Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 PM
As Ive said many a time before (which is rarely agreed with) 9 has always been my favorite Final Fantasy.

Did you know originally it wasn't planned to be a Final Fantasy sequel but instead a spin off and it was changed to sequel after about 75% of the game was completed which is why the last quarter is very different than the first three.

Biggest (and only really) complaint I have about the game is that combat is rather slow compared too most other Final Fantasys but that is something you get used to.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
God yes. The ATB was way too slow in IX.

I'm about 85% into FFIII (DS), I'm in the Ancient's Ruins. Enjoyable game, but I think it has a few drawbacks. Also, I think it was kind of a step back from FF II (am I the only one in the world who actually liked FFII?) in complexity. I still think that the only drawback in FFII was how stupidly easy its leveling system can be abused.

I'll give more opinions when I'm done.

BTW the demo for FFXIII has been subtitled. I can very honestly say that FFXIII could very well take VIII's spot as my favorite Final Fantasy. Maybe game, evar.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Final Fantasy IX rocks my socks and other things of apparel.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
A cool video for all FF6 (and Full Metal Alchemist) fans out there.

FINAL FANTASY VI OP?

Old 05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Holy fucking shit, dude, what's the story behind that video? It can't possibly be just fan-made.

BTW FFIII strategy question.

*SPOILER*

How the bloody hell does one beat Unei and Doga at the end of Doga's Grotto? My party is level 40 on average and I can beat Doga, but Unei destroys me.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:06 PM
yeah where did those FFVI clips come from? That's SICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler View Post
How the bloody hell does one beat Unei and Doga at the end of Doga's Grotto? My party is level 40 on average and I can beat Doga, but Unei destroys me.
what are your characters' jobs?

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 05-05-2009 at 06:15 PM..
Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
what are your characters' jobs?
When I typed that--

Luneth - Dragoon.
Arc (or "Ar" in my stupid game) - Black Mage.
Refia - White Mage.
Ingus - Dark Knight.

I made a separate save to change Arc's job to an Evoker to try and pummel them with Summons, but not sure if that's the best idea.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 AM
for the most part I just used physical attacks and powerful spells (bio works, thundaga, whatever). It's a tough fight, but Unei only has the same amount of HP as Doga, so if you jump with your dragoon and have powerful spells, it shouldn't be too hard to just win. Most likely, you'll have to heal right in the beginning, so keep the white mage. Summons do work pretty well I think, but I didn't go that route.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 05-06-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
So my original jobs are fine? I know Dragoon and Dark Knight is good (they do great damage; each has about 255 ATK), the Black Mage does some very good damage with Lvl. 6 spells (I hadn't thought of this but I could go buy and cast Lvl. 7 spells by now). And I need Raise, so I need the White Mage. There's no summon that casts Raise, is there? Because at least Ifrit (for some reason) casts Curaga-ish.

I still think having Phoenix Downs be a rare item is fucking stupid.

I just want to finish this stupid game so I can move on to IV.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Must've been a thing of luck. I went back, fought with the same strategy and beat them fairly easily. I just passed the Earth Crystal boss (also pretty easy). I was wondering if switching some jobs around would be a good idea.

I changed Refia (white mage) into a Devout. Should I change Ingus (dark knight) into a Ninja?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 PM
yeah I was gonna say, your lineup was fine for those fights. I would've told you to upgrade the spells, but if you managed without it, good for you.

And you're almost done from what I remember (although the last level is VERY hard). Personally, I didn't switch jobs all that much. I know it's fun and all, but I kept it simple cause I got comfortable with what my characters were doing. But that's just how I play (played V like that too). However, I thought Ninja was the best job. Ninjas and Sages. So if you don't have a Ninja, I strongly recommend getting one.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 05-06-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I think I will. I entered Eureka to fight the bling blinging optional bosses and get the tizzight weapons, but the second boss is proving a hassle. Bitch hits for 800, three times per turn.

I think I'll make Ingus a Ninja. Ninjas have to be sweet.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:06 AM

Wow, that image makes it look so much cooler. So I entered the final dungeon at level 55, all the sub-bosses barely touched me . . . and the final boss was STILL a fucking bitch.

