Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 05:25 PM
What did you do for your first job? A couple people asked me this!

I received a couple private messages through AIM and Twitter asking me what I did as an early job.

When I was a teenager, I was a narc and personal shopper for Best Buy, Toy's R Us, Woodfield Mall, Orland Square Mall, Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Sunglass Hut, and the movie theater. I also had to narc Hollywood Park, Odyssey Fun World, and a variety of others.

(One thing about Odyssey: It started off very clean and well established with people's kids from the surrounding subburbs in the 90's. Visiting again two years ago [this wasn't part of any job], it has turned into the Ghetto and is very filthy. It's gone down hill tremendously and now one could think it was a drug corner.)

Funcoland: This is one of my narc stories. I tried to return a paid/sealed for game as it was part of my narc to check out on employees. I had a receipt too. The guy told me to take it back to Toys R Us. This was right around the time the place was busted for drugs and the employees were found out sealing used games in the backroom and returning them to Toys R Us for store credit. This is all around the time Toys R Us started requiring a receipt for returns.

I was that hidden guy like Johnny Depp on Donnie Brosco -- just not in the shady industry.

I was paid in Best Buy gift certificates, free restaurant meals, cool sunglasses (which unfortunately broke and they were my favorites), movie tickets, stocks (which sort of resulted in crap since the economy bust), a mall browinsh suade jacket (which I loved and still have), and a variety of other items. Mall clothes, candy from the candy stores, etc. The actual pay was pathetic, but the perks more than made up for it.

I also sourced for Ebay before before the economy burst.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What did you guys do as your first job?

Last edited by waterslideguy; 03-22-2010 at 05:29 PM..
Old 03-22-2010, 06:05 PM
My first proper job was at McHell. I hated every solitary second of it, largely because even before i saw the shit being prepared I hated the sorry excuse for food that's served there.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:36 PM
You could say babysitting was my first job, but as far as steady paychecks are concerned, my first job was working at the video store I'm currently at (I left in '06 for school, came back in '07, left in '08, and came back again in '09).
Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Bag boy for the local grocery store. We lost a lot of good men.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Pizza delivery was my first job. I hated it, was boring as hell. Everyone's always like man that's a great job you get to listen to music! But it's essentially six hours of being by yourself with nobody to talk to and being bored to tears of the same cd repeating over and over that eventually you just turn off the music.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:48 PM
worked at Burger King for two years wasn't fun
Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Winn-Dixie.

I was 14 and was paid shitty ass minimum wage to retrieve carts in an absurdly large parking lot. When I wasn't doing that I was bagging groceries. No regrets tho. Everyone starts somewhere.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Bagger/Cartboy/Manager's bitch, Kroger's.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
When I was 14, I think, I worked for my Uncle who co-owned a concession stand at a local race track. It was a pretty big stand. We cooked hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, popcorn, nachos, etc. Everyone paid cash and I had to add everything in my head as the cash registers were not programmed in any way. It was every Saturday night for one summer. Usually from about 4:00 to midnight. I made $25 a night in straight cash, homey.

It was crazy-loud once the cars got going and it could get pretty hectic and busy, but I liked it. It was also a really good experience for me because it really beefed up my math skills in terms of adding money.

My first "real" job was at a dry cleaner. It wasn't bad. Customers could be gigantic cunts, but it was mostly fun and I worked with cool people.

It was also the first job I was ever fired from. My district manager was an uptight bitch.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 PM
My first job was at a newspaper. I was 14 and worked twice a week. I put weekly sales ads in the paper.

I had like 15 part time jobs from age 14-20. Some where good and some really sucked. But it was good life experiance.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Security for Tyson Foods....very,very boring...
Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo_bcsd View Post
Security for Tyson Foods....very,very boring...
You guarded chicken?
My first j o b was at Papa Johns pizza where i prepared pizza and buffalo wings for a whopping $6.00 an hour.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 AM
At 12, I worked at a sleazy motel for under the table wages. My job was to clean the grounds, which more-or-less consisted of picking up used needles and condoms.

