Old 12-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Schmoes Choice for Game of the Year 2009

Resident Evil 5 [PS3]

Being a huge fan of the franchise since day one, this game really delivered for me. Everything from graphics and sound to the gameplay to the cut scenes and boss battles were beyond awesome for me. I enjoyed the new characters introduced as well as the returning favorites. Unlike the previous games in the franchise, I got a sense of finality when I finished the game. Whether Capcom decides to continue the story or start from scratch, I'll be there for Resident Evil 6.

==================

Runner up: Batman: Arkham Asylum [PS3]

Simply the best comic book based video game I've ever played.

==================

So what's the top game for everyone else?

Last edited by Joe Scorpio; 11-10-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Old 12-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Uncharted 2
Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Assassin's Creed II
Old 12-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are my considerations.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 AM
i'm not that qualified to judge. i only played a few, and only played maybe two all the way through, but i would say.

Uncharted 2
Batman: Arkham Asylam
Left 4 Dead 2
Old 12-03-2009, 02:58 AM
Uncharted 2 - without any kind of doubt.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 AM
Haven't played too many new ones this year, but I have to go with Batman: Arkham Asylum. Too many moments of giddy geek pleasure.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:15 AM
played many fewer games this year than in the past, so I don't know how credible my opinion is, but I'm inclined to go with Uncharted 2 (inspired choice, I know).

Biased part of me feels the need to mention Arkham Asylum. Beatles Rock Band, and Wii Punch Out.

Street Fighter IV would be up here too if it weren't so frustratingly hard.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Not just for the fact that it's the first great Batman game (hell, it's the first really great superhero game in my book), but for the fact that for my money no other developer this year put so much love and care and geekiness into their game. Sometimes a shorter, near perfect game is better than a thousand games chock full of length.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Its funny how no one is mentioning Modern Warfare 2. Is it because its not as big an impact as MW1, or the other games are just better.

I really liked Arkham Asylum, and I don't have a PS3 so I haven't played Uncharted.

But my favorite game by a million miles is Street Fighter 4. Logged like 500 hours. I wish I knew someone that plays SF4 in real life, so I wouldn't have to deal with the serious lag issues online, even when you have a real good connection its still not perfect, and it is such an exact game that it becomes unbearable.

Can't wait for Super Street Fighter 4 in the spring.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:14 PM
As much as I'd love to play MW2, I simply chose to plop down 60 bucks on a few games as opposed to just one. Even then, I still doubt I'd find it as awe-inspiring as Arkham Asylum. From what I've heard of the campaign (i.e. using shock tactics repeatedly until they lose their value) it'll mostly be a pure multiplayer game for me, even moreso than the first.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm gonna go with Batman: Arkham Asylum because it was honestly the best game all around. The controls, graphics, story, and characters were all done with great caution and detail. A lot of love went into the making, and it wasn't just made to make a quick buck, yes I'm looking at you Modern Warfare 2.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:17 PM
uncharted 2

shout out to machinarium though

have yet to play spirit tracks and assassins creed 2
Old 12-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Enviro-Bear 2000.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 PM
For me, It has to be Modern Warfare 2.

I don't agree with what Jig Saw said about it being made purely for the cash. It's better than the first, the story is as strong as the first. The levels are pure chaos, on an epic scale to boot. I for one don't think this was a 'quick buck' project.

Another one I will throw in there is an unusual choice...FIFA 10, the best football game ever, a masterpiece of a sports game.

I played a bit of Assasins Creed. Felt EXACTLY the same as the first one, I aint buying it.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 PM

Hands down.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Does this include games that were released late last year? Like Christmas time?

If so I'd say Wrath of the Lich King for sheer massive amount of gameplay. But single player would be Resistance 2.

But if not... well I think this year probably has the very least video games played by me in my entire life. The only games that I bought that were strictly released in 2009 would be Ghostbusters for PS3 and Dragon Age: Origins and the very disappointing Resistance Retribution for PSP.

My inner gaming child is probably crying right now, but that little bastard never had to work for a living and pay for his video games!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden_208 View Post
As much as I'd love to play MW2, I simply chose to plop down 60 bucks on a few games as opposed to just one. Even then, I still doubt I'd find it as awe-inspiring as Arkham Asylum. From what I've heard of the campaign (i.e. using shock tactics repeatedly until they lose their value) it'll mostly be a pure multiplayer game for me, even moreso than the first.
Well, if my opinion counts for anything, after finishing the campaign I set down the controller with a shit eating grin on my face and the same lump in my gut I have after exiting the theater following a truly great movie experience. My euphoria after beating MW2 mirrored my feelings during the exit music of IB. I wouldn't exactly call that a 'quick buck' move on Infinity Wards part.

People keep complaining that the campaign was too short, but for me it felt like playing a 90 minute action movie. I don't want my action movies to drag on and feel redundant, I want a vicious sucker punch to the jugular. In that respect, MW2 delivered in spades.

