Old 01-24-2010, 08:34 PM
The 10 most common passwords revealed

Quote:
The 10 most common passwords revealed

http://www.news.com.au/technology/th...-1225822539186

* 32 million user passwords analysed
* "Password" and "12345" used
* 'Using Facebook password at work is a risk'

THE 10 most commonly used passwords on the web have been revealed as part of an analysis of tens of millions of internet accounts.

Imperva, a data security firm, said it had analysed around 32 million passwords that had been exposed in a recent hack of the RockYou website.

In December last year, a hacker breached the site's company database and gained access to the unencrypted usernames and passwords of all its 32 million users.

After studying the security breach, Imperva has come up with a list of the most commonly used passwords.

"Everyone needs to understand what the combination of poor passwords means in today's world of automated cyber attacks: with only minimal effort, a hacker can gain access to one new account every second," said Amichai Shulman, Imperva's chief technical officer.

"Employees using the same passwords on Facebook that they use in the workplace bring the possibility of compromising enterprise systems."

The top 10 most common passwords

1. 123456
2. 12345
3. 123456789
4. Password
5. iloveyou
6. princess
7. rockyou *
8. 1234567
9. 12345678
10. abc123

* Note: this list was sourced from the RockYou website.
So I wonder how many people are trying these passwords to hack into others accounts?? It seems rather stupid to have passwords like that though, urgh.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:37 PM
In shocking news, it was revealed today that the world contains a lot of idiots, and that many idiots have internet access.

When reached for comment, Joe Public (17) said "Huh?"
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 PM
What surprises me is people using the same password for Facebook (or whatever) and their work. That's just...hmm.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
I know, why would you use the same password??

Although common sense dictates you should change your passwords on a regular basis.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Ha ha. I'm at fault for using two of those.

My very, very first email account was protected by 123456. I think some sites don't even let you do that automatically.

And I thought I was really clever when I used Password at work. I guess not. Now I just come up with random shit - just remember to write it down somewhere!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
2. 12345
That's the stupidest password I've ever heard in my life. That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Every one of my passwords is a different mythological creature of Norse origin. Identity theft is no joke. I refuse to take chances.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
That's the stupidest password I've ever heard in my life. That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

Glad somebody made that reference.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't know what rock you is... but it doesn't seem like a place where I would really care if people guessed my password or not.

I'm sure 99.9999% of people put more thought into their bank account password than they do their facebook accounts. I wouldn't exactly call anyone with their facebook account password set at password a moron.