read any Marvel Knights Spidey. This was before I started casually reading Spiderman comics again a couple years ago. Here, Millar crafts a fairly brilliant tale of one of Spidey's rogues finding out his identity (we don't learn who until later on in the collection), kidnaps Aunt May, and tries to bring Peter's world down around his ears. Pete also gets help from an incarcerated Norman Osbourne (in a sort of Hannibal Lecter role) and The Black Cat.

What's great is what Millar does with Spidey's villains, which most of the major ones appear here. Electro's latent homosexuality is hinted at. Eddie Brock auctions off his Venom symbiote to the criminal underworld with disastrous consequences. Even Mac "Scorpion" Gargan plays a key role. It's a story that keeps you guessing throughout--Millar really knocks this one out of the park. Terry Dodson's art may not be everyone's cup of tea for this type of adventure, but he brings a fresh realism that benefits the story.

All in all, easily the best Spiderman tale I have read from this decade. Wish they would adapt some of this for the movies. They need more mystery.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:34 PM
The Dark Tower Book 7:The Dark Tower

Perfect all except for the mucho disappointing very-end. For my thoughts on the end/etc. look up my Thread on it.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 AM

7/10 i love the movie alittle bit more
Old 02-05-2009, 02:36 AM

Kronos By Jeremy Robinson

Oceanographer and EX-Navy Seal Atticus Young is attempting to reconcile his relationship with his daughter so he takes her on the scuba trip she has been wishing for her entire life. The dive of a lifetime quickly turns to horror when a creature only heard of in myth devours Young's daughter right before his eyes. Bent on revenge Young teams up with an eccentric billionaire driven by lust for adventure to hunt down and kill the creature.

Robinson really knows how to write fast-paced action novels. I was instantly hooked by they way Robinson tells his stories. The action flows great and you get great character development without being bogged down by unnecessary details. The pages fly by and you can really just get sucked into this story. Just a really fun read.

All of Robinson's books have been great and his writing keeps getting better with each book. If you are fans of Steve Alten, Matthew Reilly, and early James Rollins then Robinson is an author for you to check out.

5/5

Last edited by ZMoney08; 02-05-2009 at 02:53 AM..
Old 02-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Read all 3 volumes. Great read. Grant Morrison is a madman, but he delivers quite well on the comic book page. The ending was anticlimactic, but that's only because the Invisibles get into so many other crazy adventures, that by the time they get to the final showdown, you've gotten so used to it. Maybe that's the true genius of the work. It makes the impossible become normal in a way. I love the psychedelic nature of some of the passages. The art was always great. I loved the shifting artist. It fit with the concept of the book, that reality is constantly shifting.

The idea of liquid information was really great, and God being trapped his own creation. There was a lot of heady stuff going on in the book. Some times, you're left sort of wondering, "Wait, what did I just read?" But that makes it more rewarding for me. I don't like being ahead of the storyteller and the Invisibles is anything but predictable. Even naysayers have to give Morrison credit for weaving all these genres and conspiracies together. I've been trying to do the same in some work of my own. I'm glad I'm not the only artist interested in weaving conspiracies with stories. It makes for great writing indeed.

I give this an A!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 PM

Take what everybody says about Cormac McCarthy and his prose, apply it to Bradbury, and you have my feelings on the subject. Quite possibly one of the greatest (still living) writers around, this is a fantastic series of short stories (the title one was adapted into a Twilight Zone episode) with a deliriously fantastical and imaginative form of language. He makes me want to improve my craft so much after taking it all in, but it did give me a bit of a headache after a while. You don't just sit and read Bradbury, you take it all in, gradually.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Halloween: The First Death of Laurie Strode

Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 AM

7.5/10
Old 02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Debunked!: Conspiracy Theories, Urban Legends, and Evil Plots of the 21st Century by Richard Roeper

Pretty good, funny read.

8/10
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Halloween: The First Death of Laurie Strode #2

Old 02-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Action Comics
Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
A Nightmare On Elm Street 01 (2006)

Old 02-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Blood Meridian, Or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

Maybe the best book I've read in my life thus far. McCarthy's celebrated prose reaches unthinkable heights here as he brings to life a surreal, terrifying, lurid nightmare, the purest distillation of what a nightmare is. He writes as if he were possessed by something otherworldly and unnameable. It's the sort of inspiration most artists only come across maybe once in their lives, if they're lucky. Everything, from the violence of the old west to the men who populate the novel to the very landscape on which it takes place are all given an otherworldly strangeness and sense of large, mythic importance to the point where everything mentioned from the biggest to the smallest thing becomes possibly allegorical or symbolic of something much larger, elevating everything into another stratosphere and separating the novel into a category of its own. The judge is one of the best characters I've encountered in literature. A lesser writer (or perhaps just a less strange writer) would've turned such a character into something more typical and less...I don't know. Less large. Less significant. That's what the whole book has that separates it, among other things: the epic, mythic largeness of it. All the way through, but especially in the ending. Holy shit what an ending. I sat trembling for a little while with the book open on the last page. I don't know, I don't have anything much to write that I could form into coherent sentences. So I'll just leave it at that. Probably the best book I've read.

Anywho, next up: either A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry or The Grapes of Wrath, by Steinbeck. Still haven't come to a decision.

