Old 12-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Blu Ray question

we got a free blu ray player with our tv a month ago. I picked up Hangover last week, it took long ass time to load, but eventually played. It said something like "low signal," which i don't even understand, are blu ray players connected to the net?

Ok, so i buy District 9 today, try 15 times, player can't read it. I assume i got a dud disc. Bring it back, and get a new one. Player can not read it.

Did I get a dud player? what the hell is going on? I watched Hangover on it, and a regular dvd loaded no problem.

thanks
Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 PM
My copy loaded fine.

You may have gotten a player that is a profile 1.0. Meaning it will not play all new Blu Ray movies. What is the brand and player number?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Also check the player's firmware. You may have to download the latest version.

I believe this is the cause of your problem.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:58 PM
my player is in the living room, no where near a pc, how do i download on a blu ray player? i have no clue. thanks

Last edited by Conz; 12-22-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Old 12-22-2009, 09:39 PM
If you give us the model it will help out. But you should be able to load the firmware upgrade onto a USB drive and then plug that into your BDP.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Look up your blu-ray model on the internet and search (as stated before) for a firmware upgrade.
If anything, start with the brand name. On the back there's probably a listing of the model #. Go to that brand name's site and look for updates there.
Or, google "[brand name+model #] firmware update".
If there's no memory stick slot, use a normal CD and it will load and install the firmware.

However, many cheap blu ray players are stuck in whatever firmware version it came with (probably v1.1) and don't even provide the ability to upgrade. If it's some cheapy POS, then you may be SOL.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
i had no idea blu ray involved upgrading and computer hook ups, kinda pisses me off to be honest with you.

it's a Sharp, not sure the model
Old 12-23-2009, 01:59 AM
I can never tell if Conz is fucking around or is serious.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conz View Post
i had no idea blu ray involved upgrading and computer hook ups, kinda pisses me off to be honest with you.

it's a Sharp, not sure the model
Welcome to the new age of EVERYTHING relying on internet.
If there was this much access to online hookup 13 years ago, DVD would be the same way.
It's just like the newest-gen game consoles. Shit REQUIRES online access for firmware updates and patching newly released buggy-ass games. That used to be a GOOD THING about consoles vs. PCs is you didn't have to deal with that shit.

That's just the way it goes.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
I can never tell if Conz is fucking around or is serious.
ha, sadly im not here

this is the model Sharp Aquos hp-17. I'm sure it's gonna be one i can't upgrade b/c PC Richard gave it to me with the tv.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I do have to something add on top of this....now I've always wanted to get a blu ray player, for the specific reason of playing Region A.

But alot of people always complain about the loading times, even for Sony/Pana players, and yet with the PS3, this is hardly ever an issue, maybe the odd time when it gives you the warning at the start, but thats like maybe a minute at most.

Is the PS3 just a superfast player or am I just not getting the Blu's that take a while loading?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:18 AM
ok, got the upgrade from the website and it works now. thanks for a heads up, truly had no clue you had do stuff like this. appreciate it
Old 12-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Awesome! How did you end up getting it from the net to the BR player?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphist0 View Post
I do have to something add on top of this....now I've always wanted to get a blu ray player, for the specific reason of playing Region A.

But alot of people always complain about the loading times, even for Sony/Pana players, and yet with the PS3, this is hardly ever an issue, maybe the odd time when it gives you the warning at the start, but thats like maybe a minute at most.

Is the PS3 just a superfast player or am I just not getting the Blu's that take a while loading?
The PS3 is a 2x player, so it does handle loading times much better. On top of that (this is just a GUESS), I think it utilizes a lot of the console's power/memory options to store memory required to view menus and shit much better than a standalone player.

As for slower loading blu-rays... I think CARS takes a while. But the number one most BULLSHIT loading time is hands down TERMINATOR 2 - SKYNET EDITION. I kid you not, it took almost 10 minutes for that shit to load on my standalone player.
I usually don't have that many complaints with the wait time, but fucking T2... I even told people NOT to buy it because it took so long. I literally sat down, unwrapped and ate and entire Mondo burrito from Taco Del Mar, and kind of "zoned out" a little before the menu loaded on that fucker.

