Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
The reason why every Final Fantasy installment since VII has been stacked up against it is because Final Fantasy VII was the only one who understood what a good RPG was all about and actually got it right: the story and characters. And NONE of the main villains since VII have been anywhere near as memorable as Sephiroth. Hell, you didn't even know who the main villain was in VIII until you fought her at the very end.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxManShoes View Post
The reason why every Final Fantasy installment since VII has been stacked up against it is because Final Fantasy VII was the only one who understood what a good RPG was all about and actually got it right: the story and characters. And NONE of the main villains since VII have been anywhere near as memorable as Sephiroth. Hell, you didn't even know who the main villain was in VIII until you fought her at the very end.
not to Nerd out on you but this is a horribly "VII is the best ever" biased post. The first FF was an amazing game even though it completely lacked any amount of story sort of "you are hero's so go save the world".

VI (the USA's III) is an amazing game regardless of genre. It had a great story and i'm sorry but Kefka is a more memorable villain then Sephroth was. Kefka was the evil fucker that wouldn't hesitate to burn down a castle of ppl or poison the water supply of a nation if it tickled his fancy. Sephroth was a whinney douche with mother issues.

VIII also has a great story though it's main character is probably one of the least popular through out the series. And you find out who Ultimecia is on the second disk actually and regardless of that what difference does it really make if you had only found out who she was until the end? Also the Junction system was a refreshing breath of air over the old weapon/armor upgrading in every town that had dominated the series till that date.

Only the Job system comes close to this but i enjoy Junction more and i can't recall if job system games had the armor or not or if they just affected what you could were, i think it's the latter.

VII isn't without it's flaws either. You got Aries who while she works as a mcguffin is one of the biggest throw aways in the series to date. The Summon system was brutally imbalanced, i mean why the fuck should i really care about lvling Ifrit to 5 stars when Neo Bahamut will out dmg him on the first use. I know i'm being sort of general here but you see what i'm getting at, or at least i hope.

While i agree VII is a great game and one that revolutionized the series in terms of graphics and what is shown on screen but the idea that every game coming after should be some sort of carbon copy with the names changed makes no sense.

But to each his own, VIII forever bitches
Old 02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
not to Nerd out on you but this is a horribly "VII is the best ever" biased post. The first FF was an amazing game even though it completely lacked any amount of story sort of "you are hero's so go save the world".

VI (the USA's III) is an amazing game regardless of genre. It had a great story and i'm sorry but Kefka is a more memorable villain then Sephroth was. Kefka was the evil fucker that wouldn't hesitate to burn down a castle of ppl or poison the water supply of a nation if it tickled his fancy. Sephroth was a whinney douche with mother issues.

VIII also has a great story though it's main character is probably one of the least popular through out the series. And you find out who Ultimecia is on the second disk actually and regardless of that what difference does it really make if you had only found out who she was until the end? Also the Junction system was a refreshing breath of air over the old weapon/armor upgrading in every town that had dominated the series till that date.

Only the Job system comes close to this but i enjoy Junction more and i can't recall if job system games had the armor or not or if they just affected what you could were, i think it's the latter.

VII isn't without it's flaws either. You got Aries who while she works as a mcguffin is one of the biggest throw aways in the series to date. The Summon system was brutally imbalanced, i mean why the fuck should i really care about lvling Ifrit to 5 stars when Neo Bahamut will out dmg him on the first use. I know i'm being sort of general here but you see what i'm getting at, or at least i hope.

While i agree VII is a great game and one that revolutionized the series in terms of graphics and what is shown on screen but the idea that every game coming after should be some sort of carbon copy with the names changed makes no sense.

But to each his own, VIII forever bitches
Where'd you get the idea that I was implying every FF game be exactly like VII? All I'm saying is Final Fantasy games should make story and character just as important, if not more so, than the battle system, because it's the former which will keep me glued to the very end of the 50 hour adventure. The story is the reason why I put up with repetitive dungeon crawling and mindless level grinding to get to the very end. Without the story, all you have is a 50 hour long game with abundantly pointless filler and much of nothing else.

