Old 02-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Some cool shit to talk about while you're high

The 10th Dimension by Rob Bryanton

Rob has a lot of entertaining and easy-to-comprehend explanations for a lot of space-time theories like string theory, quantum physics, and multiple universes or extra dimensions. Some of it is pretty mind-blowing just to think about it. You can also check out his YouTube channel here
Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Ahh yes yes. I have spent many hours over sites like that while my computer room gets hazier and hazier. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:16 PM
I watched Altered States again the other day (great flick btw) and it got my pondering, reality-questioning juices flowing. Anybody here believe that its possible that certain psychedelics may help people experience real states of consciousness that are as real as the "sober" consciousness, or am I just tripping nuts? Personally, I believe it's a bunk theory, nonetheless, it is interesting to hear other people's take on it.

*hits bong*
Old 02-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxManShoes View Post
I watched Altered States again the other day (great flick btw) and it got my pondering, reality-questioning juices flowing. Anybody here believe that its possible that certain psychedelics may help people experience real states of consciousness that are as real as the "sober" consciousness, or am I just tripping nuts? Personally, I believe it's a bunk theory, nonetheless, it is interesting to hear other people's take on it.

*hits bong*
Ahh, i've never seen Altered States, but recently added it to my Netflix Instant Que, I'm gonna have to check it out now.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
Ahh, i've never seen Altered States, but recently added it to my Netflix Instant Que, I'm gonna have to check it out now.
One of my favorite films. If you like trippy shit, this is absolutely a no-brainer.

I've never tried any psychedelics (only smoke weed though I may try shrooms one day) and it's an interesting idea but yeah, not one that really gets you anywhere. Altered States takes it to its most entertaining extreme though

As for the ideas of other states of reality, I've always been really into that stuff - it's partially why I find lucid dreaming so fascinating - because the few times that I've had lucid dreams, they've felt like I was there in a way that I don't get from normal dreams. In fact, they've often felt "hyperreal" like I was experiencing everything with all my senses except it was even more vivid than my real life.

In the same way, the ideas in movies like the Matrix and Dark City have always intrigued me. What if what we are experiencing ISN'T reality as we know it? What if, let's say we were in a dream world being utilized as batteries just like in The Matrix? Or we were that little universe in the marble in Men in Black?

My argument would actually be opposite of The Matrix - I don't think it's necessary to "break free" of the Matrix at all. In fact, I don't think it matters if you are unaware of an outer reality. Because you can never know if the reality you are in is the "true reality", it's just a neverending Matryoshka doll so reality is what your mind makes of the place or state you're in. Because of that, I'd argue that if you lucid dreamed your entire life, that would be reality for you. I don't think the idea of the Matrix is all that different from what any religion tells us about the world.

Sorry, that was a random ramble. But it gives you an idea of what I used to talk about for hours with my roommates. My favorite subjects tend to be death, higher beings, dreams, afterlife, other civilizations and worlds, and the impending end of our civilization. And no, I wasn't even high half the time .

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 02-13-2010 at 04:44 PM..
Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
One of my favorite films. If you like trippy shit, this is absolutely a no-brainer.

I've never tried any psychedelics (only smoke weed though I may try shrooms one day) and it's an interesting idea but yeah, not one that really gets you anywhere. Altered States takes it to its most entertaining extreme though

As for the ideas of other states of reality, I've always been really into that stuff - it's partially why I find lucid dreaming so fascinating - because the few times that I've had lucid dreams, they've felt like I was there in a way that I don't get from normal dreams. In fact, they've often felt "hyperreal" like I was experiencing everything with all my senses except it was even more vivid than my real life.

In the same way, the ideas in movies like the Matrix and Dark City have always intrigued me. What if what we are experiencing ISN'T reality as we know it? What if, let's say we were in a dream world being utilized as batteries just like in The Matrix? Or we were that little universe in the marble in Men in Black?

My argument would actually be opposite of The Matrix - I don't think it's necessary to "break free" of the Matrix at all. In fact, I don't think it matters if you are unaware of an outer reality. Because you can never know if the reality you are in is the "true reality", it's just a neverending Matryoshka doll so reality is what your mind makes of the place or state you're in. Because of that, I'd argue that if you lucid dreamed your entire life, that would be reality for you. I don't think the idea of the Matrix is all that different from what any religion tells us about the world.

Sorry, that was a random ramble. But it gives you an idea of what I used to talk about for hours with my roommates. My favorite subjects tend to be death, higher beings, dreams, afterlife, other civilizations and worlds, and the impending end of our civilization. And no, I wasn't even high half the time .
Do you believe that DMT plays an important factor in our brains? Like how some scientists have claimed that DMT is primarily the sole cause of dreaming, in that, when you are in the deep stages of REM sleep, you're actually having an hallucinogenic experience.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 AM
I had a conversation with a friend today about string theory and other possible theories for universe creation, which reminded me of this thread. So, I decided to bump it with my dick.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
I've never tried any psychedelics (only smoke weed though I may try shrooms one day) and it's an interesting idea but yeah, not one that really gets you anywhere.
good bump box.

What do you mean by that statement pheonix?

Psychedelic experiences can be life altering! They allow you to see the world in ways you have never fathomed. It can kill your ego and let you view yourself as if you're learning all about yourself for the very first time. It's silly to think tripping wont' get you anywhere. Tripping has provided some of the most memorable experiences of my life and I wouldn't trade those moments with anything ( i rank my first time tripping at an equal level of losing my virginity as for as memorable life altering experiences go).
Old 03-09-2010, 01:04 PM
It's only through my own psychedelic experiences that I've truly been able to realize what goes on deep in my brain. Of course, I'll never have it fully tapped, and I'll never fully understand just what the fuck is going on in there most of the time - but - these substances have allowed me to take a look at the world and at my own mind with a whole new perspective. They basically take away what is there and show me what is not there, more or less.

I like the idea of dreams being nothing more than mini DMT trips we take in our sleep. Having never had the opportunity to use any DMT, I'll have to keep dreaming.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I tried Salvia Divinirum once. Got eaten by a flower, chased the baby Jesus, and marveled at a Stegosaurus...in that order.

I still don't get it.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Salvia is not cool.

My trip consisted of making me question if my entire life up until that point had been nothing but a dream as I seemed to wake up in a high school class room with everyone staring at me.

Then I went on a roller coaster from hell, complete with underwater dunking.

Then I thought I was in a Mountain Dew commercial.

All in the span of 5 very twisted minutes.

I'm not making any of that shit up, either.