My first job as an adult was working at an auto auction. That was simply an awesome job. I got to drive cars that I'll probably never afford, and often had to travel out of town to bring cars in. I also didn't get fired after I ran into my boss in the parking lot and totaled his golf cart with a truck. (and oddly enough, in my working career, that wasn't the last time I hit my bosses car in a parking lot... it's like there's an evil inside of me, just brewing...)
Old 03-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Book inventory for the city's public schools.

Basically put bar codes on text books over a summer.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloneofkelso View Post
You guarded chicken?
My first j o b was at Papa Johns pizza where i prepared pizza and buffalo wings for a whopping $6.00 an hour.

Yes I did.USDA,as far as I know,won't let a plant that processes food run without security.I believe it's a Homeland Security thing.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:40 AM
A Mexican restaurant.
I love Mexican food even now.
Then, I worked at the same time at a video store. Quit the Mexican place and worked at a bowling alley (and I had a 202 average).

OK, that's three jobs. They all happened so close to each other in my past that it's almost like it was one job.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 AM
A three week tour of duty at McDonald's. I tried to follow the cliche "Journey Of A Teenager" to a T.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Security guard for a Sears outlet.
12pm to midnight guarding a warehouse full of hot pants.
I shit you not.
No weapons, just a flashlight and an attitude of "I am NOT sacrificing my life for some hot pants".
I worked there for over a year until my boss, a Roid junkie who was said to have beaten the shit out of certain guards in my area because they spoke back to him came to MY site.
The automatic gate was broken that kept these giant 18 wheelers from just rolling into the warehouse and he ordered me to park my car in front of the gate like a barricade or he was going to beat me like a rented mule.

I left my flashlight and guard's shirt and said goodbye to that job.
Roid rage is a reality, my friends.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I worked at a Blockbuster franchise for about a year and half starting October of my senior year of High School. I hated that fucking place. I'd always have to deal with crack heads and drunks. I started out at about $5.50 an hour. I had a guy who I thought was going to kick my ass because I told him he had a $2.12 late fee, and that was on my first night. I'd also have people get really bent out of shape when I said I didn't like a movie they liked. The only thing cool about it was that we could watch movies although we couldn't watch any thing past PG-13. Very few people I know ever liked their first job.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I had a paper route. What made it col, though, is that I did my route in my own neighbourhood - so I asked all my mum and dad's friends if they wanted me to deliver their paper, too. I then went to the shop I worked at, collected my newspapers, filled my newspapers with my own customers newspapers, then delivered them.

This act of theft meant I never paid for my customers papers (more money for me); and I was paid two wages.

Yes, immoral. But I was also very rich for an 11 year old.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
My first job was at a Wal-Mart unloading the delivery trucks and stocking the shelves. I enjoyed it...worked with some kick ass people and the customers could be a trip sometimes.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Bagger/Cartboy/Manager's bitch
Now my bitch...

Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
First under the table job was working for my dad at his sign production shop. Lots of real estate signs and bill boards.

My first taxable income came when i was a Button Pushing Monkey..... sorry, i mean a Baker at Tim Hortons. Did it for about a year a year or two out of high school and it was during their change over from freshly made in the stores to frozen product.

I had, no word of a lie, supped up Easy Bake Oven. You load the frozen donuts onto the tray/rack and then put them in the oven and press the appropriate donut button and TA-DA!

I will admit though that a chocolate Timbit that's just had the glaze dry and that is still warm in the middle is fucking orgazmic!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Grocery Store Cashier/Bagger/Stocker extraordinaire... your apples never knew what hit them (some knew actually... stay paying off the legal fees)
Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
At 12, I worked at a sleazy motel for under the table wages. My job was to clean the grounds, which more-or-less consisted of picking up used needles and condoms.

