Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2009, 07:26 PM

That was a very good article Quentin. I agree with the points that were brought up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
My attitude would be disastrous if everyone had it. But selectively I always encourage people to try it out because I've had luck with it. This luck has to do with my appearance, the particular city where I'm being hassled, the particular neighborhood, the mood of the officers, and on and on... but there will always be something to say for attitude, however quietly whispered. Someone might not like the ego of an officer who deliberately walks you right in front of his flashing sirens in the dead of night so you can't see a damn thing while he berates you, but there's a good chance you don't like it cuz his attitude has offended your attitude. He got his dander up, you responded by getting your dander up. That's not a civil reaction. Officers have a different status than civilians, and they do have the right to subject you to some amount of inconvenience.

This only counts for certain situations, of course. I wouldn't argue that somebody should be submissive in any way if they are being violated or hurt or unreasonably embarrassed.

That you disrespect them because you might view them as uneducated gang members is your problem, not theirs, and I would encourage officers to give someone a hard time if that someone disrespected them about their education or employment, certainly if that someone disrespected their authority. Complaints of police going around overcompensating are canceled out when civilians respond by overcompensating for something of their own, which is a discomfort of being talked down to and made demands of. As far as I'm concerned, officers have the benefit of the doubt in status tug of wars. Civilians shouldn't make a scene because someone of lower education or trade is momentarily in control, momentarily in a position of power. It will likely cause the officers to enforce their control and power even more, which will probably tick off the civilian even more, and soon the whole pissing contest can elevate to somebody getting hurt or handcuffed.
I find this to be a very strange response. For all the wording I read, all I can really get out of your reply is to be subservient to the police whenever they stop you. I never said that you should refuse any order at any time by a cop. I never implied to fight the cops. I just gave my point of view that I don't hold them with a high regard and I said why. The briefest thing you actually wrote that I found the most truthful was this: I wouldn't argue that somebody should be submissive in any way if they are being violated or hurt or unreasonably embarrassed.

I've seen that kind of situation more often than not. I live right in front of a police station.

The fact that you think I'm looking down on cops has nothing to do with their education but what they have shown me when I've spoken to them face-to-face. My brother and I have confronted them for being too aggressive with people who were being, as you suggested, submissive during an arrest. I hate seeing people abuse their power so if it makes me a stuck up jerk for actually caring that cops in my city are often high on their power, then I'll gladly wear that badge.

I don't "disrespect" them when I have been confronted by them. I try to reason and be civil, but the fact is that most of the time, they lack those qualities. I've been stopped a block away from my house simply because I had allergies and my eyes were red. I explained this to them and they still wanted to hassle me over something so dumb. I wasn't driving erratically, I didn't break the law in any way, and yet they stopped me, and came at me with a condescending tone (Allergies... Yeah, right.)when I told them the truth. I really can't respect that kind of authoritative attitude. I doubt anybody would respect a person like that if they simply met them on the street.

I just think there should be more rigorous standards as to who gets to be a cop. I don't think the meat head from my high school who barely graduated should have the power to decide what is right and wrong and who gets to be arrested. I don't trust that judgement.

I'm curious, but what are you trying to imply about this "luck" you have. I don't know if you're being literal or not because of the italics.

This luck has to do with my appearance, the particular city where I'm being hassled, the particular neighborhood, the mood of the officers, and on and on