This is the reason why I prefer western RPG's now. Sure, their adventures are shorter, but the idea here is quality, not quantity. And the first Final Fantasy sucked for the exact same reason you praised it. No story, no character, and just too fucking old. And yes, I did just say it was too old. I don't fall into the belief retro games are better simply for the fact they're retro. Unlike film, I don't find the videogame medium as something that stands the test of time, simply because of the ever-increasing technology that changes what you can actually DO in a game.

Last edited by BoxManShoes; 02-16-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Old 02-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Where'd you get the idea that I was implying every FF game be exactly like VII? All I'm saying is Final Fantasy games should make story and character just as important, if not more so, than the battle system, because it's the former which will keep me glued to the very end of the 50 hour adventure. The story is the reason why I put up with repetitive dungeon crawling and mindless level grinding to get to the very end. Without the story, all you have is a 50 hour long game with abundantly pointless filler and much of nothing else.

This is the reason why I prefer western RPG's now. Sure, their adventures are shorter, but the idea here is quality, not quantity.
OK then give some examples on how VII's story is so stellar compared to the rest of the serise
Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
To be honest though, I've kind of grown out of JRPG's and just don't find their silly, ridiculous over-the-top stories and cheery, annoying characters to be compelling anymore.

Western RPGs > JRPGs
You clearly haven't played the Shin Megami Tensei series then.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Quote:
The reason that every game ever VII is stacked up against it is because it was the landmark entry in the series, not because it was the only one that had a good story and characters. Before FFVII, Final Fantasy was popular, but not nearly the phenomenon it was today. FFVII showed what an RPG could be with the technology.

Saying the Final Fantasy VII was the only one that "got it right" is just plain wrong. Both of the stories in FFIV and FFVI were amazing, FFVI being one of the best I've ever played in any game. I can guarantee that if FFVI had been the first one made on PS1, we'd be stacking every subsequent installment up against that one, not VII.

FFVII is still a fucking fantastic game, and it deserves the "one of the best games ever made" moniker. It just makes me sad because nowadays most of the "fanboys" don't even know why they like FFVII anymore and why it's actually so good. They just like it because it's FFVII.

That being said, I've heard plenty of people say that the characters are great (it's more of an ensemble cast this time around, instead of one character being the main focus ala Cloud) and while not nearly as good as the rest of the series, the story is certainly engaging. I've taken everything I've read with a grain of salt because this happens when ANY Final Fantasy game comes out: everyone fucking whines and whines because it's not enough like their favorite FF game. I can guarantee if it wasn't part of the Final Fantasy series, people wouldn't be so harsh on it.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd3657 View Post
I can guarantee if it wasn't part of the Final Fantasy series, people wouldn't be so harsh on it.
Fo shizzle
Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
That being said, I've heard plenty of people say that the characters are great (it's more of an ensemble cast this time around, instead of one character being the main focus ala Cloud) and while not nearly as good as the rest of the series, the story is certainly engaging. I've taken everything I've read with a grain of salt because this happens when ANY Final Fantasy game comes out: everyone fucking whines and whines because it's not enough like their favorite FF game. I can guarantee if it wasn't part of the Final Fantasy series, people wouldn't be so harsh on it.
Yeah, I've come to realize that with Final Fantasy games, they're all worth playing, and I just have to make my own opinion. People complained about XII a lot too. I read people upset about the gambits, but I found that to be the best FF innovation since the job classes were introduced in III. People didn't like the lack of a true central character, but I loved that idea because in past games, when everything relies on one or two characters, it's impossible to enjoy the game if you don't like those characters (reason I think X is the worst the series). But with XII, even if you didn't like Vaan, does it really detract from the gaming experience? I've said this before, but I would actually argue that Ashe is the main character of XII, if I had to choose one.

As for stories, I always feel if you want a great story, you should read a book. Great stories are not really part of a great gaming experience. Video games are for fun, and while good stories certainly can add to that, it's not a necessity. Zelda games are about saving a princess, and they always are amazing. When a game has a great story (like Bioshock, Indigo Prophecy, or FFVI) it's just icing on the cake and can take a game from "great" to "transcendant". But I certainly don't need a great story to enjoy a game. As long as it's not a completely worthless story that doesn't engage me, I don't care. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking.

