Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie Normal View Post
Might be interesting if a team would go with a two QB set or change out QBs during the game. The Redskins would be awesome with this idea. Campbell is ok, but he tends to disappear for a play or two. Put Vick in for a few plays and wow, shit could happen. Portis is a quality back. This might also work for the Iggles. Philly would love Vick.
Vick would only be great for us because we run the ball way more than pass and would lighten the load on Portis a little bit. I don't see it Campbell was okay last year until the O-line got beat up the problem is other than Cooley and Moss for recievers we don't have much after that and either Thomas or Kelly have to step up this year to give Campbell another option otherwise Its going to be another year of winning games by 7 or less due to the running game and defense.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I've heard so many teams being mentioned when talking about Vick; Patriots, Bills, Jags, Miami, Raiders, 49ers, etc etc. I think it's a testament to him, that despite everything that has gone on, fans and players alike still think this guy is exciting.

It's basically a matter of when he's going to be let back into the league, not if. Goodell, between the lines, has basically said unless he comes in and says he isn't remorseful, he'll be playing again.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Quote:
The news that Jim Johnson will not return as Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator really dampens the start to their season. This is not a knock on Sean McDermott, who will now have the interim tag removed from his title, but rather a salute to Johnson. I know, the Eagles already had a plan in place in case this happened, but now that it's official, it doesn't make it any easier.

Jim Johnson has been with Andy Reid since Reid came to Philadelphia. He has been the quiet rock during Reid's tenure and his 107 victories. Reid has done many things well in Philly, but his best move was hiring Johnson, a career assistant who loved his job and did not want to ever be a head coach. The first six years of the Reid regime were a great story in Eagles history and featured a return to the Super Bowl in 2004. But since that Super Bowl appearance, the Birds have gone 33-30-1 and failed to make the playoffs twice in the past four years. With a great offseason, many feel the Eagles are primed to return to winning the NFC East and making a strong run at the Super Bowl. And then this news hits.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote in his book Outliers that there is a 10,000-hour rule involving preparation that comes with any successful person or group. No matter how talented a person might be, they must work with extreme dedication to best perform their job.

This is where McDermott is going to face his stiffest challenge as a coach -- not in knowing the system, not in understanding the system, but in reacting to what's needed from the system in the heat of battle. Football is a game of adjustments; winning football is a game of making the right adjustments. And for McDermott, that's the one phase of his preparation as a coach he could not simulate. It's an on-the-job training course.

Some might say, "Well, if McDermott went to another team, he would be faced with a similar challenge." That's correct, but having to follow in a great coach's footsteps and run his defense makes it a very unique setting. Every call, every move he makes, will be instantly compared to his old boss, which wouldn't happen in a new city. This is a great challenge for McDermott, one that will require a ton of teamwork on the part of players, coaches and staff.

Jim Johnson will be missed, make no mistake about that. He will be missed on Tuesday nights in game-planning meetings, on game days making the right calls at the right time. His sense of timing will be missed as a play-caller. Can the Eagles overcome his loss? Only time, or maybe only the 10,000-hour rule, will tell. Coaches like Johnson are difficult to replace.

We at the National Football Post continue to extend our prayers to Jim as he fights his battle with cancer. And we hope for an eventual recovery.
I am a Giant fan, but this is sad news. Jim Johnson is one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL and has been a tremendous coach for years. The Eagles will still be good, but I seriously doubt they will ever be as good as with Johnson. That man never saw a down where he did not like to blitz. His coaching is the reason the Giants won their last Super Bowl.

I wish him luck with his health.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I just saw this. Randall Cunningham was my 2nd favorite player growing up, so I've followed the Eagles for most of my life. And as a Lions fan, we're allowed to follow another team, it's a State Law. This is terrible news. Johnson was an innovater and very respected coach. I had slight hope he was gonna be able to coach this year. Hopefully the players can rally around this, and use it as motivation for the season.

