Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Joseph Andrews (Henry Fielding, 1742)

Whilst intended to be another spoof of Pamela, it's self-indulgence ruins it for the reader just like that novel did. It starts of as a outrageously fun old yarn, but becomes dull as you delve into the second book. The interesting narrative technique (narrator taking out whole chapters to chat to us about philosophical and literary issues) works about half of the time. Lady Booby is one of my favourite female characters ever though, all the parts of the story involving her were great.

7/10
Old 01-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I just received 13 Morbius comics in the mail. Fucking A.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 PM

8/10

While not as strong as IT or The Stand, the latest 1000 page epic by Stephen King was great. Big Jim Rennie is perhaps my favorite of King's (human) villains, and I love that he made the situation a commentary on climate change. The book is filled with so many characters it's almost hard to keep track (but thankfully he gives us a character list at the beginning so that we can sort out the important ones). But the wonderful thing is that he makes you really abhor the bad guys and root for the good guys (and even shed a tear when some of those good guys unexpectedly die).

Definite recommend.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:16 AM

4.5/5
Old 01-16-2010, 05:36 PM
ZMoney08 that's the only Ender book I've read though I have eight of them. You've read more of them, should I keep reading ahead in the series?

Today I finished v.1 of THE WALKING DEAD called "Days Gone Bye". I dig zombies and I liked this so I'm gonna buy more of these. I always find it interesting when it's not about the zombies (am I allowed to say the word 'zombie' out loud?) but the people living among the zombie fested world. That's the beauty of DAWN OF THE DEAD and zombies in general. Vampires and Werewolves are just too much of individuals, zombies are a collective bunch. Sorry, rambling here.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaGod View Post
ZMoney08 that's the only Ender book I've read though I have eight of them. You've read more of them, should I keep reading ahead in the series?

Today I finished v.1 of THE WALKING DEAD called "Days Gone Bye". I dig zombies and I liked this so I'm gonna buy more of these. I always find it interesting when it's not about the zombies (am I allowed to say the word 'zombie' out loud?) but the people living among the zombie fested world. That's the beauty of DAWN OF THE DEAD and zombies in general. Vampires and Werewolves are just too much of individuals, zombies are a collective bunch. Sorry, rambling here.
That is the only Ender book I've read so far. I hear the rest in the series are really different.

If you like zombies you should check out Plague of the Dead by Z.A. Recht (I actually just did a google search to see how to spell his name and he actually died last month at the age of 26...what shitty news)
Old 01-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoney08 View Post
That is the only Ender book I've read so far. I hear the rest in the series are really different.

If you like zombies you should check out Plague of the Dead by Z.A. Recht (I actually just did a google search to see how to spell his name and he actually died last month at the age of 26...what shitty news)
Thanks for the suggestion, I will put that in mind.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 AM
read more hellboy last night, also read some uncanny x-men and x-men. bought a few batmans i need to read, still waiting for siege and blackest night in the mail

i reckon jim lee needs to do more batman, hush is... insane
Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 AM

4/5
Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 AM
finished Justice books one and two, starting three... again :P
Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 PM

After starting this book way back in October and then having to restart it last week (school got crazy there for a while and then after I was done I didnt feel like reading) I finally got done with this last night. I didnt like it as much as 'Salem's Lot.

8/10
Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
double post
Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 PM
The Cosmic Puppets (Philip K. Dick) - 7/10

Swift, cool read. Started out like The Twilight Zone episode with Billy Mumy and the cornfield, but it turned into something grand. Cosmic, natch. I liked how Ted Barton, the main character, just accepted every mystical element at face value. Probably too much exposition about the where and the why would slow the pace.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Too Late To Say Goodbye

Ann Rule
Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Prayers for Rain - Dennis Lehane (10/10)
Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePorkchopExpress View Post
i reckon jim lee needs to do more batman, hush is... insane
Indeed. Hush is my favourite story arc in the Batman series (and I've read quite a lot).

No Exit (Jean-Paul Satre, 1944) - 7/10
Old 01-27-2010, 01:14 PM

4/5
Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 PM
A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane (9/10)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Captain America Reborn #6
Old 01-30-2010, 12:35 PM

Easily my least favourite of the Hellboy novels so far. There is very little Hellboy in the book and when he is there he does nothing. He as useless to this story as he is to any other book written that doesn't involve Hellboy.

I have a long list of complaints about this book. Bottom line, if you're a Hellboy fan and haven't read this then I strongly advise you to look elsewhere first.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Old 01-31-2010, 05:16 PM

3.5/5
Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Batman Knight Fall started off a little corny because of all the corny villains such as Hatter, Film Freak, and that silly dude with the Falcon, ECT. However, as the Trade Paper Back (or issues) progressed... it really started to suck you into the story and make you feel for Batman's condition and eventual fall. Anyways, the artwork was pretty solid for the most part. As for the lettering or dialogue: Well, the dialogue was kind of cringe worthy in certain parts and I definitely thought they should have had Batman screaming in pain when...

Spoiler:
Batman's back or spine gets broken by Bane.

In any event, this Trade Paper Back Collection was a pretty descent read overall.

