Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 02:06 PM

Awesome book..can't wait until the sequels come out in 2010/2011...Was it just me or did this book not give off vibes of Blade II which Del Toro also directed?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Cowboys and Aliens

Hello. New here and a little off-topic since I haven't read this yet, but I did buy it today after reading an article about the script being written and people involved like: Ron Howard, Spielberg and Downey Jr.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen, 1811)

A pretty tough read in my opinion but it's actually very good. Have to say I wasn't expecting the happy ending.
8/10

The Punisher: Welcome Back Frank (Garth Ennis & Steve Dillon, 2000)

For the sake of having a major Jane Austen contrast, I've started reading the Punisher series again (I've had the final volume for about a year now but haven't yet read it). Garth Ennis is the perfect writer for this character and Dillon's artwork also suits the series really well. Lots of aspects of this comic were used for the movie that came out in 2004 and I wish they had actually used the Russian character the way he is used here, but I suppose finding a tough guy who didn't have to talk was easier. This is the most outrageous, violent fun you'll ever have with a comic book and I seriously recommend it for all graphic novel fans.
10/10

The Punisher: Army of One (Garth Ennis & Steve Dillion, 2002)

The next volume in the series is just as fun and crazy, the highlight has to be the way in which Frank finally disposes of The Russian. The subsequent issues have a serious tone, doesn't ruin the book though.
8/10
Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 AM
The Punisher: Business as Usual (Garth Ennis, 2003)

Another good bunch of stories, team up with Wolverine was the highlight though.
8/10
Old 08-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Eat This Not That

You can learn a lot those who are fat fuckers.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 PM

10/10
So now Ive read all the Harry Potter books all the way through twice with the exception of Goblet of Fire
Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 AM
The Punisher: Full Auto (Garth Ennis, 2003)

Slightly colder/darker tone in this one.
7/10
Old 08-15-2009, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen, 1811)

A pretty tough read in my opinion but it's actually very good. Have to say I wasn't expecting the happy ending.
8/10
!!1!!1??!!!

A man who actually ENJOYED a book by Jane Austen?! Lords be praised!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagia_Romero View Post
!!1!!1??!!!

A man who actually ENJOYED a book by Jane Austen?! Lords be praised!!!
Hahaha.

I was expecting some dull romantic tat to be honest "Oh I love Lord whatshisface, but shall I marry?". However the twists in the story were well executed and I really liked Elinor, one of my favourite female protagonists.

Persuasion is the next one I'll read, I'll get round to P&P sometime.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Hahaha.

I was expecting some dull romantic tat to be honest "Oh I love Lord whatshisface, but shall I marry?". However the twists in the story were well executed and I really liked Elinor, one of my favourite female protagonists.

Persuasion is the next one I'll read, I'll get round to P&P sometime.

That's the thing though, when people hear of Victorian, Edwarian or Georgian era books, they automatically assume that type of story, but you will find that is not always the case. 'North and South' by Elizabeth Gaskell is a great story about the birth of industry and the hardships of North England as opposed to the genteel South. There is a love story, but that is not the main focus. If I may impart another recommendation, try some books by the Bronte sisters, such as 'Jane Eyre' and one of my faves, 'Wuthering Heights'.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
First Potter I've read, largely because I liked the movie of Half Blood Prince so much that I wanted to know what happened next. I think it will be a better movie than it is a book. The story rattles along well enough, but Rowling's style is a little basic for my liking - I know, it's for kids, but still, I found it rather dull stylystically.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagia_Romero View Post
If I may impart another recommendation, try some books by the Bronte sisters, such as 'Jane Eyre' and one of my faves, 'Wuthering Heights'.
Oh I'm keen to check out Wuthering Heights so that's first on the list once I've read all these classics in preparation for Uni (and 100 Bullets which has finally finished it's run).

Until then, the Punisher series continues...

The Punisher: Streets of Laredo (Garth Ennis, 2004)

Main story involves the vigilante taking on gun runners in the desert. Highlight has to be him asking out Elektra though.
8/10
Old 08-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Jim Butcher has created a very refreshing character in his Dresden Series. Harry Dresden felt like such a real character to me and it was really refreshing. What I mean by real is that he had flaws that gave him a unique personality that seemed far from the norms of the usual hero. Add a fun/real character with a very unique and original story an Storm Front made for a very enjoyable read. This book was very easy to read and by easy I mean I had no problem sitting down and reading 50+ pages at a time and still wanting more when I put the book down. The story is not overly deep (but there is a lot of potential to flush out Dresden in future books) but it just flowed so well together that I read the entire book in only 3 sittings. The action is well written and plentiful and the "universe" that Butcher has created is very imaginative and just flat out fun to read. I will definitely be picking up the next in the series and am very excited to read more about this world Butcher has created full of vampires, wizards, demons, and much more.

