Old 01-30-2010, 08:33 PM
What was the best thing about your youth?

Dreams?

Girls and boys?

Drugs?

Listening to your favourite band live while the sun sets?

What was the best thing(s) about your youth?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Answer: The fact that it's still here, holmes!

*Cappy blasts John Waite on his Walkman*

"I ain't missing you at all since you've been gone away
I ain't missing you, no matter what I might say

I ain't missing you,
I ain't missing you,
I can lie to Myself"
Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 PM
I was a navy brat for most of my youth, so I look back with fondness of all the functions I got to go to military wise with my parents. All the barbeques and events. Good times with some good people that I still know, never lose touch with friends from the military.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
No responsibility
Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Saturday morning cartoons
Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Saturday morning cartoons
Definitely. Toy adverts in the middle, too.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigh Kaufman View Post
Definitely. Toy adverts in the middle, too.
ah back when commercials were actually looked forward to.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Being able to jump the fence of our backyard and have miles of woods and swamps to adventure in or build forts in. Went back to the area not that long ago.......it's all houses and strip malls now. No trees in sight.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:40 PM
i was a really good tennis player. i traveled throughout britain and europe playing the best of the best. ya i got the women too! life was pretty sweet back then....

Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Orlando. Once a year I'd round up all my friends, spend all night at this place, then we'd go back to my parents' timeshare at the Ramada and go crazy on loads of caffeine (Surge and Mountain Dew) and junk food and watch horror movies until the sun came up.

Pretty much just living in Orlando in general as a youth was pretty fuckin' amazing.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Well I too am still in it. The best things are movies, food and girls (in that order of course).

For specifics, my last three summers have been awesome:
--I spent 07 working as a countryside contractor, so I got to earn money whilst driving around seeing new places, meeting new people, getting knocked unconscious by heavy machinery, etc.
--In 08 I joined The National Youth Theatre (fellow members include Daniel Craig, Chiwetel Ejiofor and my personal idol Daniel Day-Lewis), so I got to meet and make a lot of friends whilst working hard on our theatre piece, but the highlight was that it was the first considerable time spent away from the family.
--Last summer I went on holiday with a bunch of friends, and there are far too many fantastic things about it to describe here.

Going back to the food, at the moment I'm in college and we have to eat at 5:30, so we usually order a pizza together around midnight to cease the hunger. I can already tell I'm gonna miss that habit.

Also, hot teachers! (I've been fortunate enough to have more than a few in my education)
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Also, hot teachers! (I've been fortunate enough to have more than a few in my education)
you can never have too many of these in your life
Old 02-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I do reflect on this.

My responsibility factor at age 37: 100%
My responsibility factor at age 10: 10%

I had to bathe, keep my room clean, maintain my grades, and stay the hell out of trouble.
As long as I did that, my friends, GOL-fucking-DEN!

Pepperoni pizza, marshmallow peeps, and Hawaiian Punch!

Staying up as late as I wanted in the summer (impressed the hell out of myself the first time I stayed up all night. I'll never forget watching "The Mary Tyler Moore" Show and some late late show until "Heckyl and Jeckyl" came on and the sun came up. I was jazzed as hell...and passed out five minutes later)!

The freedoms that our elders provided us to enjoy the days when you didn't have to worry about life's nowaday problems.

And my mom would tell me "wait until you're out there on your own".

She knew what she was talking about.

Now, I have pain, bills, and fear the collapse of modern society.
Back then, I catalogued my GI Joes and never missed an episode of "Thundercats".

I say it's the freedom to do what you wanted, within reason, and not have to deal with responsibility.

But hey, I had my youth. I had a LOT of fun. Should've crammed more into each day, but that's how it's supposed to be. Every adult wishes they could've done more here or there, reminding the youth "not to waste youth".

Circle of f-ing life, Simba. Circle of life.

Good topic, Reigh. Been thinking about this recently.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRazor View Post
I do reflect on this.

My responsibility factor at age 37: 100%
My responsibility factor at age 10: 10%

I had to bathe, keep my room clean, maintain my grades, and stay the hell out of trouble.
As long as I did that, my friends, GOL-fucking-DEN!

Pepperoni pizza, marshmallow peeps, and Hawaiian Punch!

Staying up as late as I wanted in the summer (impressed the hell out of myself the first time I stayed up all night. I'll never forget watching "The Mary Tyler Moore" Show and some late late show until "Heckyl and Jeckyl" came on and the sun came up. I was jazzed as hell...and passed out five minutes later)!

The freedoms that our elders provided us to enjoy the days when you didn't have to worry about life's nowaday problems.

And my mom would tell me "wait until you're out there on your own".

She knew what she was talking about.

Now, I have pain, bills, and fear the collapse of modern society.
Back then, I catalogued my GI Joes and never missed an episode of "Thundercats".

I say it's the freedom to do what you wanted, within reason, and not have to deal with responsibility.

