Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Free tattoo designs?

Where can I find free tattoo designs? I've always thought that tattoos were idiotic, and that I would never get one. But then I realized that I was an idiot. Plus, it would be nice to have something blatantly blasphemous on my forearm. I'm not looking for any specific images; I just want something Satanic.

You can also use this thread to show off your tats. That's directed at female schmoes, of course.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Think long and hard (pfffft!) about it before you decide to take the plunge on one. Are you sure you want something random and non-specific? I know a guy who gets them on impulse. He looks like a moron. Seriously, he has a cross, a pentagram, some brand of rifle (i can't remember), the star of david, and probably other crap.

I'm not going to show a picture of my actual tattoo, but here's what I have on my left arm:

I'm going to get another on my birthday, maybe.

Last edited by Tweek; 07-06-2009 at 05:38 PM..
Old 07-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Oh, I wouldn't actually get one without thinking and re-thinking about it. Tattoos can be sexy if it's not overkill.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Seriously you have to think very long and hard about what you want and where you want it. I know some tattoo artists wont do certain tattoos on their beliefs so you also have to find the right one to do it..But yea I have 3 tattoos myself: Full leg tattoo of two dragons on my right leg,cross on my left calf,and a heart with chains and padlock over my heart..
Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Here's a sampler(my forearm and bicep).

Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Really, there is no one website for good free tattoo designs. The best thing to do is just a big fat google search for "free tattoo designs" or "free tattoo flash" (the artwork used for tattoos is called "flash"). Just see what comes up and work your way from there. Depending on what you have in mind, you might find a lot of decent stuff.

Well, I take that back a little. Deviant art has a boat load of tattoo artwork. But it can be a chore to sift through. But some of it is pretty sweet.

I've used free artwork for my tattoos. Two of my tattoos are exactly as-is the way I found them, the other two I adjusted the art to what I wanted. For me, I had something in mind for what I wanted, and then when I saw the artwork, it went off like a bell in my head. Sometimes you can find exactly what you are looking for.

But if you have an idea of what you want, feel free to check out a tattoo shop and see what they have up on the wall.

My advice would be to find an idea that you want. Print it out and hang it somewhere where you will see it all the time. If you still like looking at it a few months from now, then it's probably okay.

Also, forget about anyone who says "yeah, but you'll regret that when you get old" bullshit. For one thing, after awhile you won't even notice it anymore. It becomes second skin. Second: nothing about your body will look good when you're old, so fuck it.

Here is a couple on my arm. The wolf paw I just found somewhere. I think I found the cat one on deviant art, and then added the swooping lines to it:

I'll spare you pictures of my stomach. This one is a design I took and manipulated to what I wanted. It was actually two different designs at first. This one goes from my waste line to above my belly button (yes, it was extremely painful):

This one is just like I found it. It is on my right hand side ribcage (it hurt a hell of a lot, too, but not as much as the stomach):

Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Why a pirate rat?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
That Pi-Rat is pretty fucking cool is ya ask me.

Also, gotta say I dig the SEGA shirt....
Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 AM
There is a guy/shop/tattooist on photobucket called wonder__lick

There is a ton of stuff on there both designs and tattoos, you may want to check it out, its really good.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
But if you have an idea of what you want, feel free to check out a tattoo shop and see what they have up on the wall.
And don't just go to one shop, go to all the tattoo shops you can possibly go to.

Last edited by TheMazVolta; 07-09-2009 at 02:10 AM..
Old 07-08-2009, 07:20 PM
No chick tats yet??? No fair!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:09 AM
I won't get a tattoo unless it's (to my knowledge) something completely original that I've concocted in my melting stew (brain?).

...and that's why I only have three. They're all pretty big and full color though.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:20 AM
im sorry badbird, but those tattoos are lame.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Also, forget about anyone who says "yeah, but you'll regret that when you get old" bullshit. For one thing, after awhile you won't even notice it anymore. It becomes second skin. Second: nothing about your body will look good when you're old, so fuck it.
But then there's the whole 'feeling like an idiot' part of it.

Quote:
I'll spare you pictures of my stomach. This one is a design I took and manipulated to what I wanted. It was actually two different designs at first. This one goes from my waste line to above my belly button (yes, it was extremely painful):
Really? I guess that makes sense. Was it all painful or just the outlining part of it? That's what I found when I got mine.

I've heard the worst place to get them on the spine area. I know a dude who got a giant cross on his back and a lot of it, of course was there. :-\ Ah, drunkeness.

The one I have is on my left arm. The tattoo I'm thinking of getting next might be on my right and a 'sleeve'. It might be a quote of some kind in Tigrinya or Arabic.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Tattoos aren't for me, but I appreciate a good one. I see them fairly regularly on my clients and they often talk to me about their feelings..

I think the best tats are ones that actually means something to you. I think that's the problem that I have with searching for random designs online. Sure...I could get a tattoo of a evil hamster with a shotgun....but what's "cool" when you're 20 is embarassing at age 30. If you get quality art of something that strongly resonates with what you value, then you're less inclined to have remorse 15 years from now..

I think that tattoos of pop-culture references are even more foolish. They have the highest potential of backfiring.

Most of the time, I dont think that "it looked cool" is a smart argument. The exception would be with tattoos of cool designs. (Example below). Ultimately....I feel that you should use your tattoo to show that you actually put some thought into it. It's going to last a long time:

Last edited by inglourious basterd; 07-09-2009 at 01:59 AM..
Old 07-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
Really? I guess that makes sense. Was it all painful or just the outlining part of it? That's what I found when I got mine.

I've heard the worst place to get them on the spine area.
The whole thing was painful, especially the closer anything got to my bellybutton. I explain it this way: Imagine someone taking a knife and stabbing you in the belly as hard as they can, yet it never breaks the skin. Now imagine that for three hours.

I'm not sure anything could be worse than your belly (except for your private parts, I guess). I know that if it's right over a bone, it will hurt. But your back is also one of the easiest places to get one.

There are areas of your skin that are tougher because it is exposed to more contact. You back, your outer arms, your outer legs, and your ass aren't going to hurt much. Your stomach, your ribs, your inner arms,etc, will hurt a lot more because the skin is less tough and much more sensitive.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
No chick tats yet??? No fair!
I don't think you want a tattoo but just want to look at sexy women in revealing attire adorned with tattoos
Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
Plus, it would be nice to have something blatantly blasphemous on my forearm.

Blasphemous enough?