Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Juno: Keepin' it Real?

This thread was sparked by a discussion in the Jennifer's Body thread. Is Juno realistic? Is the dialogue cringe-worthy? And what about Jason Bateman hitting on her at the end? WTF?!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Realistic? In some ways. I knew a lot of girls who were very similar to Juno in their personality, tastes and in some ways liked to use the same kind of puns in their speech. But mostly, no, it's not realistic.

Does that matter? Fuck no. The characters are well written and intriguing, the dialogue is intelligently written and fun, the story line is both though provoking and at times very touching and overall it's just damn fine movie as a whole.

I don't go to movies just to see realism. I go to movies to watch a fucking movie, whether it's realistic or not.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:33 PM
No and no.

No, it's not realistic. But no, I don't find it to be cringe-worthy either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSimen View Post
Yeah, and she actually looked past that damn fear and made an intelligent decision rather early on in the movie. That doesn't happen often. Especially not with teen pregnancies.
The scene where she and Bleeker are arguing about prom was later on in the movie and that was out of anger and yes that damn fear. You don't have to cower in a corner or whatever to show fear. People deal with it in different ways, sometimes hostility and lashing out. She was showing fear after leaving Mark and Vanessa's when she was bawling in her car (or van, I don't remember).
Juno was a sold indie-flick with some crisp dialogue but it was not realistic, naturalistic or insightful. It clearly wasn't meant to be.

It was okay. It will never be anything more than okay. But that's okay.

Okay?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSimen View Post
Realistic? In some ways. I knew a lot of girls who were very similar to Juno in their personality, tastes and in some ways liked to use the same kind of puns in their speech. But mostly, no, it's not realistic.

Does that matter? Fuck no. The characters are well written and intriguing, the dialogue is intelligently written and fun, the story line is both though provoking and at times very touching and overall it's just damn fine movie as a whole.

I don't go to movies just to see realism. I go to movies to watch a fucking movie, whether it's realistic or not.
Yeah, I loved Juno. Infact, I was actually underwhelmed with it the first time I saw it. I liked it but not loved. But it has since grown on me and I actually love it now. Definitely in my top 10 of 2007.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
The scene where she and Bleeker are arguing about prom was later on in the movie and that was out of anger and yes that damn fear. You don't have to cower in a corner or whatever to show fear. People deal with it in different ways, sometimes hostility and lashing out. She was showing fear after leaving Mark and Vanessa's when she was bawling in her car (or van, I don't remember).
Yeah, but the only judgement she let that fear cloud was her ability to connect with Bleeker. That's it. Other than that, she was able to be fearful and still make intelligent decisions regarding how to deal with her pregnancy, as well as how to deal with other situations she found herself into.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:25 PM
The point of movies is to be entertaining not realistic. I for one enjoyed Juno thought it was very funny and it was because Juno was such a interesting unconventional character.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 PM
like Reigh said, Juno was OK.

i dont see why everyone praises it for being realistic/ great writing.
Well maybe i do, i think its supposed to be realistic in that Juno does give up the baby, 'because that's what she do irl' or something along those lines. But to me, trying to make it realistic this way just made it seem...strange.

The dialogue was pretty good and there are some funny moments and characters, but other than that it felt a bit uneven and a lot of plot threads are extraneous and never really tied up well IMO.
its a 7/10 for me
Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
I hate Juno. I find the dialogue cringe worthy in the extreme. It felt incredibly forced in the writing and delivery. It seemed like Diablo Cody was saying "Look! I'm writing witty teen dialogue!! Isn't it soooo cool!"

Not to mention I felt they could have done waaaay more with Juno and Bleekers relationship. That could have been the heart of the film but it was merely an afterthought.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:26 PM
"Honest to blog"?!?

More like:

When Keepin' it Real Goes Wrong
Old 09-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
"Honest to blog"?!?
Okay, that was a line that made me want to hurl my TV out of the window. I was trying to remember but failed.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:34 PM
"Phuket, Thailand"

The delivery was also pish.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty_86 View Post
The point of movies is to be entertaining not realistic. I for one enjoyed Juno thought it was very funny and it was because Juno was such a interesting unconventional character.
Ouuuuuu, that's a bingo!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Thundercats are go!

the dialogue is pretty awful but otherwise I really liked Juno. Bateman and Garner's relationship in the movie is definitely realistic and one of the best parts of the film.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:34 PM
I enjoyed Juno, but it really made me dislike Ellen Page. I feel like I see Juno in every role she plays, and it bugs me.

