Old 01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Treme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWsGbuimD9U

April. Can hardly wait.

Lost in Feb, Breaking Bad in March, Treme in April. Hells yes.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Surprise surprise, HBO has the most promising list of shows premiering this year. Game of Thrones, Scorsese's Boardwalk Empire (Stephen Graham as Al Capone has got to be a contender for the best thing to ever occur), Spielberg's The Pacific mini-series, and of course, Treme. The teaser doesn't give much away, but it gave me chills all the same. David Simon is responsible for the best televsion ever created, and this sounds like it could be something special as well.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
HBO's drama series' have been lacking since The Wire/The Sopranos finished, but they're coming back STRONG this year.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 PM
What's this about?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Musicians and people in New Orleans.

Stars Steve Zahn, Clarke Peters, Wendell Pierce, John Goodman, Melissa Leo, Kim Dickens, Khandi Alexander.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Awesome teaser. Can't wait.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Word.

I always thought Steve Zahn was underrated. John Goodman owns. It'll be great to see him regularly on TV again, especially in a drama...
Old 01-23-2010, 05:26 PM
This will most probably be brilliant, They have chose a really strong bunch of people to cast.

Steve Zahn is a great actor that never really hit it big.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
teaser was wicked
Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM
new trailer is real sik! the track be harsh too
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Awesome. I'm loving the aesthetic - the hyper-realistic and yet somehow still stylized look that was ever so prominent in The Wire. The trailer certainly sets a promising tone for the show. And what a cast! Aside from Steve Zahn and at least two Wire alumni, we've also got Melissa Leo as well! Which is great. In short, I'm definitely looking forward to this: I've seen three works by David Simon - The Corner, The Wire and Generation Kill - and he has yet to disappoint.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
And what a cast! Aside from Steve Zahn and at least two Wire alumni, we've also got Melissa Leo as well!
Yeah that got me too, watching the trailer and spotting all those familiar faces (Bunk and Lester from The Wire, John Goodman, the ones you mentioned) just added to the excitement I've had building since I first heard about this. I'd watch anything David Simon does, but along with the great cast and idea (struggling musicians in post-Katrina New Orleans) I have to say I really can't wait.

Quote:
I've seen three works by David Simon - The Corner, The Wire and Generation Kill - and he has yet to disappoint.
If you have time I'd strongly recommend you watch Homicide: Life on the Street, which Simon also wrote. It has a completely different feel to The Wire, but it's still a fantastic show and worth your time.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackassFan View Post
If you have time I'd strongly recommend you watch Homicide: Life on the Street, which Simon also wrote. It has a completely different feel to The Wire, but it's still a fantastic show and worth your time.
I've been meaning to get around to that eventually, but it's not that simple - Generation Kill and Corner are 7 and 6 episodes each, respectively; The Wire was a whopping 60 that took me a few months to get through. And Homicide is DOUBLE that, 122 episodes. It's a lot @_@ But I think I'll probably get around to it at some point... Thanks for the recommend!

Oh, and of course, how could I forget to mention the almighty John Goodman?! One of the most exciting aspects of the show. He's a great actor who really disappeared from the limelight during the past 7 or 8 years... I'm glad to see him going back to his TV roots, and for something this classy at that.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Sad news: David Mills, one of the writers on 'Treme' (and also of 'The Wire', 'ER', 'NYPD Blue' and 'Homicide') died yesterday

http://www.nola.com/treme-hbo/index....ills_dies.html
Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackassFan View Post
I'll second the recommendation (The Wire dethroned Homicide as my favorite show, or at least caused me to start calling Homicide "The best network show in history") but I have to quibble with that characterization. I think they're actually fairly similar.

I won't expound at length on the common themes (which go deeper than the location and situations they each depict) or similar characters (Keema is a more fully developed version of Stivers and it's clear to me that Bunk and Meldrick are derived from the same root character, a guy who can be found in the pages of Simon's original book that Homicide was based on), I'll just say that it's a show that's worth your time.

If and when you watch it, give it time to play out. They didn't hit stride until the second mini-season. It got better and better for several years before slipping (mainly due to NBC's impatience and interference) near the end.

As for Treme, I'm all over it. I was sold at "David Simon." Wendell Pierce and Clarke Peters just add to embarrassment of riches.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Jesus this is gonna be gold.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 AM
This looks great. And as always Goodman steals the show.

