Old 04-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Werewolf fiction?

Im in a bit of a werwolf kick. I've read Robert R. McCammons The Wolfs Hour and loved it. I was wondering if there were more great werwolf novels out there that Im unaware of.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by poopontheshoes7; 04-28-2009 at 06:39 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Werewolves rock.

Not entirely focused on werewolves, but Stephen King's "The Talisman" has an awesome werewolf character.
. . . though you might've already read it.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler View Post
Werewolves rock.

Not entirely focused on werewolves, but Stephen King's "The Talisman" has an awesome werewolf character.
. . . though you might've already read it.
Oh yes, I have. I loved the shit out of it. Wolf is probably one of my favorite literary characters of all time.

And, where the hell have you been? Havent seen ya around much.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM
The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (if you can find it) - while not specifically a werewolf story in the traditional sense (it's about a guy who gets "stuck" in wolf-man form while experimenting with magic), it is a really good book. It's like a historical-romance-action-adventure-thriller. Good stuff.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Funny this thread was started cause I just ordered Bestial: Werewolf Apocalypse by William D. Carl. The reviews are really good and it was on sale from Permuted Press which is a awesome book publisher that only sells Horror and Apocalypse books.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Obviously I love werewolves too...but I've never read a werewolf novel. The only ones I can find are those Twilight wannabe-type tween romances. Stephen King's Cycle of the Werewolf might be good for you, Poop-I liked the movie.

*Shrugs

Agreed. The Schmoes demand more X-Nightcrawler.

*Nods in approval
Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Laurell K Hamilton

Well if you guys are into Werewolves you need to check out the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter novels by Laurell K. Hamilton. One of the main characters is a Werewolf and throughout her novels you run into pretty much every kind of Were-creature you can imagine. The series even has a couple of books that are purely focused on the lore of the Were animals and the wolf pack.

Plus you get a kick ass vampire series that blows away any I have read to date, and makes the Twilight vamps look like kindergartners.

Toss in a dash of one of the best Merc/Hitman characters in history and you have a win win.

Just a warning, by the 3 or 4 book Laurell seems to suddenly become obsessed with sex. Personally I have no complaints but the books go beyond soft core at times, way beyond. But again that's just a plus for me!

Check them out if you love good books period.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Martyds would totally back you up on that.

I personally hated "Guilty Pleasures" and never wanted to read another book in that series. Anita Blake is an annoying bitch, and the sexual stuff got on my nerves. I also really disliked the prose (how many times does she say "He flashed a fang"? Like 10,000 times per page?).

But if you're into adult Urban Fantasy, you might like it.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Martyds would totally back you up on that.

I personally hated "Guilty Pleasures" and never wanted to read another book in that series. Anita Blake is an annoying bitch, and the sexual stuff got on my nerves. I also really disliked the prose (how many times does she say "He flashed a fang"? Like 10,000 times per page?).
Thank goodness that somebody was also irked at this. The concept of Anita Blake is pretty nifty, but is there anything Anita Blake HASN'T become? Vampire regent, vampire queen, vampire sex slave, werewolf, succubus, necromancer, magician, sorceress, voodoo priestess... all of these things only happen to her and nobody else which is becomes pretty tedious.

And her constant musings and how attractive Jean-Claude (I am serious) gets on my nerves tremendously.
Alright. We get it. He's gorgeous. You want to do him. Now shut up and do and say something useful.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagia_Romero View Post
Thank goodness that somebody was also irked at this. The concept of Anita Blake is pretty nifty, but is there anything Anita Blake HASN'T become? Vampire regent, vampire queen, vampire sex slave, werewolf, succubus, necromancer, magician, sorceress, voodoo priestess... all of these things only happen to her and nobody else which is becomes pretty tedious.

And her constant musings and how attractive Jean-Claude (I am serious) gets on my nerves tremendously.
Alright. We get it. He's gorgeous. You want to do him. Now shut up and do and say something useful.
No Tagia! You don't get to have layers!

