Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 PM
You know who rules? Carpathian Forest. I've been listening to them, and Nattefrost's solo stuff a shitton as of late. Love the punk elements the thow in with their raw black metal. Their live DVD We're Going To Hollywood For This is a great watch (depending on how you view the naked fat chicks on stage). One of the best looking/produced live DVD's out there. Nattefrost solo is fucking awesome, yeah it's not the most original stuff you've heard but it's wicked fun and fucked up evil metal, plus he's got the perfect black metal voice.

Last edited by HannibalGuy; 12-21-2009 at 06:37 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I've been listening to the new Hatebreed CD. I kinda like it. They definitely take some influence from Pantera, but the're still a pretty damn fun band.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Well there's only 4 days left of this year and I don't think I'll buy anything new in those remaining days, so now's a good enough time to unleash my top 10. This was actually pretty easy to figure out. Here ya go:

1. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
2. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
3. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
4. Assjack - Assjack
5. Dread - Buried in Narcissism
6. Post Mortem - Message From the Dead
7. Clutch - Strange Cousins From the West
8. Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes of God
9. Mournful Congregation - The June Frost
10. Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred For Mankind
Old 12-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibalGuy View Post
Well there's only 4 days left of this year and I don't think I'll buy anything new in those remaining days, so now's a good enough time to unleash my top 10. This was actually pretty easy to figure out. Here ya go:
Think I'll do the same. This year was much better than last year. It seemed like every month there was 1 or 2 albums I wanted to check out.

1. Devildriver- Pray for Villians

2. Megadeth- End Game

3. Alice in Chains- Black Give Way to Blue

4. Austrian Death Machine- Double Brutal

5. Lacuna Coil- Shallow Life

6. Revolting Cocks- Sex-O-Olympico

7. Rammstein-

8. Powerman 5000- Somewhere on the otherside of Nowhere

9. Arch Enemy- The Root of All Evil

10. GWAR- Lust in Space

11. Slayer- World Painted Blood

12. Genitorturers- Black Heart Revolution

Last edited by Ratlehed; 12-27-2009 at 10:38 PM..
Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Between the Buried and Me's The Great Misdirect takes the cake for my album of the year. Holy fuck I love this CD.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=countchocula;3158464]

Benediction-The Grand Leveller
Sarcofago-Rotting
[QUOTE]

Great stuff, Benediction were the first Death Metal I got into, via "Transcend the Rubicon", one hell of a crushing album. I havenīt heard "Rotting" but "The Laws of Scourge" is a damm good trash/death record.

Recent spins:
Palace of Skulls - With Vison 5/10
Black Hole - Living Masks 5/10 (itīs a mighty weird one, canīt figure out if the drum machine sounds like this for athistic purposes or if itīs an accident)
Sarcofago - The laws of Scourge 7/10
Boris - Dronevil Final 10/10
Steve von Till - A grave is a grim horse 7/10
Blotted Science - The machines of Demetia 7/10
Melvins - Bullhead 8/10
Old 01-07-2010, 12:43 AM
So the new Devin Townsend Project CD is incredible. It's some of the catchiest stuff I've EVER heard. Plus, the fact that Anneke van Giersbergen does vocals on it is even better.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Febuary 23. WO-HOO!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:

Febuary 23. WO-HOO!
Yeah, I saw that cover art the other day. Fucking badass. I've been meaning to check out High On Fire for awhile now.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:08 PM
So I just saw Scale the Summit, the Devin Townsend Project, Cynic, and Between the Buried and Me last night in Atlanta. It was a pretty good show. Cynic was probably my favorite of the four, Which is surprising considering that I worship everything Devin Townsend touches.

It was kind of shocking to me that Devin Townsend went on before Cynic, since he is a legend to me. Devin sounded great live, but he was plagued by severe technical difficulties. The first two of Devin's songs (Disruptr & Supercrush) went off without a problem, but the samples started to mess up when the tried to play "Truth," and for the rest of the set we had to hear the "click track" along with the songs. They played some song that I haven't heard before, which may be off of Deconstruction, ZTO, and By Your Command. It was a very short set, and Devin was very humorous and apologetic about the technical difficulties.

Cynic went off without a hitch and sounded great. They played two songs off of Focus and the rest was from Traced in Air. They played King of Those Who Know, which is my favorite song of theirs. It was thier first Atlanta show ever, and I really enjoyed it.

Between the Buried and Me was good, but their fans are annoying douchebags. They all dress like Turtle from Entourage, only they are taller, fatter, and much more aggressive. Moshing during a guitar solo is just poor etiquette.

I wish BTBAM would work on their mixing, because I had a very hard time distinguishing the melodic instruments from the drums. The drums were way too loud and it resulted in everything sounding the same. Turn the guitars up please. At least they played Swim to the Moon.

