Old 08-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Y! The Last Man (Reading from the Beginning!)

This was one of those series I'd read about (random spoilers and all) but didn't read enough of really. So I decided to wait until the series was over and read it in trades. I picked the first volume up yesterday and almost missed my freakin' bus stop reading through it.

This seems like one of those series that if it had been published in prose form, it might be hailed widely as fantastic literature. But it's a comic, so... I dunno. Am I wrong with that line of thought?
Old 08-09-2008, 07:22 PM
i dunnno really but its a great story. I have all 10 tradesand enjoyed pretty much all of the story.

enjoy the read
Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Just ordered the first two trades. I'll drop back in and discuss the first with you after I read it.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm at the bit when he reunites with his mom and their hiding from the gun-toting Republicans.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
I'm at the bit when he reunites with his mom and their hiding from the gun-toting Republicans.
"But its just a bunch of house wives with rifles, they can't take the white house!"
"hey the Canadians almost burnt it down back in the 1800's"

love that line, or how ever it goes
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
"But its just a bunch of house wives with rifles, they can't take the white house!"
"hey the Canadians almost burnt it down back in the 1800's"

love that line, or how ever it goes
LOL
Commentary<3

It's kinda corny but I liked when she locked him in the "Ike Bunker" and:

Yorick's Mum: I'm sorry, I can't let you do anything stupid up there.
Yorick: Oh my God, she's going to do something stupid up there.

LOL I'm a sap.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:22 PM
That's awesome Tweek. I'm almost finished with the book. I just read Vol. 7 during my lunch break. It's such an addicting read... I've got the last 3 volumes waiting for me to read at home. It's such a good book. Every time I finish a volume, I can't wait to see what happens next.

I agree, it would have gotten a lot of praise in prose form. The closest thing I story I can think of to Y is Children of Men only Yorrick is Kee and the story is very different, but similar in a few aspects. Either way, Y has become one of my favorite comics and Children of Men is one of my favorite films, so I win! haha
Old 08-19-2008, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
Either way, Y has become one of my favorite comics and Children of Men is one of my favorite films, so I win! haha
You tell 'em!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:15 AM
i can't wait till you guys get the serires done, i need to discuss book 10 with someone bad lol
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm going to finish Vol 10 tonight after I get back from a show.

Christ on a cross! I'm hearing Shia Lefuck is going to play Yorrick Brown? There's no way I'd ever believe him as an English Lit. major. Sorry, but he's a terrible actor that Hollywood wants to shove down our throats. If he plays Yorrick, consider my interest in the film to be zero. DJ Caruso is pedestrian too. The best thing he did was the Salton Sea and I'd give more credit to the solid script that Tony Gayton wrote.

Shia... damn, why does Hollywood insist on pushing these fucking Hollywood babies as the next big thing? He sucks at being dramatic and he's not funny one bit.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:57 AM
Damn. That book broke my heart. It was fantastic. It was perfect. I loved every issue. But it had such a melancholy ending. I'm not going to spoil anything (definitely not for you Tweek), but something about it really tugged at my heart strings.

I'm actually sad it had to end.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:16 AM
Awww.

Well I couldn't imagine that it was going to end on an upbeat note. lol

But I'm quite glad you enjoyed the whole series.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
Damn. That book broke my heart.
fucking right eh?

And Tweek, it does end on an upbeat when you look at it as how far the World has come since the Gendercide but its heartbreaking in some spots for the characters.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I think starting next month, I will buy the trades in twos, perhaps. I'm a slow reader and stuff. (Or maybe just slow...Nyuk nyuk nyuk.)

I just read past "I might be a cunt...But you're a bitch!" Using that one.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:19 AM
I dig that they seem to be giving 355 a personality. She's not just an unstoppable killing machine. She can knit!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 PM
She also gets one of the best punch lines that I never expected Brian K. Vaughn to write after Yorrick asks if she is in love with him. It truly was funny and perfect for that moment.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 PM
I didn't read any of your posts because I don't know what the ground rules are in here and I don't want anything spoiled.

Just finished reading Cycles, and I'm really diggin' this shit. I'm not absolutely blown away at this point, but I rarely am two trades in. It'll be a few days before the other trades show up (finished reading Cycles, closed it, walked over to the 'puter, ordered trades 3-6).

I'm not a huge fan of Pia Guerra's pencils. It reminds me a lot of Steve Dillon's work. All the characters have bland, interchangeable faces. It's not quite as bad as Steve Dillon, but a few rungs below that level of anonymity that bothered me so much while reading Preacher.