I always felt the key to RPGs is characters. That's what makes me care about the story: not the intricacies of the plot itself, but because I (hopefully) genuinely care about the fates of the characters. That's the reason I love IX and XII so much. The stories weren't all that deep, but the characters were interesting enough that I wanted to see see what happened to each of them.

And yeah, you're right about how fanboys are always overcritical of FF games. For those people who believe that media outlets are too kind to FF games, take a minute to look at Gamerankings scores for the FF games. Is there REALLY anything so outlandish about them? I can't find anything personally (except Tacticts being only an 83... that game was brilliant). I think in general, we have absurdly high expectations for FF games, and thankfully, there hasn't been a genuinely awful game. Are some better than others? Absolutely. But were any of them (sans Mystic Quest) truly bad games? I have a hard time believing they were.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 AM
heh, i was wondering when someone was going to mention Mystic Quest. I've personally never enjoyed the Crystal Chronicles systems but i'm sure they are still good games in their own right.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 PM
My favorite FF game is still Final Fantasy Tactics. *shrug*
Old 02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Yeah, I've come to realize that with Final Fantasy games, they're all worth playing, and I just have to make my own opinion. People complained about XII a lot too. I read people upset about the gambits, but I found that to be the best FF innovation since the job classes were introduced in III. People didn't like the lack of a true central character, but I loved that idea because in past games, when everything relies on one or two characters, it's impossible to enjoy the game if you don't like those characters (reason I think X is the worst the series). But with XII, even if you didn't like Vaan, does it really detract from the gaming experience? I've said this before, but I would actually argue that Ashe is the main character of XII, if I had to choose one.

As for stories, I always feel if you want a great story, you should read a book. Great stories are not really part of a great gaming experience. Video games are for fun, and while good stories certainly can add to that, it's not a necessity. Zelda games are about saving a princess, and they always are amazing. When a game has a great story (like Bioshock, Indigo Prophecy, or FFVI) it's just icing on the cake and can take a game from "great" to "transcendant". But I certainly don't need a great story to enjoy a game. As long as it's not a completely worthless story that doesn't engage me, I don't care. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking.

I always felt the key to RPGs is characters. That's what makes me care about the story: not the intricacies of the plot itself, but because I (hopefully) genuinely care about the fates of the characters. That's the reason I love IX and XII so much. The stories weren't all that deep, but the characters were interesting enough that I wanted to see see what happened to each of them.

And yeah, you're right about how fanboys are always overcritical of FF games. For those people who believe that media outlets are too kind to FF games, take a minute to look at Gamerankings scores for the FF games. Is there REALLY anything so outlandish about them? I can't find anything personally (except Tacticts being only an 83... that game was brilliant). I think in general, we have absurdly high expectations for FF games, and thankfully, there hasn't been a genuinely awful game. Are some better than others? Absolutely. But were any of them (sans Mystic Quest) truly bad games? I have a hard time believing they were.
I'll use Lost Odyssey as an example. The actual story in that game wasn't particularly new or completely engaging (not to say it was bad), but what kept me going was the great characters, particularly Kaim. Usually the "ZOMG I HAVE AMNESIA" cliche is irritating, but they pulled it off really well in that.

And hey, I happen to like Mystic Quest. XD It really shouldn't have been called Final Fantasy because it didn't have ANYTHING to do with the series, other than dealing with crystals.

And hell, even though X-2 has an awful story, I still find it a lot of fun to play. The battle system is fun as hell; I love how it's a throwback to the job system from V.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Quote:
I'll use Lost Odyssey as an example. The actual story in that game wasn't particularly new or completely engaging (not to say it was bad), but what kept me going was the great characters, particularly Kaim. Usually the "ZOMG I HAVE AMNESIA" cliche is irritating, but they pulled it off really well in that.
Exactly.

For some reason, people expect Final Fantasy games to have these grand, intricate plots. Very few games have that. Heck, even many WRPGS don't have particularly inspired or unique plots.