Anyway. I finished it. Although I did like it despite its flaws (unnecessary difficulty, retarded final string of bosses/dungeons, still no semblance of a cool plot/characters, etc.), and I really think the Job System is pretty interesting and complex, it's definitely the Final Fantasy that's left me the most underwhelmed. 8/10. I did think the ending was pretty cute. I liked that it showed more 'closure' than I and II which just . . . kinda ended.

So. Let's see that bitch revised (and with 'tier' idea theft!).

Tier 1.
1. VIII.
2. IX.
3. VII.

Tier 2.
1. XII.
2. X.

Tier 3.
1. II.
2. I.
3. III

Tier 4.
1. XI.

Moving on to FFIV on the DS. I heard it's also very difficult. I hope it's not the case. I want to breeze through an RPG and just enjoy the story for once. When that's done, it's V on the PS1 and then to cap off the series, VI.

I hope to finish the remaining three before XIII is released.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 05-09-2009 at 04:20 AM..
Old 05-09-2009, 10:38 AM
IV is probably the hardest one, but I think (can't be sure, though) they made it easier on the DS release. So it shouldn't be too bad... although, I'm sure they still have the magnetic field part.

Anyway, I've been playing XII again. I never played it a 2nd time, because it took me about 160 hours to finish everything the first time (Yiazmat was like a 10 hour fight on his own). I love the look of the game, I LOVE the gambit system, and I love the character roles (namely, how there really isn't a main character).

But the pacing is really rough. Travelling in between levels just takes way too long. And Vayne is such a lame villain. Also (I don't know why this didn't bother me before) but there's no way to see the license board in advance. That's just too annoying.

I'm leaving it in my top tier for now for 3 reasons: the characters, the gambit system, and the side quests (hunting is the best main side quest FF has ever had). But man, plot progression is very rare in this game.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 05-09-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Old 05-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I loved Final Fantasy XII mainly because of its awesome story. I do remember thinking the exact same things you do. The gambit system was awesome (though, like most techs, half of them were useless) and the ensemble cast was great (though Vaan and Panelo were . . . well, kinda inconsequential). It was the first Final Fantasy with excellent dialogue and excellent voice acting (man, comparing this to FFX is a sin) and Ashe is one of my favorite characters in the series. And although I did miss Nobuo Uematsu, the music was cool (though less memorable).

I always cheated and eyed the License Board on the internet. It's stupid that you have to blindly feel your way through it.

What did bother me is what you say about the pacing. I finished it in 65 hours (when I regularly take about 40 in a regular FF) and that story was much, much shorter than something like FFVIII or IX. If it wasn't for the 5-hour plods through the deserts and jungles and mines (the road to Archadia was ridiculous) I would've finished the game in 30 hours.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Holy fucking shit, dude, what's the story behind that video? It can't possibly be just fan-made.
Quote:
yeah where did those FFVI clips come from? That's SICK
The video is mostly an edited version of the second opening of Full Metal Alchemist and the first ending. I think the last part is from an anime called "Bobobobobo" or something like that.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I really loved FF12 up until about 2/3 of the way through. I think it's the part when you start heading for the huge empire capital city. After that the plot just falls flat and the ending just didn't do it for me. The first few chapters of it are pretty damn amazing though.

I haven't played FFIV since I was a kid but I do remember the bosses being challenging. Then again I was a kid at the time so it's hard to say. I remember the plot being pretty amazing though. So your definitely in for a huge treat.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah. The first hour of FFIV (which I had already played, SNES version) is 10 times better than FFIII already. This is when Final Fantasy began turning into Final Fantasy. I love finally having a plot and characters (which were around in II, only too flat). This port is thus far awesome. Unlike I-III (PSP/DS), it actually looks like a game someone developed, not a game someone remade.

Cool stuff.

I actually kind of disagree with Jolanar. I thought FFXII (like most RPGs) got exponentially better by the end (the Occuria/Sun Cryst plot thread is great; I adore Ashe). I do think the part you're talking about (road to Archadia) was fucking awful. And it had Ahriman --the most annoying boss ever.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:03 PM
I finished my 2nd playthrough of XII. I gotta say, I really do love this game. Overall, I think it has the best characters (used to give that title to IX). Fran and Ashe are probably my two favorite female characters in FF history. Both are strong, independent females who just happen to be easy on the eyes as a bonus (and as X pointed out, Fran's accent was amazing). I also liked how there is no "main" character. Too many games have been ruined for me because I don't like the central character. My disdain for Tidus really took me out of X (and Yuna too, but mainly because of her voice), and emo Squall had me liking VIII less and less as the game went on. In this game, even if you hate the main character (which I would argue is Ashe, not Vaan), you can still really get a kick out of the game.