I wish him the best.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:07 PM
I used to workout at this gym that was half gym and half karate dojo. The master karate guy there is this very famous (but poor) guy who used to have many of the eagles from the 80's Cunningham teams come train under him. There are tons of pics on the walls of all the players and him. The karate guy is famous for putting bicycle spokes through this skin and then suspending buckets of water from them. Some sort of Master of the Mind. He could probably kill me with his pinky, despite being half my size.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:39 PM
As an Eagles fan, that kills me. Johnson is as much a part of this great recent run as Reid or McNabb (all came in together).
Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Guess who's back...and it's not Favre..

Quote:
League reinstates QB Vick on conditional basis

Posted: July 27th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Michael Vick, reinstatement, Roger Goodell

The NFL announced Monday that commissioner Roger Goodell has reinstated QB Michael Vick on a conditional basis.

Vick will be considered for full reinstatement and will be eligible to play in regular-season games by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19). He had been suspended indefinitely since August 2007 after pleading guilty to federal charges relating to a dogfighting enterprise. He served 23 months in prison and was released from federal custody on July 20.

Vick, who’s an unrestricted free agent, can now participate in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and may play in the final two preseason games. During the regular season, Vick can participate in all team activities other than games. Vick also will be periodically evaluated by Goodell during his suspension and will be mentored by former Colts coach Tony Dungy.

Following are excerpts from Goodell’s letter to Vick informing him of the decision:

* “Among the conditions of this reinstatement, you are required to abide by the terms of the supervised release that were imposed on you by the court, which include not committing any further crime, limits on who you may associate with, prohibitions regarding drug and alcohol use, possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, and forbidding you to own, possess or be involved with the sale of any dog.”

* “Apart from these conditions, you have submitted to me a written plan concerning your proposed living arrangements, how you will manage your financial affairs, counseling and mentoring plans, and your proposed work with the Humane Society and other groups. You have committed to me that you intend to abide by this plan, and as I said when we met, you are accountable for doing so.”

* “I am also encouraged by your recognition that you cannot do this yourself, and that outside mentors and continued counseling will provide you with valuable support and assistance. After discussing possible mentors with you, I have asked Coach Tony Dungy to continue his work with you and to initiate a more formal mentoring relationship with you. Earlier today, we discussed in detail with Coach Dungy the precise nature of that relationship, and I share your view that Coach Dungy can help you in many ways as you rebuild your life and resume your career. I will stay in close touch with Coach Dungy and his views will be part of my decision concerning whether and when you return to play. I encourage you and Coach Dungy to select other mentors and advisors who can help in other phases of your life.”

* “In deciding whether to reinstate a player, I have stressed my belief that playing in the NFL is a privilege. It is not an entitlement. Everyone fortunate enough to be part of the league is held to a standard of conduct higher than that generally expected in society and is correspondingly accountable when that standard of conduct is not met. I have also endorsed an approach under which players who have been suspended for a significant amount of time, as you have been, may through a series of steps demonstrate that they have addressed their prior problems, that they can make good decisions, and that they conduct themselves in a way that is lawful, responsible, and consistent with NFL values.”

* “As I emphasized to you when we met, as I have said in other cases, it is actions that count. I accept that you are sincere when you say that you want to, and will, turn your life around and that you intend to be a positive role model for others. I am prepared to offer you that opportunity. Whether you succeed is entirely in your hands.”

* “Needless to say, your margin for error is extremely limited. I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you and to dedicate yourself to rebuilding your life and your career. If you do this, the NFL will support you.”
Thoughts?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I've been a Vick fan since college . . . we went to the same school and the things he did at the school and for the school will always make me a fan of his. I'm glad the commissioner has decided to give him a second chance; obviously the reinstatement doesn't mean his troubles are over. He still has to stay as clean as "virgin's honey potter." Plus he'll be protested every where he goes.