At $15, I would definitely recommend this tour for those of you who are into these bands.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 PM
^ Definitely want to go to that. They're coming to Philly on the 31st, so I'll be trying to mightiest to make it there. I'm not crazy about BTBM and I've never heard of Scale the Summit, but Cynic and Devin Townsend on one bill is far, far too good to pass up.

Also, been listening to Converge - Axe to Fall. Monstrous album, fantastic.

Also, finally got Mastodon - Blood Mountain, Boris - Smile, and Baroness - Blue Record. All are amazing.

Last edited by Powerslave; 01-10-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 PM
I just joined a few days ago, was breezin' thru the threads, nice to see some metalheads. My fav's are Ackercocke, Behemoth, Aeon, Cephalic Carnage, Nile, Arch Enemy, Despised Icon, Gojira, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Annihilator... shit I could go on and on till the break of dawn. Currently listening to Dawn of Demise - Hate Takes Its Form(07). Peace
Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
New High on Fire song, "Frost Hammer"!: http://stereogum.com/archives/new_hi...re_108881.html
Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Not sould on the new High on Fire so far, the song sounds like generic trash metal for too long. Theirīs way too liitle of their earthquake-in-the-making style of sound for me. I dunno, I hope this isnīt the final mix it sounds restrained for some reason. Still, Iīm waiting for the whole thing and then judge it.

Been on a big BORIS kick lately again, anyone familiar with "The Thing which Solomon overlooked 2"?. The opening track "Nooneīs grieve 2" is like their best song Iīve ever heard. It just kills, blows you through the wall. Fairly awesome.

Canīt stop listening to "St. Valentineīs day Massacre" by Motörhead/Girlschool. "Please donīt touch" is shaking!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:18 PM
New Armored Sain't song "Left Hook From Right Field": , pretty rocking socking

http://www.myspace.com/armoredsaint1

Last edited by HannibalGuy; 01-20-2010 at 06:37 AM..
Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehydrator View Post
Not sould on the new High on Fire so far, the song sounds like generic trash metal for too long. Theirīs way too liitle of their earthquake-in-the-making style of sound for me. I dunno, I hope this isnīt the final mix it sounds restrained for some reason. Still, Iīm waiting for the whole thing and then judge it.
Agreed! It's a little to polished for High On Fire.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
Agreed! It's a little to polished for High On Fire.
I wouldn't call it polished, dry is what comes to my mind. The song itself is good, but it IS Fidelman producing it so I'm going to be nervous until the album comes out.

Haven't done one of these in a while, lets see...

Kilslug - Live At Church 2007
Melvins - The Bootlicker
Melvins - Hostile Ambient Takeover
Mourning Beloveth - A Murderous Circus
Mounring Beloveth - A Disease For the Ages
Corrosion of Conformity - America's Volume Dealer
Profetus - Coronation of the Black Sun
Solitude Aeturnus - Through The Darkest Hour
Old 02-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Picked up Fear Factory:Mechanize and Overkill: Ironbound today. Both sound like they should. Both bands picked up the speed with these new releases.

Gene Hoglan plays drums for FF now. I cant tell the difference between him and former drummer R.J. Herra. The drumming is really good, but its not that different from previous FF releases.

Sounds like Overkill was listening to Megadeths Endgame a little during their recording. Overkill picked brought the speed metal a little more than on previous albums.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratlehed View Post
Sounds like Overkill was listening to Megadeths Endgame a little during their recording. Overkill picked brought the speed metal a little more than on previous albums.
I was thinking it was going to be like the last 2 albums (I liked both BTW) but it's totally got an old-school feel. Some real fucking neck-snappers on it.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:23 AM

Anyone else into this band? Horror themed death metal.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
New Armored Sain't song "Left Hook From Right Field": , pretty rocking socking

http://www.myspace.com/armoredsaint1
Pretty cool song. Can't believe it will be their first album in ten years. In fact, it will only be their third studio album in the past 20 years! WTF?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Pretty cool song. Can't believe it will be their first album in ten years. In fact, it will only be their third studio album in the past 20 years! WTF?
I didn't think they would ever do another album, then they started doing more and more gigs so I got hopeful. Seriously one of the most underrated bands ever.

I read this morning that Rex Brown (Down, Pantera) is in a new band called Arms of the Sun. Not a clue as to what it's gonna sound like. Heard his health is much better, great news obviously and he's still in Down.

High on Fire released the title track for their new one: http://www.spin.com/articles/exclusi...song-high-fire

Meshuggah's live DVD/CD Alive came out in the states today. Hopefully my copy arrives tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Armored Saint is a solid band. They are just to sporadic with albums and tours. I still listen to Symbol of Salvation and March of the Saint from time to time.