But hey, I had my youth. I had a LOT of fun. Should've crammed more into each day, but that's how it's supposed to be. Every adult wishes they could've done more here or there, reminding the youth "not to waste youth".

Circle of f-ing life, Simba. Circle of life.

Good topic, Reigh. Been thinking about this recently.

This is pretty much it for me: Lack of consequence or concern.

Now it's all, "Oh, I better not do much more, might contradict with my heart medication. Who? No, I'll just disillusion her into thinking there's something long term and I'm sure as fuck not giving up my family! Where? No, that's too far out of the way and I shouldn't speed to get there - gas, speeding ticket... that's out of control. What? What? No, seriously, speak up. I can't hear you."
Old 02-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Lack of responsibility or the stresses that come with it and my environment. I grew up in Hawaii and it wasn't until I left that I realized how awesome I had it, apparently the rest of the world isn't constantly beautiful and doesn't have an endless supply of fun outdoor activities.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Total lack of image/body awareness.

No preconceptions about people.

Sleeping downstairs on the couch on a friday night + a lazy morning of cartoons (Muppet babies, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Trap Door, Pole Position) and bacon butty's and blue top milk.

My dad sending me to the video shop with my brother for what he would call a 'a bucket of blooder' as in, "get me a good 'bucket of blooder'"...he meant a horror movie, we would then watch it with my Mum who would tut-tut-tut and take the Lords name throughout. Pa would laugh and tell us to avert our eyes during the dirty bits and if somebody looked like they were about to bite the dust my Dad would say "oh he's looking ready for the soup pot!" That's the sort of stuff I cherish.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
What was the best thing about your youth?
My youth...
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Not much.

I've pretty much traded one kind of psychological nightmare for another.

Go me.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:34 PM
When I stayed over my grandmother's house as a child, I used to have cake for breakfast and nothing was said about it. I didn't have any body/appearance issues, no sense of total accountability.
What I also miss is during pre-school and primary school, we were encouraged to bring in things that we loved or were proud of such as pictures, toys, music CDs, trading cards for Show and Tell and our teachers were actually quite interested in what we had to say about them.
On top of that, I didn't have to worry about chasing boys or attracting them. Well, I still don't really, but my living relatives are starting to think I'm a lesbian because they haven't seen or heard of me bringing a 'Nice man' to meet them. Whatever.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I think its the no responsibility that really just sets you free as a child. Sure you might be responsible for doing chores and homework but it's just not the same. Children run around completely free of the weight of burden on their shoulders.

I also realized now that I grew up during one of, if not the most successful economic times in the history of the world (early 90s). I had no concept of money, and I got just about everything that I asked my parents for. I was very very spoiled.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Remember when you were allowed to play dead late and it never seemed to get dark? You would be playing rounders or kerby and your mum would shout you in, but it was still light so she would give you fifteen more minutes?

And friends? How awesome were friends back in the day? My mates built a gang hut and filled it with comics and dock leaves (in case of jaggy nettles), and we would buy red kola with a 'k' and American Cream Soda and drink it with refreshers so that it hurt when we did a fizzy sneeze.

Cool times.

Last edited by Reigh Kaufman; 02-04-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 05:35 PM
having access to elementary basketball court for many childhood yrs. my dad was a principle so I took advantage of the gym
Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigh Kaufman View Post
Remember when you were allowed to play dead late and it never seemed to get dark? You would be playing rounders or kerby and your mum would shout you in, but it was still light so she would give you fifteen more minutes?

And friends? How awesome were friends back in the day? My mates built a gang hut and filled it with comics and dock leaves (in case of jaggy nettles), and we would buy red kola with a 'k' and American Cream Soda and drink it with refreshers so that it hurt when we did a fizzy sneeze.

Cool times.
Totally.

We used to play Kerby and May I? every effin day...and I remember staying out until gone 9 'o' clock when I was in Primary school because the sun was still out and it was muggy and the street was buzzing.

When I visited my family in Glasgow we would get cones from the ice cream man and make Irn Bru floats. My mum always had one of those oyster things with dessicated coconut and it seemed utterly bourgeois.

Russ Abbots Madhouse and The Grumbleweeds !!!

Making a den out of quilts was the epitome of fun.

+ drawing your own comics with your closest friends - 3 boys I hung out with called Paul, Eric and Graham...Graham died in a car crash at 26...he was the kid in the comic with 'mega flares' and a Sonic the Hedgehog t-shirt that had clearly shrunk in the wash.

Wagging school and playing Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Master system and buying 10 packets of pickled onion Space Raiders with my dinner money.

Singing End Of The Road by Boyz II Men and It Must Have Been Love by Roxette in a grotty bin shed after my first taste of cider. Hehe.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
This:

This:

And This:

Old 02-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Cartoons, Food, Toys everything was awesome. No doubt about it.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Thumbs up on the Bernstein Bears AceD...loved those books.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Being an 80's-90's kid was awesome. Great cartoon shows (ie. Transformers, Ghostbusters, TMNT, Chip and Dale, Tiny Toons) and great video game consoles (NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy).