If he had not been reinstated, I wouldn't have been surprised. What he did was atrocious. I do think that he has been punished for his crimes and deserves to get on with his life and career. Here's hoping he can stay out of trouble (Lord knows his brother couldn't).
Old 07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Favre said no. Finally. Glad that's over. And honestly, I don't think it impacts the Vikings' chances much next season.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Let's hope it's over. You never know with him. He might change his mind during the preseason. I agree though, I don't think he would have made that big of an impact.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Jim Johnson has died of cancer at 68. What a shame. I was channel surfing and caught it on Sportscenter, they talked about it for like 15 seconds.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
RIP Jim Johnson. He was a class act. Lesser men would have taken the money to be a head coach. He stuck to what he did great.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 PM
like I said before, Johnson is a much a reason for the Eagles' success this decade as Donovan and Andy Reid. Really an unfortunate situation. Hard to express how much he meant to that franchise.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Philadelphia Eagles middle linebacker Stewart Bradley will likely miss the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament, ESPN 950 in Philadelphia reported Monday.

NFC East blog

Mosley ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Bradley suffered the injury in the Eagles' Sunday night practice, a source told the radio station, but was able to walk off the field after tackling another player.

Upset by reports that Bradley could be done for the season, Eagles coach Andy Reid said Monday he's not talking about it.

After practice, Reid criticized the media instead of discussing the injury. He said some reporters violated his "pact" with them, which Reid said dictates that reporters ask only him about team injuries, not players or other team personnel.

"We won't talk about injuries today," Reid said. "Some of your colleagues here decided that they would go to the players and/or other personnel here and ask about injuries. I made a pact with you guys when I first got here that I would disclose to you the injuries -- just stay away from the players, stay away from other personnel in the organization, and I would take care of you with that. That part was breached."

Asked why he decided to punish the entire press corps, Reid said, "That's the way it works. Peer pressure is the best pressure there is. You can work it out with your colleagues."

Reid did acknowledge Bradley's absence from practice.

"He did not practice today, and that's where I'll leave it," said Reid, who would not say when he will again discuss injuries. "When I decide that people can abide by the rules, I'll do that."

Bradley also declined to discuss the injury, deferring to his coach.

"I think he's pretty adamant about not addressing the issue," Bradley said.

While Reid and Bradley declined to talk about Bradley's absence, other players did.

"Stu was our starting linebacker, so it's a blow," safety Quintin Mikell said. "But it's the NFL. We got to have guys that are ready to step up, and I believe we have those guys."

Said linebacker Chris Gocong: "Obviously it's really unfortunate, but that's football, and you really do have to roll with the punches and stay on your toes."

Bradley, a third-round pick in 2007, had 151 tackles in his first full season as a starter last year. He's the primary signal-caller on a defense that already lost veteran safety Brian Dawkins in free agency.

Bradley's backup is second-year pro Joe Mays, who practiced with the first team on Monday. The Eagles also have veteran Omar Gaither, who started 16 games at middle and weakside linebacker during the 2007 season.

"You've got two guys that can do a good job there with Mays and Omar," Reid said. "We'll look at that as we go down the road here."

The Eagles had invited fans to attend the practice Sunday, known as "Flight Night," at Lincoln Financial Field.
Andy Reid: Fat Asshole. He is lucky to have a job. The man freezes up every year at some point(s) and forgets he needs to run the ball to win a Super Bowl. I blame and thank him for being this way and he is the reason why they do not have 2 or 3 trophies.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:05 PM
all i got to say is i can't wait till the beginning of the season, it's your only sport i enjoy following. ice hockey?

though i dislike vick because of his past i hope he gets picked up, he was entertaining

Last edited by Cosimo; 08-04-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Quote:
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Eli Manning has agreed to a new six-year, $97 million contract extension with the New York Giants that will make him among the highest-paid players in the NFL with an average salary of roughly $15.3 million, a source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Eli Manning

Manning

A person close to the talks who asked not to be identified because the deal was not signed says Manning is guaranteed $35 million under the deal which will keep him with the Giants through the 2015 season.

Manning, who led the Giants to a Super Bowl upset of the New England Patriots in February 2008 and was named the MVP of the game, was in the final year of the contract he signed as the No. 1 overall pick in 2004.

