Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 AM

No need to take it personally dudeman. It's just that with a comeback that major I had to comment on it. It's not like you see something like that every day. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
rip nick adenhart...sad shit right there, only 22
Old 04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
It is a shame when anyone that young dies. Best wishes to the family.

I was looking over the Angels staff and they look to be fucked! Lackey is hurt. Weaver is there #1 right now, Saunders is a good, but a young pitcher with only one very good season under his belt and then basically a few kids all who have not pitched a full season as a starter. Plus an offense that has trouble scoring runs. VS a very improved A's team.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:11 PM
That is very sad and horrible news. Just hours after pitching 6 shutout innings.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Sad news. God Bless he and his family.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Well . . . I can tell the Braves are going to have bullpen issues again this year. Which shouldn't surprise me considering I recognize a lot of the names in the bullpen from last year.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Well . . . I can tell the Braves are going to have bullpen issues again this year. Which shouldn't surprise me considering I recognize a lot of the names in the bullpen from last year.
You are probably right, but it is way to early to tell. Bullpens change so much from year to year. Outside of the closer, it is very hard for bullpen guys have success year after year. By that same respect, guys can have a great year out of the blue too.

I hear Billy Wagner will be back early. If he does the 7th for the Mets, they will have a very strong pen. If you are a Braves fan, you could have a hard time keeping up with them.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Is it just me or did the Angels seem stoic about Adenhart's passing? Rollins was interviewed the morning after, and he acted like someone stole his lollipop.

GO ROYALS!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:14 PM

Nick Swisher's line last night: 1 IP, 1 hit, 1 K, 1 BB, 0 ER!

He also hit a home run earlier in the game. The Yanks lost because Chien Ming Wang forgot how to play baseball but Swisher saved some face by having some fun. This guy is pretty terriffic. I hope he keeps starting, he's been on fire.

/not a Yanks fan
Old 04-14-2009, 06:31 PM
I had originally written a pretty long rant about my disgust for the Yankees' performance last night, but instead of them sulking and going out and blowing another game like they would have done last year, they pulled their socks up and played one hell of a game tonight. They played hard and with a lot of guts, intensity and pride. Kudos to them and the rest of the teams in the league for showing us in these first handful of games that this is going to be one hell of a season in Major League Baseball. The AL East is going to be fucking nuts!

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-14-2009 at 10:11 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I had originally written a pretty long rant about my disgust for the Yankees' performance last night, but instead of them sulking and going out and blowing another game like they would have done last year, they pulled their socks up and played one hell of a game tonight. They played hard and with a lot of guts, intensity and pride. Kudos to them and the rest of the teams in the league for showing us in these first handful of games that this is going to be one hell of a season in Major League Baseball. The AL East is going to be fucking nuts!
It is the Jays and Orlioles are first and 2nd in the AL East right now be surprised if it stays that way.

Ricky Romero looked really good last night. Not bad for his first 2 starts.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:59 AM

I just want to take a moment to pay my respect to Harry Kalas. He's pretty much the only broadcaster I've ever known and THE voice that I've come to associate with Phillies games. I'm sure a lot of people in the area feel that way though since he had been calling their games since 1971. He died on Monday in the announcer's booth in Washington just shortly before a game against the Nationals. It was announced today that it was due to heart failure.

It seems fitting that he didn't pass away until now what with the Phillies finally winning the World Series and all. He didn't get to call the other World Series we won in 1980 because at the time the networks had their own broadcasters that they would use for the event. However, Philadelphia's vocal outpouring of wanting to hear Kalas during the series was so strong that the networks amended this in 1981 by allowing each team's regular season announcers to call World Series games.

At any rate games won't be quite the same without his baritone voice. On another note if someguy were to pop into this thread then his "died doing what he loved" remark would be spot on this time, what with Kalas actually dying in the booth while preparing for a game.

THAT BALL IS OUTTA HEEEEEERE!!

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
It is the Jays and Orlioles are first and 2nd in the AL East right now be surprised if it stays that way.

Ricky Romero looked really good last night. Not bad for his first 2 starts.
Obviously I expect those two teams to fall into the last two spots by the end of the season, but both teams looked much improved from last season. It's going to be a very tough division and undoubtedly a fun one to watch.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Obviously I expect those two teams to fall into the last two spots by the end of the season, but both teams looked much improved from last season. It's going to be a very tough division and undoubtedly a fun one to watch.
Both teams started hot last year too. The O's are improved, but I doubt they will hang around with the big ones. I look for them to finish around .500. Toronto is harder to figure. I don't think they have the offense or pitching to do much better than a few game so over .500.