It was fun growing up...especially when you learnt how awesome it is to masturbate.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 PM
For the first 8 years of my life I lived in this tiny little suburban enclave that was sequestered by two dead ends and populated by young parents, such as mine, so the place was ruled by children. It was quite idyllic, and all us kids would play flashlight tag until 11:00 then beg to stay out later, and we'd catch fireflies in jars in the summer or play basketball at the nearby school that had a net, and play pickup football bundled up in big coats in the winter at the school's field, or have snowball fights. I remember one time, there was this kid named Colin who was a year or two younger than alot of us, and there was this snowball fight and he really wanted to play too. The kid had a proclivity toward crying at the drop of a hat, so we kept warning him that if he played he'd get hit with snowballs. He accepted, and the first snowball that hit him brought tears, and then his crazy mother came out and yelled at all of us for like 10 minutes. Another time that kid came up to me and my dad and brother while we were playing baseball in the front yard, holding a steak knife and a balloon, and proposed a game wherein one would try to keep the balloon in the air with the steak knife. My family still thinks he might've been mildly retarded. There was another kid named Hylee who lied compulsively, and one time claimed to have once been the quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. Then there was this rock with three holes in it on one of the dead ends that we called mickey mouse rock. There was also this forest area beyond my backyard that we would play in, and one time a few of us were back there and we heard a dog barking, and then we saw this tiny dog, kinda like Wishbone, barking at us on the loose, and we all pretended to be scared enough to hide in the tree house until it went away. It was exhilarating at the time.

I have many fond memories of that place and that time, more than I could record here. I now tend to think that it was too good, and that most of the problems I've had since moving away from there have been a result of a disproportionate amount of fondness for childhood; I've always been looking backward. I've only really gotten over it this past year. It's really kind of interesting to me.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:50 AM
the endless array of pussy.

Now its only almost-endless.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I have many fond memories of that place and that time, more than I could record here. I now tend to think that it was too good, and that most of the problems I've had since moving away from there have been a result of a disproportionate amount of fondness for childhood; I've always been looking backward. I've only really gotten over it this past year. It's really kind of interesting to me.
I feel you... nostalgia has got to be the hampering human emotion.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Unaccountability.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I feel you... nostalgia has got to be the hampering human emotion.
You wouldn't say that if you could throw a football over them mountains.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 AM
In grades 5 and 6 i was at a school that in the winter would chain hockey nets to the basket ball courts so we could play hockey all recess and lunch period. It was nice to cause they were sort of segregated by grade with the 5's and 6's together on the bigger court and the 3's and 4's on the smaller court.

I played goalie and remember there was always a huge competition of who got to play net cause there was always 3-5 ppl wanting to be goalie (and i mean all of us are there in our road hockey goalie gear and everything). So some of us would always try to get let out a bit earlier or try to sneak to the back of the class and suit up so that as soon as the bell rang we'd be good to go and dash out to the court.

Damn i miss that school.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
This is pretty much it for me: Lack of consequence or concern.

Now it's all, "Oh, I better not do much more, might contradict with my heart medication. Who? No, I'll just disillusion her into thinking there's something long term and I'm sure as fuck not giving up my family! Where? No, that's too far out of the way and I shouldn't speed to get there - gas, speeding ticket... that's out of control. What? What? No, seriously, speak up. I can't hear you."

Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
You wouldn't say that if you could throw a football over them mountains.

lol, nothing made me laugh harder when he screams when that grape fruit hits his windshield
Old 02-05-2010, 12:37 PM

Playing Capture the Flag with all of my friends. Such a fun game.

Going to Monical's Pizza with my teammates after basketball practice.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Completely obsessed with it as a young lad. Loved the cartoon, movies and especially the action figures.

Playing Super Nintendo for the first time and being in complete awe of the 16-bit graphics.

And the best thing about my youth was...not a having to pay bills!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Playing Capture the Flag with all of my friends. Such a fun game.
I now do this a few times a week, and get paid for it.

Yes, you can be jealous.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
I now do this a few times a week, and get paid for it.

Yes, you can be jealous.
Are you a teacher?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Are you a teacher?
Not in the traditional sense, no (I respect the hell out of those who do; to teach well in these times requires incredible dedication that I deeply admire).

I'm a self-employed consultant for summer camps and outdoor education programs. I travel teaching and lecturing on all facets of summer camp and OE programming (efficiency, hiring and training, etc) and training staff (in things such as Wilderness First Responder, etc). One of my calling cards is creating large group games, and so a couple times a week, sometimes more, I lead and play in one of these games. They are not always exactly capture the flag, some are more complex for older students, but the spirit remains the same. I play these games with adults then test-drive them with kids and we work to hone them into something awesome. This is just one facet of my job. And I mean, I get paid for this, homeys.

In all seriousness, I'm very blessed.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes. Yes, you are.