Manning took over as the Giants starter midway through his rookie season and he has led New York to the playoffs in each of the past four seasons
That is a lot of money for a guy who is barely in the top 10 QBs. I am a Giant fan and there are serious concerns if he can win without Burress.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:06 PM
This is going to be a very big and telling season for Eli Manning. Last year, we saw that without Plaxico he can get into a little trouble. No slight to the Giants, but I think their run in '07 was purely Cinderella, and while Manning was solid in that game...he hasn't show me much else to warrant such a big contract. We shall see though. I will hold full judgment until this season is over.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 PM
the contract is based on leadership and stability, plust the mark up for being the face of a New York franchise. On paper, he doesn't deserve anywhere near that kind of money.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I think you nailed it Darth, he's the face of a New York team. I don't know if he's the leader of that team, I've thought it's been the defense that's done that the last few years with Strahan and Pierce. But I don't follow the Giants, so I'm probably wrong.

I don't think his performance has justified this kind of money. Is there a performance incentive in it for him making the famous, Manning face of dissapointment, so many times during the season?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
the contract is based on leadership and stability, plust the mark up for being the face of a New York franchise. On paper, he doesn't deserve anywhere near that kind of money.
Well said. I hope his money does not impact the cap too much for other players.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankpage View Post
This is going to be a very big and telling season for Eli Manning. Last year, we saw that without Plaxico he can get into a little trouble. No slight to the Giants, but I think their run in '07 was purely Cinderella, and while Manning was solid in that game...he hasn't show me much else to warrant such a big contract. We shall see though. I will hold full judgment until this season is over.
It's not so much that he gets into trouble without Plaxico. If you look up the stats, you'll see that he did well in some games without Plax. His problem is that he can't do well in Giants Stadium when there is any kind of wind, especially in December. I like everything he does on the football field with the exception of his mechanics at certain times. This is why he struggles in the wind, he doesn't throw a tight spiral a lot of the time. Other than that he has shown to make good decisions, he makes great audibles(including when switching to run plays), he'll draw the defense offsides several times due to his cadence, and he has shown to be a clutch player.
So I guess my point is that while I understand why many people do not think he deserves this contract now, I think he has the capability to be an elite QB. The GM has said that he doesn't want this year to be a contract year for Eli, he already has enough pressure to begin with in this NY market, so he got this negotiation out of the way so Eli can focus on football. This will indeed be a telling year for him.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:09 AM
Best QB's Today in the NFL:
1.Peyton Manning
2.Drew Brees
3.Tom Brady
4.Phillip Rivers
5.Carson Palmer
6.Jay Cutler
7.Ben Rothlisberger
8.Tony Romo
9.Kurt Warner
10.Donovan McNabb
11.Eli Manning

I was more than a little stunned to hear Eli's making so much money when its his defense and running game that carried them to first place in the NFC last season.

Also surprising is the incredibly small contract that Brady plays under. As of now he makes less than Cassel....
Old 08-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith fan View Post
Best QB's Today in the NFL:
1.Peyton Manning
2.Drew Brees
3.Tom Brady
4.Phillip Rivers
5.Carson Palmer
6.Jay Cutler
7.Ben Rothlisberger
8.Tony Romo
9.Kurt Warner
10.Donovan McNabb
11.Eli Manning
I would put Rothlisberger a little higher infact my list would look like this

1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Drew Brees
4. Ben Rothlisberger
5. Phillip Rivers
6. Donovan McNabb
7. Kurt Warner
8. Eli Manning
9. Carson Palmer
10. Tony Romo
11. Jay Cutler

Palmer would be a lot higher if he was healthy he hasn't been healthy the past 2 years and Cutler has shown flashes of being good but had a losing record with Denver and dosen't have the offense with Chicago that he had with Denver it will be interesting to see how he does.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm picking the Bears to come out of the NFC. Cutler carried the Broncos last year. The reason the team lost their hold on the AFC West was due to the one dimensionality of the team. Everyone knew that Denver had no defense and couldn't run the ball, so they just guarded heavily against the pass.