It's not about a deep, cinematic plot. It's about how it's executed, and wanting to see what happens. I feel the same way about Lost Odyssey. I felt the same way about Dragon Age, because even though it felt like playing through Lord of the Rings, I grew to love the characters (you know, once you actually spent hours talking to them and discovered that they're not as horribly cliche as they appeared) and wanted to see what happened (the fact that, to an extent, you control their fates makes it even more awesome). With few exceptions, JRPGs don't have stories as deep as Bioshock or Indigo Prophecy. In fact, few games in general do. But for some reason, I feel it gets held against Final Fantasy games more than other games. Maybe it's just the way I see it, but why don't we care about the lack of plot in Zelda or Ninja Gaiden, yet we're quick to throw any FF game under the bus that doesn't have some sort of Dickensian level story? Maybe we just expect too much from our RPGs.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 02-18-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
I loved Mystic Quest too, though it was no masterpiece. I don't understand the comment that "It didn't have anything to do with Final Fantasy" which is confusing to me, because aside from X and X-2 and Tactics/12, none of the Final Fantasy games have anything to do with each other

Tactics on the other hand... well I just never understood the love that some people have that terrible game.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Tactics on the other hand... well I just never understood the love that some people have that terrible game.
The original Tactics on PS1? It had a great, complex, and very adult story. It had one of the best implementations of the job system, complex characters, a fantastic score, and addictive RTS gameplay. It also took the Final Fantasy series in a fresh new direction. The Gameboy/DS sequels pale in comparison, but the original FFTactics is rightly considered to be a great game.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Quote:
I loved Mystic Quest too, though it was no masterpiece. I don't understand the comment that "It didn't have anything to do with Final Fantasy" which is confusing to me, because aside from X and X-2 and Tactics/12, none of the Final Fantasy games have anything to do with each other

Well, there were no familiar enemies, themes, etc. I mean, if you're going to call it Final Fantasy at least put a Chocobo in there.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Well not in a direct story sense but there are things that get carried over like Wedge and Biggs, the various versions of Cid and Bahamut's been there sine the first installment. But i don't recall Mystic Quest having any of these.... though in terms of when it's was released i'm not sure if these trends existed yet so it may all be moot.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Has anyone played the Japanese demo? Aside from not understanding what the characters are saying, as I am not fluent in Japanese, I found the gameplay to be great and it was surprisingly long for a trial version. The music and battle mode are a large step up from FFXII IMO. It raised my excitement for the final game.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Two weeks. Two fucking weeks. I can't believe we're winding down. It's been a long haul, but we're almost there. You know what's even better? I have all week off to relax and play some of my current games that I still need to beat.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I read through a lot of the posts and I couldnt tell for sure as most of the talk seems to regard people's opinions on past entries - is this thread about Final Fantasy 14? If so, I just applied for the beta a few days ago. I havent played a FF since FFX, and admittedly only played 7, 8, 9 and X. I outgrew them, or so I call it; around my 9th grade year. Im curious to fire up FF7 and 9 again though, I really have fond memories and my usual games arent really doing it for me currently (MMORPGs and FPS mostly w/ some horror-survival and such).
Old 02-23-2010, 02:08 PM
It's pretty much just a general Final Fantasy thread i believe. If you want to start a thread to discuss XIV then go ahead, probably easier to keep track of.

If you get a chance go and play VI (USA III). It's an amazing game and what made me fall in love with the series.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Peanut View Post
I read through a lot of the posts and I couldnt tell for sure as most of the talk seems to regard people's opinions on past entries - is this thread about Final Fantasy 14? If so, I just applied for the beta a few days ago. I havent played a FF since FFX, and admittedly only played 7, 8, 9 and X. I outgrew them, or so I call it; around my 9th grade year. Im curious to fire up FF7 and 9 again though, I really have fond memories and my usual games arent really doing it for me currently (MMORPGs and FPS mostly w/ some horror-survival and such).
Is the beta for PS3 and PC or just PC only? Because I'd love to apply, but my PC is a piece of shit. It's like 12 years old.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:29 AM
God damn it the 9th can't come fast enough . but i guess it's not that bad since i'm still trying to get through Fallout 3 GOTY edition, still got 2 and a 1/2 expansions to finish.