Not taking me out of the story any.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:47 PM
finished book its amazing i feel this movie should be rated r cause there is alot of nudity lolol its not ultra violent at all but certain parts of the book need to be R like for instance showing all the men's carcasses laid all over the streets to drive home that yorrick all thats left only 1 thing that kinda left we wondering is what happens to the israelis
Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Just finished Safeword with mixed feelings. Really disliked the latter portion of Small Step with the traveling theater troupe. The whole thing felt like filler and the ninja was a little too outlandish.

This series is pretty damn good and at times downright brilliant, but often takes the readers patience for granted.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Anybody else follow through with this?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Not me. Not yet.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:51 AM
I loved the first 4 trades or so.
But then after that, I realized that it was a lot of filler, with no real "story". Yorrick goes from one situation to the next, with tons of false alarms and no reveal to what's really going on.

I lost faith after trade 7 or so. I still kept reading up to the 8th trade. Then, I was like "this fucking sucks!"

I skimmed through trade 9. I still hated the stupidity of it all. I never got to the last trade, and I don't care if I do or not. I then read a couple weeks ago the wiki on the conclusion, and I think it's bullshit that they leave the reasoning behind everything "ambiguous". In this case, it's not creative storytelling, it's a cop-out to not having to explain yourself in a way that says "I don't know WHAT was going on. So, I guess I'll just make it possible that there are several different ways in which people can predict the scenario(s)."

Lazy writing, IMO. It was great at first, had oodles of potential and then threw all that down the shitter by the time it was halfway through.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:32 PM
I think ultimately a lot of the characters were wasted.

Specifically...

*SPOILERS*

Hero. I think they should have stuck with Hero being the villain. The whole sister vs. brother dynamic was awesome, and she was probably the most interesting character when she was all crazy and shit.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:50 AM
I finally got a copy of Volume 2. I'm enjoying it so far...especially now that Victoria got an axe to the head... I left off a few pages after that. I was expecting something to happen, not that. I love Brian K. Vaughn for that moment. Really.

EDIT:

"Forget it, Jake. It's Marrisville."

Oh, I hope LeBeouf backs out of the movie and someone less bland takes his place.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 AM
"I may be a cunt but you're just a Bitch!"

great line, heh
Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Goddamn it...I started Volume 3. The issues are too short.

"Is it important? I'm brooding." I might use that when I answer the phone.

Quote:
"I may be a cunt but you're just a Bitch!"

great line, heh
The Victoria character reminded me of why I dislike extremism.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:42 AM
After several years reading on and off, I finally finished it tonight in a marathon session. I was confused with some stuff that happened in the last chapter, but I love the series. It's not as epic as Preacher is but it'd make for a great movie and I actually endorse Shia Lebouf as Yorick. I could see it working
Old 03-21-2009, 03:00 AM
I'm hoping LeBeouf is a pleasant surprise. I'm on issue 19 so far. The stuff with that acting troupe was WEIRD. Could they have been any more self-referential? I liked the end of the arc. ("No offense... but your play sounds like a piece of shit.")
Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Quote:
I'm hoping LeBeouf is a pleasant surprise. I'm on issue 19 so far. The stuff with that acting troupe was WEIRD. Could they have been any more self-referential? I liked the end of the arc. ("No offense... but your play sounds like a piece of shit.")
heh i usually skip those 2 issues with the acting troupe when ever i reread through the story, they just are not that interesting. I thought the whole bit about not being able to open the jar of what ever it was just cause her husband wasn't around to do it anymore was hilarious.

Oddly enough though they appear again in i think book 8 or 9 or so as well as several other minor characters that Yorrick meets along the way like the "Super Model Dead Guy Garbage Truck Driver" and the transvestite that yorrick meets before getting on the train that one time.

Actually the now that i think of it the acting troupe part isn't too bad as his encountering them plays a sort of important part in the next trade.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:09 PM
So I have many issues because of...um...a torrent. I read eleven yesterday because I haven't been feeling well and I was bored. I'm on 32.

"Safeword" was er...interesting. lol
Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Quote:
"Safeword" was er...interesting. lol
heh, wasn't it though lol
Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 AM
I wonder how many times Dr. Mann will call Yorick a "retard". It's not very nice. hehe
Old 03-28-2009, 05:28 AM
I need a, how you say, life. I've been reading since last night and I finished the series. I feel like the biggest geek ever, but whatever.

Quote:
fucking right eh?

And Tweek, it does end on an upbeat when you look at it as how far the World has come since the Gendercide but its heartbreaking in some spots for the characters.
Yeah, I definitely see what you mean now. It was definitely heartbreaking. There were some tears in my eyes when Ampersand died, for example. I'm not afraid to admit that.

Great! What series do I binge on now?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 AM
yeah i was all like "OH MAN, are you serious!?! Damn...."

As for series to goto now, if you can stomach it i'd say Preacher as it's great, but aside from that i can't think of any series in particular. Though i've been wanting to get into Fables cause i hear thats a good one.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm re-reading the series. I'm on Issue 14 now.