Chicago nearly made the playoffs this year with Kyle Orton behind center and you're still not sure that Cutler can suceed in their system? Matt Forte was incredible last year and the defense is always impecable. I think the NFC North this year is going to look like the NFC East last year. The Packers, Vikes, and Bears are all solid contenders this year and could lead to be the most competitive division in the league.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:34 PM
In this early stage of nfl football 2009-10, I would have to say the NFC East is still the strongest division. I see the AFC north and south elite teams taking minor steps back.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
I would put Rothlisberger a little higher infact my list would look like this

1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Drew Brees
4. Ben Rothlisberger
5. Phillip Rivers
6. Donovan McNabb
7. Kurt Warner
8. Eli Manning
9. Carson Palmer
10. Tony Romo
11. Jay Cutler

Palmer would be a lot higher if he was healthy he hasn't been healthy the past 2 years and Cutler has shown flashes of being good but had a losing record with Denver and dosen't have the offense with Chicago that he had with Denver it will be interesting to see how he does.
Big Ben is playoff proven. Take Brees if you want to win in Fantasy, but take Ben if you want to win Super Bowls

Quote:
In this early stage of nfl football 2009-10, I would have to say the NFC East is still the strongest division.
If the Redskins' spending spree pays off, you're right and it's really not even that close.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 08-07-2009 at 04:49 PM..
Old 08-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith fan View Post
I'm picking the Bears to come out of the NFC. Cutler carried the Broncos last year. The reason the team lost their hold on the AFC West was due to the one dimensionality of the team. Everyone knew that Denver had no defense and couldn't run the ball, so they just guarded heavily against the pass.

Chicago nearly made the playoffs this year with Kyle Orton behind center and you're still not sure that Cutler can suceed in their system? Matt Forte was incredible last year and the defense is always impecable. I think the NFC North this year is going to look like the NFC East last year. The Packers, Vikes, and Bears are all solid contenders this year and could lead to be the most competitive division in the league.
I'm not sure Cutler will succeed because he dosen't have the recievers he did in Denver Brandon Marshall is better than anybody the Bears have and the NFC North isn't close to the NFC East the winner of that division is going to win 9 or 10 games and be the only team that makes the playoffs. you remember the winless Lions are in that division too.

The NFC East and the AFC South are still the 2 most competitive divisions in the league with the NFC South right there if is wasn't for Tampa Bay I think they are in for a rough year.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Quote:
If the Redskins' spending spree pays off, you're right and it's really not even that close.
Seriously, how stacked is the Redskins D-Line? It's sick.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicochetShaw View Post
Seriously, how stacked is the Redskins D-Line? It's sick.
I love our Defense gettng Haynesworth will really benefit the Andre Carter and Orkapo and Daniels and maybe force turnovers on defense which we have difficulty doing the past few years.

What we need is one of the WRs we drafted last year to step up either Malcom Kelly or Devin Thomas, other than Portis, Moss and Cooley we don't have many other options.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Because it has worked out so well every other time they tried this method.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
I love our Defense gettng Haynesworth will really benefit the Andre Carter and Orkapo and Daniels and maybe force turnovers on defense which we have difficulty doing the past few years.

What we need is one of the WRs we drafted last year to step up either Malcom Kelly or Devin Thomas, other than Portis, Moss and Cooley we don't have many other options.
The Skins defense should allow for a low amount of points to be scored. If the offense can score even 17 points, they should be in the playoffs. Their defense is a lot like the Ravens a few years back, like Shaw said, very stacked.

They have a lot of weapons on offense too. For receivers, I don't know why they are not better. Moss is great for long throws, Randle El is too. You have to watch for Cooley on the short throws. Like you said, Kelly and Thomas need to step up. Both could have been 1st round picks. But, they are on a team that has a lot of talent at that position.

If Fred Davis steps up too, as another threat at tight end, my god, lookout.

I do believe Campbell will be really strong this year. He has a lot to prove.

