Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 12:17 PM
You mean the leader of the Nazgul the Witchking . I agree he went down faster than a cheerleader in a men's locker room , but that was a minor complaint for me . It was the overall war for Middle Earth and the struggle for Men and Hobbits ( the Elves were leaving for Valinor , some merely stayed to help the Men and Hobbits or to be with a loved one ) to survive the onslaught of fell beasts where the real stakes were felt .

I disagree about the wide eyed looks , that's where most of the tension was felt , the prospect of their world being destroyed and taken over by Sauron and his minions , i imagine , would have scared the piss out of anyone .

When they faced danger , the reactions were priceless , love the scene in the tomb of Balin , the setup , the suspense , and everyone's reaction , especially Gandalph , he knew how precrious the situation was when Pippin knock over the armor and alerted the orcs to their presence . That's only a small example of the tension that pervades throughout the series and it increases as the story goes on , culminating at the gates of mount doom .

There is nothing in the Hobbit to rival that , thematically or in a narrative sense . The Hobbit was always meant to be the introduction to the events that would shape the 3rd age , a sort of side story to the Lotr , at least that's how i see it .

Sure , we'll see Mirkwood forest and the attack of the Spiders that lurk there ( precursor to Shelob ), the battle of the 5 armies with the Eagles and such ( see how it leads into what happens in Rotk with their saving of Frodo and Sam ), we'll see Smaug attack Laketown , we get to see dwarves arguing with each other , we get Bilbo wandering around the interior of the Misty Mountains and outsmarting Gollum ( and later on he outsmarts Smaug in the Lonely mountain), this will all be terrific , but it's anticlimactic .

There's no doubt , the story itself is a more intimate affair because the group is together most of the time , unlike Lotr where they split after Fotr and finally reunite in Rotk , but The Hobbit , in a narrative sense , should be experienced first .

Hope that Gandalph and Saruman battle with Sauron thing is true , man that sounds so sweet .

I'm confident , we'll get more than what's in the books , unlike the Potter series , Pj isn't looking to take things out , he adds them
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
That's actually a big reason why i'm looking forward to it more than i did with the LotR. In my opinion they overdid the stakes with LotR at points, for example (and forgive me because i suck with names in this universe) but the way they introduced that huge fucker in Return of the King seemed incredibly forced to me. They get Gandolf to say something along the lines of "Impending doom! They haven't unleashed their most vicious creature imaginable!" a five minute long tirade building up the "bad assery" of some guy only to have the daughter of the king beat it's ass in a second to have a corny 'i'm a woman!' line thrown in. For the full experience, the LotR films really beat the "impending doom" drum like a dead horse over and over again. We get it. The shit is serious. But that didn't stop Gandolf, Argorn or Frodo from widening their eyes every ten minutes and acting like they didn't have a clue as to how serious the stakes were until just that second.

I expect comedy in The Hobbit. I'd like to see the production value and attention to detail in middle earth in a capacity other than building up to the next battle sequence.
I don't think you can blame Jackson entirely for that. That's just the way Tolkein wrote the books. He did overdo certain things, and his dialogue bordered on atrocious at times. As for the characters' reactions, heck, I'd probably be the same way. It's one thing to talk about impending threats. It's a whole different thing to see them in person.

As for comedy, I hope Del Toro doesn't overdo it (and I don't think he will). The tone should be lighter than LOTR and Pan's Labyrinth, but definitely more serious than the Hellboy films.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
You mean the leader of the Nazgul the Witchking . I agree he went down faster than a cheerleader in a men's locker room , but that was a minor complaint for me .
Has no one seen the extended cut? He whoops up on Gandalf and breaks his staff.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I have no idea why that was taken out of the theatrical version , that scene was / is an instant movie moment classic . It was a double edged sword , it showed just how powerful the Witchking was but in light of that he was underutilized and i agree , he looks like even more of a wussy when Eowyn takes him down . Some of these complaints are because of the book , not Pj , like someone has mentioned .

I still would have loved to see way more of the Witchking laying some leader of the nine beatdowns on everyone
Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 PM
"The Hobbit" is a go!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090908/en_nm/us_hobbit_1

Good news. It was probably only a matter of time, really . . . but still, it's good to hear.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Old 09-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I was beginning to think this would be one of those high-priority films that everyone wants to see happen but never gets made. Like Sin City 2.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
I was beginning to think this would be one of those high-priority films that everyone wants to see happen but never gets made. Like Sin City 2.
yeah, but does Sin City 2 have Peter Jackson behind it?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
Unfortunately that's looking like it's going to be the case.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090908/en_nm/us_hobbit_1

Good news. It was probably only a matter of time, really . . . but still, it's good to hear.
Great to hear. I figured both sides would settle at some point, but I'm glad that dispute is over and done with.

Now, on to the casting...
Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
at comic-con, Jackson said they needed the studio to green light the films that week when they turned in the first draft, he said things about production such as the announcements on casting and crew would come along "in about two or three months". Which puts us where we are today.

*Fingers crossed that they consider Martin Freeman for Biblo"
Old 09-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Apparently, Bilbo's birthday (in the Middle Earth universe) is September 26, so I would look for a casting announcement that weekend.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Chace Crawford for Bilbo
Old 11-15-2009, 11:29 AM
This is no doubt the most anticipated 2 movies of the next decade. My only problem is I'm clamoring for news and the crap is only coming out in a trickle! What gives? Of course I'm saying this now and will be beaten over the head with it over the next 3 years.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:34 PM
So where the hell are the casting announcements? Jeebus Christy.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:40 AM
There's a rumor circulating that Brian Cox is under consideration for the role of a dwarf (Thorin maybe?).

http://screenrant.com/hobbit-casting-rumors-rob-34440/
Old 11-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Brian Cox would be awesome in a movie like this.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Man are they draggin' ass on this or what? Hell, more info. was leaked during Watergate than this frickin' picture! How about a little juicy tidbit?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Cant wait for this one to come out
Old 12-01-2009, 06:10 PM
I want to see them shroud this production in as much secrecy as possible. I don't even want to know who gets cast until the trailer is released.