The humor was great, the voice acting was among the best in any game I've ever played, the gambit system was a very underrated innovation that I wish they kept around for future installments, I liked the freedom the license board gave (although it was dumb you couldn't see where you were going, so I had to just cheat), and graphically it was stunning. I also loved how you can't get ridiculously overpowered. If you want to land a major quickening combo, it actually requires skill (not just getting a weapon with "break damage" like in X, or casting Knigts of the Round over and over again in VII). If you want to land Zodiarc's major attack, it requires very precise timing. Great stuff, and definitely made some of the optional bosses very challenging (although this time around, I didn't go after Yiazmat or Omega).

And the 2nd playthough solidified the hunt as my all-time favorite FF side quest. To me, side quests need 4 things: they have to be rewarding, they have to be challenging, they have to actually be fun (not tedious, like dodging 200 lightning bolts), and they have to be relevant. The hunt had all of those things. You got some cool stuff, they get harder as they go on, the battles are fun, and it never takes you out of the game. What ruined Chocobo Racing for me was that essentially, before I turned VII on, I decided if I was gonna play the game, or race/breed Chocobos. The ranch and the racetrack were so out of the way. I loved how the hunts were seamlessly integrated into the gameplay.

There were 2 major flaws, though. First, as everyone seems to agree, was the pacing. Getting from level to level was just obnoxiously long, and plot developments were few and far between (even though the ultimate plot was very interesting). And secondly, I just didn't dig Vayne as a villain. My favorite FF games always have either particularly competent villains that you feel are a genuine threat because of what they accomplish (Kefka, Golbez), or have some interesting motivations (Garland, Sephiroth). Vayne was pretty flat as a villain in my opinion.

But still, it held up decently with a 2nd playthrough. I was afraid the pacing, which was a problem the first time around, would stop me from finishing it, but I was having too much fun. And at the end of the day, these are video games. The gameplay and mood in XII were flat out FUN, and that's what games are supposed to be. Maybe we didn't get any truly deep character insights or provocative villains, but I think we were kind of spoiled when we got those from other RPGs. If you want a great story and deep characters, you can always just read a book. If you want to have fun, play this game. I don't think I like it quite as much as VI, IX, or VII, but it's very close.

9/10
Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 PM
I agree-gree on almost all fronts (except you not liking VIII like a fatty face). I also always argued that Ashe was the main character of XII. It's her story entirely. The fact that Square 'promoted' Vaan as the lead (eventhough it's clear that there's not ONE lead character) is ridiculous. Panelo was also totally superfluous and inconsequential except for that minor "rescue her" (great stuff . . . belch) part.

Final Fantasy XII did indeed rock.

On my end, I'm loving the PISS out of IV. Man.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:15 PM
IV is fantastic.

I'm currently playing V, it's alright. Addictive as the rest of them, but nothing mindblowing thus far.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Quote:
If your a fan of 9 it's hard not to love 4.

I almost bought a DS for the sole reason of playing the remade 4. But in the end figured it wasn't worth the money to play a game I've already beat.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I'm currently playing V, it's alright. Addictive as the rest of them, but nothing mindblowing thus far.
It's amazing how silly V is by comparison to IV. But you're right, it is a very fun game to play. And I think it was the first one to have REALLY powerful optional bosses (Shinryuu beat the crap out of me)

And my only complaint with IV was the stuff at the end. It just seemed like a bizarre plot point to throw in, and for some reason it felt even more out of place than I remembered when I played it recently.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:48 PM
on a note different from reminiscing about the older games, Dissidia finally has an official North American release date: August 25. Can't wait to get it. The game looks like a ton of fun, and unofficial fan reviews of the Japanese version seem to be pretty positive. I wish there were more characters, though.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Quote:
I agree-gree on almost all fronts (except you not liking VIII like a fatty face). I also always argued that Ashe was the main character of XII. It's her story entirely. The fact that Square 'promoted' Vaan as the lead (eventhough it's clear that there's not ONE lead character) is ridiculous. Panelo was also totally superfluous and inconsequential except for that minor "rescue her" (great stuff . . . belch) part.