I hope John Bush goes back to Anthrax though.

Oh yeah- to continue the revolving door that is the Megadeth line-up. Dave Ellefson is back on bass.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Finally in the process of transferring all my old tapes and found Malevolent Creation's Retribution. It might have to go back into heavy rotation after 14 years.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I love metal. Always have.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 AM
It's Febuary 13th, 40 fucking years since BLACK SABBATH released their debut album therefore it's fucking BLACK SABBATH day, so EVERYBODY listen to SABBATH!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 PM
So when we were painting this side of the house the other day, my mom and I went through her and my father's old vinyls. I pulled out some of their King Crimson albums (In The Court of the Crimson King, Lizard, In the Wake of Poseidon and Discipline); holy shit, why didn't I listen to them sooner? ITCOTCK is fucking amazing.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:43 AM
What's going on, guys? It's been over a month since anyone posted! Anyway, I'm just going to say that the new Dillinger Escape Plan album fucking kills. Best thing they've done since Calculating Infinity (and I fucking love Miss Machine and Ire Works).
Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 PM
I need to check out that new DEP. New High On Fire is really good. And, has a few more different sounding songs than they are known for. Latest album by Daughters is pretty crazy as well, but that might not be classified as true metal.

Burzum/Varg Vikernes's first album in 11 years came out a few weeks ago. I know Varg's a scumbag murderer, but this does peak my interest a bit. Has anyone heard it yet?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Been cranking some power metal as of late... Brainstorm (Liquid Monster is awesome and a hell of an album title, Downburst is a close second on the awesome scale), Hammerfall, Dream Evil, Edguy and Avantasia are all on my playlist.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:15 PM
New DEP is really fucking good. Some mindblowing songs on there and is probably their most intense album since Calculating Infinity. It's not flawless though. I will say that Puciato's Mike Patton impersonation is getting kind of old on some songs like "Widower". I know that's his thing and it works greatly on some songs ("I Wouldn't If You Didn't" is awesome) but I wish he would develop his own singing style instead of trying to sound like Patton as much as he can. But, if you want to ape a singing style, I guess ape from one of the best singers.

The piano playing by Mike Garson who also worked with David Bowie among others fit in so well with this album and is the best part of some songs like "Widower". It's way better than Ire Works which I thought was disappointing. I don't know about Miss Machine though, I haven't listened to that one in a long time though.

New Burzum is also really good and sounds exactly like the old stuff. I have to let it sink in before I compare to the older ones.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 03-18-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
New DEP is really fucking good. Some mindblowing songs on there and is probably their most intense album since Calculating Infinity. It's not flawless though. I will say that Puciato's Mike Patton impersonation is getting kind of old on some songs like "Widower". I know that's his thing and it works greatly on some songs ("I Wouldn't If You Didn't" is awesome) but I wish he would develop his own singing style instead of trying to sound like Patton as much as he can. But, if you want to ape a singing style, I guess ape from one of the best singers.

The piano playing by Mike Garson who also worked with David Bowie among others fit in so well with this album and is the best part of some songs like "Widower". It's way better than Ire Works which I thought was disappointing. I don't know about Miss Machine though, I haven't listened to that one in a long time though.

New Burzum is also really good and sounds exactly like the old stuff. I have to let it sink in before I compare to the older ones.
Widower's my favorite song on the album. And as much as I hate Varg as a human being, I'm curious about the new album.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 PM
I looooooooooove miss machine so much. so much.

dep are ridiculous live too. when i saw them they were playing in a club and it was insane, one of the guitarists (cant remember his name, the newest one) shredded whilst walking along the bar booting drinks. there was glass and whiskey everywhere. it was amazing. how they can play like that and run around and be so crazy is awesome.

What's peoples opinions on Converge? They are poossibly my favourite band ever. i know they are more hardcore/punk than metal but i think they still can be talked about in here. kurt ballou is a genius. there drummer is out of this world. and jacob bannon, well... hes pretty much a monster. a very emotional monster. judging by his lyrics. wish he wouldnt make every album have the exact same cover art with a different colour scheme though...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Old 03-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastman View Post
What's peoples opinions on Converge? They are poossibly my favourite band ever. i know they are more hardcore/punk than metal but i think they still can be talked about in here. kurt ballou is a genius. there drummer is out of this world. and jacob bannon, well... hes pretty much a monster. a very emotional monster. judging by his lyrics. wish he wouldnt make every album have the exact same cover art with a different colour scheme though...
I have mixed feelings. Their albums are alright, but once I saw them live (in between Priestess, which was awesome, and Mastodon, which was fucking awesome) it was hard to go back. It was awful. I literally couldn't tell the songs apart and it just fell like one long song. I guess they really aren't just my cup of tea.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
After letting the album sink in, Burzum's latest is really good for a comeback album. It's about on the level of his pre prison albums though is not as ambient or electronic as last few albums. This one has a lot of thrashy parts and sounds a lot like his first album. Nothing really jumped out as a classic song on first listen and a few songs drag like hell ("Morgenroede" being one in particular), but it is a damn good album and worth a listen. One thing that has changed is the vocals as either Varg must have been trying to practice and improve his voice because the piercing nails on a chalkboard vocals are not to be found in this album. Sometimes the tortured yells fit in (The vocals fit perfectly in songs like "My Journey To The Stars" but stick out like a sore thumb in songs like "War"), but I'm glad he stuck to the style of vocal he started with Filosfem.

