Old 07-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Customer Service Horror Stories!

I know a large percentage of people in here have worked with the public at some point in your life. So here is the place to vent those horrible ones. The ones that you want to literally jump over the counter and murder. The ones that really grind your gears! This can be past stories, current ones, whatever.

I work at a meat department/deli in a grocery store. We get a lot of old people. You don't even have to have worked with the public to know about old customers. Some of my favorite experiences with them are...

The guy that consistently comes in and wants us to ope of a brand new package whatever deli meat he wants even if there is an open one from like 15 minutes before in the cooler (we never oblige and his reactions are funny).

The ones that think I can read minds and have X Ray vision when I actually need a specific order to them saying "That".

The old lady that brought in meat she did not buy from us and wanted me to cut it tiny on the saw (which can cut fingers off) for free, and getting mad when I said I could not, as I am not a butcher.

The same lady as before bringing a non meat item to the counter, telling me to put it back where she got it, and leaving.

The guy that got infuriated at me for saying we put all the items he orders on one receipt as opposed to one receipt for every item. Name one place that does that. The worst thing was, like a 5 year old, he kept coming back and saying he was done just so he could get a seperate receipt. When I asked to see the receipt so I could mark it, he refused to give it back.

People that get mad at me for asking what type of hamburger they want when they just say "hamburger" or "ground beef". When all three signs say "Ground Beef from _______" Then after I ask, they say "I just want ground beef!" I mean, are you gonna go to an italian restaurant and order "pasta" then get mad when they ask what kind?

I've got millions, I will tell some of the longer ones later. On that not I am going to work!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Id say youve probably got it worse than I do. As far as Im concerned working in the food industry is the worse type of job a person can have.

As for me I work at Lowe's and we have our fair share of asshole's, dickhead's, douchebags, dumbasses, or just all around people that make want to go postal sometimes.

For the past year Ive worked in hardware and tools, which for the most part I like. It's laid back for the most part. The most pissed off Ive been is just this past Easter, a guy comes in and Im at the desk with nothing much to do and he the guy says that he needs help finding a screw which I politely say alright and I go over there to start helping out. He had screw with him that he was tryin to match up and I look at it grabbed a few off the shelf and asked him if he thought this would be alright. He said no and I asked if he needed something bigger or smaller he didnt answer me he just proceded to throw the package of screws that I gave him on the ground. And then he started opening packs and throwing screws around and one in my general direction. I told the guy to find his own fuckin screw and just left because if I didnt I wouldve lost my job.

A few days ago I had an older guy that was looking at a kitchen storage unit and he said it was sell at the other store. Which pisses me off because for one he didnt say which one other store (there are two other stores in the city and about 5 others that are in reasonable distance) and two he didnt get it when saw it the first time, because most people know with things on sale it only last about a week sometimes longer and also most of the stores do vary in their inventory a little bit. When I told him that the thing he was looking at wasnt on sale he said "well this is the worst fuckin service Ive ever had anywhere" and stormed off dropping his basket of stuff. Im sorry but Im there to help you about information about a product or direct you to a product. Im not there to kiss your ass.

That brings me to what is a pet peeve of mine is that people come in there who are doing some remolding or whatever and expect a discount. We tell them if they open up a Lowe's card there's a ten percent discount and some people just flip out. Fuck me we cant give everybody a discount who comes into that store, if we did that the whole fucking company would go under.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Another time was when I first started a guy said I didn't skin salami right, and proceeded to come into the meat dept (where customers aren't allowed), grab a knife from me and skin it. If I hadn't just started I'da done something, but I was just sitting there in shock at this asshole.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 PM
One time, it was about two years ago and I had just gotten my power equipment license so I was little nervous to begin with, I was driving a reach truck (theyre kind of hard to see from anyways) through the store and a kid darted out right in front of me. It scared the absolute shit out of me; my hands were shaking, I was only a few feet from hitting her. I swerved to get out of the way, I ran in to a display. And her mother had the fuckin nerve to yell at me, she needs to learn how to manage her child. Thank god my store manager was there to kick her ass out of the store.

Last edited by Frosty_86; 07-20-2009 at 01:33 PM..
Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't work in customer service. (I'm one of the many on the painful job hunt.) Anyway, I hate seeing people being rude to customer service employees without a good reason. They're not there to be a doormat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty_86 View Post
For the past year Ive worked in hardware and tools, which for the most part I like. It's laid back for the most part. The most pissed off Ive been is just this past Easter, a guy comes in and Im at the desk with nothing much to do and he the guy says that he needs help finding a screw which I politely say alright and I go over there to start helping out. He had screw with him that he was tryin to match up and I look at it grabbed a few off the shelf and asked him if he thought this would be alright. He said no and I asked if he needed something bigger or smaller he didnt answer me he just proceded to throw the package of screws that I gave him on the ground. And then he started opening packs and throwing screws around and one in my general direction. I told the guy to find his own fuckin screw and just left because if I didnt I wouldve lost my job.
You should've told him to go screw. Nah, I kid.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Just about 99% of customer service reps in this area have no service skills and no proper training. You go to any drive through and your order is pretty much guaranteed to get screwed up. You ask them to correct their error and their attitude changes to one that is blaming you for their mistake. I go to Atlanta or other places and do not seem to have this issue so I guess it is something in the water in my town.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I remember years ago I sat in a NYC hotel training with some asshole telling me customer service people are going to rule the world one day and make a ton of money as they will become the backbone of the company they serve.

Me being the very silent person in the face of absolute stupidity kept quiet and sat there writing notes.

Bullshit, I ended up getting in a near screaming match of how much bullshit this guy was shoveling to the people in the room and how I could teach these people way more than he could. I swear we almost took it outside. Would have been a good match too. I could not say I would win or not. I did win the argument and got the guy to admit half of what he was saying was all bullshit he was taught to say to make lowly customer service people feel better about their life and job.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM
I work in the meat department also, at a local Walmart.

The thing that amazes me the most is when 40+ year old women come up and ask me what the numbers mean on the hamburger meat... mind boggling!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Years ago I worked as an assistant manager at a Speedway gas station. One night on 3rd shift, a guy came in and filled up his car, then proceeded to get some junk food which included a bag of Krispie Kreme donuts. When I asked the guy how many donuts he had he said, "I don't know".

So I carefully opened the bag without touching the inside of the bag and looked in. I thought I counted 5 or 6 so I gave the benefit of the doubt and just charged him for 5. As soon as I punched in the numbers he got pissed and yelled at me, "There were 6 in there!!!!" So I politely asked him why he didn't tell me if he knew.

He said, "Well, I don't want these now that you've touched them." And he picked up the bag and threw them at me striking me in the chest with them! I didn't even have time to think, I caught the bag before it fell to the ground and winged it back at him hitting him in the face. He said, "What the fuck did you do that for?" I replied, "Well maybe because you threw them at me first."

He demanded to speak to a manager, so I said ok, twirled in place and said, "Hi, I'm a manager, how may I help you?" He told me just to ring up his stuff and he'd be back in the morning. Since I was already holding his credit card I told him that he wouldn't be purchasing anything but the gasoline and that if he wanted to come back in the morning, that was fine, we could discuss the assault charges I'd be filing on him. After all, I had the store video to back me up.

Good times!