Last edited by Powerslave; 02-09-2009 at 06:33 PM..
Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 PM

i didn't like this the second time around

4/10
Old 02-15-2009, 12:11 AM
A Nightmare On Elm Street 02 (2006)

Old 02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
The Dark Half (Stephen King, 1989)

Not nearly as good as some of his other stuff, more predictable with cheesy dialogue, but it was a fun scaary-enough story nonetheless.

7/10

Not About Heroes (Stephen Macdonald, 1982)

Interesting play about Owen and Sassoon, but a little (forgive me) 'gay' at times and not engaging enough to keep the audiences' focus on these two characters throughout.

6/10
Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Just finished volume 3 of The Boys. If you havn't read it then you should!! Another Garth Ennis series and its just as wonderful as the preacher. Check it out!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 PM
The Essential Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe - Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2

I didn't realize that Sabra, that one chick from Israel (y'know... the one with the spikey cloak), could lift 50 tons.
I mean, I knew that she had super-strength, but 50 tons? I mean that stronger than Spiderman. Substantially stronger.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 AM
THE BRASS VERDICT by Michael Connelly

good stuff B+
Old 02-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Bag of Bones by Stephen King, which is my fourth King book in a row.

4/4
Old 02-24-2009, 02:12 PM

Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child

After finishing this book all I can really think is that it could of been much more. There is a pretty cool story in this book but it just isn't enough action to go along with the topic. This book has the same vibe as Child's last solo book Deep Storm. There is a sense of unknowing that the characters go through for the entire book that I both liked and disliked. Child is good at writing characters struggling with the unknown and being wrapped in a mystery but being in the dark for most of the story took away a lot of face time for the deadly creature these characters unleashed. For a creature feature style of story I would of liked to see some more action. All around it is an ok book but there is nothing really there that makes it stand out from any other book of this genre.

3.5/5
Old 03-02-2009, 09:42 AM
DRAMA CITY by George Pelecanos

A-
Old 03-02-2009, 12:59 PM
A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseni) - 9/10

Sad, but excellent.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 PM

i'm ready for tomorrow night

9/10
Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 AM
also finished last nite

4/10 not as good as the last two
Old 03-05-2009, 04:05 PM

The Hungry Moon-Ramsey Campbell:3/4

This was my first Campbell book and I was really impressed with his prose.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:16 PM
All Quiet on the Western Front (E. M. Remarque, 1929)

Fantastic war novel, well written and manages to absorb/entertain you.

10/10
Old 03-07-2009, 01:48 PM
finished Blood Meridian yesterday
Old 03-08-2009, 11:54 PM
how was it?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunn10 View Post
how was it?
very good...the ending was awesome, although the exact outcome is unclear. the middle of the book got a little repetitive, but still very good. the violence is unreal...
Old 03-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Man what a boring book. There is no mystery, no suspense, and no action whatsoever. This whole book can be based on coincidences. The characters are always in the right place at the right time. This book is supposed to be a treasure hunt but all it really is is the characters traveling from different locations easily solving the next "riddle" in the search. Seriously every place they go one person in their group knows all the history of the area and the people and can solve the next clue. Even when there seems to be know way with the characters background that anyone would know what to do next someone has conveniently done research the night before. I'm not kidding, on two different occasions a character comes out and says they were keeping quiet but just did research on the subject the day before and here is what the history is and this is what we should do next. Also there is no conflict until over 200 pages in and even when it is revealed it is very weak and really isn't all that much a factor for the rest of the book and is resolved with a snap of the finger. Another thing I hated was the author mentioned his first book way too much. I didn't read it so all of the pointless references did nothing for me. One more thing. The characters always murmured. You almost couldn't go a page without someone murmuring something even when a murmur wasn't the correct way to describe what they were saying. Just a bad bad book.

1/5
Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
'Salem's Lot (Stephen King) - 10/10
Absolutely fantastic read, well developed characters and story that kept me hooked, been far to long since I last picked up one of King's novels.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Let the Right One In
John Ajvide Lindqvist

As excited as I was about the movie I'm now almost feverish with anticipation. I know certain changes have been made (particularly in refernce to Hakan, which is an interesting choice, because if the book really has a monster it is him, but i'm still breathless with anticipation at seeing some of these scenes realised on scrreen. The two swimming pool set pieces are stunning, Virginia's transformation is genuinely disturbing, and Oskar and Eli are brilliantly realised characters. This is the first novel I've managed to finish in a long time, and I'd recommend it to any horror fan.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:19 PM

This was the first Chuck Palahniuk novel Ive read and Im definitly going to read more of his. It was pretty damn good, I think Im gonna read it again sometime in the near future because there were a few things a missed.

8.5/10
Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Let the Right One In - 8/10

Goes deeper than the movie, but that is because we are privy to more info regarding Eli's background, plus some extra stuff with a character named Tommy (dropped for the film) which I felt were rightly excised from the film. Otherwise, both adaptation and this original source are equal.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:02 PM

Wow!!! I wish I had read this before I saw the movie, although I did really like the movie I think reading this will help me enjoy it more in the future. I can see why this is the most celebrated graphic novel. 10/10
Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury) - 8/10

Still as relevant today as it was fifty years ago.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:58 PM

5.5/10 Very disappointing. The entire novel is build up to the ending, and quite frankly the ending just did not make sense.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Wizard's First Rule-Terry Goodkind 3.5/4

The first in the eleven-part Sword of Truth series. I really enjoyed it, but since the ending had a good deal of closure (,and because I can't find Stone of Tears anywhere,) I won't be bouncing off the couch to get part two for a lil while.