I would not be shocked to see them go to the Super Bowl, if they stay healthy that is.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
I do believe Campbell will be really strong this year. He has a lot to prove.
He's the question mark. They obviously don't have faith in him. They tried to replace him twice during the off-season, and he's clearly the weakest qb in the NFC East. I'd be worried about his head.

I think like last year, the Giants and Eagles are the cream of that division. Philly had a tremendous offseason, and although losing Jim Johnson is devastating, they're talented enough to fight through. Philly easily has the best offense in the group, and probably has the best o-line in the entire league (assuming Shawn Andrews gets his head on straight). And the Giants... I mean, they're the Giants. They were the best team in football for 12 weeks las year. Dallas' receivers are untested, and I don't think their D is good enough to play the "ball-control, power football, field position" game, which is really what their offense is best suited for (run the ball, kill clock, only throw about 20-25 times per game... similar to Pitt). But their D isn't strong enough, in my opinion. I think NFC East will go Eagles, Giants, Skins, Cowboys.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Quote:
He's the question mark. They obviously don't have faith in him. They tried to replace him twice during the off-season, and he's clearly the weakest qb in the NFC East. I'd be worried about his head.

I think like last year, the Giants and Eagles are the cream of that division. Philly had a tremendous offseason, and although losing Jim Johnson is devastating, they're talented enough to fight through. Philly easily has the best offense in the group, and probably has the best o-line in the entire league (assuming Shawn Andrews gets his head on straight). And the Giants... I mean, they're the Giants. They were the best team in football for 12 weeks las year. Dallas' receivers are untested, and I don't think their D is good enough to play the "ball-control, power football, field position" game, which is really what their offense is best suited for (run the ball, kill clock, only throw about 20-25 times per game... similar to Pitt). But their D isn't strong enough, in my opinion. I think NFC East will go Eagles, Giants, Skins, Cowboys.
Redskins:
I still say the Skins should take a long hard look at Vick. It would be a perfect fit for him. Considering he can not play for several weeks, it would give Campbell to sink or succeed. Vick would have three very able pass catchers and a great RB.

Their defense has been good for years and will be even better this year. A little iffy in the secondary to me. They have the easiest schedule in the division.

Eagles:
I don't know why do you say the Iggles have the best O line. Mainstay Runyan is gone and they still lack a good TE who can stay healthy. This line has never been the type of line to overpower people. They have never shown the ability to be the type of line that could pick up that 3rd and 1 or 1 yr td rushes. This line is good at making holes when the other team does not put 8 in the box.

There is no way they have the best offense in the East. Both Westbrook and LJ Smith have yet to show they can stay healthy for an entire year and when they get hurt the team is not as good. They have been bringing in numerous WRs for McNabb to throw to, but the coach has no idea how or when to use his weapons. Some games they can look all world and some just plain garbage. They will never be an all year offensive powerhouse with Reid as their coach.

The defense will definitely miss Dawkins, who was losing a step, but always made huge plays for his team. They will also miss Johnson more than they know. He was the heart and soul of their defense and his in game adjustments and gameplans won them 6 games a year. I believe they will take a step back and that will cost them 2 or 3 games at least.

Cowboys:
Their offense will be much better this year. Look for Romo to have a much better year without TO and by throwing to Williams and Whitten. They have a decent O line. The running game will be fine.

I am not sure about their defense. It should be great if they patched up their secondary. They have awesome linebackers.

Giants:
Best O line in the NFC and maybe the league. Jacobs needs to stay healthy or others will have to step up. WR's will have to step up to fill voids now that Burress and Toomer are gone. Running is the key to their game though.

They improved greatly in the linebacker position, which they needed. Their secondary should be better with more experience now. They have one of the best if not the best def line in the sport with a now healthy Osi to give them lots of depth. Pierce will be better now that he is out of trouble. He had a lousy second half, because of Plex.