I want to go in totally stone cold sober spoiler free. I'm sick of all these details coming out 2 years before a film is even finished, it only ruins the experience. I trust they will do something great, im done for awhile in this thread.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
I want to see them shroud this production in as much secrecy as possible. I don't even want to know who gets cast until the trailer is released.

I want to go in totally stone cold sober spoiler free. I'm sick of all these details coming out 2 years before a film is even finished, it only ruins the experience. I trust they will do something great, im done for awhile in this thread.
I kind of agree. The less I know about a movie, the more excited I am to see it. I'm not the least bit bothered that they haven't announced any casting or any other details about the movie.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, I can sort of agree to an extent on this. However, just a few up to date tidbits would be nice. Let's not hide everything.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 AM
I really hope it's not Martin Freeman or James McAvoy like so many of you want. They just seem like uninspired choices to me. I want another Heath Ledger as the Joker sort of announcement..
Old 12-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
I really hope it's not Martin Freeman or James McAvoy like so many of you want. They just seem like uninspired choices to me. I want another Heath Ledger as the Joker sort of announcement..
I think Martin Freeman would be a great choice. I think Simon Pegg could pull it off too (though I doubt that will happen). I wouldn't mind a "dark horse" or an out-of-the-blue if in the end it turns out to be an inspired casting. I was wrong about Heath Ledger as the Joker, that's for sure.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 PM
a guy in on the casting has said Tom Waits is a near lock for the film

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43285

fucking a. Del Torre, Brian Cox and Tom Waits on The Hobbit? I'm all over this film, and i never really cared for the other films.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
a guy in on the casting has said Tom Waits is a near lock for the film

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43285

fucking a. Del Torre, Brian Cox and Tom Waits on The Hobbit? I'm all over this film, and i never really cared for the other films.
Waits definitely has the look of someone who is from Middle Earth. This doesn't excite me as much as as the Brian Cox (unconfirmed) news though.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 AM
So I heard this got delayed a year
Old 12-06-2009, 10:41 AM
According to The One Ring.net, Peter Jackson is still pushing for a Christmas 2011 release date. As for Tom Waits...just what do they have in mind for him? A role as one of the dwarves? Perhaps as Smaug himself?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Driftwood View Post
According to The One Ring.net, Peter Jackson is still pushing for a Christmas 2011 release date. As for Tom Waits...just what do they have in mind for him? A role as one of the dwarves? Perhaps as Smaug himself?
I'm curious about that as well. Other than the voice of Smaug, or maybe the Goblin King, I'm having a hard time picturing him as anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post
So I heard this got delayed a year
Not according to Peter Jackson: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/12/...comment-205977

Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
While McAvoy remains my top choice, I would be completely fine with an unknown. Who would your off-the-wall pick be?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Off the wall? When you said that, the first person that jumped into this mixed up, mashed up mess that is my brain was none other than...Bruce Willis.

You said off the wall.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corran horn
I'm curious about that as well. Other than the voice of Smaug, or maybe the Goblin King, I'm having a hard time picturing him as anyone else
I also thought of the Elf King, Thranduil (Father of Legolas) as a possibility or the Master of Laketown. The Goblin King would be great as well. Thinking out loud...his voice would be great for Thorin Oakenshield. Just thinking out loud.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Driftwood View Post
I also thought of the Elf King, Thranduil (Father of Legolas) as a possibility or the Master of Laketown. The Goblin King would be great as well. Thinking out loud...his voice would be great for Thorin Oakenshield. Just thinking out loud.
The master of Laketown is a possibility, but I'm not too sure about Thranduil. Last I heard, Doug Jones (GDT's answer to Andy Serkis) was angling for the role. Hopefully, we'll find out for sure soon after the new year.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Some words from GDT himself:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009...liable-source/

I've read elsewhere that casting has begun, so that means we should be hearing about who'll be playing Bilbo, Thorin, etc sometime after the new year.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I wonder what the big announcement that is to be made on Dec. 15th by the LOTR/Hobbit folks is all about? Anyone have an clues?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Freeman and McAvoy? two bland actors. I don't have a better choice but those two guys are horrible.

I'm most excited about Smaug.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 AM
I wonder if they'll re-title it, so it has better marketability. "The Lord of the Rings saga: The Hobbit"
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Well...I'm sure they'll be plenty of tie in adverts for sure. You can guarantee that.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Johnny Depp as Bilbo Baggins? I think so!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 PM
My Casting:

BILBO - Martin Freeman (The Office UK, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

GANDALF - Ian McKellen (duh)

THORIN OAKENSHIELD - Ray Winstone (Beowulf, The Proposition)

BALIN - Paul Giamatti

ELROND - Hugo Weaving (duh)

GOLLUM - Andy Serkis (duh)

THE GREAT GOBLIN - Danny Huston (The Aviator, 30 Days of Night)

BEORN - Damian Lewis (Band of Brothers, Dreamcatcher, ABC's Life)

ELVENKING OF MIRKWOOD - Leonard Nimoy

SMAUG - Gary Oldman (voice)
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
BARD Alec Newman (Dune Miniseries)

LORD OF THE EAGLES - John Hurt (voice)