I miss the days when Tampa was a crappy team. I think Boston has the potential to finish last this year. I don't care what Mr Knuckleball did the other day, I think they are in big, big trouble if Dice K doesn't turn it around. Beckett will do fine. I am not sold on Penny and Smoltz. I think Smolz is going to get creamed in the AL east. The Sox hitting is not all that good either if Papi does not hit.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:19 PM
I am embarrassed to be a Yankee fan today. I know it is way to early to freak out, but 4 of 12 games they have given up more than 10 runs and gotten blown out. 2 of the 3 games at home they got killed. This is the opening of the brand new 1.5 billion dollar stadium and they are playing like it is still spring training. Starting players in the field do not finish games.

Wong is a disgrace so far. He needs to stop pitching and go back to Tampa and work things out. Joba can't pitch an inning without throwing less than 20 pitches, which means he does not even see the 6th inning. I want Joba to be a starter, but not if he can't get his average pitches throw per inning down to 15 and I mean now. He is not going after hitters and not throwing strikes. If he does turn it around within the next three starts and show a major improvement, he needs to go back to the bullpen. There he will set up and in two years take over as closer. Bring Hughes and Kennedy back up, because they did very well in winter ball and so far in the minors.

Jeter needs to stop being a captain by example and start opening up his mouth or be stripped of the title. Guys are all going for the 5 run home run every at bat. No one is trying for a single or double. Cody Ranson needs to go. he can't even field the position or hit his weight. Mark T needs to play hurt or not. He is supposed to be the hitting leader since A Roid is out for now. Instead he is not doing much and not play much. What the fuck is this half game shit?

All is not lost, but they need to make a few small moves and shake up this team. I want some emotion. Losing is not so bad, but getting your ass kicked and giving up before the 6th is not acceptable. The score was 20-4 when I started this and now 22-4.

Last edited by Abbie Normal; 04-18-2009 at 07:23 PM..
Old 04-18-2009, 09:16 PM
The only reason the game was so bad today is because of Wang. That's it, that's all. They need to send him down to the minors and bring up Phil Hughes until Wang has learned to make his sinker actually sink. Every time he throws it it stays in the middle of the plate and does not sink. He's completely lost his touch. I've actually been pretty impressed with the Yankees in all of their games that did not involve Wang (as well as their first game of the season and the 7th inning of the home opener). Cano has really stepped up and is showing that he really can have a great first half to a season. He's working his ass off. The offense is there, and they have gotten some clutch hits down the stretch of some of the games, especially from Jeter. I've been impressed with Sabathia, Burnett and Pettite (especially Burnett), and although Chamberlain hasn't had the greatest first couple of starts, he's been good enough to keep the Yankees in those two games, one of which they won. Brian Bruney has also been fucking lights out so far.

I'm feeling pretty good about the Yankees, and the lop-sided loss today does not make me worry all that much, I just hope the management can make the right decision and bring up Phil Hughes who has been lights out all winter.

Regardless, we are definitely in for an interesting season in Major League Baseball all around. Florida is looking stellar and the Dodgers are hot.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:39 PM
your 1st place toronto blue jays

Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Jacoby Ellsbury stealing home last night against the Yankees was awesome. When the ball was about halfway to the plate, I saw the fans jumping up (not knowing why) and then I see Ellsbury slide across the plate.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
I nominate that for Baseball moment of the year.
It was a great play, but it certainly re-raised the question of why more people don't try to steal home against Andy Pettitte. I've seen Andy play nearly every game that he has played with the Yankees in his career, and it baffles me that more people don't try to steal home against him. Not only is he a lefty (preventing him from seeing the runner at 3rd), but his leg kick and overall delivery takes forever, giving the runner plenty of time to get to the plate. Sure, stealing home is always a risky play, but the last two players to try (Ellsbury and someone on the Blue Jays last year) have been successful (not sure what the overall stats are for people trying to steal home against him)
Old 04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Aaron Hill
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_t..._sb_tp_350.wmv
Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiefatsacks View Post
That's the one, thanks for the post. He didn't even really begin his motion there, and Hill still made it. Again, it baffles me that more players don't try to steal home against him.

