Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Your favorite comic/graphic novel, and why

just curious to see where people stand in the world of comics, simple question, whats your favorite comic and why

I would have to say Hellboy. First read this work couple years back, friend said i should check it out to see if i like it or not. Read the first one reluctantly, then couldn't put down the second, then couldn't stop reading all of them. I reckon Hellboy is one of the best written characters ever done in comic history. I know I haven't seen and read all of the characters and books written but from what I have seen he is my favorite. I think the artwork helps create the characters as well. Mike Mignola has done an absolutely wonderful job incorporating old folklore into modern story writing making for one hell of a series. Hellboy himself is complex enough to keep the story going without the extra side stories. He is meant to be the destruction of the world, being half demon half man. Yet its because of his human side he has made choices to contradict his path and create his own, fighting against evil to do what his father taught him, good.

thats my little statement for the night, its 4:23 am i should probably go to bed...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Marvel:

Maximum Carnage: What made me fall in love with Spider Man and artist Mark Bagely. Lots of ppl say this is a mediocre story but i love it.

Secret Wars: The greatest major Marvel crossover epic imo. Fuck Civil War, it was just a vehicle to get ppl to buy way too many books to get the 'complete' story. Secret Wars is what epic adventure is all about in Marvel.

Infinity Gauntlet: Showing yet again why Thanos kicks so much ass. Wish they would do more with him.

DC/Vertigo:

Watchmen: I know but it really is the greatest comic ever writen. If you can find it for cheap get the Absolute edition, the big glossy pages make it look even better.

Dark Knight Returns: Probably one of the best Batman stories ever. A lot of ppl don't like it cause of Miller's art but it's a great story with he sequel taking it to a whole new lvl

Preacher: Amazing fun and raunchy comic. Full of great moments and a wonderful overall story.

Other:

Walking Dead: Great on going Zombie apocalypse story. Again some may say it;s not so good cause it never really has any ending but that's sort of the point from the get go with the story.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Bone, by Jeff Smith, is way up there. Anyone who hasn't read it, go pick up the one-volume edition. It will make your life better.

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud will too.

Watchmen, yeah.

Berserk by Kentarou Miura is the best, most epic, most soul-crushingly dark comic there's ever been.

20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa is the best, most epic, smartest, most best, supergreat thing, I'm running out of superlatives. But everyone should read this too, its the best mystery anything I've ever read. It will turn your mind inside out.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Was always into comics and graphic novels but never had many until a few years ago.

Watchmen - while its the popular name I read it after learning about the movie and decided to find out what the hype was before I saw the movie.

Dark Knight Returns - my only batman novel but was blown away by how good it was.

Rising Stars - Just got the Compendium volume for christmas. I got so into it and it has taken its place as my favorite hands down. Love the story and characters. Hopefully they make it into a movie one day.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:40 AM
More of a run than a graphic novel I guess but storytelling doesn't get any better than Alan Moore's time on Swamp Thing. If a story can make you wish you were a vegetable, how is it then NOT the best story ever written? Please, if you haven't felt feelings before or dream about forest fires, you need to read everything Moore's ever written about Swamp Thaaaang (a's added to sound cool).

As far stories intended to be isolated "graphic novels," then Ill have to go with Watchmen. I'm getting a little tired of it because it's everywhere now and Ive over talked it with people at this point, but new issues and connections are raised every time. It's a real masterpiece and showcase work for the field
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
i absolutely loved Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso's series 100 Bullets. quite possibly the best work of crime fiction i have ever read. in it's 100 issue run it took plenty of time to flesh out not only the characters, but the world around them. there is plenty of double speak and innuendo in the writing that you will more than likely miss the 1st time reading it, but upon subsequent readings, will uncover more and more about the story. the entire run is now available in 13 trade paper backs as the series 10 year run ended last march. i strongly urge anyone who is a Tarentino fan, a fan of gritty, violent noir fiction to pick these books up.

hell, i loved the series so much that i now have 4 tattoos of the characters, and am working on making a quarter sleeve out of them!

Last edited by thewolf; 01-26-2010 at 09:59 AM..
Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Superheroes:

Daredevil
: I think Murdock's an interesting character, even if his rogues gallery is...'meh', aside from a few.

The Amazing Spider-Man: I read the JMS run pretty regularly but I went back and read a lot of the older issues (gotta love the Essentials series ). I haven't read anything since the retcon but I still put this as a favorite series.

Batman: The first hero-type I liked, way back when I was a little Tweek.

Non-Superhero:

Y: The Last Man: A non-romantic take of what life would be like for the last man on earth. I always imagined that it would be something like that and not a 24/7 fuck-fest like some people think.

