Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Internet Arguement Techniques

http://www.cracked.com/funny-3809-in...nt-techniques/

This made me laugh pretty hard, and reminded me how civilized JoBlo actually is...for the most part .
Old 01-16-2010, 02:07 PM
I want to add another that I've seen and taken part in

I guess this is some funny result of the internet crowd coming to terms with basic psychological principles or somethin. A ton of people seem to act this out unconsciously. The idea is that the less emotion you show the less intimidated you are, the higher you stand on the ground of conversational battle. So a lot of internet arguments come down to who can bluff detachment better. One tell is when somebody keeps reiterating "I don't care either way" even though they continue to partake in the conversation and continue to, well, give a shit. I had an email back a forth with some guy just this week who felt the need to remind me that he didn't care either way five times over just because he felt backed into a corner.
Yet another tell is somebody expressing "amusement" at a comment that is in no way amusing, but is actually stupid or despicable or obviously meant to be taken seriously. Captain Debate Team just decided to pretend he's so above it that he finds it merely amusing. As though whatever homophobic, racist, misogynistic, ignorant, or downright hateful guy he's arguing against is just a clown act turning tricks for attention.
...although that last point is hard to tell because a ton of people genuinely find idiots on the internet funny, which is perfectly healthy considering how many idiots there are on the internet. Gotta cope somehow.

This thread has awesome potential. Other schmoes- Plz contribute
Old 01-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Aside from the politics forum this is by far the most civilized message board I've been apart of on the internet.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:39 PM
I still think using 'NO U' is the ultimate argument ender.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM
This was pretty funny. Good find, HighSpeed. I think this board flirts with a good amount of #6's. We often see people who seem to hate mostly everyone but just keep coming back like abused housewives because the layout's easy on the eyes.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenbeck View Post
LOL at #10!
Would you say that you're guilty of #6?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicochetShaw View Post
Did I ever tell you I love you?

Last edited by Reigh Kaufman; 01-17-2010 at 08:36 AM..
Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 PM
This is like As The World Turns, except it sucks

Let's give credit where credit is due. I like that the suspicious guy is changing his personality around so people won't notice. That shows more effort than he's put in before. It's improvement.

But he still needs to show more restraint.
For one, you're not waiting very long before signing up again. Work on that. Also, you have to understand something. There are no new schmoes who jump into a daily posting rhythm the way you have. There just aren't. Zero. Zip. Zilch. There's an adjustment period for newcomers. When you jump in here and instantly get the beat and flow of the community, people notice. Without trying. Again.
...again.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 PM
We're all guilty of using at least one of those
Old 01-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
We're all guilty of using at least one of those
If you only knew what I knew...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Go on...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
Go on...
Hoisted by my own petard!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigh Kaufman View Post
Hoisted by my own petard!
This post reeks of playfulness and gin...or is it the other way around? Shit.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicochetShaw View Post
First thing I thought as well.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 AM
I agree. JoBlo rules. Here we can talk about movies, TV, video games, whathaveyou, and be smart and insightful, yet down to earth and good natured. Every once in awhile I can even leave a little love spreading around the boards and it gives me the warm fuzzies.

I only need to take a ten minute break to imdb or Ain'tItCool just to realize how lucky we got it around these parts.

Oh, and that video made me chuckle all kinds of silly.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Cracked > Your fav non-Joblo website
Old 01-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey, I'm on the Cracked website!
I've written a few articles if anybody's interested in reading them.
My handle is "Dr. Pepper".

No pressure.

Just sayin'.