For instance, I just beat Uncharted 2, and around the beginning of the 3rd act all the spectacular set pieces began to feel redundant and lose all meaning. Around the 50th time someone nearly falls but is caught at the last second by a companion, I rolled my fucking eyes. And I continued to roll them the subsequent 50 times after that.

Modern Warfare 2 is most definitely the winner here. I mean...

Spoiler:
..when Soap and Price are speeding along that gorgeous Afghan river and that amazing Hans Zimmer score kicks in, how can you not immediately give this game the gold?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:45 AM
I'm about halfway through ARKHAM ASYLUM and am pretty much loving it a lot.

So, yeah... BATMAN. Wow. A comic book game is a favorite of the year for me. Dang.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Arkham Asylum was absolutely amazing...except for a few things...

I wish it were longer...I was so wrapped up in the amazing story and graphics, that i had it beat in about 2 days...

also, the replay value is ok...at best...I would love for some multi player with Batman characters from the game (and some that weren't)

And finally, for such an amazing story...the final battle was BAD!

my vote would have to go to MW2 as of right now...amazing story, graphics, gameplay and multi...I haven't beaten it yet, so i can't speak on that...but from what i have played so far...this game fucking rocks...polished shiny.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
For me, It has to be Modern Warfare 2.

I don't agree with what Jig Saw said about it being made purely for the cash. It's better than the first, the story is as strong as the first. The levels are pure chaos, on an epic scale to boot. I for one don't think this was a 'quick buck' project.
The story for the first game was at least more realistic in its scope and structure, Modern Warfare 2 features battles in space, nothing seems consistent,but the multiplayer is a hell of a lot better than that of the first game.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
The story for the first game was at least more realistic in its scope and structure, Modern Warfare 2 features battles in space, nothing seems consistent,but the multiplayer is a hell of a lot better than that of the first game.
Have you actually played the game? There's a 20 second segment in space, and it involves no 'battling' of any kind..
Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
Well, if my opinion counts for anything, after finishing the campaign I set down the controller with a shit eating grin on my face and the same lump in my gut I have after exiting the theater following a truly great movie experience. My euphoria after beating MW2 mirrored my feelings during the exit music of IB. I wouldn't exactly call that a 'quick buck' move on Infinity Wards part.

People keep complaining that the campaign was too short, but for me it felt like playing a 90 minute action movie. I don't want my action movies to drag on and feel redundant, I want a vicious sucker punch to the jugular. In that respect, MW2 delivered in spades.

For instance, I just beat Uncharted 2, and around the beginning of the 3rd act all the spectacular set pieces began to feel redundant and lose all meaning. Around the 50th time someone nearly falls but is caught at the last second by a companion, I rolled my fucking eyes. And I continued to roll them the subsequent 50 times after that.

Modern Warfare 2 is most definitely the winner here. I mean...

Spoiler:
..when Soap and Price are speeding along that gorgeous Afghan river and that amazing Hans Zimmer score kicks in, how can you not immediately give this game the gold?
As amazing as the Modern Warfare 2 campaign was, it was definitely a bit slapdash and haphazard in parts. It's epic as all hell, but it sometimes hard to follow what exactly is going on. And Uncharted 2 has the impact of incredible characters. Sure, the characters in Modern Warfare 2 are badass (Captain Price and Soap definitely get the awards for Badasses of the Year), but it's like Gears of War. They're big and tough, but don't really have a lot of characterization. I've never loved a character so much as I've loved Nathan Drake (or Elena, or Chloe, or even Sully for that matter). I personally never found the action in Uncharted 2 to be redundant. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Oh yeah, and my picks for Game of the year and runner ups:

Game of the Year

Uncharted 2

Runner Ups

Batman Arkham Asylum
Assassin's Creed 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Borderlands
Modern Warfare 2
Resident Evil 5
And once I actually start playing Dragon Age again, it's probably going to be part of the list.

Last edited by dfd3657; 12-07-2009 at 12:46 PM..
Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I played a bit of Assasins Creed. Felt EXACTLY the same as the first one, I aint buying it.
You clearly need to play the game more, then, because once you get more into the game, you'll realize how much they've improved the fuck out of the first game. Never once did I think "God dammit this is so fucking repetitive" like the first one. For one thing, Ezio is SUCH a better character than Altair. That twat had NO characterization. And the story mission structure is better in every regard (because they don't have you just running around to assassinate 7 or 8 guys); I was actually excited to see where the story goes next. And the dual story is amazing. I can't wait to see where they go with the second game.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Wow, even though I don't have the game as yet, I'm falling in love with New Super Mario Bros. Wii

The game is easily now on my list of best games of the year.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 PM
borderlands
assassin creed 2
Batman-arkum asylum
GA-Metallica
Halo-ODST
Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Tough choices here..Here are my considerations for the GOTY for 2009

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Batman: AA
Left 4 Dead 2

I do not have a PS3 so I can't put Uncharted 2 into my category. I should beg my brother to pick up both the first and second one.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Veering a little off topic here but this year only reminds of me how awesome 2008 was for gaming, to me it was to gaming what 1999 was to movies. I mean, let's like what all came out last year:

Grand Theft Auto 4
Metal Gear Solid 4
Little Big Planet
Gears of War 2
Fallout 3

Sure, we got some decent games this year (Modern Warfare 2 and Uncharted 2) but this year pales in comparison to the continuous blockbuster stream we had last year.