"Bad food, bad music, bad city what the fuck are you doing here anyway?!"
Old 04-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeTheMooCow View Post
Sad news: David Mills, one of the writers on 'Treme' (and also of 'The Wire', 'ER', 'NYPD Blue' and 'Homicide') died yesterday

http://www.nola.com/treme-hbo/index....ills_dies.html
That is sad news, from his resume he seemed very much talented. RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
I'll second the recommendation (The Wire dethroned Homicide as my favorite show, or at least caused me to start calling Homicide "The best network show in history") but I have to quibble with that characterization. I think they're actually fairly similar.
I can accept there are similarities and maybe "completely different feel" was a bit excessive. I was just referring to comparing the two shows directly side by side, I see that done so much (since they're both gritty detective series from David Simon) so I wanted to point out to someone who's seen The Wire not to expect the exact same thing from Homicide. And yes, it is a fantastic show that's definitely worth spending time on.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Just a reminder: the 90-minute (!!) series premiere is tonight at 10PM est.

though that obviously means 11 for some of us because it interferes with sweet sweet breaking bad time
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 AM
yes! since i don't live in the usa, i be downloading the first ep tomo around breakfast
Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 AM
David Simon is hitting more homeruns than a roided Barry Bonds....fuck does he even know how to write below genius level, absolutely everything that man touches is just wow. This will probably blow the Emmy's away, because if it doesn't and you consider that The Wire didn't in 5 years of it's run.....they will get absolutely destroyed for it.

Anyways, yep, in the The Wire/Sopranos top-tier level of TV.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:51 PM
The scene with Wendell and his little girl (and the running joke about his cab fare problems) were last night's highlights.

They would do well not to lean too heavily on Zahn's character. He's already working on my last few nerves.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:50 AM
John Goodman is back, motherfuckers!

Really liked what I saw from the whole cast. Hopefully Steve Zahn tones it down a bit, but I wasn't really bothered.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post

They would do well not to lean too heavily on Zahn's character. He's already working on my last few nerves.
yup i didn't like him at all. i hope he gets shot up by omar next week

it's certainly good enough to keep me watching. i dug albert
Old 04-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
yup i didn't like him at all. i hope he gets shot up by omar next week
"You'd best be gettin' outta my face with them damn CDs, son."
Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM
I love, love, LOVED it.

The opening scenes had me tapping my feet like nodding my noggin like the carnival had came into town.

It's going to be tough for me to separate Wendell Pierce from the inimitable Bunk, but his taxi-fare dodging character Antoine is already warming my very cockles.

I also loved the scene with Albert aka Lester Freamon and his feathery Mardi Gras outfit. It was equal parts amusing, poignant, tragic and bizarre.

Zahn's character was a little irksome, but I can definitely see him getting his comeuppance for being an oafish, arrogant swine. I did enjoy his speaker battle with his elderly white boy neighbours.

Goodman was exceptional in his scenes...and at this point I'm thinking his Wife could become one of my favourite characters in the entire show. She seems layered and absolutely interesting.

The soundtrack was phenomenal...the cinematography outstanding. I have high, high hopes for Treme and I can't see it letting me down.

Brilliant.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 PM
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-series-treme/

That was quick.

Exceptional pilot.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:44 AM
I loved the first episode so much.

That is all.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
It's going to be tough for me to separate Wendell Pierce from the inimitable Bunk, but his taxi-fare dodging character Antoine is already warming my very cockles.
Wendell Pierce is money in the damn bank. For anyone who doesn't know, he's actually from New Orleans. His scenes in Spike Lee's brilliant documentary When The Levees Broke are some of the very best in that tremendous film.
Quote:
Goodman was exceptional in his scenes...and at this point I'm thinking his Wife could become one of my favourite characters in the entire show. She seems layered and absolutely interesting.
Melissa Leo. She did excellent work as Det. Kay Howard on the first few seasons of Homicide.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 AM
There was an interview with Simon and Overmyer (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=125364838) that's worth listening to. They don't give away too much, but they mention stuff about Mardi Gras Indians, second lines, WWOZ, etc. - stuff that I didn't know much about and looked up. I really enjoyed the pilot, and the music is killer. I'm already listening to some Louis Prima because of that gorgeous wordless montage.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
I love, love, LOVED it.