My first job as an adult was working at an auto auction. That was simply an awesome job. I got to drive cars that I'll probably never afford, and often had to travel out of town to bring cars in. I also didn't get fired after I ran into my boss in the parking lot and totaled his golf cart with a truck. (and oddly enough, in my working career, that wasn't the last time I hit my bosses car in a parking lot... it's like there's an evil inside of me, just brewing...)
We all now about the evil we just don't say anything.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 PM
My first job was at Mcdonalds in May 1998 and Im still there
Old 03-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Actually, I am currently in the middle of my first job! Believe it or not. Working at a record store and loving every minute of it. Still wish Blockbuster were looking for employees, though... but music is a very respectable second to movies.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 PM
First job was as a paper deliverer for the local paper. I lived Deep River, which is a small town in Ontario with a population of 4000 so I just delivered to around my neighborhood. I think I was maybe 11 or 12. Didn't have the entrepreneurial savvy that Reigh did though (genius by the way), just straight-up delivered them. Rainy days especially sucked major ass.

Technically, I started volunteering earlier - I volunteered at the long-term care centre from when I was 10 till 13 but I didn't get pay for that so...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:16 PM
First job was working in a shitty call centre. Quite it after 8 weeks (I know, I know)

After that, I worked as an undercover dole seeker for about 2 years.

I now work in my local Credit Union, which is only a 5 minute walk from my house so I don't waste a quarter of my wages on bus fair. Yippee
Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Worked as a waiter at a retirement center. Not all that bad. Although I hated wearing the uniforms (getting all dressed and having to wear a fuckin bowtie). The old folks were cool and still "with it" . I didnt get any creepy old lady asking me "are you my grandson?" so that was good lol
Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I was 13 and it was at a very small, and now defunct, mom and pop video store in my town. I got the job because I was in there literally every day getting videos and knew the store like the back of my hand was practically friends with the existing employees, including the owners. One day I was at lunch with my aunt and cousins and the owner came in and saw me and came over and said 'I need some extra help and seeing as how you're at the store every day, do you want a job?'

Being so young I couldnt even fill out a work permit, I ended up working for $5 an hour and put down my hours on an index card, and was paid cash at the end of every week. The money was chump change as the best parts of the job were free unlimited rentals, free posters and free drinks/snacks.

Then, a little over a year later, my dumbass got into a really petty fight with the owner and instead of just getting over it, I quit.

Sigh.....best job I ever had (up until now).
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
My first job was in Mcdonalds.

I worked there for arround 2 yrs..
Old 03-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Taco Bell was my first. Back when the meat was actually cooked.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM
My first paid job was at 18, selling newspaper subscriptions door to door.

It was shit: walking around in the heat wearing a ridiculous uniform, getting bitched at by people, having doors slammed in my face, and spending hours making phone calls to people who gave a rat's ass about your product.

I think I only sold one subscription overall, but it didn't last long; after a couple of months, the paper realized they weren't selling, so they cancelled the whole thing. I stuck around, and ended up writing movie reviews for them for an entire year. So it worked itself out.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm still at my first job.

I am part customer service part butcher and part cleaner at a meat department here at a ma and pa grocery store. Occasionally between all the horrible customers you get some cool ones and I work with cool people. It's not a bad job.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by athf1980 View Post
My first job was at Mcdonalds in May 1998 and Im still there
That is so funny because McDonalds was my first as well and I TOO started in May of 1998!

I'm not there anymore though. I quite about a year and a half later to work at Regal Cinemas.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:52 PM
My first job was being a Dickee Dee ice cream vendor. Riding the bike with the giant cooler attached to the front. Circling the neighborhood, ringing that little bell. Not getting wage, but getting 25% of my sales. Fun times.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 PM
First job was Albertsons. A now going out of business grocery chain in Florida.

Bagboy/cartboy/cashier/stocker/moper...everything.

Did that for about 5 months then I just never went back. No two weeks notice, no call no nothing. My paycheck was never there when it was supposed to be and it was always short. Not the mention the manager was an absolute bitch who would literally curse and insult employee's right in front of each other.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
Taco Bell was my first. Back when the meat was actually cooked.
yeah the managers used to really teach you to do job in old days

But now they seem to throw kids into this type of work and some dont even know what they are doing

I love my Chocolate sudae and l will go up and order it and it is never done properly grins

It is supposed to be all over the icecream but it is only hot fuged on one side of the cup.

Or sometimes it is filled up with so much icecream that it over flows