Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter Biskind

Has anyone read this classic book about the birth and death of the New Hollywood movement? I am 100 pages in, and its fantastic. I will say it to my grave, the 70's was the best decade for film.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:43 AM

A fantastic book, with tons of great insight...
Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Back in the day I read it back to back with Spike, Mike, Slackers and Dikes, and they made great companions, really well written and like JJ mentions insightful. Together they span film from the late 60s into the 90s. Good stuff. They also did a documentary based off of Easy Riders and Raging Bulls. On that tip, PBS ran a series about film during the mid-90s - we could get college credit for watching it at my school. For the life of me I can't remember the name, though.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Love this book. I read it when I was about 16 and find myself flipping through and reading sections every once in a while. I hadn't seen 90% of the movies that are discussed in that book at the time I read it. But now I've seen almost all of them, and I totally concur, a great era for film.

Also the picture with Martin Scorsese and Robbie Robertson is hysterical. Scorsese looks like such a little munchkin next to Roberston.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
Back in the day I read it back to back with Spike, Mike, Slackers and Dikes, and they made great companions, really well written and like JJ mentions insightful. Together they span film from the late 60s into the 90s. Good stuff. They also did a documentary based off of Easy Riders and Raging Bulls. On that tip, PBS ran a series about film during the mid-90s - we could get college credit for watching it at my school. For the life of me I can't remember the name, though.
I recall Kevin Smith mentioning Spike, Mike in interviews; in fact I think a copy of it shows up in Mallrats. I've still gotta check that one out.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 AM
Fantastic book, can be read over and over. Very rich in anecdotal history and details, and the filmmakers come off the page like living breathing people. Led me to seek out most of the films it covers. Can't recommend this book to any schmoe enough.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmJunkie1114 View Post
I recall Kevin Smith mentioning Spike, Mike in interviews; in fact I think a copy of it shows up in Mallrats. I've still gotta check that one out.
Now I gotta check out Mallrats! (seen parts of broadcast, but haven't watched it fo' real...)
Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Uggs are largely responsible for the deterioration of modern film.

I heard Spielberg wore Uggs while filming Jaws.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Love this book.

itx motherboard mini itx boards itx motherboard itx motherboard mini PC Mini ITX Cases Bag Manufacture Cooler Bag Non-Woven Bag Plastic Bag Tote Bag Shopping Bag Degradable Bag PP Bag

Last edited by jadelung; 04-15-2009 at 11:03 PM..
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadelung View Post
Love this book.
/\ /\ /\ /\
The light, hangman looking scroll over text above is pop-up spam. Just a heads up.

Great book by the way, and pretty solid doc too. The stories about Altman and Scorsese make me yearn for the heyday.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 03-27-2009 at 11:43 PM..
Old 03-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Finally finished; terrific book. I didn't know Friedkin was such a dick, and it instilled in me the belief that Pauline Kael may have been highly susceptible to bribery.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM

I just finished this one, and I recommend it. Its like the late 80's, 90's and early 00's equivalent to "Easy Riders.." by the same author. Not as good, but very interesting and devourable.