They have one of the toughest schedules on paper right now. Doesn't help when your whole division is the toughest.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 AM
The reason I say the Eagles have the best offense in the NFC East is because last year, they were 9th overall in total offense and 6th in total points. The Giants were the only team in the East ahead of them, at 7 in total offense 3rd in points, but having Plax skewed their numbers (couple 40 point games early in the season). Plus, the Eagles have vastly improved their offense. They added Jason Peters (the best left tackle in the entire league... don't know if you had the chance to watch him in Buffalo, but he's incredible), and also Stacy Andrews, and they're getting Shawn Andrews back (All-Pro in 2007, only played 2 games last year). That improvement to the o-line, plus drafting Maclin (on some boards, a top 10 talent) and McCoy (finally a legit RB to spell Westbrook, which should keep him healthy), gives them the best offense in the East in my opinion. And to be honest, I don't think it's all that close.

I agree with you on Dallas and Washington. But I think Dallas' D is awful, and since they're clearly shifting their offensive philosophy (more run-based), I don't think their D is good enough to keep them in the playoff hunt. Washington really comes down to Campbell and if Portis can stay healthy. Both tough teams, but not as good as Philly or the Giants.

I think the Giants and Eagles are on a different level than Dallas and Washington. They might be the 2 best teams in the NFC. I like Philly's offense much more. But the Giants have the better defense. You're right in saying the Eagles will miss Dawkins. Possibly the smartest safety in the league, and I don't think Sean Jones can replace him. It'll be a hotly contested division all year.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:17 AM
Go Lions!

*cries*
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I predict the Lions will have at least 4 wins this year.

Quote:
Donte' Stallworth has been suspended without pay for the 2009 season, the NFL said Thursday.

Stallworth, who pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter in Florida in connection with an accident in which he struck and killed a pedestrian, will be reinstated after the Super Bowl in February 2010, the league said.

I find it sad that the NFL has to be the one to really punish Stallworth, rather than the law.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Quote:
I predict the Lions will have at least 4 wins this year.

I find it sad that the NFL has to be the one to really punish Stallworth, rather than the law.

The Lions are goin 16-0 this year. Stafford to Calvin all year.

Considering Stallworth killed someone, he should be lucky it's only a year. Sad thing is, a team will probably sign him.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Quote:

I think if Malcom Kelly or Devin Thomas step up as a #2 reciever Campbell could have a really good year being in the same system for another year and a contract year helps

Now I was going to wait until my predictions to go into detail but why wait

Giants - Were the best team for 12 weeks last year until Burress shot himself and the offense wasn't the same after that unless someone else steps up which wasn't the case at the end of last year I can see the Giants possibly tumbling this year.

Eagles - Lost quite a few players on defense in the off-season and while Desean Jackson could be a #1 reciever they still lack one and even though McNabb was healthy pretty much last year him and Westbrook have problems staying healthy I actually do believe they have the best offense in NFC East but not by a lot.

Cowboys - I still say Romo isn't as good as he was perceived to be by the hype machine and it has been proven in big games where he comes up short Roy Williams has to step up, the secondary which has been crap for years has to be better and they have to win in December 3 things I don't think happen.

Redskins - getting Haynesworth was to help the secondary which has been used as part of the blitz for the past 4 years drafting Orkapo the hope is that is frees up Andre Carter and creates more turnovers which we have lacked for the past 4 years although we did a better job at it last year than in previous years unless Kelly or Thomas step up to be a #2 reciever.

I think the Cowboys are the weakest team in this division I could make a case for any of the 3 teams to win the division it wouldn't surprise me Washington, Giants and Phily all end up with 9 or 10 wins.

And BTW we did beat Phily both times last year
Old 08-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by labialover View Post
Considering Stallworth killed someone, he should be lucky it's only a year. Sad thing is, a team will probably sign him.
I actually think it's sad that Vick got a bigger sentence than Stallworth but I think it's sad that the NFL punishment is bigger than the jail sentence which was a joke.

and isn't he still under contract with Cleveland even after this year?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I am tired of reading stories of how Vick is going to sign soon. Wait until he signs and then write stories every fucking day. Dungy has a comment everyday, like Vick is his kid or something.