The latest album by Sigh called Scenes From Hell is incredible. Might be my favorite metal album of the year at this point, but I haven't heard much yet. These guys have yet to disappoint.

I love me some Converge. Jane Doe is one of my favorite albums ever and "Heaven In Her Arms" is one of my favorite songs. Petitioning The Empty Sky, When Forever Comes Crashing, and You Fail Me are all amazing albums as well. No Heroes was kind of a misstep, but Axe To Fall is slightly below the level of the previous albums, but still pretty great. I loved them when I saw them live. Such an intense experience. I could tell all the songs apart when I saw them but that was around 5 years ago. They could've gotten worst live since then. And, if they performed a bunch of songs from No Heroes (An album where most of the songs sound the same) than I could see that being a problem.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 03-19-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
After letting the album sink in, Burzum's latest is really good for a comeback album. It's about on the level of his pre prison albums though is not as ambient or electronic as last few albums. This one has a lot of thrashy parts and sounds a lot like his first album. Nothing really jumped out as a classic song on first listen and a few songs drag like hell ("Morgenroede" being one in particular), but it is a damn good album and worth a listen. One thing that has changed is the vocals as either Varg must have been trying to practice and improve his voice because the piercing nails on a chalkboard vocals are not to be found in this album. Sometimes the tortured yells fit in (The vocals fit perfectly in songs like "My Journey To The Stars" but stick out like a sore thumb in songs like "War"), but I'm glad he stuck to the style of vocal he started with Filosfem.

The latest album by Sigh called Scenes From Hell is incredible. Might be my favorite metal album of the year at this point, but I haven't heard much yet. These guys have yet to disappoint.

I love me some Converge. Jane Doe is one of my favorite albums ever and "Heaven In Her Arms" is one of my favorite songs. Petitioning The Empty Sky, When Forever Comes Crashing, and You Fail Me are all amazing albums as well. No Heroes was kind of a misstep, but Axe To Fall is slightly below the level of the previous albums, but still pretty great. I loved them when I saw them live. Such an intense experience. I could tell all the songs apart when I saw them but that was around 5 years ago. They could've gotten worst live since then. And, if they performed a bunch of songs from No Heroes (An album where most of the songs sound the same) than I could see that being a problem.
Shit. I totally forgot Scenes From Hell came out. A lot of people seem to hate Sigh now because of the addition of Mikannibal; all I'll say is that the first video they released off the album was pretty god awful (video wise, not song wise). XD But yeah, Sigh is awesome. Imaginary Sonicscape is unreal.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Oh, and let me just add that when Greg sings "I couldn't hold onto the things that mattered to you" in Widower, I get a fucking chill.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:30 PM
After a second listen, "Widower" has grown on me a lot. The second half is really great and the song kind of sounds like Mastodon at points. I don't really know why I singled that song out. I still don't dig "Chinese Whispers" that much.

Anyways, the best news I heard in a while is that Gorguts are releasing a new album. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=137107

This has some samples. The music doesn't sound as ugly and intense as Obscura (One of my favorite albums ever), but the vocals being absent are a big part of that. Obscura had some of the creepiest and most discomforting vocal sounds I've ever heard. Luc sounded like he was being tortured and having an asthma attack at the same time, it was wonderful. The new music still sounds very promising and it sounds just as complex as all their other albums.

The latest album by Alcest just replaced Scenes From Hell by Sigh as my new favorite metal album of this year. I love how Niege manages to blend indie/shoegazing music with black metal so perfectly. I like the Amesoeurs album last year a little better, but it's just as great as the first Alcest album.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 PM
So I just picked up the new Immolation album, not really having heard anything by them before today other than one or two songs. It was a very well made purchase. It's absolutely fucking crushing. One of the best DM albums I've heard in awhile. I need to pick up Close to a World Below now. I also picked up the new Dark Fortress album "Ylem" because I was in the mood for some black metal. Good shit. I gotta pick up Snakes of the Divine soon. And I can't wait for Option Paralysis to come in the mail.