Anyways, my pick for game of the year would be Uncharted 2 as of right now, haven't had the chance to play Arkham Asylum or Modern Warfare 2 yet.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Don't own a PS3, so my list is Xbox biased:

CoD:MW2 - Finished it 3 times, love Spec Ops, and I'm actually playing MP!
Batman: Arkham Asylum - Amazing game... even tho I can't see myself playing it again.
Shadow Complex - Best down loadable game for sure... or any game for that matter.
Left4Dead 2 - even tho is sux as a single player game compared to the first
Assassin's Creed 2 - still playing through it off and on
Halo:ODST - surprisingly, since I'm NOT a Halo fan

Haven't played Borderlands yet, but with all the Fallout 3 comparisons, I can't see liking it too much. FO3 is boring as shit.

Disappointments:

NFS:Shift - just another Sim racer, nothing more
Operation Flashpoint - again, unless you're playing co-op... pointless
Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_Darko View Post
Don't own a PS3, so my list is Xbox biased:

CoD:MW2 - Finished it 3 times, love Spec Ops, and I'm actually playing MP!
Batman: Arkham Asylum - Amazing game... even tho I can't see myself playing it again.
Shadow Complex - Best down loadable game for sure... or any game for that matter.
Left4Dead 2 - even tho is sux as a single player game compared to the first
Assassin's Creed 2 - still playing through it off and on
Halo:ODST - surprisingly, since I'm NOT a Halo fan

Haven't played Borderlands yet, but with all the Fallout 3 comparisons, I can't see liking it too much. FO3 is boring as shit.

Disappointments:

NFS:Shift - just another Sim racer, nothing more
Operation Flashpoint - again, unless you're playing co-op... pointless
Trust me, Borderlands is anything BUT boring. The ONLY valid comparison to Fallout 3 is the pseudo-post apocalyptic setting. It basically plays as if Diablo 2 were an FPS with the CoD control scheme. It's addicting as fuck.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Assassins Creed 2. I've yet to play a game this year that even reaches it's greatness.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxManShoes View Post
Veering a little off topic here but this year only reminds of me how awesome 2008 was for gaming, to me it was to gaming what 1999 was to movies.
Best gaming year was either '97 or '98. I'm inclined to go with '98:

Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Xenogears
Pokemon on Gameboy (yeah, I said it... it's a great rpg, sorry)
Turok 2 (any one remember that game?)
Parasite Eve
Baldur's Gate
Gran Turismo
Half-Life
Tekken 3
Starcraft

That will never be duplicated. I feel 2008 was the best since then. 2009 was pretty disappointing, although sports franchises really stepped their game up (Madden 10, NBA 2K10, Tiger Woods 2010, and Fifa 2010 are freakin INCREDIBLE)
Old 12-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Turok 2 (any one remember that game?)
CEREBRAL BORE. It's still my favorite weapon out of any game I've ever played.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Parasite Eve
They really need to make a 3rd in that series. I loved this franchise.

They also need to make a sequel to Shadow Of Rome. Online and multiplayer in the arena would be insane!

Also, Blue Stinger on the DC was alot of fun. Why ot make another...
Old 12-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Where the heck is the battle in space for MW2? I've played Campaign 3 times and failed to go through a level in space!

GOTY: Tie between Uncharted 2 and MW2
Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Mass Effect. That gets GOTY every year. 'Nuff said.

In all seriousness, I'd have to go with either Batman or Shadow Complex (someone else played this?! YAY!!!).

I haven't played CoD:MW2 yet or Uncharted 2. Both games will be coming my way next week for my birthday. Yay! I will surely update this list after that fateful day.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Uncharted 2. Seriously, the game is just fucking EPIC. EPIC. Beyond belief.

The train mission alone. Amazing.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 AM
1. Assassins Creed II

2. Batman: Arkham Asylum

3. Borderlands

4. GTA IV: Ballad of Gay Tony

5. FIFA 10
Old 12-12-2009, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8byrant View Post
Where the heck is the battle in space for MW2? I've played Campaign 3 times and failed to go through a level in space!

GOTY: Tie between Uncharted 2 and MW2
Que? There is not space battle. The only section is space, is
Spoiler:
the interactive cut scene when the nuke goes off, and creates the EMP
... that's it.

The Borderlands/Diablo comparisons also shy me away. I used to be a huge RPG fan, but now, that stuff bores me to shit. I'm still going to pick it up, but I'm not in a huge hurry.

Been hearing decent things about The Sabatour... hmmm.