4.5/5
Old 08-18-2009, 09:57 AM
The Punisher: In the Beginning (Garth Ennis, 2004)

This is when Ennis decides to make the series even more extreme than it already is, adding bad language/sex slang as well as making the comic more of serious character study than fun action story. It was a great decision and this perfectly sets up the kind of graphic direction that Ennis wants to take with the character.
9/10
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM
I read the first two vol. of the Criminal series. Coward, and Lawless, by Ed Brubaker. Got 'em for $10 each.

These books are right up my alley. Dark character study's of criminals, sorta low end criminals, who are stuck in "the life" for life.

Really excited to read Vol. 3 and more Ed Brubaker stuff.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 PM
The Punisher: Kitchen Irish (Garth Ennis, 2005)

Another decent yet gruesome story/commentary involving the I.R.A. that all comes together very well at the end.
8/10
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Criminal Vol. 3: The Dead and The Dying

This is another great crime book. It's split into three stories and is set in 1972, with flash backs to 1967. All three stories are connected and all the characters crossing over. The first one is about a boxer named Gnarly who is also in the first two Criminal volumes. Maybe a little bit over written, but I've yet to read a comic that doesn't have that minor problem.

9/10
Old 08-21-2009, 10:16 AM
The Punisher: Mother Russia (Garth Ennis, 2005)

Frank has been sent by Nick Fury to go to Russia to save a little girl with a virus. Good action and story and yet another satisfying ending.
7/10
Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 PM
The Stand by Stephen King

Finished earlier this week while on vacation, and holy shit was that badass. It was just so...cool. Especially at the end, it's just too epic. And it's also terrifying how meticulously he did this. Really, I can just imagine King sitting in a room with a typewriter and a million different maps with different routes and pushpins all over all of them with piles and piles of notes and chronologies and outlines and all this shit. I mean my god writing this must have one motherfucker of an undertaking.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:59 PM
The Punisher: Up is Down and Black is White (Garth Ennis, 2005)

A psycho gangster who escaped Castle's wrath returns to challenge him. Punisher goes even madder than usual and gets laid in the process.
9/10
Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 AM
The Punisher: The Slavers (Garth Ennis, 2006)

The Punisher takes on a group of Eastern Europeans running a prostitution/slavery ring in New York. This is definitely as dark as the series/character ever gets, some of the slavery experiences described are very upsetting and The Punisher's kills are more chilling than ever too...but you have to be on his side of course.
9/10

The Punisher: Barracuda (Garth Ennis, 2006)

After the incredibly depressing slavery story line, Ennis goes back to the fun ultraviolence of the character by creating his best villian. Barracuda is a strong and violent yet crazy and hilarious hitman who is let loose on Frank Castle. The fight in part 3 is brilliant.
10/10
Old 08-24-2009, 10:24 AM
The Punisher: Man of Stone (Garth Ennis, 2007)

Kind of a 'loose ends from the other storylines' story in which The Punisher takes on a couple of villians from the Mother Russia volume and meets up with his old 'girlfriend' in the process.
7/10
Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Mop Men: Inside the World of Crime Scene Cleaners
by Alan Emmins

interesting book mostly focusing on a San Francisco based company called Crime Scene Cleaners who clean up after suicides and murders. lotta gruesome stuff like old ladies getting dragged by trucks and larvae hatching on decomposed bodies
Old 08-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Barracuda (Garth Ennis, 2007)

Ennis decided to give the epic villian his own mini-series, very fun and actually more outrageous than I expected.
8/10

The Punisher: Widowmaker (Garth Ennis, 2007)

A group of women The Punisher widowed decide to take him on, Frank gets help from a 'female Punisher' with a dark past.
7/10
Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 AM
@Natty

Thank you for posting all those Punisher reviews.
Since I am a huge Ennis fan, I would like to start reading the Punisher series. Is the order you posted the comics, the order I should follow or can I just jump in between the books?
Just asking, because some of the comics are a lot cheaper at the moment here in Germany than others. Guess it depends at which dollar rate they were imported.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 PM

Last edited by Cronos; 08-27-2009 at 01:27 PM..
Old 08-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
@Natty

Thank you for posting all those Punisher reviews.
Since I am a huge Ennis fan, I would like to start reading the Punisher series. Is the order you posted the comics, the order I should follow or can I just jump in between the books?
Just asking, because some of the comics are a lot cheaper at the moment here in Germany than others. Guess it depends at which dollar rate they were imported.
Yes the order in which I posted them is the correct order especially for when the series becomes an 'explicit content' one as the same characters/storylines come up. For the books before 'In the Beginning' it doesn't matter so much.
There is one in between 'Streets of Laredo' and 'In The Beginning' that I don't have, so I know what you mean about some being difficult to get.

Also Argonaut, I recommend you read The Punisher: Born which I didn't actually review, if you read in between 'Streets of Laredo' and 'In the Beginning' that would be best. It's the best Ennis has written and essential to understanding the character and the last book.