Hopefully Inception will change my view of her.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:06 AM
When I watched it I kinda liked it. The more thought I've given the film since then, specifically the dialogue, especially "honest to blog" (the typing of which gives me physical pain) the more I dislike the film. Watched a few clips since then and the writings just horrible.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm still waiting for Diablo Cody to get off her ass and call back Jared Hess so we can finally have that Juno Meets Napoleon Dynamite movie.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I know a girl who quotes Juno dialogue quite often and she uses, "Honest to blog" on occasion. Luckily she's an acquaintance and not a friend, so I'm not around her that often. However, whenever I am she never misses a moment to steal dialogue from that film and fit it into the situation. It drives me bonkers!

Then again, I'm a guy that takes every opportunity, when they arise, to quote The Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading, and Heavyweights. I guess that makes me equally annoying? Ah, screw it.

EDIT: I agree that "Honest to blog" is possibly the worst line from that film. It makes me flinch, cringe, and grind me gears all at the same time.

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 09-19-2009 at 06:21 PM..
Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 PM

It shouldnt of won ANY Oscars at all.

I still cant believe this little film was up for so many Oscars and Fincher's Zodiac was shut out. What a load of shit.

Juno tried waaaaay too hard to be a cool, indie, hip film. It annoys me that so many people ate it up at the theaters but oh well.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
I'm still waiting for Diablo Cody to get off her ass and call back Jared Hess so we can finally have that Juno Meets Napoleon Dynamite movie.
What about Juno and Napoleon Dynamite Meet Frankenstein?
Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
It shouldnt of won ANY Oscars at all.

I still cant believe this little film was up for so many Oscars and Fincher's Zodiac was shut out. What a load of shit.

Juno tried waaaaay too hard to be a cool, indie, hip film. It annoys me that so many people ate it up at the theaters but oh well.
Preach.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:15 PM
HONEST TO BLOG
Old 09-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Bahs, you silly-billy!
Old 09-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes. It's called being posh and they exist.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:07 PM
I knew a girl ten years ago that talked exactly like Juno. I had no problem with it.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:32 AM
No "Megan Fox is hot" posts yet?

You've let me down, schmoes. Tut tut, I say.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:40 AM
I enjoyed Juno; the story was well presented, and Ellen Page gave a really good perfomance.

But there's no way in hell that dialogue is realistic. Overall, I had no problem with it, but some lines came off as forced and annoying.

Yes, the much maligned "Honest to blog!" is the first one I thought of. But there are others, mostly at the very beginning of the film. Stuff like "This is one doodle that can be undone, home-skillet" (What the hell is a home-skillet?) or "What's the prognosis, Fertile Myrtle" just sounded unnatural and fake. Coincidentally, both came from Rainn Wilson, who annoyed the hell out of me in his cameo.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I hated it as soon as I saw it, The dialogue made me roll my eyes.

They tried to mix real life situations with cheesy unrealistic dialogue, and it was a massive distraction and annoyance. They tried to make you feel for the characters and then they would throw in a shitey stupid line like fucking 'honest to blog'.

Fuck you Diablo Cody, Terrible writer.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Despite some hitches in the dialogue department, I thought Juno was a pretty damn good movie.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 PM
I suppose I didn't find the dialogue to be realistic, but I wouldn't necessarily use that as a judgment of whether or not I enjoyed it...

... Just as I can appreciate Tarantino dialogue for its novelty (and not necessarily realism), I appreciated Juno for it's "cutsy-ness."... if that makes any sense. I especially enjoyed her father's line having to do with finding the person who always thinks the sun shines out of your ass... some things just make you smile, real or not.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I hated it as soon as I saw it, The dialogue made me roll my eyes.

They tried to mix real life situations with cheesy unrealistic dialogue, and it was a massive distraction and annoyance. They tried to make you feel for the characters and then they would throw in a shitey stupid line like fucking 'honest to blog'.

Fuck you Diablo Cody, Terrible writer.
Yes. What Heisenberg said.
Cody tries too hard to be witty and unique. It just comes off pretentious and, as OP said, very cringe-worthy.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
But let's be real, if not for that "annoying" dialogue, Juno would be just another half-assed Lifetime Original Movie if even barely an after school special. Sorry but I don't see these sorts of estrogen laced teen peril films because I want to keep it real, I see them because I want a piece of entertainment. If I want to get off of a slice of real life, I'd spend my days volunteering and subsequently jerkin off in the corner of a planned parenthood building. You want an example of unrealistic dialogue, tell me how many times you've talked like Tyler Durden without emulating fight club, because of course, it's totally realistic for professional hetero guys to give each other baths and talk about how women are evil. Yeah, that's makes a lot more sense than a 15 year old making a one liner that's groan inducing. Everyone has convinced me as much as Paris Hilton has convinced me that she doesn't suck dick. And that shit is honest to blog. But hey, I better keep it real, and mention that the first rule of commenting on Juno is that you didn't comment on Juno, or maybe I should keep it real and draw a gun on my friends while screaming "What's so funny about me?"

Yeah, everyone who dislikes Juno totally does because of its realism.