Rating:

B+

Last edited by James Bond; 02-01-2010 at 03:18 PM..
Old 02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Conquest of the Useless - Werner Herzog (5/10)

Herzog is iconoclastic in the field of film, a mad genius, but his memories, written during the making of Fitzcarraldo, are rather disappointing. He's got some great fever dream stream of consciousness thoughts, but instead of probing some great savage mind, I felt like I was browsing through a journal. Very descriptive, but, other than the language, boring.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

Pretty amazing. The last line is phenomenal.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:54 AM

9/10
Old 02-03-2010, 12:47 PM
The Italian (Ann Radcliffe, 1797)

Very good Gothic novel about a monk who is hired by a woman to sabotage her son's relationship--even if it involves kidnap and torture. Like most novels of the era it's difficult to stick with but there are a lot of genuinely compelling moments, particularly the twist halfway through that I didn't see coming.

8/10
Old 02-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

8/10 Book was freaking hilarious. I laughed at every wet bamboo and sudden flesh eating reference. Definite recommend for a good time.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:42 PM
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells

4.5/5
Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 PM
The Genius Wars

Catherine Jinks
Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Persuasion (Jane Austen, 1818)

Not as good as Sense and Sensibility (the only other one I've read), mainly because it follows the same standard plot, but it was still a great novel.

8/10
Old 02-10-2010, 02:25 AM
Darkness, Take My Hand by Dennis Lehane (9/10)
Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Watchmen is not your ordinary comic book filled with action. However, do not let that deter you from picking this book up, though. In fact, you might not even really enjoy this comic at all until you reach the fourth chapter. I know that is the way it was for me. In fact, long before I even heard that the movie was being made I was given this book to read from a friend of mine. But at the time, I couldn't even get past the first chapter. It was just too dry for my tastes. I mean, back then, every comic book I picked up and read was pretty much an action based comic.

Now, many years later, after the movie came out, I finally read the graphic novel in it's entirety (with the detailed little written extras and all). As a matter of fact, I am very glad I finished reading this book because Watchmen had definitely made a very distinct impression upon me in a couple of different ways that I am eternally grateful for. One, I have come to find the use of the motivational messages within this book to be very inspiring. Secondly, the book made me think about how things change in life and how we must learn to adapt or change (ourselves) in order to fit with the times. Also, the world of Watchmen felt very tactile and real. It made you believe in the impossible or the theoretical possibility of things. It sparked my imagination and it moved me.

Veritably there are many reasons to praise Watchmen as a an inspiring and masterful piece of work, however here a couple specific things that I have found to be particularly note worthy. First, I thought the multiple comparative narratives within the book was handled absolutely perfectly. Secondly, the extra little tidbits or written spotlights on the various characters made you believe or feel that these characters were very real. I mean, they were practically jumping out of the page they felt so real even. Thirdly, this book had not just one hidden message for you to learn from, but a whole treasure trove of moral improvements and lessons for you to pick up on. Finally, last but not least, the artwork was very clean and to the point and the looks of the various characters and costumes was just absolutely appropriate, exceptional, extremely imaginative, and pleasing to the eye.

Okay, now that I praised the book, let me get to the weaknesses of the book (whether it was intentional or not). The first problem I had was that certain scenes and or panels flipped back and forth from one another without a clear reference point or narrative establishment. Granted, I muddled my way thru and managed to follow along the first time I read it. However, it was a bit off putting and unnecessary to use such a tactic, though. The second problem I had with the book was the lack of visual movement or action. Although I enjoyed the heck out of this book, I still felt like certain scenes could have been a million times better if it had some extended action or fight sequences added in.

In any event, Watchmen overall is a resounding success as a comic book or a graphic literary piece. In fact, if you haven't ever read it, I highly recommend you pick it up the first chance you get.

Rating:

A+

Truly an inspiring and rich comic book that will continue to change and spark imaginations for life times to come.

A must read if your into comics!

Definitely worthy of defining the Modern Age of Comics.

Last edited by James Bond; 02-14-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Old 02-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
The Genius Wars
Catherine Jinks
Bond Girl:

Hmm, Catherine Jinks is an Australian author.
That is fascinating. Was the book any good?

Or have you read something better from another Aussie author?

Last edited by James Bond; 02-13-2010 at 10:59 PM..
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM

Invisible Monsters

8/10. This is the fifth Palahniuk book I've read and I'm pretty sure it's my favorite.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Nightmares And Dreamscapes (Stephen King) - 8/10
Old 02-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Beneath - Jeremy Robinson

4/5
Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Arkham Asylum (Grant Morrison, 1989)

8/10
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

8/10

I could never get into it when I was younger. I found it dreadfully boring, but my ever growing love for the films and learning about how expansive Tolkiens Middle Earth is made me pick it up again and I actually got through it.

The first half is rather slow. It reminded me of the Hobbit in that it was a simple adventure tale. Aside from establishing the plot early on the events in the first half rarely feel urgent or have much to do with the plot. But there is enough lite adventure to keep the pace going. About half way through the book, when the Hobbits reach Bree, the pace quickens and the tone darkens. From then on the book became increasingly more exciting.

A damn good book imo. One I'm glad I read. The pace was slow at first and I found the abundance of songs to be rather annoying at times but other then that it was highly enjoyable.

Starting The Two Towers right away.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
The Catcher In The Rye - 5/10
Meh, really don't get what the big deal is.