Ennis is a great writer, I haven't actually read any of his other stuff but I'm pretty keen to.

Let me know if you get/enjoy any of them.

Last books:

The Punisher: Long Cold Dark (Garth Ennis, 2008)

Barracuda returns to fight The Punisher in revenge for 'beating him'. He has also has huge suprise that both shocks and (for the first time) frightens the ultimate vigilante.
10/10

The Punisher: Valley Forge, Valley Forge (2008)

The last book Ennis wrote. In order to bring down Frank Castle a group of generals give him a target he can't kill...special forces troops with a mission to capture The Punisher.
9/10
Old 08-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Thank you for the explanation. I just ordered Punisher: Born and Punisher: The Beginning. The "normal" series (not the Max one) is hard to get atm.
You should give the Preacher series a chance, if you like Ennis´work.

This is the one I just finished reading:

The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye

10/10

An awesome start into a hopefully great whole series.

Last edited by Argonaut; 08-28-2009 at 10:17 AM..
Old 08-29-2009, 03:39 PM
The Wizard Of Oz - 3/10
That was abysmal.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM

The Big Sleep By Raymond Chandler

The P.I. has to be one of the best way of depicting the hardships of humankind in fiction storytelling.

10/10
Old 08-31-2009, 01:18 PM
^^^

Saw the film for the first time earlier today. Good stuff, will have to read one of his novels some time.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:47 PM
ENDER IN EXILE - orson scott card - 4/10

I was bored through almost the entire first 3/4ths of the book. Then, it started getting somewhat interesting, but not enough to redeem itself.
Worst Card book I've read, and the absolute most unnecessary book in the Ender series.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Quote:
^^^

Saw the film for the first time earlier today. Good stuff, will have to read one of his novels some time.
Yeah, you should check out Chandler. The book(s) are nothing like the Hawks movie, witch I'm not a big fan of (huge Hawks fan though), its much darker and more about Marlow and his struggles, than some star-fucker, bullshit plot.

Finished these over the past few days-

The Hunter: A Parker Novel
Wow, that was really great, I read it in two sittings, not that its long or anything, but I couldn't put it down. If you like crime, gangsters and Noir, check this out.
9/10

100 Bullets Vol. 2: Split Second Chance
I was kinda disappointed with this one. I loves Vol. 1, and I did like 2, but I was just less into it, and a little lost with all the "Minutemen", and Agent Graves. I have the next two coming in the mail, so hopefully there really good.
7.5/10

Scott Pilgrim Vol. 4
Is it possible to hate something while loving it at the same time? Cuz that's how I feel about Scott Pilgrim.
8.5/10
Old 09-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp2005 View Post

100 Bullets Vol. 2: Split Second Chance
I was kinda disappointed with this one. I loves Vol. 1, and I did like 2, but I was just less into it, and a little lost with all the "Minutemen", and Agent Graves. I have the next two coming in the mail, so hopefully there really good.
7.5/10
YES! I've been wondering if there is another schmoe out there who reads the awesomeness of 100 Bullets. In my opinion it is one of the greatest works of crime fiction ever, in any medium.

Stick with it, Volume 3 is an improvement but the whole 'Minutemen' story does expand and get more complicated. I stopped reading at Volume 4 years ago but eventually started again and got up to Volume 7 before stopping again. That was about 2-3 years ago and I have now bought all the Volumes (13) and can't wait to start reading it as a complete story.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Right now I'm taking a break from The Walking Dead. Made it to the 5th trade, and I think that one took an emotional toll on me I wasn't expecting, so ill let that one settle before picking it up again.

i picked up the Bullets trade and loved the first one, I think it'll be great to read through and then go back and read them again in one go.

Hopefully 2&3 will arrive tomorrow so I can read them on the weekend.

Aren't late summer days just made for reading.......
Old 09-03-2009, 06:40 PM

8/10
Old 09-07-2009, 11:55 PM
A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin (9/10)
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM

I am now prepared.

5/5
Old 09-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Another very fun Dresden Files book. The number two in the series is even more action packed than the first. These are just flat out fun reads. A great mix of horror, fantasy, and mystery. This book focuses on some brutal attacks taking place around the city during full moons... guess what might be doing that. What I like about Jim Butchers first two books is that he uses old lore to build his stories then incorporates some of his own myths to the subjects. The main character, Harry Dresden, is such a great character in the fact that even though he has supernatural powers he still comes off as a very real character that readers can connect to. Really enjoying this series so far.

4.5/5
Old 09-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Defoe, 1719)

Brilliant novel (and apparently one of the first ones). In case anyone doesn't know what it's about it's basically the original cast away. At first you can't put the book down, but drags on a little once Crusoe is on the island (one assumes that's the point, your boredom reflecting his). Towards the end it gets really great, functions as a good adventure novel and a deep exploration of man's duty and relationship to nature and God.

9/10