But don't fuck with him when you're on 1st base because he has arguably the best first base pick-off move of all-time.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:14 PM
great to see Javier Lopez fuck up the game for the sox last night....
Old 05-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Manny Ramirez banned 50 games for taking PEDs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1
Old 05-07-2009, 02:14 PM
supposedly he took a drug that players have been known to take AFTER they've taken steroids to get their testosterone level back up or something.

it's also some kind of fertility drug

^both were heard on ESPN First Take
Old 05-12-2009, 01:57 AM
woooo DOC VS AJ tomorrow! i got some nice seats, can't wait to heckle that sellout Burnett
Old 05-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiefatsacks View Post
woooo DOC VS AJ tomorrow! i got some nice seats, can't wait to heckle that sellout Burnett
God I hope Burnett gets spanked like a redheaded stepchild.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMazVolta View Post
God I hope Burnett gets spanked like a redheaded stepchild.
And he did and Halladay was great as always he leads the AL in wins now and has more wins than any pitcher over the past 7 years.

He is the best pitchers in baseball period.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
And he did and Halladay was great as always he leads the AL in wins now and has more wins than any pitcher over the past 7 years.

He is the best pitchers in baseball period.
Halladay truly is the best pitcher in baseball, no question.

But that game last night... good times!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Dodgers just one their second in a row.....God I hope Manny comes back more fertile than ever on July 3rd!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Halladay truly is the best pitcher in baseball, no question.

But that game last night... good times!
I figured the wheels were going to fall off Richmond some time it's his first bad start but not bad this year for someone who wasn't even in th emajors until this year.

Tonight another great performance from Tallet it ended in a loss a close one Tallet has been really good since being put into the rotation that's his 6th start too.

I'm still skeptical of this team but it would be amazing if they can keep this up right now other than the Red Sox right now one else impresses me in the American League, with the exception of maybe Kansas City who I'm pulling for that market and their hardcore fans deserve it
Old 05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
David Ortiz's line against the the Angels last night: 0 for 7, 0BB, 3K, 11LOB. Ouch. Unless he turns it around big time in the next little while, he may be done.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:47 PM
boner in one hand, broom in the other

sweeeeeeeeeep
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM
The Yankees are just plain scary. The middle to late inning relief is weak, but come playoff time I am not worried. Their hitting is just nuts.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:02 AM
How to not catch a pop-up fly ball by Mets 2nd baseman Luis Castillo.

Fail, just fail last night.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I was flipping between the Stanley Cup and the Mets/Yankees game last night. I changed the channel just in time to see the Yankees celebrating. My first thought was "Oh shit, K-Rod blew a save. Whatever, shit happens."

Than they showed the replay.

It wouldn't have been so bad if Alex Rodriguez hit a double to bring in two runs. It at least would have been an honorable way to go out. But no, let's drop a routine pop up and turn what was a hard-fought game into a punchline.

That play summed up the past two years for the Mets. It's why they can't catch up the the Phillies when it matters. It's because of shit like that.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRay View Post
I was flipping between the Stanley Cup and the Mets/Yankees game last night. I changed the channel just in time to see the Yankees celebrating. My first thought was "Oh shit, K-Rod blew a save. Whatever, shit happens."

Than they showed the replay.

It wouldn't have been so bad if Alex Rodriguez hit a double to bring in two runs. It at least would have been an honorable way to go out. But no, let's drop a routine pop up and turn what was a hard-fought game into a punchline.

That play summed up the past two years for the Mets. It's why they can't catch up the the Phillies when it matters. It's because of shit like that.
If it makes you feel any better the Phills also lost a hard fought game to the Red Sox in extra innings last night. Pretty weak to strike out 20 times in one game. Hopefully there's a little more life today. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I feel better today. Granted, I still got crap from my Yankee fan friends, but the Mets put together a solid effort and bounced back nicely. Ryan Church has been solid since coming back. And Omir Santos is just awesome.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Looks like Halladay will most likely be traded very soon.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Looks like Halladay will most likely be traded very soon.
Seriously? What are the rumors? Why? I thought he wanted to stay there?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRay View Post
I feel better today. Granted, I still got crap from my Yankee fan friends, but the Mets put together a solid effort and bounced back nicely. Ryan Church has been solid since coming back. And Omir Santos is just awesome.
I am a Yankee fan, but I am not going to give Met fans crap with all the injuries. I thought they sucked before the injuries.