It's even mentioned on a review in high-def digest:
Quote:
Oh, and a note to Lionsgate and any future producer of a 'T2' special edition: can we please stop with the overdone menus and endless THX and DTS logos!? This damn disc not only takes forever to "load confidential Skynet information" before booting up, but the menus are ludicrously arcane with their cluttered graphics and weirdly-labeled subsections... and that's before you start the movie, after which you have to sit through another endless series of logos. I found it all supremely annoying.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 12-23-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
Awesome! How did you end up getting it from the net to the BR player?
little flash drive
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 PM
how often do you all have to update firmware during the year. just wondering.

it's because HP lap top is not making me happy. They need to better job of getting their firmware up to date for their blu-ray drive.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:13 AM
I think I might get maybe 2 or 3 a year. It's always to play new titles. I really don't get why this hasn't been standardized yet - I mean, why distributors for movies are changing the requirements.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 PM
true that. it sucks. this is my first time dealing with not able to watch a movie because of firmware. Its just my lap top. Its weird. I can play MI 4 on blu-ray rom but it does not play sherlock holmes 2. that movie can play on my cheap lg player im confused. why can't studios put the firmware on the major blu-ray disc like when avengers. I assume the firmware on most players are the same.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Well I got a Phillips Blu Ray player as an early birthday gift. It costed 59 bucks or so. So will it be alright to play. Phillips BDP2900 it is-so will it be alright to play new blu ray movies. I mean I bought Camp Nowhere and that played quite well and fast. I mean its a new blu ray player-first one to be exact and camp nowhere is a classic movie. Also its hooked up to my tv and whatnot and I tested it with a dvd and it played the movie well. And I checked blu ray also plays normally.

So will new films be alright to play on it? I plan to buy the Lorax in August in the blu-ray/dvd combo pack. Also Project X maybe too if I got some left over cash from the state fair.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:00 PM
make sure that the firmware is up to date. if the firmware is up to date the player should play the movie. connect your player to the internet to see if there is an update if you can't just go to philips website and download the file on flash drive. it's a pain in the butt but it's necessary
Old 06-17-2012, 12:29 AM
I wonder. I don't have money for a WIFI USB adapter since their pricy-So what if persay if I used a LAN port cable from my desktop to plug into the back of the blu ray player just to upgrade the software after setting up internet connection. Think that would do the trick? I mean it should work considering it is hooked up to the internet and i don't use my desktop much except just to print out stuff or schoolwork and its the summer time.

So if by using a wired connection like the one I got plugged into my desktop which is connected to a router-I can access the internet for just awhile there to set up a connection and then upgrade my software for the Blu ray player. I mean its much cheaper that way than just having to go out and buy a new Lan port cable. I mean hey it saves money and it helps upgrade my blu ray player when it needs updating-SO everybody wins.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Also I like to update that I tested out the LAN port cable I use for my computer and tried it on my blu ray player-Total success and it established quite well. Hehehheeh its amazing and saves on money.

Also I'll be sure to check the phillips website in case too. Maybe I can try to put the update on a usb drive-but I have no clue how that works.:Sweatdrop: I mean how do you use usb drives?

By the way I checked my blu ray player. The Phillips BDP2900 was made this year in 2012 and from what I checked its user guide was established in March meaning this blu ray player was made 3 months ago and is brand new. So it has all its updates so far, but if needed I will be sure to download them onto my blu ray through connection.

Last edited by magipink1; 06-17-2012 at 12:50 AM..
Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM
what i used was a normal USB flash driver those are decently priced. my blu-ray was cheapie with no internet connention. so I just used a normal flash drive and it work just as fine

btw..that good that you got everything worked out
Old 06-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Thank you. I kinda did some research last night even looked over the manual. Still it was pretty easy and the only trouble when using the cable is moving the tv, blu ray player box and cable box close so I can hook up the cable when to establish internet. :3

But anyway yeah I kinda worked out the tinks ya know.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:51 PM
you may still need usb flash drive. most blu-ray live sites require that you have usb flash hook up for saving crap or saving your spot when you stop the movie.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Its cool. I don't save stuff on there or whatnot. I just only need to update the software. i don't use the internet on blu ray players.

I choose internet on laptop and desktops