The Walking Dead: I love the series, even though I don't really like that it's planning to go on for so long, if that makes sense. It always seemed like it would be better as a limited series.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
The Amazing Spider-Man: I read the JMS run pretty regularly but I went back and read a lot of the older issues (gotta love the Essentials series ). I haven't read anything since the retcon but I still put this as a favorite series.
Yeah this was a great run, second for spider man for me behind Dave Michelinie's run with McFarlane/Larsen/Bagely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
Y: The Last Man: A non-romantic take of what life would be like for the last man on earth. I always imagined that it would be something like that and not a 24/7 fuck-fest like some people think.
I love how almost every chick he meets doesn't believe at first that he hasn't been getting laid 10 times a day in the early parts of the story.

Another great set of books is Fables. Just the ways Willingham uses some of the most well known fairytale characters is great.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 AM
i definitely second Fables, excellent story! i don't have any of the single issues as i prefer to read them as trades, but i have all of them and can't wait till next month when the newest is released!

i'm also going to throw out how much i absolutely adore The Ultimates. i was never a huge Avengers fan (back in the day with the exception of CAP and Hawkeye), and i love what they have done with the team by making it more of a mature comic. i try to pick up every comic i can find that has members of The Ultimates in it!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
i definitely second Fables, excellent story! i don't have any of the single issues as i prefer to read them as trades, but i have all of them and can't wait till next month when the newest is released!

i'm also going to throw out how much i absolutely adore The Ultimates. i was never a huge Avengers fan (back in the day with the exception of CAP and Hawkeye), and i love what they have done with the team by making it more of a mature comic. i try to pick up every comic i can find that has members of The Ultimates in it!
Damn it that means i'm going to be 2 trades behind now lol. I've been meaning to pick up the Ultimates trades, as i have pretty much all the other Ultimate stuff thus far out side of stuff like Daredevil Electra mini, but i was always bothered by the delays and just the general structure of the books. I was really interested in the Loeb/Joe Mad Ultimates 3 (or was it 4?) so i'm sure i'll get around to getting them eventually.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM
I could never get into a continuous, monthly series. I tried to when ghost Rider was relaunched a few years ago, but I thought it got stupid after a few issues and gave up on it. But I have been an on again, off again fan of various books and mini-series for a long time.

Lobo - My first favorite comic - specifically the run in the early 90s: Lobo's Back, Paramilitary Christmas Special, Infanticide, etc. But once they made him a monthly series, it became gutless and I quit reading.

Death's Head II - This was a monthly series from Marvel UK back around 92-93 that I really enjoyed. Lots of action and humor, but it vanished after issue 13.

Cerebus - Probably my all time favorite right now. The first four volumes were just plain brilliant. After Church and State, however, it became a lesson in frustration. It had wild mood swings and serious ups and downs, and even though it was frustrating as hell to read at times, it was always entertaining in some way. Towards the very end, though, it became completely unreadable. But to read the whole series (300 issues) from beginning to end is a fascinating experience.

Howard the Duck - This 70s era comic had obvious influences on Cerebus and was a lot of fun to read - until they killed it in the end. I highly recommend the Marvel Essentials volume of the series. I also loved the short lived rebirth series it had around 2003. Sadly, it only lasted six issues before it was mysteriously canceled.

Fables - I love this series, but I am woefully behind. I have only read the first four volumes, but they are brilliant.

Robocop vs Terminator - This miniseries was kind of a big deal when it came out, but now you can find it dirt cheap. The story is completely bonkers, but it is a lot of fun and gets totally crazy towards the end.

The Maxx - Probably my second all time favorite comic, and like Cerebus, it could be very frustrating at times. A very unique,mind bending take on the idea of a superhero.

Circles - a very small, independent comic about six gay roommates. Oh, and it's a furry comic. Still extremely well written and powerful stuff.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I could never get into a continuous, monthly series. I tried to when ghost Rider was relaunched a few years ago, but I thought it got stupid after a few issues and gave up on it.
Ha yeah that was horrible wasn't it. Love Crain's art though it can be a bit busy sometimes.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Hellboy

Hellboy and BPRD. Anything related to the Hellboy Universe.

Because of BPRD I really got excited about Guy Davis and his art so I've recently bought The Marquis which was an amazing book. I'm really looking forward to more.
http://themarquisinferno.blogspot.com/

Some classics for me are The Maxx and Watchmen.

Oh, and American Splendor.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post
Oh, and American Splendor.
saw the movie on this but haven't picked any of the books yet. Looks interesting though so it's on the list lol.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I

Death's Head II - This was a monthly series from Marvel UK back around 92-93 that I really enjoyed. Lots of action and humor, but it vanished after issue 13.

Robocop vs Terminator - This miniseries was kind of a big deal when it came out, but now you can find it dirt cheap. The story is completely bonkers, but it is a lot of fun and gets totally crazy towards the end.