Final Fantasy XII did indeed rock.

I loved what I played of XII, but I never got to beat it because my PS3 got fucked and the only way to fix it was to reformat. I had unfortunately transferred all my PS2 stuff from my memory card to the hard drive, and traded the memory card in because I didn't need it anymore. 40 hours of XII RIGHT down the drain (along with my 35+ hour save of Persona 3).
Old 05-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Aparently FFIV is getting a sequel for the Wii.

Source
Old 05-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Wii?

It was announced for Japan a while ago in episodic content. I'm adoring FF IV (I'm right when Cid joins your party) so I'd love to get the sequel for the Wii.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I never knew it was coming to Wii Ware. All of a sudden, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm seriously hating on Square for releasing FF games on 4 different consoles. How do they expect people to afford that shit!
Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Halloween View Post
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Aparently FFIV is getting a sequel for the Wii.

Source
Yeah, it was originally a cellphone game, but they decided to release it on WiiWare, too. Should be out June or July. Good thing I have a Wii (which I hardly use).
Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Well bump with the new announcement of Final Fantasy XIV.

Now that the initial nerd rage rawr has boiled over, I can return to not being excited (as opposed to me being fucking pissed). Apparently it's not going to be a muhmurpuguh, so that's a bit intriguing. Might be a regular FF with big Online features? Apparently to be released also in 2010. Which means 2012.

Well. As long as XIII remains being so fucking awesome, we're all happy. Spring 2010 can't come soon enough.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Final Fantasy XIV.

Also known as yet another Square-Enix game I can skip.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Normally it's cool to see games get early announcements...but considering how long it's taken Square-Enix to release FFXIII, You'd think they'd spend most of their efforts to get that one done 1st.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:37 AM
MMOs and consoles just don't mix well at all, so I doubt I will be playing a FF MMO. Especially after the debacle that was 11.

On the other hand the new Star Wars MMO... *drool*
Old 06-22-2009, 04:48 AM

After the most hilarious final fight ever (I downed Zeromus' last 40,000 HP or so using only Kain, who had a total of 1 HP, doing this weird cycle of Phoenix Down-Jump-Phoenix Down-Jump. Zeromus would use "Meteor" on the characfters I somehow managed to revive, killing them, and Kain survivng only because of Jump), I just finished Final Fantasy IV and holy shit, that game rocked hard. I loved seeing the first FF with actual plots and characters (an evolution from II, which started it). I have some comments about the plot itself, but I'll mention those in a moment.

I think this is the FF I've plowed through the fastest and without much problems at all (though I did spend an awful lot of time grinding and grinding just so I don't have a lot of trouble with bosses), and I really enjoyed it. It had a cool finale, though it's funny to see how almost every single surviving character ended up in some place of power (whether King, Queen, Prince, etc.). Though I did think that the scenes leading up to the finale were 10 million times better than the finale itself. I adored the entire sequence with the characters praying, reviving the characters, Golbez getting owned, the whole dark/light stuff with the really well written dialogue and the FF anthem playing in the background. Cool stuff.

I also enjoyed how it was one of the most consistently tragic FFs (every character gets massively fucked up at some point or another).

*SPOILERS*

I did think the Zemus twist was something of a copout, but I LOVED the scenes when it was revealed. The flashback to Golbez and Cecil's childhood rocked shit, and Golbez was a pretty cool character when he went 'good'. It does make me wonder two things, though.

1. Why the hell does everyone make such a huge fuss about Ultimecia turning out to be the big bad and not Edea in FFVIII? FFIV does the same, only much worse.

2. Why the hell does everyone make such a big deal about Aeris' death? It's not the first time a main character has bit it halfway through the game. Although I have to admit, after Tellah, I thought the 'fake' deaths (Yang, Cid) were for real and was kinda disappointed when they turned out to be fakes ("Oh, somehow he's okay. It's not like the room he was in exploded or he fell from the sky to a pit of lava.")

*END SPOILERS*

Loved it, in the end. Really cool. Presently I'm not really interested in playing the sequel, but I'm definitely curious to see where they take the plot.

