Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 PM
"At Least You Don't Live in Haiti..."

Is anyone allowed to have a shitty day anymore without this awful phrase being thrown at them?

Just the other day I overheard a conversation where some guy was worried because he had just gotten fired and he didn't know how he was going to provide for his family. The guy he was with says, "Well, at least you're not one of those people trapped in the rubble in Haiti." This guy was wearing a very nice suit and tie while the other guy was clearly working class. This is when you know that this phrase has gone too far.

And considering how fickle people are, I'm sure this phrase is going to change whenever the next humanitarian crisis strikes, because it has in the past. Anyone else who would like to see an end to this condescending phrase must speak up.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Sometimes lame attempts at comforting people do more harm than good. At least you can focus your annoyance on that, instead of whatever it is that's bothering you. But those attempts usually just sound so cliche, especially coming from somebody you don't know.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 PM
At least you're not getting anally raped in prison.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heart Collector View Post
At least you're not getting anally raped in a Haitian prison.
Fixed that for you.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM
I wonder what's shaking in Haiti these days anyway.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 AM
At least you're not getting anally raped in the rubble of a Haitian prison.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 PM
At least you're not getting anally raped in the burning rubble of a haitian prison.