I'm pretty surprised you're supporting me here, actually. When I saw you were the newest post of this thread, I was getting ready to wrestle you down (verbally . . . but arrangements can be made) but I'm pleasantly surprised now. I honestly thought you'd love this series.

And I don't remember who Jean-Claude was, but I remember a fishnet-wearing vampire in book 1 who was often target of Anita's lusty scrutiny ("omg his pecs!" "omg his face!" "omg his hair!"). I don't like reading that stuff unless I'm reading the diary of some girl who's writing about me. Hmph.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Quote:
No Tagia! You don't get to have layers!

I'm pretty surprised you're supporting me here, actually. When I saw you were the newest post of this thread, I was getting ready to wrestle you down (verbally . . . but arrangements can be made) but I'm pleasantly surprised now. I honestly thought you'd love this series.

And I don't remember who Jean-Claude was, but I remember a fishnet-wearing vampire in book 1 who was often target of Anita's lusty scrutiny ("omg his pecs!" "omg his face!" "omg his hair!"). I don't like reading that stuff unless I'm reading the diary of some girl who's writing about me. Hmph.
DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T HAVE!

I thought you would think I would love the series, but allow me to clarify; I love the concept of the books, the lore and the variance of species. I love the detective angle, Hell, some of the erotica isn't too shabby, but Hamilton turns it all into a glorified version of self-wishfulfilment, a little like Stephanie Meyer with her 'Twilight' book. Anita Blake is basically the carousel of the series; bitch gets around and doesn't let anybody else get on the ride unless it's to suit her conditions. Hamilton doesn't seem to have a vested interest in any other of the characters other than to treat them as objects of desire, hatred, plot point, whatever. They are cyphers, not characters the reader can relate to on any level.

I really wanted to love this series- the reason why I am reading through them is to TRY and and see if Hamilton is giving Anita's Big Adventures a break and focus on the others around her, such as Micah the werewolf for example- all he has been so far is a sex partner for Anita, that's it.

And yep, that was Jean-Claude Anita was raving about. Happens in every book. And Jean-Claude while I am at this is the very stereotype of a vampire that many of us think of. I love my vampires all sorts of ways- scary, pathetic, sexy, funny, whatever- here Jean-Claude is being made the object of Anita's sexual arousal and nothing more. If Jean-Claude ever went against these two fellas:

It would up like:

Last edited by Tagia_Romero; 06-19-2009 at 04:34 PM..
Old 06-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
]
Oh my God! That is an awesome effing Movie Still!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1ng3rsnap9ed View Post
Oh my God! That is an awesome effing Movie Still!
That'll teach them to say "Vampires > Werewolves" again.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Darling? Is that invitation for wrestling still open?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Darling? Is that invitation for wrestling still open?
Of course, but the more unexpected, the better.

Ah, the nostalgia.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I prefer werewolves, but vampires can be pretty wicked too, when they are done right...which is never. Let's see:

Let the Right One In,
The Lost Boys,
30 Days of Night

that's about the extent of vampire films I've seen that have actually utilized the mythologies effectively. The Necroscope books are very good as well.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 PM
"It" features some awesome werewolf moments in it.

I'm searching for more werewolf novels myself. My madre reads these novels by Kelly Armstrong; Bitten and Stolen are supposed to be all about werewolves but I have know idea if they are more like Wolf's Hour or... Twilight.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I really think you would all get a kick out of The Werewolf's Guide To Life: A Manual For The Newly Bitten.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Read Storm Front by Jim Butcher first and then you'll get to my favorite werewolf book of all time, Fool Moon. It is AWESOME.
Also, if you can stand a little more romancing, Charlaine Harris' Sookie books have awesome werewolf characters in them. Can't wait 'til they pop up on the show.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:22 AM
I still like the old Marvel Comics "Werewolf By Night" series good stuff both artistically and story wise. only 43 issues total. + 5 Giant Sized -I know this is mainly about novels but....Attachment 8467Click image for larger version

Name:	wbncomicdrac.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	8468

Last edited by Dr.Frankenstein; 06-09-2010 at 12:26 AM..