The opening scenes had me tapping my feet like nodding my noggin like the carnival had came into town.
yup both the beginning and the end were bleedin' outstanding!

i have slight reservations, i'm not completely sold as yet but after the second ep i expect to be hooked
Old 04-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Oh. My. God. I'm so excited. I only ever caught on to the real great shows - The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, etc - in retrospect, and after their runs had finished already. But now, I get to enjoy being a part of an instant classic, and what is destined to be one of the great TV works of all time, as it is born. The pilot episode was phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. David Smon and crew took everything that was good about The Wire - the top-notch cinematography, the strong and multi-layered characters, the distinct dialogue with astute attention to local customs and slang - but left behind the police and drug trade procedural elements, leaving us with pure, unadultered human drama, and some of the best I've ever seen. The pilot did a flawless job at establishing a cast of varied and fascinating characters, its distinct use of its New Orleans setting, and a very high standard of realistic, real-life drama that will certainly prove to be one of the great TV shows of the coming decade, and of all time at that. Love it, love it, love it!
Old 04-17-2010, 02:02 AM
Just caught the premiere by accident on tv and sat through the whole thing even though I had work to do. Good pilot. Different dramawork from The Wire and Generation Kill. Fucking television! The quality of some programs... Up there in the stars. Less tampered with than popular film. Easier to access than indie efforts. If printed literature is slowing down, these programs are literature's second coming in a new medium. The cinematography is prose.

I like the ensemble. Khandi Alexander turned out better casting than I thought, and beyond the two public eye whites like Goodman and Zahn the rest of the actors are new enough to me to be fresh slates and ready made surprises. Looking forward to their performances.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:28 AM
I was on board (as I mentioned before) with Wendell and Clarke, but I was also looking forward to Melissa (who I know to be deeply talented) and I was especially happy to see Khandi and Kim Dickens (who have shone before in less than stellar material) get a chance to work with this creative team.

Excellent point about commercial films. Some quality still sneaks through there but it's become more and more like commercial TV once was: a cut-to-request medium designed to separate the dim and undemanding from their hard earned scratch.

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 04-19-2010 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: A stray "c" got away from me...
Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
Fucking television! The quality of some programs... Up there in the stars. Less tampered with than popular film. Easier to access than indie efforts. If printed literature is slowing down, these programs are literature's second coming in a new medium. The cinematography is prose.
Agreed.

The pilot was really good, laying down the foundation of what could be an exceptional season and series all together.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Oh. My. God. I'm so excited. I only ever caught on to the real great shows - The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, etc - in retrospect, and after their runs had finished already. But now, I get to enjoy being a part of an instant classic, and what is destined to be one of the great TV works of all time, as it is born.
I completely feel that too, and whenever I say The Wire is my favourite show someone always points out that I only caught on after it was done, and after it "became cool" to love it. It certainly is great to be a part of this from the very beginning.

Really enjoyed the pilot, what with it being a David Simon show I think it's obvious it's going to take a few episodes to get to know the vast expanse of characters properly. But having said that, something that surprised me was how much I felt for some of them, I don't know anything about Albert or the woman looking for her brother, but it still struck a cord when they were struggling with their respective problems. Great stuff, I think my only issue was trying to separate Wendell Pierce from Bunk, when he yelled "Motherfucker it ain't that funny!" I flashed back to a ton of scenes with him and a drunken McNulty.

And of course, the acting seems to be top-notch, especially from Goodman and Melissa Leo. All good so far.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Just caught the first episode. Solid. Pretty much agree with the aggravation about Zahn, but there are other good actors/performances to place him in the minor nuisance category (for now)

Most striking scene: Albert dressed up in the feather costume, receding silently into the still of the night. Beautiful image.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Melissa Leo and Clarke Peters are already impressing me. Great pilot and I'm really looking forward to episode 2 tonight.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:32 PM
I can see why Zahn's character might be annoying - but that's just the character! He's an annoying guy! And I admire his passion. If there's one thing that must be said about his character, it's that he's insanely passionate. All the actors are uniformly good, really, but I agree that Peters, Pierce, Leo and Goodman are, so far, stand-outs. I also really love Kim Dickens - but that might just be because I really liked her character in Deadwood, and that admiration is wearing off on Treme. Can't wait for tonight's episode!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Steve was a lot more bearable in ep 2. I'm cool with his stoned yo-yo act, I just don't like to hear him shout.

Albert's story took a damn dark turn tonight.