Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 AM
Need Sensible/Constructive Advice Please

I need your advice on something. I figure that a fair few of you have some dealings with websites. Both frequenting them and making them. It doesn't matter which it is, but what does matter is this. That a lot of you can offer me up some good advice on this issue. As some of you may or may not be aware of, I have a gifs blog that I made in August of last year. And I've just bought a domain name for it. Sweet. I am more than happy with my purchase. However, this new domain name which cost me very little was my second preference. It is...

www.moviegifs.net (thats what i bought )

Now. my first choice was/is www.moviegifs.com (already taken )

Here's my dilemma. The www.moviegifs.com domain is up for offers/sale. And get this. Offers of over $600 are what it starts at. Alot, huh? I have already made an offer of a starting point at $605. Yes, I can afford it easily. Remember, I live in Australia, and $600 U.S works out to be about roughly $800, give or take. I want this domain name bad. But should I pay up to what may be as much as $1000 U.S dollars for a simple site name?

What say you?

Should I just stick with my www.moviegifs.net? ($7/year)

Or bid on the .com domain? If I successfully get the .com, then after that it will only cost me about $10 year to own.

Yes, I am crazy. But my gif animations site will be superb once it's had a couple more years of blood sweat and tears poured into it. Eventually, it will be moved from the blogger hosting as well. We all have to start somewhere, right? And seeing as I love to make the humble gifs, this is what I want.

Advice please!

Last edited by God of War; 01-09-2010 at 02:41 AM..
Old 01-09-2010, 02:43 AM
Save your money, and buy yourself something nice. You all ready have people familiar with your gif blog, and with the other one sitting around, it'll get google linked down into oblivion.

I always feel like there's something more classy about .net domain names, but that's not sensible.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
Save your money, and buy yourself something nice. You all ready have people familiar with your gif blog, and with the other one sitting around, it'll get google linked down into oblivion.

I always feel like there's something more classy about .net domain names, but that's not sensible.
Many thanks for the input, dude. What do you mean by 'google linked down into oblivion'? And so you think that my .net domain name purchase is ok? $7/year. Hmmm... over $600 is crazy, isn't it?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:53 AM
I just mean that it's going to sit there with a "buy this domain" thing when people click on it, and in turn they are going to end up on yours. I doubt anyone is going to buy it to provide what you are providing. Maybe I'm still not making since, but I'm just saying that I think when people put "movie gifs" into Google, your site is going to keep coming up ahead of that one since you are God of War, the gif master, and the other one is an abandoned domain.

All in all, at $600 US, or what you were saying 800-1000AU, I really don't see the point in switching it just so you can have the commercial domain name. Maybe their is something I'm missing to the appeal, but the bottom line is that moviegifs.net is the premiere gif hosting site at the moment, and there's no reason to change the name. I can't recall any examples, but I have quite a few sites I've been to with .net or .org domain names, and from time to time I'll accidentally hit .com, and end up at the wrong place (usually something for sale) and just be like, "Damn, I'm at the wrong place."

People are coming to your blog for the gifs, not the domain name. Again though, I might be missing what your reasoning is for wanting the .com, but I'm feeling like it's just because you think it's easier to remember or sounds catchier.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:59 AM
Now how come when I go to moviegifs.net, do i get a for sale web page, and moviegifs.com is a site with movie gifs.

I'm not understanding what I thought I understood about your situation here.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Now how come when I go to moviegifs.net, do i get a for sale web page, and moviegifs.com is a site with movie gifs.
www.moviegifs.net

'This Domain name is registered and parked with Crazy Domains' (me)

Which means it takes at least 24 hours to transfer over.

Moviegifs is nothing to do with gifs. It's some dvd rental site thingy. lol

Quote:
I'm not understanding what I thought I understood about your situation here.
No, it's all good. And, dude. You are right. Screw that zillion dollars .com name. I am very happy with my new name. You tha man. Many thanks. I just needed someone with more (ok, much more) common sense than me in something like this. Thank you so much. You've no idea how much stress you've relieved me of (ok, that sounded bad )

Thanks, Bubba.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 AM
And you weren't missing anything. I just always thought that a dot.com url was the best way to go. But you're right. Content is the order of the day. You can have the coolest site name. But it it aint shit if it's got nothing good in it I guess