Also gotten sucked up into Dissidia Final Fantasy now that i have gotten a good handle on the battle system and controls.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
From the general reviews and hype this game has got in Japan, I'm eager to try this out for myself. I haven't played a F.F game since VII back on the PC, so I'll be definately getting it for the 360 when it comes out. Dunno if it'll be Day 1 purchase yet. I still haven't gotten my copy of Bioshock 2 yet, and I really want to finish Mass Effect 2 before I move on to another RPG.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Is the beta for PS3 and PC or just PC only? Because I'd love to apply, but my PC is a piece of shit. It's like 12 years old.
They are doing both but they are doing them separate. Im sorry but I cant recall if I read they already snagged the people for the PS3 beta or if it was coming at a later time. The site is currently taking Windows PC users though.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Less then 7 days now, good god i can't wait to get this effin game. Just about to finish up Fallout 3 GotY and will pretty much just be jumping into XIII once it's out on tuesday. I feel sort of sorry for my other games as FO3 has pretty much dominated the system for me since i got it and now FF XIII is going to take it's place lol.

Don't worry Oblivion, Silent Hill Homecoming and...... i have another game that i barely play that i can't recall the name of now.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Should we make an official FFXIII thread so we can discuss more in depth about it in the coming weeks without accidentally spoiling anything for people in this thread?
Old 03-31-2010, 04:51 PM
FF14

FF14 reveals the playable races and clans:

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/03/3...ion/#more-2877

I have to admit I am pretty disappointed. They seem like exact copies of FF11 races.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow, wtf, they ARE the same races from FFXI. It seems so lazy and uninspired, this is the same team that made the original FFXI right? So it makes a little sense, but as far as I knew this game is set in a different world than that of FFXI, so why have identical races? However, I will say that I'm okay with the inclusion of Tarutarus, those things were the best part about FFXI.

I'm disappointed, but I'll still keep an open mind. I'm interested to see where they take this game. FFXI had a lot of potential, and I played it for quite some time and enjoyed it, but it also had it's fair share of flaws. The lack of any ability to solo, too much grinding, etc. I really hope this is not a FFXI clone with updated graphics, because they need to make some serious changes to compete with more successful MMOs like WoW.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Wow, where are all the people who used to post here?

Anyway, gotta say, this franchise has really fallen off. XIII was so weak, and XIII-2, while a bit better, just bothered me, mainly because of its existence. I know it sounds harsh, but of all the games to get a sequel, why that one?

Now there are reports that Versus XIII is still in production, even though there was a rumor that the staff had moved on to Final Fantasy XV. Such a mess. All I know is the longer that takes, the longer we wait for Kingdom Hearts III. Does any one even remember what the Keyblade Wars are any more?

Honestly, just give us an HD remake of VII. Isn't that the best business move possible?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 AM
I was reading the other day that Versus had been shelved but there are mixed reports. They never should have tried to do the whole 3 games in the same universe shtick anyways.

The only one of the 3 that ever came out was FFXIII and it only got a sequel because they used the majority of the existing code form XIII to make it.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM
The entire Fabula Whatever project was just far too ambitious. I was excited for it at first, then after actually playing XIII, I lost interest.

Part of me wants to see Versus just because I thought Kingdom Hearts 2 was a ton of fun and since we'll never get KH3, Versus might be the only potential game from that staff. Part of me wants them to move on to something original. Part of me wants a VII HD Remake just because I can't imagine it being too difficult and it's obviously the best business move they could make.

This franchise frustrates me so much, mainly because I tried to get into WRPGs and I just can't do it. Elder Scrolls games don't do it for me, and neither do Bioware games (other than the first Dragon Age). I want some solid JRPGs!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Wow I can't believe my last post here was 2 years ago. Whatever happened to FFXIV? It seems like the FF games kind of go under the radar these days. They used to be the BIGGEST games around with endless marketing and promotion. I never did play FFXIII...
Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Wow I can't believe my last post here was 2 years ago. Whatever happened to FFXIV? It seems like the FF games kind of go under the radar these days. They used to be the BIGGEST games around with endless marketing and promotion. I never did play FFXIII...
FFXIV is an online one and a sort of sequel to FFXI which was also online.