So as it works--

Tier 1.
1. VIII.
2. IX.
3. VII.

Tier 2.
1. XII.
2. X.
3. IV.

Tier 3.
1. II.
2. I.
3. III

Tier 4.
1. XI.

With this, I've completed all Final Fantasies except V and VI. I'm gonna go ahead and skip V and go straight to VI (which I'm like 10% into) so I can see what the fuss is all about.

Peace out, homies.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM
FFIV is my second favorite of the "nintendo era" of Final Fantasy, glad you enjoyed it X.

By the way, avoid the GBA version of FFVI. It's (lightly) censored and the music doesn't sound good on a GBA.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Quote:
FFIV is my second favorite of the "nintendo era" of Final Fantasy, glad you enjoyed it X.

By the way, avoid the GBA version of FFVI. It's (lightly) censored and the music doesn't sound good on a GBA.
Yeah, dude. It's very, very cool.

I have "Final Fantasy Anthology" for the PS1 (FFV/VI) so that's the one I'll be playing. I understand there's no significant difference between that and the original SNES version (except ridiculous loading times). Since I have no clue where my old SNES is (and I'm pretty sure finding a SNES cartridge of FFVI is impossible), this is the only option.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Quote:

Actually, the GBA version is less censored than the SNES one, and as far as I can tell, the PS1 version is just the SNES version slapped onto a disc. There is a scene that's censored in the GBA one where Celes is beaten, but I can't remember if it's in the SNES version because it's been ages since I last played it. But for instance, some of the sprites were censored in the American SNES version of the game.

On the left we have the Japanese SNES and GBA versions, middle is the American SNES version and right is the American GBA version. Not completely uncensored like the Japanese SNES version, but less censored than the original American release.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM
The Celes scene was on the SNES version, but not in the GBA. I'm not sure if it was on the PS1 version. I played both japanese and american versions of FFVI and I didn't notice the "nudity"

Now that we were talking about the "old school" FF series, I was just realizing that I hardly remember anything at all about FFV. I only remember the gameplay, but I barely remember the characters or the plot (I think it was something about a tree).

Last edited by Dead Halloween; 06-22-2009 at 05:32 PM..
Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Quote:

*SPOILERS*

I did think the Zemus twist was something of a copout, but I LOVED the scenes when it was revealed. The flashback to Golbez and Cecil's childhood rocked shit, and Golbez was a pretty cool character when he went 'good'. It does make me wonder two things, though.

1. Why the hell does everyone make such a huge fuss about Ultimecia turning out to be the big bad and not Edea in FFVIII? FFIV does the same, only much worse.

2. Why the hell does everyone make such a big deal about Aeris' death? It's not the first time a main character has bit it halfway through the game. Although I have to admit, after Tellah, I thought the 'fake' deaths (Yang, Cid) were for real and was kinda disappointed when they turned out to be fakes ("Oh, somehow he's okay. It's not like the room he was in exploded or he fell from the sky to a pit of lava.")

*END SPOILERS*
The end of IV felt like it was just thrown together... almost as if the developers decided the game wasn't long enough, so lets go to the moon. In an earlier post where I ranked games, I actually bumped IV down to Tier 2 strictly because of how ridiculous the ending got. I do love the game... loved the characters, loved the challenge (still remember how hard that Elf cave was), LOVED Golbez (infinitely cooler than Sephiroth). Just had some qualms with the turns it took.

And yeah, Zemus is much worse than Ultimecia. MUCH worse. Not as bad as the dude in IX, though.

As for Aerith, the answer is simple: it was a bigger deal because a) more people played VII, and b) people are OBSESSED with FMVs. The scene looked cool, Sephiroth's hair was flowing in all kinds of crazy directions, so it was a bigger deal. But as you found out by playing the older games, a lot of characters die in FF. Hopefully, you like characters dying... otherwise, VI might not be up your alley.

Also, I'm currently playing the sequel. Unfortunately, the game in its entirety won't be released until September. You can only download one installment right now (first 3 chapters), and the rest will be released periodically through September. Which sucks, because each addition will cost 300 Wii points. So if you end up having any interest in the sequel, wait until it's completely released. Just enjoy VI for now. Hopefully it hasn't been hyped to the point where it can't possibly meet your expectations.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 06-22-2009 at 10:11 PM..