I was a big Death's Head ll fan back in the day. I really liked the 4 issue mini-series that had DH and the future versions of Capt. America, Rhino, Wolverine, etc. fight a demon. Marvel UK had some cool books.

I have the Robocop vs Terminator books. I remember they where alright.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM
and somehow i forgot to mention Ed Brubaker's 2 independent series' Incognito and Criminal. both extremely well written (Brubaker is a master of noir), and both series are available in TPB (there are currently 4 volumes of Criminal, with the 5th story in single issues right now).

also, Brubaker's series Sleeper....is just plain fucking great!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
and somehow i forgot to mention Ed Brubaker's 2 independent series' Incognito and Criminal. both extremely well written (Brubaker is a master of noir), and both series are available in TPB (there are currently 4 volumes of Criminal, with the 5th story in single issues right now).

also, Brubaker's series Sleeper....is just plain fucking great!

Hell yeah man. All of his work is great. Daredevil and Captain America are awesome too. Anything Brubaker touches turns to gold.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Watchmen, because it just is the best.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Right now...i'm getting a big kick out of The Walking Dead. In fact it's the only comic I read every month just now (time issues). Of all time...i'd have to say Alan Moore's tenure on Swamp Thing. Just awesome. Running it a close second would be Garth Ennis' stint on Hellblazer.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm stuck between Jason Aaron's Scalped and Brian K. Vaughan's Ex Machina. both are incredibly well written, give me my dosage of superhero, political intrigue and crime noir. Addicting stuff.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:46 AM
My favorite comic books are probably the Invisibles and Preacher. I love Watchmen as much as the next guy, but it's always been emotionally at arm's length.

Invisibles and Preacher on the other hand made me fall madly in love with the characters. I loved how unique everyone was from the main characters to the villains. The Invisibles embraced every major conspiracy theory and made it seem as normal was apple pie. The ideas in that book went beyond what most comics talk about, including reality being controlled and manipulated by a precious few, astral projection being a "super power" to fight against evil, and that the fight to save the world was really about freeing people's minds and not about destroying a doomsday device. Not to mention the idea that God is in a liquid form being held hostage at an Area 51-like base. It's just one of the most original takes on a "team" of heroes and sometimes goes so far out, you forget that it's a comic book. I love the heady stuff such as Lord Fanny's rite of passage from being a boy to being a woman and the action stories involving the Invisibles breaking into a secret government base. I don't know what psychedelic cocktail Grant Morrison took in order to write this book, and I don't want to know. I just know that it was a blast to read.

Preacher often gets hailed as the dirty comic of its time, but it's more than that to me. What I loved about it besides the rapid fire dialogue was that it really wore its heart on its sleeve. Jesse Custer represented the old school hero you don't see anymore. He was a gentleman through and through who had to deal with his contradictions. Jesse was a man's man, but not a misogynist or trying to be a macho guy. He just was. I also really dug his relationship with Tulip. The rest of the cast is simply so good, you can't believe they all fit in one book. Cassidy is the coolest vampire character for me. It broke my heart when you find out what a scumbag he is. Garth Ennis is really great at making the characters push the plot. They surprise you at every turn somehow. From Herr Star's fateful capture and escape from the pack of inbred mutant brothers to Jesse ending up in the town of Salvation. It doesn't follow a straight path and I enjoy it more because of it. Ennis' words are also perfectly captured by Steve Dillon's strange artwork. There's something flat about how Dillon sketches people, but it's just right for the book. It's not a pretty story by any means, but it's full of heart.

Another book I'd give a shout out to is Y: the Last Man. I thought it was a great action/adventure story that was a lot of fun from the awesome start to the bitter sweet ending.

As for a superhero arc and story I really enjoyed, off the top of my head I'd go with Batman: the Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. I just loved the film noir touch this book carries as well as the Godfather influence that Loeb brought to the Batman world. Two-Face is my favorite Batman rogue after the Joker, and this book serves as the definitive origin for the character. It's tragic, sad and always interesting. I love how the book ties together all of Batman's villains through the seasons as Batman hunts after the Holiday killer. It took all the right influences from film and transferred it to the comic book medium. This might also be the best drawn Batman story alongside Arkham Asylum. Tim Sale for me captures Batman in a way that truly shows why he would be scary to the criminals of Gotham. It's a great book all around and full of surprises. Not to mention, it influenced Christopher Nolan's films a bit, even giving the Dark Knight its catch phrase, "I believe in Harvey Dent."
Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Frank Miller is the all time best graphic novels and at same name of the novels created one movie related to that frank miler

thanks
david
Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Batman The Long Halloween

To me it's the definitive Batman story. It has all the elements of what makes Batman my favorite comic character of all time. It's a fantastic detective story. Not to mention the Nolan films were heavily inspired by it in more ways than one. I think it also has the best art work in a Batman story.