FFXIII is a polarizing one. I enjoy it and have over 100 hrs clocked in it but a lot of ppl complained about different aspects of it.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:16 AM
I had a thread about the latest FF but I was basically talking to myself so I stopped bothering posting about Final Fantasy here.

Either way, 13 - 2 was really fun to me and I have every intention of buying 13-3 when it comes out.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:06 PM
I heard XIII-2 was an upgrade on the original. But still, that entire world just isn't all that interesting to me so it through this many games.

I'd rather them move on to something new, or explore older worlds in more detail.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
I had a thread about the latest FF but I was basically talking to myself so I stopped bothering posting about Final Fantasy here.

Either way, 13 - 2 was really fun to me and I have every intention of buying 13-3 when it comes out.
There's a XIII-3 coming?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
There was apparently an ambiguous ending to XIII-2 that implies more might be coming. I didn't pay much attention to the story since I didn't play the game, but it did bother me that they would consider ANOTHER game in this universe and not give us an HD remake of VII. As much as I love Lightning (and for the record, despite my general dislike of XIII, I do really like her), I just don't think her story merits this many games.

I'm not even sure what I want from this franchise any more. It's given me so much over the years already, and given the fact that the stories are unique to each other (unlike Metal Gear Solid, for example) it's downright amazing how many of these games I've loved. Do they have any more great original ideas left for stories? Can they tweak the gameplay to make it even more fun? I really don't know. All I can say is, since VII (their undisputed most popular game, even if you want to argue against it being their best), the games in the main sequence have been very hit or miss to me. I didn't like VIII (poor characters, didn't like the junction), X (voice acting... "yes"), or XIII (again, characters bothered me, especially when they were forced on my party). I thought IX and XII were both excellent.

Given that track record, statisticall speaking, I shouldn't expect much from XV, but I would still buy it if it came out tomorrow. I think I'd rather see a remake of VII, but whatever. But I can understand if they don't want to risk ruining its legacy with something half-hearted (like Lucas and all his stupid Star Wars tweaks).
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Apparently there will be a big announcement regarding Final Fantasy on Friday at PAX. It seems to deal with the future of... Lightning.

OK, as much as I disliked FF XIII, I'll admit that I did like Lightning. But seriously, are they REALLY giving this a 3rd game? I think it would be an outrage if this gets 3 console games.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Apparently there will be a big announcement regarding Final Fantasy on Friday at PAX. It seems to deal with the future of... Lightning.

OK, as much as I disliked FF XIII, I'll admit that I did like Lightning. But seriously, are they REALLY giving this a 3rd game? I think it would be an outrage if this gets 3 console games.
Did you play the 2nd one? It was mostly an improvement to me so I am looking forward to the 3rd.

They are probably just tired of having to create all new characters and all new games every couple years. I mean there is only so much you can do with the genre to begin with. Most people believe it's been pretty stagnant anyways.

I personally wish they would go back to their roots. Dragon Quest 8 was a shining example of how you can make a really great classic JRPG in a modern time. (Side note, if you haven't played DQ8 yet it's highly recommended.)
Old 09-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Didn't play XIII-2. It seems to be universally considered better than the first one.

But what I don't understand is, if they don't want to create new characters (which is understandable), WHY NOT GIVE US THE VII HD REMAKE!?!?!?!? I understand there is an appeal about Lightning (among my favorite FF females), but I guess my outrage is not based on XIII being bad (it's really not a BAD game, just not up to the standards of FF in my opinion) but more on the illogical decision to keep pumping them out. Does XIII really deserve 3 console games, when better (and more popular) Final Fantasy installments only got 1?

Embarrassingly, I haven't played Dragon Quest 8. Need to add it to my list. As much as I play modern Western RPGs and am impressed by them, my favorite RPGs are still Japanese. That's why I'm so in to Last Story right now. For what I like about video games (fun and characters), JRPGs > WRPGs